PDA

View Full Version : Plugin: Web User Interface for SageTV 2.2-6.6 (V2.25 18 Sep 2009)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

ToonGal
10-02-2006, 05:47 PM
As always, nielm (and now Jreichen), thank you very much for your additions and improvements to the webserver. The current release encapsulates a ton of the functionality I specified, and delivers almost exactly as I hoped / requested.

Truth be told, since nobody ever commented on my multiple suggestions posts (favorites Manager details, ratings graphics, EPG week view, etc.), I just figured nobody cared... While I like my ideas, I stopped posting more, since it didn't seem to pique anyone's interest. I even deleted the list of past/present additional suggestions for the webserver a month or two ago on my machine, figuring future time / effort was not to be spent on the webserver.

Well, I have to say "thank you" to you both. Even though months after the fact, you guys came through. Means a lot that you did read what I wrote and cared enough to meet the needs / requests of your users. It's what made me sign up with SageTV initially and what keeps me a happy end-user.

While I do have other ideas / comments, I'll build a more thoughtful list before I post it. DID want to thank you for all your efforts on this, because it is amazingly useful for me. Only (minor) immediate comment tho:

- COMMENT: The about.html page is not updated to show current information changes

Thanks again gang! Keep up the good work. :)

nielm
10-05-2006, 04:07 AM
There were actually more changes in that release than I realised: Here are the rest:

Jreichen's changes:
Detailed info:
* ENHANCEMENT Show 'year' and 'runtime' in detailed info (if data is present, eg for movies)

nielm's changes:
* ENHANCEMENT: Home page now displays number of resolved and unresolved conflicts
* ENHANCEMENT: better generation of RSS urls
* BUGFIX: epg links for currently recording shows (should) now work

svalmorri
10-06-2006, 08:04 AM
V2.9 Oct 1 2007 -- for Sage versions 2.2-6.0

Nielm you are always ways ahead of us :D

nielm
10-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Nielm you are always ways ahead of us :D
D'oh!

ToonGal
10-07-2006, 02:24 AM
First off, I just have to say again how much I love the new version. The EPG week by channel and favorites improvements have made the webserver even more integral to the SageTV experience. In that spirit, I've taken some time to give feedback on thoughts and ideas I have for potential future additions. Thanks again Nielm and co! :)

- QUESTION: Connected Clients on main page
Mine only lists: [/127.0.0.1:2254]. Is this my SageClient on the server? Is this where Placeshifter / SageClient clients list?

- BUG: update about.htm to reflect full changes

- BUG: Add'l airings to a show seems to parse on string, not on title ID
We have all "Star Trek" shows set as favorites. This includes "Star Trek: The Next Gen", "Star Trek: Enterprise" as well as just "Star Trek". When you search for 'additional airings' to "Star Trek", it shows all shows which have the string "Star Trek" instead of just the specific show "Star Trek". Since SpikeTV shows 3x TNG and 2x DS9, it's hard to filter thru to find only the ST (TOS) episodes. It works inside of SageTV the way I describe here.

- BUG/REQUEST: Sage Favorites doesn't reflect 'default' recording quality
minor quibble, but I change my default recording quality when I go on vacation currently it displays the actual recording quality, even if it is set at 'default' as opposed to a specific setting. would prefer 'default' when it is 'default', so I know which ones are manually set and which are automatically. Seems to be able to differentiate in the detail scrren so assume it can at the higher level.

- REQUEST: add 4 digit ep number before ep title (configurable, I guess)
on the EPG x3 views, would be desirable to see the 4 digit ep guide (if ep# != 0000)

- REQUEST: add description, if (ep# != 0000) & (ep title=NULL) & (desc!=NULL) (configurable, I guess)
Sage Recs, Rec Sched, etc.
Ebert & Roeper, for example, never have a title, but have the movies reviewed on the ep in the desc.
I'd mention "2006 WSOP" and "Jerry Springer" as other examples, but the man in the house watches that, not me. :)
To prevent too much length in the desc, can just take the first 'x' characters (75?)

- REQUEST: for movies, put *s to represent review on detail
recommended placement, under 1/2 height movie rating

potential graphics to use on 4 star system:
http://images.hollywood.com/site/0.gif
http://images.hollywood.com/site/0.5.gif
http://images.hollywood.com/site/4.gif

Would scale to 1/2 height, like ratings, on the Sage/Upcoming Recordings pages
would use original height on the Detailed Information page

- REQUEST: movie detail added to EPG x3 views
always lots of empty space in movies, and more info useful on EPGs while browsing to see which ones worthwhile
text for year, category. graphics for ratings/review
if possible, maybe even the description

example (from Zap2It):
The Horse Whisperer ***+ (1998, Drama) A Montana healer helps a traumatized girl and horse. PG-13

- REQUEST: ShowLogos, like ChannelLogos

Would align channel logos w/ the folder logos on Sage Recordings page
Would display show logos where channel logos currently are on sage Recordings page
would add show logos to left of channel logos on Recording Schedules page (like Sage Recs)
would add show logos to left of channel logos on Sage Favorites (like Sage Recs)
would display show logos to left of channel logos on Detailed Information page

- REQUEST: Category filters on EPG x3 views

create another list box with all possible categories, including "all".
whichever category (categories?) is/are selected will filter out all other ones from
beign displayed. This is especially useful on the EPG grid, as if I want to search
for "Sports" it should only display the cells that have category=Sports. The Zap2It
web site has a feature like this on their EPG for comparison.

- REQUEST: Integrating import BobPhoenix - encoder names

Currently Recording (home page), Detail for Sage Recordings, etc.

replace encoder strings from Sage.properties:
RDP/encoder_name_Hauppauge\ WinTV\ PVR\ PCI\ II\ Capture=PCI PVR 1
RDP/encoder_name_Hauppauge\ WinTV\ PVR\ PCI\ II\ Capture\ \#2=PCI PVR 2
RDP/encoder_name_Hauppauge\ WinTV\ PVR\ PCI\ II\ Capture\ \#3=PCI PVR 3

- REQUEST: Integrating import BobPhoenix - fave channel lists

add filter for 'all' or fave channels on EPG grid view from Sage.properties:
RDP/favorite_channel_lists=Cable,Local,Sports,
RDP/favorite_channels_Cable=17098,14753,18510,10179,12444,11109,34240,11208,16376,19002,10919,21760,31556,18151,10150,17561,19933,24533,11180,26046,
RDP/favorite_channels_Local=10760,10600,10672,10641,10507,10479,10653,10467,10345,10619,10657,10717,
RDP/favorite_channels_Sports=17098,18510,10179,12444,11109,19002,15952,

- REQUEST: full remote control commands for Web Remote

the most basic commands missing from here are FF2, RW2. Highly desired would be custom4/5 (comskip).
Wouldn't mind FullScreen, MainMenu, SageRecs, TVGuide, RecSched, LiveTV, Captions, Forward (opposite of back), Standby.
Import version BobPhoenix of TimeScroll would be bonus points. Nielm's multi-function stop would be divine!
Better organization of controls instead of the square / symmetry might be good too.

