PDA

View Full Version : Motorola DTC2000 Plugin

Beelzebub
09-03-2003, 10:50 PM
I made a exe that works with the ExeTunerPlugin. It works great on my system. This should also work with the DCT2224, but I haven't tested it yet.

I'm going to make a better App in C++ anyway. This was just something I did quick in VB

Anyway here it is
Download Here (http://sio.midco.net/jmoffitt/DCT2000Plugin.zip)

Source Code (http://sio.midco.net/jmoffitt/DCT2000_src.zip)

andrewswright
09-07-2003, 08:11 PM
Just so you know, I had an error message that mscomm32.ocx was not registered. I had to find a download site to get a copy of the .ocx control and put it into the SageTV folder.

Once that was done the program worked like a charm. Thanks again for all of your work.

Andrew

andrewswright
09-10-2003, 10:23 PM
I've just realized that the ExeTuner plugin isn't passing channels above 99 correctly. Only the first 2 digits are passed, so that channel 104 actually changes the cable box to channel 10.

3 digit channel numbers work just fine with the dct.exe program.

Any ideas?

Andrew

salsbst
09-11-2003, 10:44 AM
The ExeTuner plugin changes 3-digits channels fine for me via Girder. I don't think the problem is in the ExeTuner plugin.

msm
09-12-2003, 04:36 AM
Yep, fine here for ExeTuner as well. I would check the actual scripting that looks at the parameter passed by ExeTunre and make sure that all the numbers are looped over etc

Just an idea...

Matt

farmboy03
09-14-2003, 12:07 PM
I have a Motorolla DCT2244 and installed the EXETuner plugin as instructed. It works great for 2 digit channels, but doesn't work for 3 digit channels. I have no idea what to look at, can anyone offer any help? Thanks.

andrewswright
09-15-2003, 09:56 PM
I figured out how to fix the 3 digit channel problem. Using notepad edit the dct.reg file. Delete the # sign in front of %channel%. Save the file and double-click on it to change the registry key.

I learned this by playing around with the dct.exe program from the command line. When I call dct #104, it goes to channel 10. When I cal dct 104, it goes to channel 104. This may vary depending on the cable system and whether the enter key is needed after entering the channel number. For what it's worth, I have Charter Digital Cable.

Andrew

farmboy03
09-16-2003, 05:48 AM
Serial control of my Motorolla DCT2244 is now working! I made the change to dct.reg this morning and it worked like a charm. Thanks for figuring this out! Once Sage TV 2.0 comes out I will finally have a real Tivo replacement.

Beelzebub
09-18-2003, 10:00 PM
Oops, the # wasn't suppose to be there in the firest place. I will fix that.

KJake
09-19-2003, 02:39 PM
Am I to understand that you can control a DCT2000 through the serial control now? Is the delay in changing the channel similar to using the IR contol?

andrewswright
09-19-2003, 05:07 PM
It's much faster and more reliable than the IR control. Not all Motorola boxes are set up to accept serial inputs. From reading the TIVO forums you may have to call your cable company and tell them you have a tivo and want serial control enabled. My DCT2000 box worked just fine, however.

The only problem so far with the serial control is that I get an error if I try to change the channel too quickly. Although channel changing is rapid, if I hit the channel up button twice in a row I get an error message. The problem seems to occur every time I try to change the channel before a previous channel change has completed.

Andrew

farmboy03
09-19-2003, 07:14 PM
When I run dct.exe and hit the plus/minus keys for channel up/down, it changes the channel on the box really quickly. But when I try channel up/down in SageTv, it sends the full 3 digits each time, which is as slow as the IR blaster. Is there a way to make Sage simply increment the channel # by one each time (like dct.exe does)? Thanks!

andrewswright
09-19-2003, 09:26 PM
I requested this in the feature request thread. There were some comments by others not liking this feature, as not everyone likes to scan up and down by channel, and not everyone has their channels in numerical order.

I suggested that this be made an option that can be turned off and on. It shouldn't be too hard to make the program smart enough to know if the next channel in sequence is actually the next numerical channel. If it is then just send the channel up or down command. If it isn't then send the 3 digits.

As it stands now, I have my basic cable running into the RF connection of my PV250 and the digital cable running into the composite connector. I am using the new version of the XMLTV plugin that allows for two inputs. I have assigned the basic channels to the tuner-cable input and the digital channels to the composite input. That way all of the basic channels change very quickly. When I get to the higher channels, it uses the serial connection to the digital cable box to change channels.

Andrew

Bandit
09-19-2003, 10:31 PM
I already have mine all setup and working great with the actsys. What benefit would I see from switching over to serial port control?

Thanks

KJake
09-20-2003, 11:08 PM
Well, Comcast in my area doesn't know how to turn the port on. I called them saying I was trying to setup my Tivo, and explained lots of things to them, they also did research on the internet with me and believe me that this is a feature of Tivo, but they don't know. So I got their name and extension and I'm going to bug them about it until they can turn it on.

I can tell some part of it is working because when I unplug the power from the DCT and plug back in, I get a bunch of CTS notices from the program, but nothing will send. I have the right firmware and I'm using the serial cable from my UPS at the moment.

I will update to the status of Comcast, but from what I've heard they are shutting it off on purpose to force some people to start using the DVR that they are going to come out with. Apparently they sent an email/letter to a user on the Tivo forums about this.

Only time will tell...

Thanks for the tool though - I may be able to use it some day!

salsbst
09-22-2003, 08:57 AM
This is great evidence that the cable companies have way too much market power.

Beelzebub
09-22-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by farmboy03
When I run dct.exe and hit the plus/minus keys for channel up/down, it changes the channel on the box really quickly. But when I try channel up/down in SageTv, it sends the full 3 digits each time, which is as slow as the IR blaster. Is there a way to make Sage simply increment the channel # by one each time (like dct.exe does)? Thanks!

That can't be helped, Sage only sends the Channel# not Channel UP/Down command. I did code it to use Channel Up/Down if the channels follow each other. I.e 245, 246,247,248, but if the next channel after 248 is 259. It will have to send All 3 Digits.

I've only spent a few hours on this plugin, I'm going to make a better one later.

robn
10-07-2003, 08:29 PM
The plugin works great! However, everytime I change channels I am getting the popup boxes .. similar to the ones I would get if I changed channels after running dct.exe from the command line. Any ideas?

robn
10-07-2003, 08:39 PM
Nevermind, helps if the serial cable is plugged in!

rich
11-06-2003, 01:50 AM
Hello, could someone tell me where I could find the file refered to earlier in this thread "mscomm32.ocx".

Thanks!

salsbst
11-06-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by rich
Hello, could someone tell me where I could find the file refered to earlier in this thread "mscomm32.ocx".

Thanks! Near the bottom of the page: http://www.martin2k.co.uk/vb6/vb6download.php

dman
11-10-2003, 12:13 AM
Is there any way to check on a DCT2000 if the serial port is enabled? Via the setup/cable box/ see configuration menu or other. Any help would be much appreciated.

Beelzebub
11-12-2003, 07:35 AM
dman does it use the TVGuide menu's

dman
11-14-2003, 01:03 PM
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by TVGuide menu's. I can tell you that when I hit the menu button it brings up a number of options wherein I can select setup, cable box, and see configuration. I assumed there might be an entry on this screen that would tell you. I also can bring up another menu by hitting select within a couple of second of turning off the unit. I was wondering if either of these screens could tell me for sure whether or not the serial connection/ low speed data port was on.

justme
11-14-2003, 04:32 PM
dman does it use the TVGuide menu's
Do you mean that big red "TV Guide" logo that is inserted into any OSD on my cable box.

gpurcey
11-15-2003, 12:27 AM
First let me say thanks for getting a plug in to work with the cable boxes.

I have a Motorola 2244 and am running SageTV 1.4 using the EXE plug in as described earlier in this thread. I experienced all the same problems, and used the same solutions.

I can now change the channels on my cable box from Sage. It works quite well, with the following exception: Whenever I select a new channel from the channel guide (SAGE guide) or type in a new channel, I get some message about either the Ring indicator state has changed or the carrier detect state has changed. These appear in small dialog boxes with the title "Project 1". I assume they are being generated from the dct.exe program. IF I use only the channel up or channel down option, it seems I do not get these messages.

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to get these to stop appearing? I did experiment with the ACTISYS IR200L IR control just prior to trying the serial port control. Do you think this may have something to do with it?

Thanks for any help anyone might have.

gpurcey
11-15-2003, 04:27 PM
Thanks John for the revised dct.exe. It does not give me the before mentioned messages. Great job.

I am having difficulty within the Sage program getting it to change to a single digit channel. It seems to be stripping the leading zeros. I noticed that dct.exe from the command line seems to not care if there are leading zeros or not, and on mine always seems to successfully change the channel. But from Sage I seem to have a problem with the cable box ignoring the zeros and doesn't change. The up and down channel from Sage works fine.

I hope this makes sense to someone not familiar with my system!

If anyone has a suggestion, I'm listening...

dballer1
11-23-2003, 01:28 PM
KJake

I have the same issues. Did you ever get the serial line to work?

Beelzebub
11-25-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by gpurcey
Thanks John for the revised dct.exe. It does not give me the before mentioned messages. Great job.

I am having difficulty within the Sage program getting it to change to a single digit channel. It seems to be stripping the leading zeros. I noticed that dct.exe from the command line seems to not care if there are leading zeros or not, and on mine always seems to successfully change the channel. But from Sage I seem to have a problem with the cable box ignoring the zeros and doesn't change. The up and down channel from Sage works fine.

I hope this makes sense to someone not familiar with my system!

If anyone has a suggestion, I'm listening...

I kind have a small idea, of whats going on. I don't have time right now to work on it working alot overtime for Xmas. Just keep in touch and maybe we can jump on irc and mess with a few things.

gpurcey
11-26-2003, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I can identify with the busy schedule...
I haven't had time to check into it any more myself.
Hope you have a great Thanksgiving and I really appreciate the help you've already been.

wagner
11-28-2003, 02:07 AM
just wanted to add i had an easy time setting up and no problems using with my motorola DCT2224.

thanks Beelzebub!

wmsbrum
12-04-2003, 07:55 PM
How do you get the revised copy of dct? I kep getting the "Project1" messages.

Thanks,
Wmsbrum

ChuckD
01-04-2004, 03:02 AM
has anyone had any luck with the General Instrument Digital Cable Boxes?

RadioDave2K
01-07-2004, 06:24 PM
I am unsure of all of the various hardware being discussed here to communicate with the DCT-2000. However, I can tell you that the DCT-2000, DCT-2224 and DCT-2244 can be communicated with serially if the box is not running any additional software installed by your cable company as some may take the port over for other applications. Most of the time, there is not any except for the TV Guide/Gemstar stuff will not hurt serial comm. The box must be running 7.54 f/w or newer.

Your cable company MUST activate the port for you. You should talk to the person that runs that computer for sending out activation hits at your cable co.

I am an AMX programmer (home automation stuff) and am currently in the proces of trying to get serial comm established with a DCT-2000 on my own.

Later versions of TiVo can communicate serially with the DCT-2xxx. If anyone out there can sniff out the data being sent to the cable box from their TiVo, I would greatly appreciate it. Hex, binary or ASCII strings would be great.

I am trying to find someone locally here that has a TiVo so that I can take my stuff to their place and start sniffing.

Once again, if anyone has any string information related to the DCT-2xxx, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you very much,

David Rosenbloom
http://www.commtechsys.com

Thet
01-11-2004, 06:00 PM
The link to the cable box software 1st posted in this thread is dead. Could someone who downloaded the executable please repost it for us new users?

Thanks!

ry12a
01-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Has anyone made contact with a DCT2500 serial port yet?

Crowdx42
01-16-2004, 02:37 PM
Where can I get the dct.exe file? Also the link at the top of this thread does not work for me?

Beelzebub
01-18-2004, 06:05 PM
I just moved, and the cable company instead of transferring everything. They just transferred the internet. I lost all my emails, and webspace. I think this might have to call for a free month, since I lost my website. I have it all backed up, but its on my Jazz drive, and I don't think this PC could handle the scsi card and drive.

dkardatzke
02-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Please let us know if we can be any help in posting the Tuner plugin if your site has become unavailable.

Dan

Orthogonite
02-05-2004, 09:56 AM
Has the Tuner plugin been made available anywhere else on this site or the web? I would love to try it out, but as others have pointed out the original link is dead.

justme
02-06-2004, 12:36 AM
I don't know if this is the most recent version or not. Since it turned out my cable company would not enable my serial port, so I stopped following this software. But since I've seen at least sperate 4 posts requesting this in the last two days, here is the only version I downloaded. No warrantees, no guarantees, and I will pull the attachment at anytime the author requests.

Any feedback from the people who downloaded this attachment? Is it working, or is it a older version that is likely to just cause confusion for newer users? I'm assuming it's working for some, since no one has posted otherwise. As I stated I can't test it myself, I was just trying to help.

Feel Free to PM me. This should help keep this thread clean so others can easily find the link.

peterbasil
02-24-2004, 06:48 PM
The attachment above is not working for me. I know my serial port is enabled, however when I run the attachment above I am getting the project1 message box indicating that the carrier detects a changed state. I am trying to get this to work on an XP box.

justme
02-24-2004, 06:59 PM
I don't know what to say. We need the author of the program for this one. I've gotten many responses from people who say it works for them. I'm just trying to fill in with providing it until the author's site comes back up. Anyone else here who can help?

xcskwng
02-26-2004, 01:42 AM
This is a DCT2000 Serial Tuner plugin for Snapstream. It includes source code. There is information on the codes used to control the DCT2000. You can find more information on it here:

http://discuss2.snapstream.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11082

Hope this helps for those looking for more info on controlling the DCT2000.

justme
02-26-2004, 03:04 AM
Thank sxcskwng,
Hopefully this will help someone else pickup the slack until/if the author of the original plugin comes back/becomes active. If he doesn't then your info should provide the neccessary tools to farther develop this process.:) It's beyond my skills but now with the right tools maybe someone else can carry the torch into the future. Any volunteers?

rleeson
03-04-2004, 06:44 PM
Does any one have the pin-out for the cable to connect the DCT2000 to a PC serial port?? Is it straight through or cross-over; does it need any of the control lines straped?

Thanks

Orthogonite
03-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by rleeson
Does any one have the pin-out for the cable to connect the DCT2000 to a PC serial port?? Is it straight through or cross-over; does it need any of the control lines straped?

Thanks

You need a standard RS-232 straight through cable, sometimes also referred to as an extension cable.

Lumberjack
03-07-2004, 09:57 PM
Probably the wrong forum for this question, but if anybody can help it would be highly appreciated. Google found few threads for the 2224 and this one had the most info.

So I have a 2224 and just got TiVo. The serial port doesn't seem to be able to work however. From what I get from TiVo support and from some posts here it seems that I need to call Cox (my cable provider) and have them enable it. Does this sound right? Is there anyway else to enable it or test it?

Thanks,
Lumberjack

Edit: Cox support says that they don't use it so it's not possible to enable it, whatever that means.

coppit
03-09-2004, 06:42 PM
[Stupid question deleted by clueless poster] :)

snewman
04-08-2004, 11:06 AM
The original DCT2000 plugin works, but it keeps popping up a message box saying that the CTS has changed and I have to kill the application every time I change the channel.

The DCT2000Serial plugin is built as a DLL for SnapStream and won't work with Sage. So I took this one and hacked it into an EXE. This is a very crude hack and might occassionally change to the wrong channel.

I plan to eventually take the great work done by Jim Paris on his DCT app used for MythTV and port it to Windows. Jim's app will verify the channel changed correctly, turn on the box if necessary, etc.

In the meantime, the attachment works. I make no warranties about this app. It might blow up your machine or cause a meltdown. :) All I can tell you is, I'm using it to change channels on my box for the time being.

It does pop up a DOS window everytime it changes channels. I'll fix that in the next version.

Redemption
04-14-2004, 12:13 PM
The plugin posted by snewman works great for me in the Comcast bay area (didn't even have to call my cable company).
Only question was, how do you specify which com (serial) port the application should use. I'm looking at getting a second STB so that I am not limited on which tuner (i have two) can view/record the higher end channels (HBO, showtime, etc).
If i can set the serial port, figured I can just add a second registry entry that calls on dct2.exe (after making a copy) and it would tune the second receiver plugged into my second serial port.
Am I way off base here?

AndyS
04-14-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Redemption
Am I way off base here?

I hope you're not way off base because that's exactly what I want to do as well. I have two DCT2000s that I want to control from the same server.

FYI - If anyone is in the Cox Orange County, CA area - my DCT2000s have the correct firmware and the serial port is already enabled.

Andy.

AndyS
04-14-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by snewman
It does pop up a DOS window everytime it changes channels. I'll fix that in the next version.

Hate to sound pushy, but did you make any progress with the new version?

Andy.

EDIT: Oops! - thought your post was from 3/9. I guess I am being pushy!!

snewman
04-14-2004, 01:39 PM
Hate to sound pushy, but did you make any progress with the new version?

Not pushy, I understand :) . Unfortunately between work and the demands of a new puppy, it's killed all my free time currently. I hope to have the beginings of something up soon.

If i can set the serial port, figured I can just add a second registry entry that calls on dct2.exe (after making a copy) and it would tune the second receiver plugged into my second serial port.

I think the limitation here is in the EXETunerPlugin.dll file. I know almost nothing about this DLL and can't find any documentation on it. What you would need is a way for Sage to indicate which Tuner should be changed. If this is already being done and someone knows of a parameter that's being passed, please let me know.

It certainly would be easy, from the exe perspective, to change the channel on a given port if we just knew which port needed to be changed. :)

Redemption
04-14-2004, 02:13 PM
It certainly would be easy, from the exe perspective, to change the channel on a given port if we just knew which port needed to be changed. :) [/B]
SageTV lets you specify which plugin you want to use to change a channel if you specify that it's say tuner with cable box. Figured if the exe could be modified or a variable added to it to specify that one wanted to use Serial/Com port 2 instead of 1.
Figured I could just add in a duplicate plugin with a similar name and make an appropriate registry entry.

AndyS
04-14-2004, 02:22 PM
I took a quick look at EXETuner.DLL.

From what I can see, EXETunerPlugin passes parms from SageTV to any application defined in the Registry. It simply reads the Registry for the command string, and inserts a single parm %CHANNEL% into the command string.

It's exactly what the docs say it does - no extra hidden features, and nothing else passed from SageTV as far as I can tell.

Others might be able to look more critically at the DLL - I just did a quick look, but it doesn't look promising :(

Andy.

Crowdx42
04-14-2004, 02:26 PM
But you guys are saying that this exe will work with Comcast in the San Francisco Bay area? I have the DCT 2224 (I think it is) and it has the latest firmware etc, is this going to work with this box? I currently use USB-UIRT to change channels.
Patrick

Redemption
04-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Crowdx42
But you guys are saying that this exe will work with Comcast in the San Francisco Bay area? I have the DCT 2224 (I think it is) and it has the latest firmware etc, is this going to work with this box? I currently use USB-UIRT to change channels.
Patrick
As long as comcast uses the same firmware and configuration in San Jose as they do where you are. I don't remember the firmware (it was one of the numbers listed I found on the MythTV Mailling list regarding using one of their plugins to control the stb), i'll snag it when I get home and post it. Mine's a DCT2244 as well. Thing I like most about this is how quickly it changes channels (have yet to see it foul up like my IR blaster on replay does on occassion).

snewman
04-14-2004, 04:13 PM
SageTV lets you specify which plugin you want to use to change a channel if you specify that it's say tuner with cable box.

I don't have 2 tuners, so I didn't think about that. If it would let you add parameters to be passed to the exe, this idea would work. The problem I think you'll have with this is, when the DLL runs it's going to read the same entries from the registry to determine which exe to run and no matter how many tuners you have, the same command will always run.

I also took a look at the EXETunerPlugin.DLL. It seems to derive from TunerStub.DLL and both export the same 19 functions. I'm going to guess that TunerStub.dll is the base you need derive from in order to create a TunerPlugin. If we can figure out the Parameters and Return values for each of these functions, we might could create a different plugin to do what we need for multiple tuners.

Unless someone from Sage would be really nice and post the information necessary to create the plugin :D .

Crowdx42
04-14-2004, 04:28 PM
Well I tried it on my DCT2244 and it doesn't change channels,, when I tried to open the exe file it just flashes open and then closes again, doesn't give a chance to see what is happening. BUT I have the com port 1 as the port the cable is connected to.
Patrick

AndyS
04-14-2004, 04:45 PM
Patrick, did you try running the executable standalone? It has a GUI that you can use to change channels. You need to make sure that this works before interfacing with SageTV.

Andy.

Redemption
04-14-2004, 04:50 PM
Well I tried it on my DCT2244 and it doesn't change channels,, when I tried to open the exe file it just flashes open and then closes again, doesn't give a chance to see what is happening. BUT I have the com port 1 as the port the cable is connected to.
Patrick
Can't double click it in windows, it's not a gui app.
Start --> Run --> cmd
change to the directory it's in
then type dct ###
where ### equals the channel you want to change to. No need to include zero's ahead of numbers. For channel 4 you'd type dct 4 in the dos box. For 105 you'd type dct 105
It returns I believe two lines of code.
If it fails to work, please post what, if anything happens on your cable box (such as message lights, etc) as well as any text in the dos window.
Originally posted by AndyS
Patrick, did you try running the executable standalone? It has a GUI that you can use to change channels. You need to make sure that this works before interfacing with SageTV.
Andy.
The most recently listed attachment (posted by snewman) appeared to only be a dos based application.

Crowdx42
04-14-2004, 04:50 PM
You are referring to the DCT.exe file?
It just pops up really quick and then closes.
Patrick

AndyS
04-14-2004, 04:58 PM
Yes - I meant DCT.EXE. When I tried it from the command-prompt (no parameters) it brought up a little GUI where I could input the COM: port, and select channels with either a numeric keypad or up/down buttons. This worked great for me on my DCT2000.

I'd advise pulling the latest DCT2000Plugin.ZIP posted in this thread (post #41). It worked for me....

Andy.

Redemption
04-14-2004, 04:59 PM
Yes - I meant DCT.EXE. When I tried it from the command-prompt (no parameters) it brought up a little GUI where I could input the COM: port, and select channels with either a numeric keypad or up/down buttons. This worked great for me on my DCT2000.

I'd advise pulling the latest DCT2000Plugin.ZIP posted on this site (in this thread I think). It worked for me....

Andy.
Talking about the one on the top of page 3?

Crowdx42
04-14-2004, 05:00 PM
Below is the responses from the dos prompt. I am presuming that the com port on the box is not enabled, everything seems to work on the plug in side.
Patrick

C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\SageTV>dct 160
DCT2000 Serial Tuner EXE version 2.0
Initializing Tuner....Done
Setting tuner to channel 160....Done
Shutting down tuner....Done

snewman
04-14-2004, 05:02 PM
You are referring to the DCT.exe file?
It just pops up really quick and then closes.
Patrick

yeah, this is what I would expect if you are running it from the start menu, or clicking on it in windows explorer.

You need to open a command prompt (Start->Run->cmd and press enter). Then change to the directory where you have the dct.exe file. Mine is in "C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\SageTV". Once you're in the directory, just type "dct" and press enter. You should see 1 line of output that reads: "DCT2000 Serial Tuner EXE version 2.0".

If you want to try changing channels, type something like "dct 7" to change to channel 7. You will get many more lines of output from this. Most likely it will tell you that it changed the channel correctly, even if it doesn't change. If you get an error such as "unable to open port COM1" make sure you don't have something else running that's using that port.

If it is plugging into COM1 and you have a normal, straight through serial cable, it might just be that the serial port on the cable box is disabled.

Redemption
04-14-2004, 05:04 PM
Below is the responses from the dos prompt. I am presuming that the com port on the box is not enabled, everything seems to work on the plug in side.
Patrick

C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\SageTV>dct 160
DCT2000 Serial Tuner EXE version 2.0
Initializing Tuner....Done
Setting tuner to channel 160....Done
Shutting down tuner....Done
Nothing happened on the cable box? Not even the message light blinking? Dig up your firmware version as yours might not be on the compatible list (wouldn't know why not). (Also start with something simple like dct 5 (instead of going for a full 3 digit channel).
Try the gui that was just mentioned.
Regarding using this version of the plugin, you've verified that it's plugged into com 1 and that the cable you have works? (i've come across a few router cables that have proprietary pinouts).

AndyS
04-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Redemption
Talking about the one on the top of page 3?

Yes - in post# 41

Andy.

Crowdx42
04-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Tried the GUI version and still nothing,, no sign of contact with the cable box at all, no light or nothing.
Presume the com port is disabled :(
Patrick

AndyS
04-14-2004, 05:29 PM
Sorry to hear that.

Did you get any errors about MSCOMM32.OCX? If you don't already have it installed you need to get it from http://www.martin2k.co.uk/vb6/vb6download.php .

Give your cable company a call. Get to speak with the people who operate the computer that actually sets up the settings for customers and tell 'em that they need to issue "app_is enable" to switch the serial port on. I'd suggest telling them it's for a PVR rather than mentioning it's for connection to a PC - they aren't usually keen on you connecting your PC to their boxes.