- REQUEST: System Information

The screen inside of SageTV would be useful information to have access to inside of the webserver.
One stop shopping for basic info (s/w, java, current stv, etc.) maybe a section on the home page.
Maybe an entry under the SageTV menu, if replicating the entire list of information

- REQUEST: comskip integration?

The most difficult, I'm sure. Some sort of display on the Sage Recordings to reflect if the show has generated
comskip files (.txt, .edl), to initiate comskip processing (if no .txt .edl), or any integration. I understand
this is the least likely, but I remember integration w/ Cayars STV and always thought it would be great to be
in the webserver.

nielm
10-07-2006, 02:45 AM
- QUESTION: Connected Clients on main page
Mine only lists: [/127.0.0.1:2254]. Is this my SageClient on the server?yep -- 127.0.0.1 is the sagetv UI on the server when using service mode.

Placeshifters and MVP's ('extenders') are listed in the 'now playing' section when they are connected
- BUG: update about.htm to reflect full changes
-- known (already fixed in dev version)

- BUG: Add'l airings to a show seems to parse on string, not on title ID
it shows all shows which have the string "Star Trek" Its normal that it matches on string (title ID's are only used by zap2it and are not reliable elsewhere: Sage also searches by title string) but it's a known bug (already fixed in dev version) that it does not search for the exact title, and gets partial matches.

ToonGal
10-07-2006, 05:43 AM
- REQUEST: full remote control commands for Web Remote

the most basic commands missing from here are FF2, RW2. Highly desired would be custom4/5 (comskip).
Wouldn't mind FullScreen, MainMenu, SageRecs, TVGuide, RecSched, LiveTV, Captions, Forward (opposite of back), Standby.
Import version BobPhoenix of TimeScroll would be bonus points. Nielm's multi-function stop would be divine!
Better organization of controls instead of the square / symmetry might be good too.Never let it be said that I don't like to help contribute to the cause. :) Decided to do this myself and donate the work product to the populace. Yes, the graphics I drew are lousy, but the code works, and I've been using it tonight successfully. Just install my version of the html file over the current one (back up if you like), and the graphics files are the new ones I've added. Anyone who can draw, please do replace them. PLEASE! ;)

No idea how to make the imports by BobPhoenix or Nielm work, as requested by me, but have the base core functions provided by SageTV fully integrated.

Enjoy! :)

EDIT: I hate that this forum doesn't support .rar files. adding .zip file... :)

matt91
10-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Never let it be said that I don't like to help contribute to the cause. :) Decided to do this myself and donate the work product to the populace. Yes, the graphics I drew are lousy, but the code works, and I've been using it tonight successfully. Just install my version of the html file over the current one (back up if you like), and the graphics files are the new ones I've added. Anyone who can draw, please do replace them. PLEASE! ;)

This seems to work great. Thanks!

Provides much more functionality than the default webremote.

Matt

steingra
10-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Well somehow I mucked up the sagetv web server plugin. Was always running fine (version 1.6 I believe I was running), and last night I downloaded 2.9 and tried to *install it* :( didnt go so well.

When I run it, I am getting javascript errors. The main web page shows up, but no menus.

My question is, is, how can I delete all traces of the web server addin, and start over. I dont mind starting over from scratch.

And another question is, can I just install 2.9 by itself? I mean, can I just download the zip file from sourceforce and *install it*??

It seems like there were not very many files in the 2.9 zip file. So I suppose that means I have to install some prerequisites. But I didnt see them mentioned in the wiki. Maybe I just overlooked something.

I hoping its easy to start over.

I really want to use the new 2.9 version. :)

Thanks!

EDIT:NEVERMIND!!!!! I figured it out. I just did not follow directions close enough. Guess I shouldnt be trying this new stuff so late at night. :-O It appears to be working just fine now. Time to experiement with it now COOOL!

I didnt erase the \ACME and \net directories. ooops. Once I deleted them, it worked fine.

geogecko
10-08-2006, 11:05 PM
2.9 should have everything you need in it. However, if you wanted to delete the original, I would think you just need to delete the webserver folder in the SageTV/SageTV directory, and in 2.9, there appears to be 4 JAR files associated with it, nielm_sageutils, nielm_sagewebserver, nielm_sagexmlinfo, and servlet. However, these may be used by other fuctions, and not just by the webserver.

One thing you may need to do, if you forgot, was to backup and restore your realms.properties file, which has your userid and password information. Your port information is stored in the properties file, so if you started with a new properties file, be sure you replaced the properties file listings in the instructions.

steingra
10-08-2006, 11:24 PM
So far its running just fine. Been clicking through the screens. Really liking it.

I do have one feature request for nielm...how difficult would it be to add a search criteria for seaching by filename.

I lost 1 TB of recorded videos :( and I would like an easy way to identify which shows were recorded onto that server. So if I could seach by a partial match in the filename of all the recorded shows...then I could proceed to start cleaning up the mess. Because I have 100's of videos that are still showing up in the SageTV recordings...but I know for sure they are gone. Because I had to rebuild that server including refomatting drives... long boring story anyway...

jhh
10-11-2006, 03:51 AM
hi,

XBMC viewing is currently limited to traditional VCR viewing, i.e. the recording has to be finished before you can actually watch it (that is not really true nor false as you will see)

There are 2 ways the XBMC script can show the recorded video:

- direct access to the file

The program does not really have to be recorded completely before you can start watching but you can only do so up to the time you started watching. Lets say you have a 30 min show and 10 min in the show you start watching. The time box will say that you're watching 00:00:nn / 00:10:00. After you have watched 80% of the show the script will mark the show as watched by means of the webserver. Then something really bad happens and the system stops recording. I have to admit that when I start recording a file and I set it to watched that I cannot replicate this behaviour using the Webserver alone so maybe the SageTV script does something else in reality.

Then I start watching the show again and a second file is created for the same show continuing the recording. I'm not sure that I would get a second file if I did not try to continue watching. The file splitting behaviour can easily be reproduced using SageTV.py and XBMC.

I think even if I did switch off the watched setting that I would still be in trouble - as it would not show me the complete recording in one go. So this is a dead end.

- streaming through the webserver

According to Coolwave this is not recommended for performance reasons but I have to say it works nicely. However when I request the playlist.m3u from the Webserver this is what I get when I try 3 times with 5 second interval:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:5,"Herfstbeelden" at 9:30 AM on 2 Canvas
http://www.------.tv:8080/sagepublic/MediaFile?MediaFileId=3454248&Segment=0

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:10,"Herfstbeelden" at 9:30 AM on 2 Canvas

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:15,"Herfstbeelden" at 9:30 AM on 2 Canvas

The number after EXTINF: is the number of seconds that will be streamed to you. Now I tried something in Windows - I copied the playlist and changed the number of seconds and the file kept playing beyond the point in time where I actually started playing it. [EDIT] not so sure anymore as my mediaplayer was set to replay at end of file - Nielm: is it possible that teh webserver continues streaming (or to let it do so) ? [EDIT]

So in that sense the Webserver is a bit conservative - it gives the number of seconds that it has and not the number of seconds that it will record. I still have to experiment a bit on what will happen if I fast forward too much and that sort of things but at least it looks promising.