Andy.

Crowdx42
04-14-2004, 05:58 PM
I found the MSCOMM32.OCX from the previous post in this thread. From what I heard Comcast will not enable a com port if it is disabled, they are not helpful from what was said before.
Patrick

snewman
04-14-2004, 06:03 PM
Seems to only be in certain areas from what I can tell. Redemption posted that he's using the serial port on his Comcast box in CA, and I'm using the serial port on mine in GA. Maybe you just have to get past the first level tech guys and see if you can get to someone else who will enable it for you.

AndyS
04-14-2004, 06:14 PM
That seems to generally be the case. I read a post somewhere that suggested there would be no point talking to a tech unless they were at least level 2.

I attached a program I pulled from the MythTV threads archive. You might want to see if it gives you any more info. You can ignore all the files except the executable.

Andy.

Crowdx42
04-14-2004, 06:39 PM
This is the output I get from the DCT Test file

DCTTest v1.0 Copyright (c) 2003 Don Starr
opening serial port 0: 9600/8/1/none ...
opening serial port 1: 9600/8/1/none ...
press ESC to exit

Sidecar (e.g. TiVo) DCT
===============================================================================

AndyS
04-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Looks like your serial port isn't enabled, sorry :( I'd still be tempted to hook it up to hyperterm (programs/accessories/communications) to see if I could get any kind of response back from the box.

Also - as I mentioned before, your serial cable might be wrong as well, so it's worth investigating that option.

If anyone's interested in the protocol I found a very interesting thread here (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?threadid=62212&perpage=20&pagenumber=7) that (around post 135) has some really useful information.

Andy.

AndyS
04-14-2004, 09:09 PM
So - are we all saying that it's not possible to control two (or more) DCT2000s serially? That would surely suck.....

Is there any kind of API available for SageTV that we could use to fire off commands when certain events occurred?

How do I request a feature request to have a second variable (card-id?) added to EXETunerPlugin.DLL ?

Andy.

Redemption
04-14-2004, 09:55 PM
So - are we all saying that it's not possible to control two (or more) DCT2000s serially? That would surely suck.....

Is there any kind of API available for SageTV that we could use to fire off commands when certain events occurred?

How do I request a feature request to have a second variable (card-id?) added to EXETunerPlugin.DLL ?

Andy.
No, there are commands and methods to initiate commands to change the cable boxes. Just a matter of doing what you said, a variable being added to the plugin. Not a clue who "runs/owns" the plugin.

AndyS
04-14-2004, 10:07 PM
I understand that, but isn't the plugin only as good as the parameters that can be passed to it by SageTV? As you say, the clean way to do it is to have a second parameter passed to the target command in the same way that the channel number is passed. This would require a recoding of EXETunerPlugin.DLL (owned by Frey Technologies I believe) but also a recoding (albeit minor) within SageTV. This is what I would like to put in a modification request for.

Andy.

AndyS
04-15-2004, 10:36 AM
I found this thread from Jeff (http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=10233#post10233) where he's written a multi-tuner plugin. I'll pull it down and check its functionality. I've also requested the source-code so hopefully we'll be in business really soon!

One thing that I found on the Tivo forum was that the DCT2000 sends its current status/channel information back to the requestor whenever a command (or a request for status) is sent. We can't do it with this write-only plugin solution, but tighter integration with SageTV would mean that SageTV could query the status of the box before changing channels to ensure that a) the box was on (and to switch it on if it wasn't), b) it wasn't already tuned to the correct channel, and c) use tune up/down instead of sending the channel number if the target channel is next to the currently tuned channel (much faster).

I'll report back as I get more info.

Andy.

snewman
04-15-2004, 11:12 AM
I downloaded the plugin from Jeff's post and tested it. It does indeed do what we were looking for. Nice work AndyS!! :)

I'll redo some of the dct.exe stuff to try and take advantage of this new plugin and see what happens.

AndyS
04-15-2004, 11:21 AM
Can I suggest you create a MultiDCT.exe (or something similar) so that we don't get confused between the single-channel and multi-channel versions.

Andy.

AndyS
04-15-2004, 03:52 PM
I can't get it to work :(

I'm using 2.0.15. I setup the source (S-Video from a PVR-250) and defined it as a cable box in SageTV. I selected EXEMultiTunerPlugIn from the list of boxes. It pulled the guide data correctly and I'm seeing the channels allocated to the DCT2000 being pulled from the DCT2000 so playback is fine. The only thing that doesn't seem to work is the channel-change.

I removed my second tuner card from Sage to reduce complexity.

I put DCT.EXE in C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\SageTV
I put EXEMultiTunerPlugin.DLL in C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\Common

I created a key "EXEMultiTunerPlugin" under Software\Frey Technologies\Common

I added a string "command" to the EXEMultiTunerPlugin key

I added a value "DCT.EXE %CHANNEL% %DEVICE% > ANDY1.TXT" to the command string

I am able to manually run DCT.EXE and change channels successfully.

When I use SageTV to change channels:
The file ANDY1.TXT does not get created.
The channel does not change.

Any ideas anyone?

Andy.

AndyS
04-15-2004, 04:15 PM
Never mind - I recreated the source in SageTV and it's working now.

Andy.

snewman
04-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Here's a newer dct.exe file that works with the EXEMultiTunerPlugin.DLL. I modified the instructions in the readme.txt file to include instructions for using Multiple Tuners. I tried to explain everything, but if there are questions please make a post. The dct.exe file should still continue to work with a single tuner also. (it's still working for me :) )

There's no error checking on this. It assumes you are calling it using "dct.exe channel device". Device is optional and it will use the default device if none is specified.

I have the source for the EXEMultiTunerPlugin.DLL file now, thanks to Jeff. The plan is to make a DLL file that can be called from Sage without requiring a call to an external EXE. But that's going to require some development time, so this is more of a stop-gap measure.

Redemption
04-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Here's a newer dct.exe file that works with the EXEMultiTunerPlugin.DLL. I modified the instructions in the readme.txt file to include instructions for using Multiple Tuners. I tried to explain everything, but if there are questions please make a post. The dct.exe file should still continue to work with a single tuner also. (it's still working for me :) )

There's no error checking on this. It assumes you are calling it using "dct.exe channel device". Device is optional and it will use the default device if none is specified.

I have the source for the EXEMultiTunerPlugin.DLL file now, thanks to Jeff. The plan is to make a DLL file that can be called from Sage without requiring a call to an external EXE. But that's going to require some development time, so this is more of a stop-gap measure.
Does this one still have the dos box that pops up? (no big deal, just wondering)

snewman
04-16-2004, 04:54 PM
Does this one still have the dos box that pops up?

yes, unfortunately. That's going to be going away in the DLL version, but I just wanted to get this version out there right now and see if it works. :)

Redemption
04-16-2004, 08:15 PM
yes, unfortunately. That's going to be going away in the DLL version, but I just wanted to get this version out there right now and see if it works. :)
As I've abandonned the multituner idea (*she* nixed it) are there any improvements in the new one you've listed or just the addition of the multi tuner (which is downright awesome of you to have put together)?

snewman
04-17-2004, 11:16 AM
are there any improvements in the new one you've listed or just the addition of the multi tuner

Pretty much just the multi-tuner capability. It will read from the dct.ini file, if you have it in your %SYSTEMROOT% folder (usually c:\windows). It just reads from the ini to see which com port to talk to, so if you wanted to use something other than COM1, you would benefit from this version too.

cgries
05-05-2004, 03:11 PM
I'm Chicago, so unfortunately I can't get Sage TV. But I am having serious problems with Comcast and thought I would try and get some help as this forum seems to know what its talking about.

I have a Mortorola DCT2000 cable box that did not come with an IR blaster, and Comcast is refusing to activate the serial port. On a separate note, unrelated of course, Comcast is coming out with their own DVR service shortly and I can sign up for that. Ha Ha.

Is there anything I can do myself to the DCT2000 box to enable serial control, or add an IR blaster? Or does anyone know of another cable provider in Chicago that is more accomodating?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

cgries
05-05-2004, 04:01 PM
Oops . . . forgot to add that I'm trying to use the cable box with Tivo. As soon as I mentioned Tivo, the Comcast service rep's tone completely changed and she was no longer very helpful.

sn0wcrash
05-26-2004, 02:18 AM
has anyone used this DTC plugin with a USB to Serial adapter? Also... (and I don't mean to sound like an unappreciative arse) hwo does the .dll version?

Demmers
05-31-2004, 10:26 PM
Hi, I have a small problem with this Plugin.

When I try to change the cannel on my DCT the box sometimes skips a number when it is entered, ex.. when going to channel 124 I end up at 12, or 24 or 124. Kind of annoying when trying to record off digital.

Is there a way to set the Delay for this tuner?

I am using Sage TV Release 2 and the DCT2000serialtuner.zip file from this thread.

Thanks for any help you may have.

Demmers

pneil
06-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Hello

New to these boards.
I tried to access this module at the download link, but it seems to be missing.

I'm having problems with my DCT2000 digital box, and SageTv 2.0
I wanted to try this module out, does anyone have a current link to a version of it.

justme
06-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Just look at the attachment for post #85. (http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?postid=34350#post34350) It's by snewman. I also made an even older post that has an attachment (http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?postid=23454#post23454) that contains an older copy of the program. But I'd get the newer one from snewman, he seems to be trying to further the prgrams developement.

/justme

melvinx
07-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Greetings,

I just wanted to let everyone know I have DCT working great with a Comcast Motorola DCT-2524 in the New Hampshire area. The DCT-2524's firmware is version: 02.33 and the software version is: 60.21.

I also have a question - does anyone know if there's a way to prevent the DCT DOS window from popping up each time you change the channel? THANKS!

MelvinX

meekell
07-07-2004, 12:57 PM
I also have a question - does anyone know if there's a way to prevent the DCT DOS window from popping up each time you change the channel? THANKS!
I would also like to know if there is a way to suppress this window, or not give it focus.
________
Sunset Boulevard Residence 2 Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

jtt88
07-09-2004, 03:34 PM
sn0wcrash, I bought a Keyspan USB to Serial 4 comm port and it works fine. The dct.exe program (and any other program for that matter) sees it as a regular serial port. The Keyspan driver sets them up as virtual serial ports. Can't vouch for any other USB to Serial adapters.

robinemig
07-14-2004, 03:21 AM
Any chance someone can get the source to this? I've tried to use it and keep getting carrier detected changed state pop-up which causes problems with recording.

coppit
07-14-2004, 08:11 AM
If you want to suppress the window, get a program called TrayThis (http://bettasoft.home.comcast.net/traythis/). It can move the window to the tray, or hide it completely.

And now for a stupid question: The serial connection is a 9-pin on the computer going to a 9-pin on the cable box, right?

jtt88
07-14-2004, 09:20 AM
The cable box has a 9-pin female connector. Most computers have a 9-pin male connector. You would need a 9-pin female to 9-pin male serial cable.

Dandren
07-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Beelzebub, would you please post again a link to the source code for the exe that works with the ExeTunerPlugin (DCT2000_src.zip)?

meekell
07-17-2004, 10:19 PM
Beelzebub, would you please post again a link to the source code for the exe that works with the ExeTunerPlugin (DCT2000_src.zip)?
I would also like to play with the code.:jump:
________
Live sex webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

justme
07-17-2004, 10:24 PM
I've gotten a response from Snewman(the person who developed the most recent DCT plugin) and he has sent me the source for his version of a DCT control plugin. This is developed from sourcecode for a plugin that a SnapStream user originally developed. Snewman unfortunately doesn't have the time to farther develope his version right now. But fortunately he has been kind enough to make the source available to me. I'll glady forward it to anyone who feels they can further develope the DCT plugin, as long as they will contribute their work back to the SageTV community.

I'd also appreciate anone who developes any DCT plugin to send me the source. You can contact me by PM and I'll provide a email, if you don't wish to make the source available to the entire SageTV community. I just wish to have a archive of all the source for this plugin so I can help future developers in case whoever picks up the torch is unable to continue.

As for Beelzebub...

I've attempted to contact Beelzebub, by PM and the email that was in the readme for his version. I know the email I sent to the address from the zip was unable to be delivered. :( I think/fear his SageTV PM(email notification) is also tied to the old website of his that is now dead. I hope I'm wrong and that he'll contact me. I only have a copy of the exe that I downloaded when I was trying to get this to work on my box. I didn't download the sourcecode as I was not a Moderator at the time. So If Beelzebub or ANYONE reads this who has a copy of the sourcecode for the original DCT plugin, pleas post it. Or at least PM me to allow me to add the source code to the archive I'm building to assist people who wish to further develop this plugin. I'm sure Beelzebub wouldn't mind you posting or at least providing me with the source as his original post had the source available for download.