As always in IT there are several places to fix a problem: when I change the playlist before submitting it to the XBMC player the webserver might as well give it directly - on the other hand if SageTV continues to record after the current show (as in watch livetv) then not even the Webserver knows what value to pass on.

Alternative solutions (in random order):

- the webserver gives the time of the total recording including padding in the playlist even if SageTV is still recording. This would allow streaming recordings which are currently recording in the webserver also.
- the webserver gives duration and padding and I modify the playlist before I submit it to the player. Currently it gives padding only after recording is finished?
- we don't care and I modify the playlist before submitting it to play for the next 3 hrs expecting the user to hit the stop button to stop watching

[EDIT] Well I tried alternative number 3 and it did not work - the client got a playlist with duration of 3 hrs but I think the Webserver stopped streaming [EDIT]

Input on which solution to go for is very welcome.

Jan

p.s.: thanks very much for all the effort you have put in this so far (in case you didn't see it on the XBMC script page :) )

Skiier__Dude
10-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Trying to download this plugin and view the instructions on the Wiki but I am getting the following error..

Oops...
Trac detected an internal error:

database is locked

If you think this really should work and you can reproduce it. Then you should consider to report this problem to the Trac team.

Go to http://trac.edgewall.com/ and create a new ticket where you describe the problem, how to reproduce it. Don't forget to include the python traceback found below.

TracGuide — The Trac User and Administration Guide
Python traceback

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/trac/core.py", line 531, in cgi_start
real_cgi_start()
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/trac/core.py", line 526, in real_cgi_start
dispatch_request(path_info, args, req, env)
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/trac/core.py", line 433, in dispatch_request
req.session = Session.Session(env, req, newsession)
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/trac/Session.py", line 51, in __init__
self.get_session(sid)
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/trac/Session.py", line 114, in get_session
self.update_sess_time()
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/trac/Session.py", line 99, in update_sess_time
self['last_visit'] = sess_time
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/trac/Session.py", line 59, in __setitem__
return self.set_var(key, val)
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/trac/Session.py", line 138, in set_var
self.purge_expired()
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/trac/Session.py", line 175, in purge_expired
" AND var_value < %i)", mintime)
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/sqlite/main.py", line 237, in execute
self.con._begin()
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/sqlite/main.py", line 503, in _begin
self.db.execute("BEGIN")
OperationalError: database is locked

geogecko
10-11-2006, 04:42 PM
#1236 & 1237

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=178327&postcount=1236

steingra
10-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Trying to download this plugin and view the instructions on the Wiki but I am getting the following error..

Oops...

database is locked

I have seen that happen a few times lately. I just try again in a little bit and its fine and I can download. Usually seems to happen later at night. Maybe backups are running or something on the server and thats causing interference.

cslatt
10-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Just wanted to say THANKS to Jreichen for the updates! :jump: The RSS feed for search results is exceptionally handy; I use it in place of keyword favorites since I often find that keyword favorites end up recording lots of stuff that I'm not looking for. This way the shows just pop up in my newsreader and if I want to record them I click on the show and hit record - otherwise, they just pass on by.

jreichen
10-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Just wanted to say THANKS to Jreichen for the updates! :jump: The RSS feed for search results is exceptionally handy; I use it in place of keyword favorites since I often find that keyword favorites end up recording lots of stuff that I'm not looking for. This way the shows just pop up in my newsreader and if I want to record them I click on the show and hit record - otherwise, they just pass on by.:thumb: Big thanks to nielm for the other RSS feeds and to you for the request. I also find it useful as another type of favorite. I have it set up for Modern Marvels so I don't miss new episodes, but I don't want to record all of them. And all the search options make it very flexible!

jreichen
10-12-2006, 10:44 PM
ToonGal: I'm glad you're enjoying the new version and thanks for the new ideas. I see some of your previous requests that didn't make it into 2.9 are in your list again;)

jbarr
10-24-2006, 07:56 AM
Feature Request: Can you add to the "Home" page an entry for the next upcoming recording? I love how that feature in neilm's custom menus plugin gives an at-a-glance indication of what's recording next.

Mahoney
10-26-2006, 03:34 AM
It's possible this has already been answered, but with 64 pages to browse through, forgive me if I ask it again!

I've just set this up, it's great and it was wonderfully easy to do. Got it running behind Apache using mod_proxy, as this allows me to use the SSL I've already set up for Apache and also means I don't have to put port numbers into the URL. I'll stick something up on the WIKI about doing that tonight, as it seems to me something others might want to do too.

However, I would also like to use Apache's mod_sspi to use my ActiveDirectory to control access. I've got this working already for other things I run behind Apache. If I enable it for the web server I get an IndexOutOfBoundsException. My guess is that the servlet is trying to do some match up between the HTTP authentication I've sent to Apache and the realms.properties file. Just wondering if there's a way to tell the sage webserver not to bother with authentication at all, and just let Apache handle it?

Not to worry if there isn't, I dare say I can have a look at the source and work something out myself.

nielm
10-26-2006, 06:07 AM
However, I would also like to use Apache's mod_sspi to use my ActiveDirectory to control access. I've got this working already for other things I run behind Apache. If I enable it for the web server I get an IndexOutOfBoundsException.Out of curiosity, whats the stack trace My guess is that the servlet is trying to do some match up between the HTTP authentication I've sent to Apache and the realms.properties file. Just wondering if there's a way to tell the sage webserver not to bother with authentication at all, and just let Apache handle it?just comment or remove the lines in realms.properties and restart!

Mahoney
10-26-2006, 07:00 AM
Thanks nielm, I'll give it a go and report back tonight. I'll let you know what the stack trace looks like, too.

danward79
10-26-2006, 12:44 PM
Neilm,

It would be good, if you could make an xml feed for the disk usage info on the home page available.

What do you think?

Cheers

Dan

Mahoney
10-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Commenting out that line made it work instantly, thanks very much.

All there was in the error log was this:
[Thu Oct 26 08:19:03 BST 2006] unexpected problem running servlet net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.HomeServlet: java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1

No stack trace.

akenis
10-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Something got messed up with my Sage Web....I recently installed the movies pluging...did that cause it? How to proceed....

Exception while processing servlet:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: net.sf.sageplugins.sageutils.SageApi.ApiUI(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)Ljava/lang/Object;
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: net.sf.sageplugins.sageutils.SageApi.ApiUI(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)Ljava/lang/Object;
at net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.HomeServlet.doServletGet(HomeServlet.java:151)
at net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.SageServlet.doGet(SageServlet.java:75)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:740)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
at Acme.Serve.ServeConnection.runServlet(Serve.java:1553)
at Acme.Serve.ServeConnection.parseRequest(Serve.java:1528)
at Acme.Serve.ServeConnection.run(Serve.java:1415)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Thanks....

nielm
10-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Something got messed up with my Sage Web....I recently installed the movies pluging...did that cause it? How to proceed....

try this

Jason
10-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Has anyone tried the latest neilm webserver with a Windows Mobile Pocket PC?

I just got my new Treo 700wx yesterday and have been playing with it while at work... (Don't tell the boss!) :blush: It's the only thing that I might be able to use as of late to watch anything... I seem to be living away from home!

In any case, there are some problems...