I only just attempted to get ahold of Beelzebub yesterday morining, so hopefully I'll get a reply soon. Still I'd greatly appreciate anyone who has a copy of Beelzebub's soucre to contact me. I'll wait until later this week, before I take the next step. If no one contact me by about Wednesday, I'll try a drastic measure.... I'll try PMing all those who've participated in this thread, as some may have unsubscribed once they got their setup working. In the hope that one of these people will still have a copy of Beelzebub's source, the same way I had a copy of his exe just laying around on my hard drive.

So in simplest terms...
Could anyone who reads this please check your hard drive to see if you have a copy of Beelzebub's source code? If you do please post or PM me. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

/justme

Beelzebub
07-23-2004, 03:49 AM
Sorry haven't really messed with the HTPC, I will upload everything before I go to bed. I also have digital cable again, so I'm going to make a new one. This one is slapped together using VB.

Check
http://sio.midco.net/jmoffitt/

coppit
07-23-2004, 07:33 AM
Is anyone making progress on a DLL version? The DOS window popup is distracting...

salsbst
07-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Guys, unless I'm mistaken you don't need a DLL version to avoid the DOS popup. The following script pings the machine named in the first parameter without displaying a window.

Dim oShell
Set oShell = WScript.CreateObject ("WSCript.shell")
oShell.run "ping " & WScript.Arguments(0), 0, true

If you save it as "c:\ping.vbs", you can run it with the command:

wscript "c:\ping.vbs" "www.dell.com"

the run method:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/script56/html/wsMthRun.asp

the arguments property:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/script56/html/wsProArguments.asp

You would replace the ping with the command that you want to execute invisibly. Hope that helps.

Beelzebub
07-24-2004, 11:04 AM
I uploaded the plugin.

coppit
07-25-2004, 11:13 PM
The link in the first post is broken. It's here: http://sio.midco.net/jmoffitt/DCT2000Plugin.zip

No more popups. Thanks!

justme
07-25-2004, 11:33 PM
I editted the first post to reflect the new links(thanks to Beezlebub for the repost:)). So the links(both source and exe) on the first page are now valid again(the users site was down until just recently).

PS:Beelzebub, Great to have you back .:)

PPS:I'm sorry for the delay in sending out copies of the sourcecode for snewman's version to the few who ask, but I'm on vacation with the wife. Those of you who wish to work on this plugin may wish to collaborate(one has already suggested this in PM) on the plugin, perhaps even a sourceforge site to allow easier collaboration.

/justme

pheitman
08-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Help! I am unable to get Sage working with the Plugin. The plugin works (at least dct with the default com port of 1 works fine when Sage isn't running). I modified the registry entry to remove the '#'. I modified Sage.properties and renamed StubDevice to COM1. (Setup now reports that the Tuner Control is set to DirecTV Serial COM1 - is that the problem?) How do I tell Sage to use the EXETunerPlugin.dll? My Sage.properties file does have mmc/sfir_dev_name set to the full path of the EXETunerPlugin.dll....

Any ideas, please?

Peter

Ryokurin
08-11-2004, 08:14 PM
has anyone made any progress on getting rid of the project errors? its rather an annoyance.

snewman
08-13-2004, 05:51 PM
Ok, here's the initial release of a DLL plugin to control the Motorola DCT box. Keep in mind, this is a beta release, it works for me, and if it blows up your machine it's not my fault. :D

There is a readme file included in the zip which discusses how to install it. You will probably need to edit the .ini file included to suit your install.

Features:
No more DOS window popping up :cool:
It verifies the channel was changed correctly and tries to change it again if it detects it was set to the wrong channel.
Will attempt to power on the cable box if the channel change fails.
Supports multiple cable boxes connected to different COM ports.

The plugin page is located here: MultiDCTPlugin DLL page (http://sourceforge.net/projects/multidcttuner/)

Please use the Sourceforge page to log bugs, feature requests, support requests, etc.

drinkmilk15
08-13-2004, 07:35 PM
Awesome! finally. this works great. so glad to have that stupid popup gone.

edit: ok. it works sometimes. maybe for a few minutes after sage is started up, then it doesn't at all.

Bigfoot
08-14-2004, 03:52 PM
I need some help troubleshooting dct.exe. I have successfully connected to my DCT2224 with HyperTerminal. I send a CR and I get a string returned. I assume my serial port is enabled correctly on the cable box.

When I run dct.exe either through the GUI or command-line interface I get no response from the cable box. No lights flash, nothing happens.

I even installed MultiDCTPlugin and configured Sage correctly but I get no response.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this?

snewman
08-14-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Bigfoot
I need some help troubleshooting dct.exe. I have successfully connected to my DCT2224 with HyperTerminal. I send a CR and I get a string returned. I assume my serial port is enabled correctly on the cable box.

When I run dct.exe either through the GUI or command-line interface I get no response from the cable box. No lights flash, nothing happens.

I even installed MultiDCTPlugin and configured Sage correctly but I get no response.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this?

It could be that the port is enabled, but the wrong firmware version is on the cable box. I have seen some posts around which tell what version is required. Mine is using S/W version 15.22 with Firmware 07.85. You can see this by going into Menu->Cable Box->Setup->See Configuration.

The dct.exe program is pretty straight forward and assumes you have the box connected to COM 1. If you're not getting a response back from that, then you might want to check your cable.

The plugin DLL will write a debug log file (assuming you have it turned on). This file will contain the communication between the computer and the cable box. If there's little or nothing in this file, then for some reason, communication isn't working. If you can post the contents of the file here, we can see more of what's going on.

Bigfoot
08-14-2004, 08:40 PM
snewman,
I double checked my HyperTerminal settings, I'm using COM1. That still works.

The cable box is S/W 17.44 and firmware 7.85.

Does dct.exe use the default protocol for COM 1?

I attached the log. Thanks for your help.

snewman
08-14-2004, 11:33 PM
Sorry Bigfoot, it would appear your cable box is using a different protocol. Who is your cable provider? Perhaps the serial port on the cable box is using different COM settings, I'm not sure. You might try unplugging the cable box for a minute or so, then plug it in again and see if that helps, but I'm not holding out hope that it will.

Ideally the beginning of the log file should look something like this:
Port set to 0 ... delaying COM Port initialization
Initializing Serial Port 1 on device StubDevice ... done
Attempting to initialize DCT StubDevice
SENT: type 0x70, len 2, id 0x04, seq 0x03
RECV: type 0x70, len 2, id 0x00, seq 0x80
SENT: type 0x78, len 3, id 0x04, seq 0x03
data 0x00
RECV: type 0x78, len 2, id 0x00, seq 0x80
RECV: type 0x78, len 15, id 0x00, seq 0x10
data 0x80 0x30 0x31 0x2e 0x30 0x30 0x30 0x37 0x2e 0x38 0x35 0x00 0x11
Sending automatic ACK
SENT: type 0x78, len 2, id 0x04, seq 0x91
data 0x00
data 0x80 0x30 0x31 0x2e 0x30 0x30 0x30 0x37 0x2e 0x38 0x35 0x00 0x11
Sending automatic ACK
Reading current channel
SENT: type 0x78, len 3, id 0x04, seq 0x21
data 0x21
RECV: type 0x78, len 2, id 0x00, seq 0xa2
RECV: type 0x78, len 8, id 0x00, seq 0x32
data 0xa1 0x00 0x4a 0x00 0x01 0x00
Sending automatic ACK
SENT: type 0x78, len 2, id 0x04, seq 0xb3
Current Channel: 74

Here you can see the "SENT" and "RECV" communication between the computer and the cable box. The protocol code I used was written by Jim Paris for the dct-channel application he created for MythTV. I don't really know the protocol myself. I will do some research to see if there are multiple versions of the protocol and if there is a possibility of incorporating the different versions into the code. The best I could do right now is possibly create an application to dump the packets sent between the computer and the cable box, to a log file for analysis. Other than that, I'm stumped at the moment. :bang:

snewman
08-15-2004, 01:43 AM
Not really having much luck finding information on the protocol. It would seem the serial port on the cable box is really designed for connecting an external HD receiver for decoding High Def signals. I'm guessing that perhaps the external receiver uses this connection to control the cable box and change channels as needed, but as the HD receiver is also a Motorola product, it seems the protocol is not public. I'm not sure where the currently public information came from. It would be nice if there was a way to get this information from Motorola :D .

Some of the information I came across said Motorola bought General Instruments and was re-labeling the GI boxes as Motorola boxes and it's unknown if the protocol is the same. Also, it would seem that TiVO boxes have the same issues with serial control. They also require the correct version of the firmware on the cable box for serial control to work.

The only alternative I can think of for you to try would be using an IR Blaster to control the cable box instead. I know this isn't the most desirable thing to do, but it might work for you.

Hope this Helps

Bigfoot
08-15-2004, 11:37 AM
Hmmm, disappointing news. Well, I'll see what I can find surfing the net.

Is there any way to test things out either via HyperTerminal or some command line utility? What I'm thinking is, if I could easily send a series of codes and capture the output then I might try playing around with this.

I'm not ready to use an IR blaster, yet.

Thanks again.

I attached another log. This time there was a RECV, but since the protocol is different it may be random.

Bigfoot
08-15-2004, 03:37 PM
Here is a reply from our friendly Comcast service representative:

Thank you for contacting Comcast Cable.

The Serial port on the DCT cannot be used as a communication port.
Only RCA, Coax, or IR blaster. The serial port is used for diagnostics
only.

Thank you for choosing Comcast.

Sincerely,

Brett
Comcast Customer Care Specialist

drinkmilk15
08-15-2004, 03:40 PM
must just be that way in your area...or they're liars. works perfect on my comcast dct...

jennyfur
08-16-2004, 09:30 AM
They are liars... but you can't really call it lying when they're really just horribly misinformed.

I spent almost 2 weeks and countless phone calls trying to get info out of them, and their answer was always "no". I would have been happy if they'd even given me an answer as complete as the one above in bigfoot's post, but I never got anything even close to that. Just denial and claims that the serial port isn't used for anything at all and never could be.

After hours messing with it, and even going to the comcast office and swapping out my box for another one, I finally got it working on my own. I just updated it last night with the most recent version posted, and it's working great... no more popups or errors or anything. Kudos to everyone who worked to create this.

trevorst
08-16-2004, 12:11 PM
MultiTuner works great for me. Thanks for all the work.

snewman
08-16-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by drinkmilk15
Awesome! finally. this works great. so glad to have that stupid popup gone.

edit: ok. it works sometimes. maybe for a few minutes after sage is started up, then it doesn't at all.

So when it quits working, can you restart Sage and have it work again? Also, can you stop Sage, delete the log file, restart it and post a copy of the log file here from when it stops working? (if that makes sense :) )

Bigfoot
08-16-2004, 04:25 PM
Update on my problem getting dct.exe working.

It turns out Comcast sent an update in the Seattle area that screwed a bunch of Tivo owners and me. Nobody was able to control the STB with the serial port. Found this info searching the Tivo boards.

After calling Comcast and asking them to reset my STB I now have serial control of the cable box. BTW, the service rep at Comcast knew exactly what I was talking about and reset my box before I even finished the conversation. Woohoo. Thanks for everyone's help.

snewman
08-17-2004, 01:04 AM
That's awesome Bigfoot. Glad it's working for you!

themeister
08-17-2004, 07:03 PM
I thought the new DLL worked fine....no popups; however, I'm getting the wrong channel a lot. In fact, after a while, I get the wrong channel most of the time.

In addition, I have the following problem.

I have multiple tuners. When the cable box is "wired into" a wrong channel that is also available on the other tuner, it is impossible to get it changed. As I channel up or down over the bad channel, it switches between tuners versus actually changing the channel, leaving the only option to grab the cable remote and change it. As an example, one tuner thinks it is on channel 37. In reality, it has mistuned the cable box to channel 170. If I go to channel 36, it uses the non-cable tuner. If I go to channel 38, it uses the non-cable tuner. If I go to channel 37, it assumes the cable tuner is correctly tuned to channel 37 and keeps it on channel 170. :bang:

The bigger problem; however, is how frequenty I end up on the wrong cable channel...moreso than the pop-up version of the plug-in...and yes, I did not disable the feature to verify if the correct channel has been selected.

trevorst
08-17-2004, 10:33 PM
I have started to get the wrong channel problem also. In addition today I could not change the channel at all. Rebooted and the channel changed a couple of times then refused to change again. I very much need this to work and I understand you do this for nothing so we can not ask for much.
But please someone we need this capability.

snewman
08-17-2004, 10:43 PM
Sorry about your problems themeister. They have me puzzled though.