The 'detailedInfo' (...DetailedInfo?MediaFileId=4536979) links from within the SageRecordings menu do not show up...

I also tried out several other browsers (Opera, Minimo, Webby) and all had difficulties...

Opera was the 'best' at displaying the detailedinfo link but then would not 'detect' either Pocket Media Player or TCPMP... it simply said that I had no supported players.

As a side note, there is a VLC client for Windows Mobile, but it has not been updated since February of '06, and it has been dropped from being updated.

Right now, I am using Orb 2.0 to stream the files... With EVDO it does not even hiccup!

Do you have anywhere I can find out what level of JS that pocket IE supports?

Would this help?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/mobilesdk5/html/mob5oripocketinternetexploreroverview.asp

or this...

http://www.ppczone.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-22308.html

Take care,

Jason

Jason
10-28-2006, 08:08 PM
OK... still playing around with my 700wx...

I am using Netfront 3.3 which supports these specification:

Supports latest W3C specifications
http://nfppc.access.co.jp/english/images/line_g.gif
-HTML4.01, XHTML1.1, cHTML, XHTML Basic 1.0, WML1.3-CSS 1 & 2-ECMAScript 3rd Edition (JavaScript 1.5)-DOM1, 2 and Dynamic HTML-GIF, animated GIF, BMP, PNG, JPEG and MNG-HTTP1.1-SSL2.0/3.0,TLS1.0-Cookies

While NF supports JS 1.5(?) it appears that the webserver implements some calls that are not useable.

With Netfront being the 'most' javascript compatible browser for Windows Mobile 5, how difficult would it be to remove the offending code (or JS completely?) and go with a more HTML basic version? To make it more PIE useable, As a rule, use the specifications for JScript version 1.1 and the IE 3.02 DOM to make an application accessible to most Pocket PC users. Please note that VBScript is not supported by the browser, and JScript support in pIE has its share of quirks. For example, pIE cannot spawn multiple browser windows—it uses a single window only. Script errors are also turned off by default.

Here is a basic link that talks about NF and PIE and 'what they render:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=505

It is a shame that Microsoft decided to not have a more thorough JS built in to Pocket IE! They went with their own 'version'... JScript :bang: .

Just for reference, here is the 'Official' word on the scripting capabilities of PIE (Pocket Internet Explorer).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/guide_ppc/html/ppc_designing_web_sites_for_internet_explorer_for_pocket_pc_ywct.asp

I'm sorry if this may have been better posted in it's own post...

-Jason

nielm
10-29-2006, 01:48 AM
What doesn't show up on the detailed info?

I tried to get it to degrade gracefully if JS is not available, but as I had noting to test with...

For embedded playback, yes it only knows how to embed VLC/WMP/RealPlayer, but that code is pure HTML/JS, so if you want to have a play at getting it working, help yourself!

srothwell
11-02-2006, 01:47 PM
OK.... question of the day.....

I have been and want to continue using neil's web server for Sage.

However I want to also use IIS to set up a dynamic family web site with features that I cannot get in the java web server that is included with neil's web server.

Does anyone know of a way I can use IIS as the main port 80 coming in from the internet, but if the user requests xxx.com/sage that I could get IIS to forward to the sage server's IP address for Sage to resolve the rest?

Thanks!

Stacy

jlabrue
11-02-2006, 04:31 PM
OK.... question of the day.....

I have been and want to continue using neil's web server for Sage.

However I want to also use IIS to set up a dynamic family web site with features that I cannot get in the java web server that is included with neil's web server.

Does anyone know of a way I can use IIS as the main port 80 coming in from the internet, but if the user requests xxx.com/sage that I could get IIS to forward to the sage server's IP address for Sage to resolve the rest?

Thanks!

Stacy

You should be able to as long as Neil's web server uses a port other than 80. In IIS you would create a virtual directory.
Type in the alias you want ("sage")
Then give it a path. (this is not relevant since you will change it later)
Leave the permissions as "Read"
Finish
Right click on the Virtual Directory and get properties
On the Virtual Directory tab select "A redirection to a URL"
place the path to your sage webserver and include the port (http://sageserver:8888/sage/home)
To access it you will go to http://www.myserver.com/sage and it will redirect you to that website.

Need to make sure you have the Sage webserver port open on your firewall as well.

srothwell
11-02-2006, 04:33 PM
You should be able to as long as Neil's web server uses a port other than 80. In IIS you would create a virtual directory.
Type in the alias you want ("sage")
Then give it a path. (this is not relevant since you will change it later)
Leave the permissions as "Read"
Finish
Right click on the Virtual Directory and get properties
On the Virtual Directory tab select "A redirection to a URL"
place the path to your sage webserver and include the port (http://sageserver:8888/sage/home)
To access it you will go to http://www.myserver.com/sage and it will redirect you to that website.

Need to make sure you have the Sage webserver port open on your firewall as well.

Is there a way to do it if they're on the same port? They are on two different PCs. I was thinking if I just entered the regualr web site, it would go to the IIS server. If I put a different folder after it (xxx.com/sage) then it could be redirected. But maybe I'm showing I'm not that smart :-)

Thanks!

jreichen
11-02-2006, 08:36 PM
srothwell, just curious what is it that's missing from the web server?

You probably already saw Mahoney's post in #1270 about getting it working with Apache, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. It looks like he put something up on the wiki (http://www.sage-community.org/index.cgi/wiki/WebserverApache). That's pretty cool, Mahoney. I'll have to check it out.

jlabrue
11-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Is there a way to do it if they're on the same port? They are on two different PCs. I was thinking if I just entered the regualr web site, it would go to the IIS server. If I put a different folder after it (xxx.com/sage) then it could be redirected. But maybe I'm showing I'm not that smart :-)

Thanks!

The problem you run into is you can only forward a port to one internal address on a firewall (unless you have multiple external addresses) So if you were able to redirect it to another machine and you tried port 80 it would fail since the redirect would be to port 80 and....port 80 goes somewhere else. The external connection would never complete. You could do it internally since it doesn't have to traverse a firewall. If you use another port, you can forward that port to the other box and therefore your redirect will work.

You can't run them both on the same box listening to port 80 since that wouldn't work. And if you just redirect the virtual directory to the root of the sage webserver it would not work either since it needs (I assume) the built in webserver and its components to work.

If you wanted to get fancy and knew how, you could do an "include" that would wrap the Sage webserver into an html document served from the IIS box. That might give you what you need without a redirect.

Edit: If IIS is not required, I think you can add virtual directories to Neil's webserver to serve up web pages. Not 100% sure that is true but I think I remember instructions to do that for media files and such.

jlabrue
11-02-2006, 10:22 PM
If you are really against redirecting to another port you can look to find a utility to do a reverse proxy which will allow you to do what you are wanting to do. There is just not a native way to handle that in IIS without code or third party.

http://www.saltypickle.com/Home/16

jbarr
11-13-2006, 04:23 PM
I'd love to be able to enter a simple "note" (note, reminder, message, whatever) using the Web User Interface. It would then pop-up a remote-dismissable dialog box on the SageTV screen and display the message.

And make the note have a "time trigger" so that it could be set to pop-up at a desired time on a desired date.

mkanet
11-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Hey that's a pretty nifty feature! I'm glad I thought of it. Actually, I wish I thought of it first! ;)

I'd love to be able to enter a simple "note" (note, reminder, message, whatever) using the Web User Interface. It would then pop-up a remote-dismissable dialog box on the SageTV screen and display the message.

And make the note have a "time trigger" so that it could be set to pop-up at a desired time on a desired date.

Stuntman
11-14-2006, 04:38 PM
Since we are adding to our wish list for Santa..

I'd like to be able to shutdown my Media Extenders via the web client. There are times, such as when I install or update Sage, that I want them to load the new image and doing so remotely via a 'reboot' would be great..

"reboot MVP"
"turn off MVP"
"turn on MVP"

I don't know if that can be done via software, but it sure would be nice to be able to do that... even from the SageTV Server..

Thank you Santa..

FidgetyRat
11-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Hey guys, I did a reformat yesterday and started fresh with 6.0

I am getting an error when accessing the web server that says something like

error main_menu.js syntax

or something along those lines. The screen has no background and no images loading as well as no links

worked fine before I reformatted. Some issue with sage6 maybe?

doc
11-16-2006, 11:37 PM

and the popup mesage would probably say "get off your fat a**e and put the dinner on" :D

nielm
11-17-2006, 04:53 AM
Hey guys, I did a reformat yesterday and started fresh with 6.0

I am getting an error when accessing the web server ... The screen has no background and no images loading as well as no links

worked fine before I reformatted. Some issue with sage6 maybe?try a webserver reinstall, you may be missing some files. Webserver works fine with V6 notmally

FidgetyRat
11-17-2006, 08:01 AM
Since I knew that was the typical response, I tried reinstalling.. But for sanity sake I tried yet again today with a fresh download this time..

worked like a charm thanks! Good lesson. Reinstall from fresh downloads :)

Like the new changes btw.

Paul365
11-20-2006, 11:21 AM
The download site appears to be in error.

database is locked

http://www.sage-community.org/index.cgi/wiki/WebServer#null.zip

nm its fixed now.

toricred
11-26-2006, 06:23 PM
OK, I just installed this on my server. It's never been on the machine before, but it doesn't seem to running a web server. Any tricks to installing it? (I simply unzipped the files into the Sagetv\Sagetv folder and added the startup line to the sage.properties file. I restarted the service many times, but it doesn't want to work. I'm using JRE 1.4.11. Help!

geogecko
11-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Did you put your login information in the realms.properties file?

How are you testing to see if it works or not?

I use "http://htpc:80/sage/Home" while on the home LAN (htpc is the computer name in Windows, or you can use the actual IP address).

AngelofDeth
11-26-2006, 06:50 PM
He should still be getting a login prompt just using the defaults... Are you sure your firewall isn't blocking you if you are trying from a remote computer? You might also check the sage.properties to make sure it took. Although if you are sure you shutdown sage that shouldn't be an issue, though.

edit: Mine installed on port 8080.

toricred
11-26-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm trying on the local machine and it's still not working. I was expecting to at least get the login prompt with the defaults. I didn't see any reason to change the login info until I could see the web page. By the way, I'm using Sage 6.0.15.

geogecko
11-26-2006, 07:41 PM
Yes, mine did the same 8080 port thing as well, but I had to change mine to 8088 because 8080 was being used by something else on my router...

AngelofDeth
11-26-2006, 08:04 PM
I'm trying on the local machine and it's still not working. I was expecting to at least get the login prompt with the defaults. I didn't see any reason to change the login info until I could see the web page. By the way, I'm using Sage 6.0.15.

You are trying port 8080 right? Also, you might want to try using the IP address of your server (or 127.0.0.1) instead of its name.

toricred
11-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Yes, I've tried the loopback address and port 8080. Maybe I put the wrong line in sage.properties. Since I can't access the instructions because of the error, can somebody please tell me what the line should read in sage.properties?

Also, is it a problem that I'm only running the service on the server and not the GUI?

AngelofDeth
11-26-2006, 08:26 PM
No, I only run the service and it works fine. Here is the line you need. Make sure the service is shut down before adding it :

load_at_startup_runnable_classes=net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.StartServer

You might also check your SageTV/SageTV directory and make sure it extracted properly.

also, there is already a "load_at_startup_runnable_classes=" line in sage.properties by default, just add the "net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.StartServer
" onto the existing line.

toricred
11-26-2006, 08:45 PM
OK, I got it but I may have slightly damaged my properties file. The problem was that I missed a return after StartServer. I didn't figure it out until I'd deleted all of the line after it. I remember it was something like locator/enable\=true but that doesn't make sense does it?

AngelofDeth
11-26-2006, 08:55 PM
The next line I have is locator/enable_registration=true. I don't know if that would have been the line you messed up though.

toricred
11-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Thank you so much. That should be it since I don't have that line right now.

Jason
11-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Niel-

Been gone for awhile with the Holidays and all...

I just saw the 'announcement' for WebGuide4 (MCE Web Server...) and thought... "WOW!"

http://www.asciiexpress.com/webguide/WebGuide4/tabid/60/Default.aspx

Recalling some of my previous posts re: streaming to a PDA/WM5 phone (Treo 700wx), it appears they are doing it!

I know that you suggested re-writing some of the webpages to 'exclude' the Javascript calls to make the resulting page WM5 friendly. As opposed to doing that, would it be feasible/possible to remove the builtin check for a supported player -> Transcode the file via Sage -> and send the resulting file via a streaming url? This would allow the device to decide what to 'do' with the URL file.

Am I oversimplifying the acts involved?

-Jason

rickgillyon
11-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Just upgraded to the Java 1.6 release candidate, and it seems pretty stable but...my RSS feeds from the webserver have gone tits-up.

Seeing this in the log:
[Wed Nov 29 18:34:30 GMT 2006] /sagepublic/Rss: Exception while processing servlet net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.RssServlet
java.lang.AbstractMethodError: org.apache.xerces.dom.DocumentImpl.getXmlStandalone()Z
at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.DOM2TO.setDocumentInfo(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.DOM2TO.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.DOM2TO.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl.transformIdentity(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl.transform(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl.transform(Unknown Source)
at viecili.jrss.generator.RSSFeedGeneratorImpl.generateToResult(RSSFeedGeneratorImpl.java:73)
at viecili.jrss.generator.RSSFeedGeneratorImpl.generateToStream(RSSFeedGeneratorImpl.java:54)
at net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.RssServlet.ReturnFeed(RssServlet.java:198)
at net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.RssServlet.doServletGet(RssServlet.java:88)

Unrelated to webserver but related to its creator, do I still need to move xerces.jar and servlet.jar from the XMLTV plugin into my current Java lib/ext folder?

Thanks as ever nielm! :clap:

geogecko
11-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Which is worse, tits-up or tits-down?

mkanet
11-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Tits up or down dont seem to sound too bad to me ;)

rickgillyon
11-30-2006, 03:27 AM
I sometimes forget that in an international forum, daft Brit sayings might not always translate too well... :D

nielm
11-30-2006, 04:38 AM
Just upgraded to the Java 1.6 release candidate, and it seems pretty stable but...my RSS feeds from the webserver have gone tits-up.