One of the first things that I'm usure about, is what you mean by "the non-cable tuner". It sounds like you mean you have 1 cable box, and 2 tuner cards? If this is the case, some of the stuff I've read indicates this configuration will not work for changing to digital channels because Sage only uses 1 guide and there's some confusion about which tuner it should use because of the difference in channels across the 2 tuners.

The next confusing part is how it can get to channel 170 if you're trying to tune to 37. I can understand if you're trying to tune to 37 and it goes to 3 or 7, but I've never seen or heard of it tuning that far off unless you were either just using that as an example, or there is a protocol difference and the cable box is mis-interpreting the information it's being sent. You might try playing with the "scale" setting in the config file and see if that helps. The scale setting adjusts how fast it sends commands to the cable box and if it's sending too fast, the cable box can miss something and it ends up on the wrong channel. Unfortunately in the current version, changing the scale setting means you will have to restart Sage because that's the only way the DLL will be unloaded and the config file re-read.

Some of what you're describing is Sage behaviour. Assuming you have 2 tuners, you should have individual names for each tuner in your Sage config file. There should also be entries in the DLL config file for each tuner. Sage will then tell the DLL which tuner to change and depending on the settings in the config file, it will communicate with the COM port and attempt to change that tuner. So the alternating between tuners sounds like something Sage is doing.

Sage will also not try to change the channel if it thinks it's already on that channel. It won't even tell the DLL to try to change it. When the DLL get's an order to change the channel, it first verifies the channel the cable box is currently on, then attempts to change the channel if it's different. You will see entries to this effect in the log file where it will report the current channel before changing it.

I'm gathering a list of code changes to make and will release a newer version after making the changes.

snewman
08-18-2004, 12:31 AM
I've updated the DLL to more aggressively attempt channel changes and also include more debug output in the log file. The new version is available at the same Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/multidcttuner) link.

Some other changes:

More debugging output including outputting when it was told to change the channel, but the new channel is the current channel.
It will not attempt to change the channel if it cannot read the current channel. However, it will try to increase the scale delay and re-initialize the DCT box before giving up.
The scale delay is reset to the setting specified in the config file on every channel change now. Any time the scale delay is changed, the new value is logged in the log file. So if you notice the scale delay being changed to a higher value in the log file, you might want to change that to be your default value.
If an error is detected after trying to change the channel, it will attempt to re-initialize the communication with the DCT box before attempting a power on.

These updates are directed mostly at people having trouble with channel changing. Other users might want to upgrade for the increased checking and in case any problems pop up in the future.

trevorst
08-18-2004, 01:04 AM
Thanks Smewman I will try it tonight. We very much appreciate your efforts.

themeister
08-18-2004, 08:42 AM
Snewman....

Thanks.... I'm going away for a few days. Will try your new release when I return.

Regarding your questions... I have 2 tuners. Only one is attached to the cable box. The other is direct to the cable.

For clarity, let's call the cable tuner CT and the other just T.

The issue I was describing occurs when a selected channel is within range of both tuners. So, assume CT is mistuned and actually on any other channel. Sage thinks it is on 37. As you go up and down around this channel, it is using T for channel 36 and channel 38. Whenever you want 37, it uses CT (since it is already tuned to the correct channel - so it thinks). It just presents what is currently being broadcast. At this point, you're stuck. There is no way to tell Sage to change the channel.

The only way around this would be if you had a "force channel change" capability.

I believe this is more of a Sage issue.

The problem I had with the Plug-in was that it appeared to have lost control of the cable box and quit changing channels altogether. I rebooted the system, recycled the cable box, removed and reinstalled the tuner and still had the problem. The only way around it was to install the old version of the plug-in.

trevorst
08-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Snewman, Still had one wrong channel recorded today, it recorded 413 instead 401. So far 401 is the only channel I have had problems with. I'll keep monitoring and let you know if there is any pattern to the problem.
Thanks again for trying to get this working for us.

snewman
08-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Can you post a copy of the log file the next time the channel changes incorrectly trevorst? Maybe we can see better what's going on from that and get an idea of how to fix it.

trevorst
08-18-2004, 06:32 PM
I just tried to upload the file from today but i am getting an invalid file message, even though it is a text message. Tried pasting it but it was too big. I'll send a Private email with the file and hope you get it.

trevorst
08-19-2004, 08:49 AM
Snewman, It looks like the problem I reported is my error... I had the same problem last night so I checked your log and notice the channel change was not to the one I expected. Went back and checked my favorites setting and relized it was set to allow any channel. So Sage had picked one of the Fox Sports channels I don't receive, hence the wrong channel numbers. Your DLL has been working perfect all the time, it's the dumb user that wasn't.

snewman
08-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Glad to hear it's working! I've had similar issues where Sage would try to record something from the High Def version of Fox instead of the regular broadcast. Since it's not plugged into the high def receiver, it records nothing. But it was my fault because I didn't go remove the channels from the channel list it uses.

Thanks for the info.

themeister
08-25-2004, 04:00 PM
Snewman....

I've had your Beta2 version installed since Monday. Working like a charm.

Thanks a bunch.

bizarro
09-16-2004, 01:29 PM
I have the DCT2224 box. What do I need to connect to it with.

snewman
09-20-2004, 12:24 AM
I haven't had any bug reports on the Beta 2 version, so I decided to release a 1.0 version. The only bug I was aware of was the scale value being reported incorrectly in the log file when it was changed. I have fixed that in the 1.0 version.

Also, this version will save the scale value in the .ini file anytime it's changed. This could be a bad thing, but we'll see. The idea being, if it needs to change the scale value, it thinks it might be sending keystrokes too fast to the cable box. So saving that value will result in less errors in the future when trying to change channels.

The zip file is available on the sourceforge page here (http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/multidcttuner) . The sourcecode is also on the sourceforge page, but they don't seem to list it as being commited. You can get it from here (http://www.newmanium.com/svn/MultiDCTTunerDLL/) also. If you find any bugs, please use the sourceforge page to log them.

snewman

aramh
10-03-2004, 03:15 PM
I think the problem that I'm having is with the serial cable itself, as others on this forum have used the same cable setup fine: Firmware 7.85 S/W Version: 17.67. Also I contacted Adelphia and they activated the serial ports on both of my boxes and told me that a gentlemen in the neighborhood has been using a serial connection with his Tivo without any problems.

Which one of these should I use:

* A straight through cable with no flow control
* A straight through cable with flow control
* A cross over cable with no flow control
* A cross over cable with flow control
* A straight through cable with "NULLED" flow control
* A cross over cable with "NULLED" flow control

Thanks!

heffe2001
10-03-2004, 03:38 PM
I think what I'm using is the 2nd option, Straight with flow (it's a standard 9pin with all connections present, no pins jumped or unconnected).

aramh
10-03-2004, 07:11 PM
I just went to Fry's and bought a Serial Mouse Extension DB9 (Male/Female) Pins 1-8 Wired Straight Through. I still am having problems, so this is obviously not a problem with my serial cable. Unless someone can see something wrong with the serial extension I just bought. Thanks

aramh
10-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Here's some information to help everyone on this thread help me. I also might note that I haven't hooked up my tuner card yet. Would this make a difference? (I'm just testing channel changing through the serial cable connection right now through Girder or through the SageTV DCT.exe utility, so I believe that the tuner is irrelevant at this point)

When I went to check the settings on COM2, and looked at the available COM Port Numbers, it listed COM3 and COM4 as in use. I have a modem hooked up on COM4 and a Palm serial cradle on COM1, but I can't explain what's in use on COM3. This may be my problem (or not).

Cable Provider: Adelphia
Region: Los Angeles
Cable Box: Motorola DCT-2224
Firmware: 7.85
S/W Version: 17.67

Windows XP SP2
CPU: AMD Athlon 1.4ghz
Motherboard: ECS K7AMA
BIOS: American Megatrends
512MB DDR Memory
Nvidia GeForce 3 Ti 200
Western Digital 40GB HD
Seagate 40GB HD (Slave)
Sound Blaster Audigy OEM
BTC 4x DVD Burner
Palm m105 Serial Cradle

BIOS Settings
Plug and Play OS: Yes
Serial Port 1: COM1
Serial Port 2: COM2
Serial IR: Disabled

COM Port Settings
Bits per second: 9600
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop bits: 1
Flow control: None
Use FIFO Buffers: Yes
Receive Buffer: Highest setting (14)
Transmit Buffer: Highest setting (16)
COM Port Number: COM2

heffe2001
10-04-2004, 08:46 AM
You're probably having IRQ problems, since Com1 uses the same IRQ as com3, and com4 uses the same as com2. If you remove your modem, or change its irq to something not being used (7 is for the parallel port if you're not using it currently), you should be fine. At least this has been a problem for me in the past (irq sharing works with some programs, but not with others, and communications software pretty much keeps the IRQ and doesn't play nice with other software).

mpowerz3
10-04-2004, 03:46 PM
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck configuring Sage to control 2 DCT2000 series boxes. I have 2 Hauppauge PVR-250s: 1 using the MultiDCTTuner plugin to control one box and the other PVR-250 using USB-UIRT (via builtin support in Sage 2.0) to control a separate box. The problem is that only 1 of the 2 will work at any given time, and not both at the same time. As it turns out, the tuner that I setup last via the Setup Wizard is the one that remains working. When I go to the Remote Options of the Setup Wizard for the tuner that isn't working, there don't seem to be any configurable options, such as ms between channel changes or channel delay. Is there any special trick in making this configuration work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mpowerz3

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AthlonXP 2000
2x 512MB Mushkin PC2100
ATI Radeon 8500DV
2x Hauppauge PVR-250

aramh
10-04-2004, 06:29 PM
You're probably having IRQ problems, since Com1 uses the same IRQ as com3, and com4 uses the same as com2. If you remove your modem, or change its irq to something not being used (7 is for the parallel port if you're not using it currently), you should be fine. At least this has been a problem for me in the past (irq sharing works with some programs, but not with others, and communications software pretty much keeps the IRQ and doesn't play nice with other software).

That sounds probable, but I have had a Palm Pilot Serial Cradle hooked up to COM1 fine (and it was the only serial device hooked up). Then I tested the DCT2000 as the only device hooked up to COM1 and it didn't work fine. Tell you what--I'm going to just yank the modem out since I don't use it and we'll see what happens. I'll get back with that info. Thanks for your help.

aramh
10-04-2004, 07:06 PM
I just removed the modem (and the drivers from Windows XP). I still get the same message in the DCT2000 utility: "Run-time error '8018': Operation valid only when the port is open." I checked the COM1 Port settings in Windows and under the COM port number, it's listed as COM1 and it says COM2 is already in use. This makes complete sense to me, as COM2 is being used by the second serial port. I guess I'm stumped. Everything should add up to this working and it's not.

themeister
10-21-2004, 03:13 PM
Snewman.....

I hope you're out there. Was running your Beta2 version ever since it came out.....working like a charm. Upgraded to Release 1.0....that was working also. Then the cable box broke. Got a new one. Tried both versions but cannot get it to work correctly. I'm sure it probably has something to do with config on the cable box. The installer changed the factory setting to eliminate need for always typing 3 digits. Don't know if that has anything to do with it....

Anyway, here is the log of trying to set 2 channels - first channel 3 and then 301. It eventually got 3 right; however, it hung on 301. Thanks a bunch.

MultiDCTTunerDLL $Rev: 10 $ Initializing Serial Port 1 on device StubDevice ... done
data 0x00
data 0x80 0x30 0x31 0x2e 0x30 0x30 0x30 0x37 0x2e 0x38 0x35 0x00 0x08
Sending automatic ACK
Closing COM device
MultiDCTTunerDLL $Rev: 10 $ Initializing Serial Port 1 on device StubDevice ... done
data 0x00
data 0x80 0x30 0x31 0x2e 0x30 0x30 0x30 0x37 0x2e 0x38 0x35 0x00 0x08
Sending automatic ACK
Reading current channel
SENT: type 0x78, len 3, id 0x04, seq 0x21
data 0x21
RECV: type 0x78, len 25, id 0x00, seq 0x32
data 0xa1 0x01 0x2d 0x01 0x08 0xd0 0x2e 0xa1 0xbf 0x3b 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Sending automatic ACK
Current Channel: 301
Setting channel to: 3
SENT: type 0x78, len 4, id 0x04, seq 0x03
data 0x22 0x00
SENT: type 0x78, len 4, id 0x04, seq 0x10
data 0x22 0x00
RECV: type 0x78, len 2, id 0x00, seq 0x91
SENT: type 0x78, len 4, id 0x04, seq 0x21
data 0x22 0x03
data 0x20 0x00 0x03 0x00 0x01 0x00
Sending automatic ACK
Sending automatic ACK
Got extra status back
Sending automatic ACK
Got extra status back
RECV: type 0x70, len 2, id 0x00, seq 0x03
Sending automatic ACK
SENT: type 0x70, len 2, id 0x04, seq 0x80
channel status: wrong type or too short
RECV: type 0x78, len 2, id 0x00, seq 0x83
RECV: type 0x78, len 2, id 0x00, seq 0x93
Serial timeout
SENT: type 0x78, len 4, id 0x04, seq 0x23
data 0x22 0x12
RECV: type 0x70, len 2, id 0x00, seq 0x03
Sending automatic ACK
SENT: type 0x70, len 2, id 0x04, seq 0x80
Got response, but it's not an ACK; waiting for more.
Serial timeout
No response to packet
Successful
Reading current channel
SENT: type 0x78, len 3, id 0x04, seq 0x10
data 0x21
Wrong sequence number in ACK?

snewman
11-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Sorry for the delayed response. I stopped getting notices that there had been new posts.