Seeing this in the log:

Unrelated to webserver but related to its creator, do I still need to move xerces.jar and servlet.jar from the XMLTV plugin into my current Java lib/ext folder?

Thanks as ever nielm! :clap:the xerces.jar that the XMLTV plugin uses is incompatible with JRE 1.6: it breaks XML writing... (one of the many reasons that I am still on JRE 1.4!)

Which xmltv plugin are you using? If it is StephaneM's then you don't need xerces.jar (actually I have a horrible feeling that it is my XMLTV multi-lineup plugin that you are using... guess I will have to fix it!)

And no, you don't need to put any extra JARs in jre_x_y_z/lib/ext: you can happily put them in SageTV/JARS

PS: tits up (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tits+up), is definatly worse :)

geogecko
11-30-2006, 06:14 AM
PS: tits up, is definatly worse

LOL, wow, #3 on that one...

rickgillyon
11-30-2006, 06:43 AM
the xerces.jar that the XMLTV plugin uses is incompatible with JRE 1.6: it breaks XML writing...
(actually I have a horrible feeling that it is my XMLTV multi-lineup plugin that you are using... guess I will have to fix it!)
It is indeed your multi-lineup one, but I can't really see a problem with it so far. I updated Java 25/11, and my guide still runs to 12/12, so it must have updated successfully since then...

My main problem is RSS feeds not working, would you expect that too?

And no, you don't need to put any extra JARs in jre_x_y_z/lib/ext: you can happily put them in SageTV/JARS
Great, thanks! :thumb:

nielm
11-30-2006, 07:42 AM
My main problem is RSS feeds not working, would you expect that too?yep: as mentioned, this is because the XML (RSS is XML) writing in Java 1.6 is broken by adding the old xerces.jar. It will also break the webserver's XML output and my xml file info plugin.

XML reading by the plugin still works...

Guess its time to do a minor update of that plugin to use Java's build in XML reading instead of xerces.jar

tmiranda
11-30-2006, 07:55 AM
I sometimes forget that in an international forum, daft Brit sayings might not always translate too well...

The US military has adopted this saying and usually refers to it as "Going Tango Uniform". :D

rickgillyon
11-30-2006, 07:57 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood your first post...duh. :)
Yes, a 1.6-compliant update would be welcome, my system seems more stable on 1.6 so far (not so many spinning logos like with 1.4). XMLTV is more important to me than RSS (which is also very useful), so I'll leave the xerxes.jar there for now...

Thanks!

geogecko
12-07-2006, 01:07 PM
nielm

I've read through some of the posts about VLC, but still do not understand how to set it up. I'm using Firefox, with the Mozilla plug-in, but so far, that's all I've installed.

Does VLC need to be configured in any way to make it work with the Webserver streams?

All I get right now, when I try and view an MPG recording, is a blank space where the window would show up, and control buttons at the bottom.

Thanks.
Jason.

waynedunham
12-16-2006, 05:18 PM
I feel like such a doofus!! :)

I've had the Webserver up and running for a long time using it locally here from time to time to check on something on the Sage server without having to physically go over to the server machine. It's worked great like that for about a year.

Early in January I'm heading home for a belated Xmas with the family up in Maine (I live in CT now) since I'm working on Xmas.
I'm going to be gone for probably a couple weeks so I figured this would be a good time to set up the remote side of the Web UI so I can do any maintenance I need to do while I'm up in Maine.

So I read through everything I can find on the Wiki and here in this thread about getting it up and running. I head over to dyndns and set up an account there, make sure the proper ports are open on the Sage server. I try to get in and get a server not found error. Come to find out I hadn't waited long enough for dyndns to get the account up. :rolleyes:

Not knowing that yet I remembered that I needed to port forward 8080 on my router to the Sage servers internal ip, so I went ahead and did that.

After waiting a bit I could get to the server and get the username/password prompt. I kept entering the uname/pword and it kept spitting them out and putting the prompt up again.
So after more testing from the troubleshooting wiki and other messages here, alternating between FireFox and IE, and MUCH swearing, I tried logging in locally via IE where I didn't have the local uname/pword saved and I was getting the same error. Strange I thought, so back over to the server I went and pulled up realms.properties and noticed that I had capitalized the first letter of the uname in realms. DOOOOOOOHHHH!!! :bang: :blush:
I probably wasted almost an hour because of that stupid capital letter! Stored passwords are great...... right up until the time you need the password/uname and are accessing in a manner where the password manager doesn't plug it in for you. :o

Now if only my Mom had a high speed connection I'd have a reason to screw up a placeshifter installation. :nono:

Anyway, thanks to Nielm and everyone else for such a great tool!! :goodjob: It's just too bad my brain is becoming useless in my advancing age. :thumbdown

rickgillyon
12-16-2006, 06:46 PM
A bit OT but I'm sure Wayne can relate... :)

Just today I had a job to put in a wireless network. Should have taken 30 mins, got there, printed out their connection settings, installed the ADSL router. 2 hours later and after quizzing the resident several times, still no connect. Two routers, several cables, hundreds of settings. His wife comes in just as I say to him "are you sure you haven't changed the password?" She says, "Didn't we change it to xxxxxx a couple of months ago?" Up and running in 5 minutes...

Some days I bl**dy hate this industry, but it's never the computers that annoy me... ;)

ToonGal
12-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Hi Nielm,

Think there might be a bug. Hopefully it is a bug, actually, instead of some corruption on my side. On the "Recording Schedule" menu, I have some Java errors. Through Dec 30, it has the schedule, and after that, it has:
java.lang.NumberFormatException: invalid Object
at net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.Airing.(Airing.java:132)
at net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.RecordingScheduleServlet.doServletGet(RecordingScheduleServlet.java:151)

Don't know if it is an EOY (end of year) bug, but don't think so. Looking at upcoming recording schedule in SageTV, it DOES show two 12/31 midnight recordings. Don't know if you use epg_schedule.log, but it too has 12/31 information (through 7:30AM).

Still running SageTV v5, default STV, latest webserver, etc. If there is any other information that would help you debug, let me know, and I'll post it.

If possible, could we throw in some of the more minor additions I suggested as a holiday gift, in your newly released xmas version, while you're at it? ;)

As always, thanks for the help! :)

Happy new year, hun!

--TG

nielm
12-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Hi Nielm,

Think there might be a bug. Hopefully it is a bug, actually, instead of some corruption on my side. On the "Recording Schedule" menu, I have some Java errors. Through Dec 30, it has the schedule, and after that, it has:
[CODE]Exception while processing servlet:
at net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.Airing.(Airing.java:132)
at net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.RecordingScheduleServlet.doServletGet(RecordingScheduleServlet.java:151)

Thats really wierd: I am getting the list of scheduled Airings from Sage, then displaying them, except that one of then is not an Airing!
I cannot see anything in the webserver code that is going wrong: Do you also get odd behavour looking at the scheduled recordings in Sage?
If possible, could we throw in some of the more minor additions I suggested as a holiday gift, in your newly released xmas version, while you're at it? ;)I do need to release a version with a whole load of bugfixes that jreichen has delivered (had not had time to do anything myself!)

ToonGal
12-21-2006, 04:27 PM
I cannot see anything in the webserver code that is going wrong: Do you also get odd behavour looking at the scheduled recordings in Sage?
I do need to release a version with a whole load of bugfixes that jreichen has delivered (had not had time to do anything myself!)I looked inside of SageTV and everything was fine.

However, the webserver works fine now. I made sure I double checked everything when I was on this morning. After really racking my brain for an answer, I think I have a possibility. My EPG update seems to have run around the same time that I had the problem this morning. I'm guessing it was incomplete / corrupt data when I checked the web server multiple times, but was complete / finished data when I checked it in SageTV.

No clue what happened, but wanted you to know the most info I could provide. All well now tho.

As for bugfixes from jreichen, yay! I love xmas gifts. ;) Can't wait to see the list of what's done.

Thanks as always for the quick response, Nielm. Sorry for the lack of current issue, but I hope the info is of use to you.

nielm
12-22-2006, 05:46 PM
V2.11 Dec 22 2006 -- For Sage versions 2.2-6.0
Jreichen's changes:
BUGFIXES:
Webserver: An extra directory named 'webserver\log' was created on Linux. Log file names were 'log\AWS*'.
Fixed them by using / as separator character on Linux.
Detailed Info: Workaround for NegativeArraySizeException thrown by HasAlbumArt.
It still prints an exception to the console, but not to the web page.
Detailed Info: Exact Title was not being used for Additional Airings
Favorites: Fix Firefox tooltips.
Favorites: Add padding tooltip.

ENHANCEMENTS:
EPG guides: Add episode id to guides
Favorites: Show 'Default' in Favorites Manager for favorites with default recording quality.
Search: Add Search by Filename

nielm's changes:
ENHANCEMENTS:
MediaFileDownload: Estimate total size for currently recording streaming files, allows playing while recording and seeking

Stuntman
12-22-2006, 06:02 PM
This plugin just gets better and better! Thank you!!!! I just had an idea I had meant to post as a 'suggestion' a long time ago.. let me know what you think..

When viewing the webpage it is great to see what is playing on which device.. I like to know if somebody is using the system if I intend to work on it remotely so that I don't kick anybody off... BUT... sometimes a show is on and ends (Kids cartoons) and they neglect to turn it off at the end of the show or to 'stop' it... so the webpage shows that the show is still being viewed.. would it be possible to show when the show was launched.. a "Watching since" or some such thing? I don't know that there is any way to determine if the show is actively being watched, perhaps no way to know when it was first started.. but it would be cool if we could see the state the show is in.. 'paused', 'stopped', 'playing'.. etc...

popechild
12-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Sorry, I know this is bad form to ask a question that may have been answered in the thread already, but I've been running v2.8 for months now and have never seen a reason to upgrade and have never had a problem with it, so I quit keeping up with the thread a while back...

Anyway, if somebody doesn't mind throwing me a bone here, is it possible to download a recording/or other media file directly to disk *without* streaming it? Basically, my upload speed on my DSL isn't fast enough to stream my HD recordings, so occasionally I'd like to be able to just download a show when I'm away from home, even though it'll take longer than real time to download. I can't figure out if there's a way to do this.

A probably related question is what's the difference between "watch (streamed)" and "watch (local file)"? The "local file" option *sounds* like it might do what I want, but it always seems the exact same to me - namely, it plays it directly in my browser instead of giving me an option to save it locally to disk.

Is there a way to do what I'm looking to do?
Thanks!!

peterras
12-31-2006, 06:56 AM
Hi

It is a new installation on Windows 2000, with

Java 1.5.0.05
SageTV 6.0.18
WebServer 2.11

I can see the windows, but when I press "XML" and press "Save" ie comes up with a error.

What am I missing?

Yours hopefully

gplasky
12-31-2006, 07:22 AM
Hi

It is a new installation on Windows 2000, with

Java 1.5.0.05
SageTV 6.0.18
WebServer 2.11

I can see the windows, but when I press "XML" and press "Save" ie comes up with a error.

What am I missing?

Yours hopefully
What error? Maybe you need MSXML installed from Microsoft? You're missing a core install and it's doesn't have anything to do with the 3 programs you've listed. More inof would be more helpful. Sage 6 is released and at 6.0.19.

Anyways-for better support from drivers and such I would consider upgrading to Windows XP. You're going to start to run into trouble getting Windows 2000 drivers for various pieces of hardware/software and such. My 2 cents.

Gerry

pkadare
01-03-2007, 03:53 AM
Is there any other location besides the Wiki where this can be downloaded from? I've been trying for a while now but I keep getting an error about the database being locked when I try to get to the download page.

jreichen
01-03-2007, 07:22 AM
Is there any other location besides the Wiki where this can be downloaded from? I've been trying for a while now but I keep getting an error about the database being locked when I try to get to the download page.You can download it from SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sageplugins

pkadare
01-03-2007, 07:36 AM
You can download it from SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sageplugins

Thanks! Now another question, any place to get the documentation until the Wiki is working again?

jreichen
01-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks! Now another question, any place to get the documentation until the Wiki is working again?I don't know of anywhere else. Basically just extract the zip file to the SageTV install directory. Make sure you preserve the folder structure. Then edit Sage.properties or SageClient.properties and set the following:load_at_startup_runnable_classes=net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.StartServerIf there is already something to the right of the equals sign, separate the items with a semicolon. You can change the password in <SageTV install dir>\webserver\realms.properties. Make sure Sage is not running when doing these steps.

There is a lot more info on the wiki so keep checking it until it's back up.

geogecko
01-03-2007, 08:37 AM
The port setting is also in the properties file, if you need to change that. It should be available once you restart Sage, after making the changes listed above. Of course, you'll have to get back out of Sage, if you need to change it.

lotusvball
01-04-2007, 04:48 PM
http://www.sage-community.org/index.cgi/wiki/WebServer#null.zip

The instruction and customization links don't work on this site anymore. Are they someplace else?

edit: must have just been down briefly. Working now.

Motofreak75
01-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Thank you so much for give us ( and me) the choice to add/edit entrys in the database. I have just imported all of my movies back into the DB again, typing was a bit of a bitch but hey, it works and I"m thankful for you adding this into your lastest web server.

(hint) this should have been one of the new features in Ver6! over other useless features that was added.

Moto'freak

jreichen
01-04-2007, 07:24 PM
It's up again. There seems to be ongoing issues with the site. I posted a message for Tom over here (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20165).

nielm
01-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Anyway, if somebody doesn't mind throwing me a bone here, is it possible to download a recording/or other media file directly to disk *without* streaming it?Click on the file name in the detailed info page for a recording (or right click and Save Target As)

A probably related question is what's the difference between "watch (streamed)" and "watch (local file)"? The first tells the player to read the file via HTTP. Only certain players can do this for certain file types

The second tells the player to read the file from the disk path directly (and will only work on a LAN if you are using UNC paths and have appropriate shares). Most players can do this.

popechild
01-16-2007, 01:37 AM
Click on the file name in the detailed info page for a recording (or right click and Save Target As)

The first tells the player to read the file via HTTP. Only certain players can do this for certain file types

The second tells the player to read the file from the disk path directly (and will only work on a LAN if you are using UNC paths and have appropriate shares). Most players can do this.
Beautiful! Thank you - and perfect timing for me to see this response as I'm leaving town for 2 weeks tomorrow and am having trouble getting the auto-conversions in SageMC working correctly...