I'm not sure what happened there themeister. There was a bug in the 1.0 release and I pulled it down off Sourceforge as soon as I realized it. It seems you might have downloaded it before I was able to pull it. It would cause the delay between sends to keep growing until it was too long and the cable box would not interpret the commands correctly. I have fixed this in the 1.1 release so that you can set a maximum delay amount. Once the delay reaches this amount, it is reset to the default amount, the cable box is re-initialized and it tries again. I also changed some of the initialization / negotiation stuff so that it will attempt to re-initialize the cable box a couple of times before it increases the delay. In most cases, this is all that's required, a sort of "kick in the pants" to the cable box to wake it up.

I also fixed some logging issues that were occurring, so the channel changes and increases to the delay are correctly logged now.

I've been using the 1.1 release on my setup for a few months now. A couple of times the cable box has gone to the wrong channel, but after it re-initializes the box, the channel is reset correctly. It hasn't set the channel incorrectly, or failed to change the channel the whole time I've been using the 1.1 release, so I think it's pretty stable.

themeister
11-08-2004, 09:08 AM
Snewman...

Yes, shortly after I posted, I went to SourceForge and got 1.1. Installed it and it has been working great.

Thanks a bunch.

heffe2001
12-12-2004, 10:35 PM
I had the multi tuner plugin set up and working on 2 seperate machines, but decided to make some changes in my PVR setup. I moved 3 of my tuners from the machine at our HDTV to a storage/tuner server in a closet (hopefully this will cobber some heat issues we are having in the HDTV PC.

The old configuration had one tuner in my HTPC with a cable box connected, using com1 to a DCT2k cable box, and 2 tuners on analog cable. I also had 2 network encoders on another PC, with a cable box on one with the plugin, and the other analog cable.

When I re-setup the systems, I dropped 3 tuners in the server, 2 PVR2000 boards with digital cable, and one analog on a Adaptec Video-Oh, the 2 digital cable boxes are connected to com1 & com2. For the life of me, I can't get the multi-tuner plugin to control the 2nd box at all. I've made the .ini edit, and called my 2nd box Conexant, and set it to port 2, and left the StubDevice entry alone. The box on the 1st tuner works and changes, but the 2nd never changes at all.

I also edited my sage.properties so that device_name=Conexant, but still no joy. Anybody got a multi-tuner setup ini & sage.properties file I can look at to see what I'm doing wrong? I'm about at the end of my rope, an missed several shows tonight that's going to get me killed by the other half...

delgross
12-21-2004, 09:11 AM
I have the same exact problem with both 2.1 and the latest beta. Have you come up with a fix....

ED

heffe2001
12-23-2004, 07:29 AM
My fix was to move one of the cable boxes to another machine with Sage Recorder on it, not much of a fix I'm afraid, but it's all that I could do to get it to work. Guess that 3rd cable box won't be needed until someone fixes this plugin.

snewman
12-23-2004, 02:17 PM
I'm working on it. I'll put up another post when it's done, hopefully later today.

snewman
12-23-2004, 04:43 PM
My apologies. When I first created this, I based it on some code I got from the Sage guys and had to make assumptions about how multiple tuner support worked, because I didn't have 2 tuners to test with. I've added a second tuner now, and it turns out that was the wrong thing to do. :blush:

I added a second tuner to my rig and fixed the plugin now. It's a little tricky to setup, though it looks like you guys already have most of it figured out. You must make sure that you have a .ir file in your C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\Common\RemoteCodes\MultiDCTTuner Plugin directory. In my setup, I have 2 tuners named PVR150 and PVR350. In that directory there are 2 files, each named PVR150.ir and PVR350.ir. In the MultiDCTTuner.ini file, there are 2 entries identifying which port each cable box is connected to:

PVR350=2
PVR150=1

Of course, you have to edit the Sage.properties file and change the names of your Tuner devices so this will work.

The new 1.2 version is available at the Sourceforge Page (http://sourceforge.net/projects/multidcttuner/). There is another link in the readme.txt for those wanting access to the source code. I will upload the code to the Sourceforge repository when I get a chance.

I have verified this on my setup with 2 tuners and it does change channels correctly across both tuners. I believe it will work with more, but I don't have more than 2 tuners to test with. So if someone else can test that and let me know if there are any problems, I would appreciate it. Let me know if you have any other issues with it. Logging bugs at the Sourceforge bug Page (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=675888&group_id=116751&func=browse) will probably get my attention faster. :)

delgross
12-24-2004, 05:06 AM
When you say I have to change the tuner device.....

Do you mean I have to change the name or change
stub device to the appropriate .ir file. Also the comports
in the sage properties file do not seem to get updated with the appropriate com ports???

ED

snewman
12-24-2004, 11:43 AM
When you say I have to change the tuner device.....

Do you mean I have to change the name or change
stub device to the appropriate .ir file.

You change the "device_name=" setting for the tuner. The easiest way to do this is to setup 1 tuner at a time. With no tuners configured, launch Sage and configure 1. Once it's working, exit Sage and open the Sage.properties file.

(1) Change everywhere that it says "StubDevice" to whatever you want to call it (let's say PVR150). I don't think you will have to make more than 2 changes per tuner. There will be a line in your Sage.properties file, which looks something like this: mmc/encoders/1642691032/1/3/device_name=PVR150
The big string of numbers in the middle will be different for you. "PVR150" is what I named my first tuner. There must also be a file in the "C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\Common\RemoteCodes\MultiDCTTuner Plugin" directory called PVR150.ir. You must also have an entry in the MultiDCTTuner.ini file, which tells the plugin which COM port the cable box is connected to. So in my .ini file, I have a line that reads "PVR150=1", which tells the plugin that the tuner named "PVR150" is connected to COM Port 1. There must be an entry like this in the .ini file for every tuner connected. Since my second tuner is called "PVR350", I also have an entry in the .ini file which reads "PVR350=2". There is plenty of information about editing the Sage.properties file in other forums on here.

Once that change is made, launch Sage and make sure your tuner still works. You should be able to see the new Tuner name from within Sage by looking at the tuner properties. Once you've verified it's working, add your next tuner then repeat the above steps. Shutdown Sage, rename tuner entry, add .ir file, add .ini entry, restart Sage.

Note that if you're using the SageTV Service, you must shut it down as well while you are making changes. I don't know if that's how it should be, but that's the only way I could get the changes to work correctly for me.

Also the comports
in the sage properties file do not seem to get updated with the appropriate com ports???

ED

The comports in the Sage.properties file has nothing to do with the MultiDCTTuner plugin. I believe those are probably for Satellite boxes and such, that Sage knows how to control directly.

delgross
12-24-2004, 11:55 AM
You solved my problems.... I was overthinking it.

Thank you,

ED

heffe2001
01-11-2005, 02:15 PM
I'll have to give this a try again, hopefully it'll work, then I can put boxes on all my tuners :) (well, at least 4 of 'em).

*EDIT* Works like a charm. Gonna order 2 more digital boxes, and another USB serial cable and use 4 at once :). (It does work just fine on USB serial dongles btw).

DRM2PVR
01-27-2005, 01:35 PM
I finally found the right serial cable and now have my Motorola 2524 digital cable box working with Sage. I do however have a few loose ends to tie up which I beleive to be related to MultiDCTuner1.2.dll. I followed all the installation instructions relevent to a single tuner install. SageTV does not run as a service but I'm thinking of doing so due to the crashes. Channels 2-68 are through the tuner , 250 up to 955 are via s-video and serial control.

Here are the problems I'm trying to identify:

1. Ever since the MultiDCTTuner install, I have had 3 spontanious reboots and one crash of SageTV. Nothing else has changed but I'm open to suggestions which may be releated to the adding of the additional source.

2. Some channel changes over serial are fast (within 3 seconds), others can take up to 15 seconds, and sometimes it retries to change to a channel it has already succesfully tuned to. Looking at the multidcttuner.log I see I have some frequent serial timeouts in either changing the channel or getting the current channel.

[Settings]
scale=1.6875
scale_max=2.0
log=true
logfile=c:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\Common\multidcttuner.log
blind=false
power=false
port=1
StubDevice=1
AnotherReceiver=2

Related Log file entry:

Device StubDevice on port 1
MultiDCTTunerDLL $Rev: 20 $ Initializing Serial Port 1 for device StubDevice ... done
Reading current channel
data 0x21
Serial timeout
Didn't get channel status message
Failed to get current channel, trying again
Reading current channel
SENT: type 0x78, len 3, id 0x04, seq 0x10
data 0x21
RECV: type 0x78, len 8, id 0x00, seq 0x21
data 0xa1 0x00 0x37 0x00 0x00 0x00
Sending automatic ACK
SENT: type 0x78, len 2, id 0x04, seq 0xa2
Current Channel: 55
Got channel, attempting to change
Setting channel to: 215
SENT: type 0x78, len 4, id 0x04, seq 0x32
data 0x22 0x02
RECV: type 0x78, len 2, id 0x00, seq 0xb3
data 0x22 0x01
SENT: type 0x78, len 4, id 0x04, seq 0x10
data 0x22 0x05
RECV: type 0x78, len 25, id 0x00, seq 0x21
data 0x20 0x00 0xd7 0x01 0x08 0xd4 0xe5 0xcd 0x22 0x2f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Sending automatic ACK
SENT: type 0x78, len 2, id 0x04, seq 0xa2
RECV: type 0x78, len 25, id 0x00, seq 0x32
data 0x20 0x00 0xd7 0x01 0x08 0xd0 0xe5 0xcd 0x22 0x2f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Sending automatic ACK
Got extra status back
Serial timeout
data 0x22 0x12
Successful
Closing device StubDevice

Any thoughts?

mdmint
01-28-2005, 02:29 AM
My fix was to move one of the cable boxes to another machine with Sage Recorder on it, not much of a fix I'm afraid, but it's all that I could do to get it to work. Guess that 3rd cable box won't be needed until someone fixes this plugin.
I've been fighting adding a DCT2244 to my PVR250 network mode in my HTPC for a couple days. Using DCT.exe v1 (GUI) which changes the channels fine. Exe.dll in common dir both HTPC and SageServer. DCT.exe in SageRecorder dir & SageClinet dir's in HTPC & in SageTV dir Sage Server. REG added both HTPC & SageServer. (stuff added everywhere 'cuz can't get it to work :bang: )

PVR250 in HTPC was previously connected analog cable. In setup wizard removed and added back on TVTuner ch3. EPG populates fine. In setup wizard channel setup if try view a channel get null error, box does not change channels. In TVGuide if click watch now on digital cable station does nothing, absolutely nothing.

With SageRecorder on channel 3 can manually tune digital cable box (not with Recorder), SageRecorder can preview and record whatever comes down the ch3 pipe from the cable box. I've selected exe for control in Recorder.

I've read every single post in this thread mutiple times, Sage manual, network mode instructions, Recorder manual and for the life of me can't get this sucker to work in Sage! :confused: I want it connected via the Network Encoder in the HTPC so the digital cable box is also direct connected to TV for On Demand etc which doesn't need to go through Sage and another layer of encoding decoding. On Demand already has pause, FF RR etc. (unless it's something I'd want to archive of course then would use Sage:-)

What the frick am I missing. :confused: :bang:

mdmint
01-28-2005, 04:04 AM
Progress of sorts but no success. Now in TVGuide if selecting a digital cable channel in Client it timeshifts not the correct channel but the current channel the box is set to. Atleast getting playback through Client and not just Recorder. Funny thing is if I click on say channel 555 in TVGuide Recorder shows channel 555 even though the cable box is on a totally different channel. I fooled around with every setting I can think of in Recorder to no avail. :bang: :confused: :bang:

mdmint
02-01-2005, 12:56 AM
Got a reply back from George at Frey support. Turns out I NEVER would have gotten SageRecorder to serial control channel changes without manually adding info to SageRecorder properties file. Information not in the DCT2000 Pluggin thread or SageRecorder manual or any other of a dozen or more places and threads I searched. Totally undocumented how to.

Besides all the other stuff you have done, SageTV Recorder running as a
stand alone app is not changing channels on the box, correct? That should be
the first thing done before setting up network encoding and everything else.
From my understanding the issue is just changing channels on the box using
SageTV Recorder, but it worked in SageTV before. Correct? I'm guessing you
are setting it up using a coax input since you refer to having Recorder on
channel 3. If so follow the below directions to correctly add this type of
input into Recorder.

I'm pasting the directions and it has two ways to do this. That second way
is the easier way.

This is all going to happen from the machine that is running SageTV Recorder
currently. To get that to show up in recorder requires a few steps. First
close recorder. Now install SageTV on that machine and set it up to change
channels on the receiver. Here's how you are going to set it up. First
select your capture card -> select TV Tuner -> Use external Cable or Sat.
rec. to tune channel -> pick channel 3 -> select USB-UIRT(or your tuning
plugin) -> and you should understand the rest from this point on since you
set it up before. Now close down SageTV.

You will now need to open up your Sage.properties file in that same machine.
In there under the mmc/encoders lines will be two specific lines you need.
These two lines will be copied over to the SageRecorder.properties file. In
the Sage.properties file look for your encoder that you set up in Sage.
Since you only setup one capture device you will only see one set of
encoders. Basically the line mmc/encoders/XXXXXXX correlates to one capture
device. If you had two capture devices there would be a different set of
numbers correlating to that capture device. These unique numbers will more
than likely be the same on both the Sage.properties file and
SageRecorder.properties file.

Here is an example from mine. When you setup SageTV like I described above
you will have this section created in your Sage.properties file:

mmc/encoders/133509170/1/3/video_crossbar_index=3
mmc/encoders/133509170/1/3/video_crossbar_type=1

The mmc/encoders/XXXXXXX/1/3 is the important line you are looking for.
There will be other lines like this created, but the two lines above are
the important ones, the rest can be ignored.

Now open up your SageRecorder.properties file and add those two lines to it.
Just make sure that those unique numbers match up to yours.

Here is the easier way to do all this and that is to add two new lines to
your SageRecorder.properties file. There is no need to install SageTV. Go
to the mmc/encoders line and add these two lines like above. I gave you the
long directions first so you understand what we are doing here. If you do it
the easy way just make sure to change the "X's" to your number that
correlates to the capture card in that system.

mmc/encoders/XXXXXXXX/1/3/video_crossbar_index=3
mmc/encoders/XXXXXXXX/1/3/video_crossbar_type=1

After you have verified that this works then you can proceed and setup the
network encoder you were trying to setup.
Since I'd already previously had the PVR250 in network mode working analog cable I simple added the two lines in both SageRecorder prop and SageTV prop on Server.

Adding the lines in Recorder created a new tuner option in SageRecorder setup. Namely tuner fixed on channel 3. Assigned the DCT exe dll plugin to it and bingo. (Same thing that is user configurable in SageTV but not normally available in SageRecorder by default)

InTheFlow
02-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Just so you know, I had an error message that mscomm32.ocx was not registered. I had to find a download site to get a copy of the .ocx control and put it into the SageTV folder.
Andrew

Hey ya'll,

I had this same error and needed the mscomm32.ocx file as well. In case someone else needs it, I'm attaching it to this post to save you the hassle of trying to find it. :)

You will need to rename the file to .ocx in order for it to work. The system wouldn't let me upload a .ocx file.

InTheFlow
02-07-2005, 09:51 AM
I just removed the modem (and the drivers from Windows XP). I still get the same message in the DCT2000 utility: "Run-time error '8018': Operation valid only when the port is open." I checked the COM1 Port settings in Windows and under the COM port number, it's listed as COM1 and it says COM2 is already in use. This makes complete sense to me, as COM2 is being used by the second serial port. I guess I'm stumped. Everything should add up to this working and it's not.

Hey Aramh,

I had many of the same issues you experienced throughout this thread and was able to get things working.

Hopefully the steps I took and share here will assist you and others. :)

First, thank you Snewman for the dll...it works GREAT now that I got my issues fixed!

I have a UPS which attached to the serial port and originally thought it was probably just a straight through cable and could use it with my DCT.

After a lot of testing, I found out that this was not true.

So, I went to my local radioshack and picked up an straight through serial cable. You need the male to female cable for this to work. (My radioshack was out of that one so I got a female to female and used an adapter I had at the house.)

If you are getting the above error you need to check and make sure the UPS process is not running. Once I killed it I also had to go into to the UPS settings and switch the COM port to 2. (My computer only has one physical COM port.)

After doing that, it no longer gave me the "Run-time error '8018': Operation valid only when the port is open." error! :clap:

So, use a regular straight through serial cable and if you have a UPS or had one, check the settings I mentioned.

Now the bad boy changes channels like a mega-champ! Woohoo! :jump:

Thanks to everyone who worked on making this a reality! It is great to not have to use the IR Blaster with the DCT!

gadgetfox
03-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Just a heads-up to any Comcast users trying to get a serial connection to their Motorola digital cable box working. I've just struck out here in Saint Paul, MN using every technique in the book trying to get them to enable it. Nope. They are adamant about forcing people to buy THEIR DVR option and will support nothing else via the Serial connection.

But it's a big American media corporation, so I had already assumed that customer service would be last on their minds. Looks like I'm stuck using IR Blaster until they decide to turn THAT off too in the interest of making a little more money.

Manol
04-02-2005, 07:43 AM
I have some problems running the plug IN with Sage Tv 2.2.7. As soon as I select the MultiDCT plugin during the setup of my tuner , SageTV disappear (Crash ? ). Anybody with the same Problem ?

Edit : I found my problem : the path to the log file in the .ini ponted to an invalid directory which caused SageTV to crash during the tuner setup.

DAIBHI5
04-08-2005, 04:06 AM
I can't get this to work right. I downloaded the patch and can change the channels via dct.exe so I know the serial port/cable work. However, in SageTV I cannot change the channel. I can only view the channel that the box is set to at that time. Any help would be appreciated.

jbitely
05-10-2005, 11:03 AM
1. Ever since the MultiDCTTuner install, I have had 3 spontanious reboots and one crash of SageTV. Nothing else has changed but I'm open to suggestions which may be releated to the adding of the additional source.

I have the same problem, except much more frequently. Using the .dll plugin version, the computer reboots every 5-30 minutes. No warning, no error messages, no events in the event viewer. If I use dct.exe the machine reboots much less frequently, but usually can't make it through recording a full 2 hour movie.

Changing channels works perfectly using either method, but the reboots make using Sage impossible. I know it is related to the serial control because when I uninstall/disable the plugin Sage runs rock solid (but obviously then can't change channels).

Any ideas about where to start looking for conflicts/things to change?

zecora
09-10-2005, 01:03 PM
If anyone could help me that would be great. Here is my thread.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12459

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12467

georgebarr
09-10-2005, 03:07 PM
I got the MultiDCTTuner working with my DCT2244. The trick is to modify the INI file. In this file, set the 'logfile' parameter to an existing path, and change the com ports in 'port' and 'StubDevice' parameters. Of course, you must follow the instructions in the readme.txt file.

Also, you must know what com port your PC uses for the serial cable. The serial cable is a straight-thru DB9 cable.

zecora
09-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Can you post your .ini file?

Homebuilder
09-28-2005, 02:23 AM
Hi, read through this thread and saw a few mentions of the "carrier detect changed state" problem but not sure, has it ever been solved?

In my set up when I restart my machine and it first changes a channel this pops up. It still changes the channel, but it does this pop up. If I click it "ok" everything is fine.

Otherwise if I try to change channels without clicking the ok on the pop up, it wont change channels and another pop up error comes up. My girlfriend will keep trying to change channels and I will have over 50 pop ups to clear on my server...

If it would be possible to just automatically click ok on the pop up that would solve my problem.

Is there an updated plug in that solves this?

Thanks in advance!

Bandit
12-28-2005, 06:27 PM
Well, I read through all of this an didnt see a mention of my problem. After a reboot it works fine for the first channel change, however, any other attempts to change the channel all I get is a beep in the background and no channel change. I can launch the GUI and hit the up and down arrow and change channels all day long....anyone have any clues?

gtruta
12-29-2005, 08:41 AM
I am a newbie, I won't hide that... I have Sage running except for the control of the cable box. I am also trying to setup the EXETunerPlugin for my comcast DCT2000 series motorola box, every time I choose the EXETunerPlugin.exe from the setup, SageTV just turns off (crashes). Is this because I like the above post suggests do not have the SageTv running in service mode? Or something else?

I downloaded what appears to be the newest EXETunerPlugin from sourceforge website but no go. Looks like you are trying to use girder to do this, I am not not but if you or anyone can help I would appreciate it, the thread that the EXETunerPlugin is in is somewhat old, over 1 year...it appears V4 of Sage might have a compatibility issue or a difference causing this conflict. Thanks again in advance.

Greg - Denver, CO
Oracle Application Programmer/Analyst

Tdog
01-17-2006, 03:26 PM
has anyone gotten this to work with v4.1? I can change the channels when i run the application seprate but sage won't change the channels.

update: nm i switched it to com port 1 and it worked in sage. not sure why it wouldn't work for com port 2.

k9k9
04-16-2006, 02:42 AM
gtruta.. I use exeTuner with sageV4 and it works great.

I got it from here:

http://www.sagetv.com/2_papers/EXETunerPlugin.zip

I use an IR blaster with HIP, but that really isn't relevant if you're having problems just getting the tuner installed.

Oh yeah, I have sageTV used as a service, that could be it. I'm not sure though, I think I installed EXEtuner without problems before I switched over to using it as a service.

It's really easy to switch it back and forth. With the service control (start>sageTV>sageTV service control) I would try experimenting with a lot of different settings.

If you can get it to stop crashing and actually take the install, then I would suggest you follow step 1 of Steerpikes guide to test that EXEtuner is working:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=146080&postcount=10

Hope that helps. :)

-k9k9

k9k9
04-16-2006, 02:44 AM
oh wow, just noticed he posted back in december :( .. haha I hope he got it working. It's way to late.

flipnjme
05-11-2006, 05:50 PM
does the MultiDCTTuner 1.2 work with sagetv 4.

scoful
06-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Just wondering if anyone has come up with a good solution to using MultiDCT with OnDemand services? If I try to go to an OnDemand channel, MultiDCT keeps trying to confirm completion of the channel change and finally shuts off the cable box. I tried setting it to 'blind' mode so it wouldn't verify that the channel had changed, but this made it so it wouldn't change the channel at all. I have found that I have to find a movie on a regular channel that is long enough and highjack the cable box with the regular cable box remote for OnDemand.

Aganerral
06-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Has anyone gotten this to work with a DCT5000 series box? I had it working on my old DCT2000 series, but when I went to HDTV, I had to get a new cable box to get the HDTV channels fron Comcast. Unfortunately, the DCT5100 I have only has USB inputs. I tried using a serial-->USB adapter but that doesn't seem to be working, was hoping to cehck with other people's experience.

scoful
06-15-2006, 10:17 PM
does the MultiDCTTuner 1.2 work with sagetv 4.
Yes, works in 4 and 5.

mayamaniac
07-30-2006, 02:36 AM
I'm having issues (http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=19242)with my IR Blasters, so decided to try the serial method. I'm testing the MultiDCTTuner 1.2 plugin and not having any luck. Here are my steps:

- Placed the .dll and .ini in /Common folder, placed the MultiDCTTuner folder inside /Common/RemoteCodes/.
- Launched SageTV service and UI.

I tried to setup the new tuner, but after selecting the MultiDCTTuner as the external control, SageTV just locks up. The same thing happens if I try again.

What am I doing wrong? Are there any updated instructions for SageTV v5.04?

EDIT: It helps to follow instructions carefully.:bang: Somehow I missed a step in the instruction. I didn't copied "MotorolaDCT2000.ir" from the ActiSys folder to the MultiDCTTuner folder, also needed to edit the .ini file to replace the line "StubDevice.ir" with "MotorolaDCT2000.ir" and now everything works.
:clap: :dance: :goodjob:

scoful
08-10-2006, 07:28 AM
I seem to recall having this problem when my serial cable wasn't connected. Many cable providers apparently disable the serial interface so you can't use it this way.

hemicuda
08-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Will any amount of begging/complaining/gnashing-of-teeth get them to turn the DB9 port back on? I greatly prefer the wired tuning to the optical method. Guess I'll find out what Comcast down here does in the next 2wks.

wbarber69
08-19-2006, 12:46 AM
I was wondering how many boxes per recording server installation can I have set to serial control

scoful
08-19-2006, 01:42 PM
After much success with a single DCT Tuner, I'm trying to set up a second one in tandem. I have 3 PVR150's - 1 is DCT Tuner, 1 is Analog Tuned and the third one will be DCT Tuned. I read the documentation and it says the instructions are in the MultiDCTTuner.ini file - but it really doesn't say what to do there. Can somebody give me some examples of how to do this? My second tuner will be on COM3, First is COM1.

scoful
08-19-2006, 06:16 PM
After searching extensively found the answers somewhere in here. It's working now.

mazakmaster
08-20-2006, 11:36 AM
When I reboot my sage server the cable box channel changing does not work, or it works once. I noticed that there are 2 copies of DCT.EXE running in the process tab in Task Manager. If i shut them down it works fine. I have looked to see where it is getting loaded and cant find it. Anyone have any idea how i can fix this problem?

hemicuda
08-20-2006, 01:00 PM
You could download a copy of SpyBot S&D. It will give you a list of programs that are scheduled to run at startup and the option to have them not start; among searching for spy/mal-ware. Other than that I'd look in Start >> Programs >> Startup for a link to the offending file. It's also possible that a BAT file or other app is calling it to action. Hope that helps.

mayamaniac
08-21-2006, 03:25 AM
mazakmaster, use the MultiDCTTuner 1.2 plugin instead, it does not require the dct.exe file. See my post (a few posts above), it works much better than the dct.exe plugin in the first post of this thread.

Would a mod (opus4 or whoever) modify the first post of this thread and add links and info about the MultiDCTTuner 1.2? That way, a newbie doesn't need to search through 190+ posts to find it.

scoful
08-28-2006, 09:39 PM
I was wondering how many boxes per recording server installation can I have set to serial control

It appears with the multidcttuner.dll you could configure up to 256 (the maximum number of COM ports you can set up in XP).

scoful
08-28-2006, 09:40 PM
mazakmaster, use the MultiDCTTuner 1.2 plugin instead, it does not require the dct.exe file. See my post (a few posts above), it works much better than the dct.exe plugin in the first post of this thread.

Would a mod (opus4 or whoever) modify the first post of this thread and add links and info about the MultiDCTTuner 1.2? That way, a newbie doesn't need to search through 190+ posts to find it.

Multidcttuner.exe is far more reliable than dct.exe.:)

hemicuda
09-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Has anyone gotten this to work with a DCT5000 series box? I had it working on my old DCT2000 series, but when I went to HDTV, I had to get a new cable box to get the HDTV channels fron Comcast. Unfortunately, the DCT5100 I have only has USB inputs. I tried using a serial-->USB adapter but that doesn't seem to be working, was hoping to cehck with other people's experience.

Any luck w/ this yet? I got a look at one on the Tech's van yesterday. Has the following ports on the back:

IR (headphone-type jack)
Cat5 network
USB (x2 I think)
Composit vid.
S-vid
ZERO firewire ports :(

I'd really hate to miss out on using the DTC serial link.

jbarr
09-07-2006, 08:39 AM
I'm building SageTV HTPC with two Hauppauge PVR-100 tuner cards. I plan to use serial cables to control two DCT-2000 Digital Cable boxes using the MultiDCTTuner plugin. So far, I was able to get the connection with COM1 working (and it works SO well!) But my motherboard does not have a COM2 port. So, can I simply use any of the many USB to Serial adapters that will provide a COM2? I suspect that I can, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has used one or had problems using one.

Thanks!

tmiranda
09-07-2006, 09:35 AM
I know this is a little off-topic but I do not know where else to ask. Can the Motorola DCT boxes be bought on the open market or do you have top get them through your cable company? I did a quick search on eBay and did not see any at all.

BobPhoenix
09-07-2006, 10:03 AM
I know this is a little off-topic but I do not know where else to ask. Can the Motorola DCT boxes be bought on the open market or do you have top get them through your cable company? I did a quick search on eBay and did not see any at all.I fell for the Trap of getting 2 eBay boxes. Most of them are stolen from the cable company. And even if you can find one that isn't you are likely to find that the cable company will not activate it - in USA anyway.

hemicuda
09-07-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm building SageTV HTPC with two Hauppauge PVR-100 tuner cards. I plan to use serial cables to control two DCT-2000 Digital Cable boxes using the MultiDCTTuner plugin. So far, I was able to get the connection with COM1 working (and it works SO well!) But my motherboard does not have a COM2 port. So, can I simply use any of the many USB to Serial adapters that will provide a COM2? I suspect that I can, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has used one or had problems using one.

Thanks!

In short... yes.

it worked great at the apartment before SP2 broke the adapter drivers. this laptop has needed an OS reinstall for quite some time now. guess I have an excuse since COM1 tx capability died not long ago and most of our testing equip uses 9-pin interfaces. :gun: M$

tmiranda
09-08-2006, 10:09 AM
BobPhoenix - That's what I figured, thanks. I've got a cable drop into the house that is dedicated for internet access and it is begging to be tested to see if the cable company has put on filter on it to block the digital signals. Knowing my (very small) cable company, it is completely unfiltered.

BobPhoenix
09-08-2006, 04:18 PM
BobPhoenix - That's what I figured, thanks. I've got a cable drop into the house that is dedicated for internet access and it is begging to be tested to see if the cable company has put on filter on it to block the digital signals. Knowing my (very small) cable company, it is completely unfiltered.If they broadcast in analog too then you don't need a box to test that just hook the coax up to your tuner card. Digital however requires a box and they have to be activated which is what most cable company's will not do. They actually have to enter the MAC address (not correct term but similar concept) into their system before the box and their system will communicate with each other. Once they start communicating the box will then decode the digital signal. What they really want you to do is rent the box from them. Wish they would let you buy the box the same way you can buy the cable modem's and get them activated.

BobP.

tmiranda
09-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Bob,

Thanks for the explanation. I've never used digital TV at all so I was not sure how things were configured. I was hoping you could buy a box as well.

I know the analog signal works, that's what feeds my 4 analog tuners!

Tom

scoful
09-13-2006, 10:14 PM

Thanks!

Here is the USB to Serial adaptor I used:
http://www.techdepot.com/pro/product.asp?productid=110971

Haven't had any problems with it.

mattdcknsn
12-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Is this plugin usable with other Motorola boxes? I have a Motorola qip2500 and tried to connect to it with this plugin but am not sure if I configured it wrong. This box is from Verizon FIOS, I have heard from a tivo community board that it was turned on.

Also, about the IR file that is supplied, is that just an IR file generated by a UIRT or is it special somehow? thanks for all your help.

mrrrl
12-12-2006, 09:56 PM
I just tried this with a Comcast Motorola 2524 STB. Works great. I did have to call to get the serial port enabled, but did not have a problem with Comcast. I told them I had a Tivo and they said not a problem. Ten minutes after hanging up, it worked. I did have to edit the dct.reg and take out the # to get it to change 3 digit channels.

raymond
12-17-2006, 09:22 PM
hey I am a newby, do this saftware still work?

scoful
12-22-2006, 02:53 PM
I use it everyday. I use it with two Motorola STB's. If you are only using it with one the setup is very easy. (It's not much more difficult for multiple STB's either).
:)

mayamaniac
12-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Not the dct.exe software on the first post of this thread though. At some point in this thread, the plugin changed or a better replacement plugin was found. Its called the MultiDCTTuner DLL v1.2. Download page is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/multidcttuner/ . The zip file contains a readme.txt on how to install it.

jbarr
12-22-2006, 09:55 PM
MultiDCTTuner is a lifesaver. My DCT-2000 works flawlessly with it. IR blasters were COMPLETELY unreliable. I highly recommend MultiDCTTuner.

scoful
12-22-2006, 10:25 PM
People (including myself) seem to have a hard time finding the download for this - so I set one up in the downloads section (External Plugins and Utilities).

Thanks again to snewman for this excellent plugin - without which I don't know how much less addicted to SageTV I might be.

amdcursed
01-09-2007, 11:58 AM
I had a setup working at sagetv 3 but fell away from the scene for a while. I had multidcttuner working back then and see that it is supposed to work now with sagetv6. But when i set up my source and tell it to use the plugin sagetv just closes. everytime. Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind. I found the post above about the log file. Change frey technologies to sagetv and your set.

Thron
01-18-2007, 09:21 AM
I have a Motorola 2224 connected to my system with a serial cable running Sage v5. When I test the serial port using the dct.exe (dcx xxx) it changes to the channel I want. When I try to setup the MultiDCTTuner Sage completely locks up. I have messed with it for over 2 days now and I cant figure it out.

I finally gave up and installed Sage v6 hoping this would solve the problem. Now when I select MultiDCTTuner Sage crashes and shuts down. I have logging enabled but it never gets to that point. Does anyone have any ideas?

For the time being I went back to using USB-UIRT to slowly change the channels.

Thanks
:bang:

white_2kgt
04-27-2007, 09:24 AM
Is this plugin usable with other Motorola boxes? I have a Motorola qip2500 and tried to connect to it with this plugin but am not sure if I configured it wrong. This box is from Verizon FIOS, I have heard from a tivo community board that it was turned on.

Also, about the IR file that is supplied, is that just an IR file generated by a UIRT or is it special somehow? thanks for all your help.

Any updates if this will/should work with the QIP2500? Any idea how to make it work with it (currently doesn't work for me*)? I'm in the same boat as mattdcknsn, using IR now but...well you all know those drawbacks.

Thanks,
Chad

*When I try and run dct 105, or dct 10, or dct 5 I get no text, the program just exits, there's no lines of text after the command, only 1 blank link and then the command prompt. If I just run dct the GUI comes up I click buttons but nothing happens.

lewellej
09-23-2007, 04:44 PM
I recently got a DCT2524 STB from Comcast, and had MultiDCTTuner running fine with it under SageTV 6.1. I upgraded to 6.2 yesterday, and noticed that Sage was no longer changing the channels on the box. I removed that video source in Sage, and found when I went to add it again that all tuner plugins were missing except for DirecTV serial.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

sundansx
01-30-2008, 12:29 PM
I want to make some modification to this plugin but the source code on sourceforge appears to be out of date. from what I found, It is older than the latest released binary on sourceforge. Does anyone have the latest source code that version 1.2 was built from?
Does snewman still use sagetv or post here?
thanks.

Doobiedog
02-12-2008, 09:39 AM
I want to make some modification to this plugin but the source code on sourceforge appears to be out of date. from what I found, It is older than the latest released binary on sourceforge. Does anyone have the latest source code that version 1.2 was built from?
Does snewman still use sagetv or post here?
thanks.

I just found this site/thread about a week ago....Other than your post, no one has posted for about 5 months....Looks like it is dead to me....

davidjames
06-10-2008, 09:19 PM
I recently got a DCT2524 STB from Comcast, and had MultiDCTTuner running fine with it under SageTV 6.1. I upgraded to 6.2 yesterday, and noticed that Sage was no longer changing the channels on the box. I removed that video source in Sage, and found when I went to add it again that all tuner plugins were missing except for DirecTV serial.

Any ideas as to what's going on?
FWIW, i was able to get DCT2524 to work under SageTV 6.3. I can post the steps if anyone is interested.

InTheFlow
06-10-2008, 09:40 PM
FWIW, i was able to get DCT2524 to work under SageTV 6.3. I can post the steps if anyone is interested.

Hey DavidJames...

It would help anyone who wants to know how to do in the future. So, if your willing to share the steps while they are still fresh in your mind, go for it! :clap:

leirret66
06-24-2008, 07:44 PM
could you share the steps with me please thank you

martinez036
03-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Serial control of my Motorolla DCT2244 is now working! I made the change to dct.reg this morning and it worked like a charm. Thanks for figuring this out! Once Sage TV 2.0 comes out I will finally have a real Tivo replacement.

I have a Motorola DCT2244 but I don`t seee the seria port. How can I install the DCT.exe? How did you do? Do I need a serial port or internally? Thanks for you help..

vhurst
05-05-2010, 01:26 AM
I have a Motorola 2224 connected to my system with a serial cable running Sage v5. When I test the serial port using the dct.exe (dcx xxx) it changes to the channel I want. When I try to setup the MultiDCTTuner Sage completely locks up. I have messed with it for over 2 days now and I cant figure it out.

I finally gave up and installed Sage v6 hoping this would solve the problem. Now when I select MultiDCTTuner Sage crashes and shuts down. I have logging enabled but it never gets to that point. Does anyone have any ideas?

For the time being I went back to using USB-UIRT to slowly change the channels.

Thanks
:bang:

I had the same problem. Just fix the logfile path in MultiDCTTuner.ini. This plugin was written so long ago, and the default Sage directory has changed. After the path correction, it still works great for Sage v6.6.2.

Setting up more than one DCT STB takes some more work though. Read the instructions carefully, and get familliar with the sage.properties file!