UFGrayMatter
01-17-2007, 06:46 PM
hey nielm - thanks for all the work getting wget working for me. I have a pretty solid working "sage client" working through meedio. I can view my recordings using meeTVshows module - which is pretty slick. I can then delete, archive, set watched and set don't like now. More tricks coming.

I have a question of course. I don't know html coding or xml coding, but I see that a lot of your pages have xml outputs, which I will use to add more functionality to my meedio plugin.

One HUGE thing that I need is EPG data. What kind of work on your part would that take to add XML output of EPG data?

I could easily use xmltv to grab the EPG for meedio, but it doesn't have the AiringID that I need to send commands through the web browser.

Do you have any tips/tricks?

thanks,

Ryan

UFGrayMatter
01-18-2007, 12:02 AM
as another aside...is there any talk of webserver sending commands of the file conversions - i.e convert to ipod, convert to psp?

Ryan

nielm
01-18-2007, 12:28 PM
One HUGE thing that I need is EPG data. What kind of work on your part would that take to add XML output of EPG data?Zero: It's already there as XML output of search results...

You would either have to write something in meedio that understands my format, or transform it into xmltv.

bobtom
01-18-2007, 04:41 PM
nielm I just want to say thankyou for the awesome plug-in. Sage should pay you some money because you are the reason I chose it for my DVR. I know this is going to get lost in the flood (67 pages atm) but for all you who have sageTV download this now. It makes SageTV a complete package. Thanks again.

geogecko
01-18-2007, 06:08 PM
nielm I just want to say thankyou for the awesome plug-in. Sage should pay you some money because you are the reason I chose it for my DVR. I know this is going to get lost in the flood (67 pages atm) but for all you who have sageTV download this now. It makes SageTV a complete package. Thanks again.

+1 :D

UFGrayMatter
01-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Zero: It's already there as XML output of search results...

You would either have to write something in meedio that understands my format, or transform it into xmltv.
Thanks great - how might I grab this XML? - using wget?

I'll look around for xmltv info - but just incase -do you have a link handy on what I need to do this.

Thanks again,
Ryan

keltic88
01-22-2007, 07:03 AM
When trying to download...

Oops...
database is locked

Thanks,
Red

geogecko
01-22-2007, 08:31 AM
When trying to download...

Oops...
database is locked

Thanks,
Red

It appears something strange is going on with the file at sourceforge.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=108108&package_id=153357&release_id=473365

It tells me the file cannot be read. If it's not fixed by this evening, I'll host a link for it.

joe123
01-22-2007, 01:24 PM
I recently had problems with a disk drive and by the time I pulled the bad drive out and extracted the recordings to the new drive and installed it, about 30 of my 100 videos ended up as Imported videos while the rest ended up in my SageTV menu.

Using the WebServer, I am able to see that the Imported videos ID's do not match the file name ID's. Is there a way to correct this using this information so that my recordings will show up back into the SageTV menu as before instead of as imported recordings?

If yes, can someone please explain what exactly do I need to do?

Original issue posted here: Imported Videos Back to SageTV Menu?

geogecko
01-22-2007, 09:13 PM
It appears something strange is going on with the file at sourceforge.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=108108&package_id=153357&release_id=473365

It tells me the file cannot be read. If it's not fixed by this evening, I'll host a link for it.

webserver_2_11.zip (http://www.thebentzhome.com/download/sage/webserver_2_11.zip)

Here you go. :)

Ted@TNT
01-25-2007, 04:16 PM
I don't know of anywhere else. Basically just extract the zip file to the SageTV install directory. Make sure you preserve the folder structure. Then edit Sage.properties or SageClient.properties and set the following:load_at_startup_runnable_classes=net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.StartServerIf there is already something to the right of the equals sign, separate the items with a semicolon. You can change the password in <SageTV install dir>\webserver\realms.properties. Make sure Sage is not running when doing these steps.

There is a lot more info on the wiki so keep checking it until it's back up.

I've followed these instructions, then tried to go to Http://192.168.1.xxx (SageTV's IP Address) - but it just times out. I also tried with the firewall off - am I missing something?

geogecko
01-25-2007, 04:50 PM
I've followed these instructions, then tried to go to Http://192.168.1.xxx (SageTV's IP Address) - but it just times out. I also tried with the firewall off - am I missing something?

Your port, and the menu.

http://192.168.1.xxx:8080/sage/Home

You can also use the computer name, if it has one.

http://HTPC:8080/sage/Home

The port, I believe, is in the properties file. I had to change mine from the default, since something was on 8080.

technazz
01-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Is there a way I can edit the RSS feed output? Im monitoring the RSS feed for Upcoming recording in SageMC and the lines are too long. I think I can reduce the amount of date by removing some of the data.

For instance I can remove Sage TV is recording and also the Year from the RSS feed and it wouldnt bother me.

Thx

Technazz

hfsoares
01-31-2007, 01:52 PM
First,

Thank you for these awesome plugin. It has solved so many problems that I should be thanking for a whole day... well...

I would like to give one suggestion:

I have a lot of favorites in my schedule. Its kind of hard when I want to record a specific movie to see if it conflicts with another series. I could use the same favorite option to record the movie, but this is a little bit ugly.

My idea is to show an icon on the epg's screen if the show is in a time window already covered by another record. And when I enter the details window, it would show all conflicts...

Anyway, Thx

geogecko
01-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Why not just look at the Conflicts Menu item?

If you are using an RSS feed reader (RSS Bandit), I have a feed setup to watch that particular page, and if anything ever shows up in there, I get a new feed item.

nielm
02-01-2007, 02:28 AM
Is there a way I can edit the RSS feed output?not without editing the code...
Im monitoring the RSS feed for Upcoming recording in SageMC and the lines are too long. I think I can reduce the amount of date by removing some of the data.

For instance I can remove Sage TV is recording and also the Year from the RSS feed and it wouldnt bother me.
firstly, hasn't SageMC got it's own Upcoming recordings list?

Secondly, the RSS feed title only contains the title/episode/date/channel. I don't know where you are getting 'Sage TV is recording' from

eg:

<item>
<title>"Stargate SG-1 - Flesh and Blood" at 04-Feb-2007 18:15 on 21-KANAALTWEE</title>
<link>http://xxxxx/sage/DetailedInfo?AiringId=2722625</link>
<description>(blah blah blah) (Category: Sci-Fi)</description>
<guid>http://xxxxx/sage/DetailedInfo?AiringId=2722625</guid>
<pubDate>Sun, 4 Feb 2007 18:15:00 CET</pubDate>
</item>

nielm
02-01-2007, 02:31 AM
I have a lot of favorites in my schedule. Its kind of hard when I want to record a specific movie to see if it conflicts with another series.It is even harder for the webserver to figure this out itself, if you take into account repeats, shuffling the recordings assigned to each tuner etc. The webserver has no access to sage's internal conflict resolution system other than to display the existing conlficts.

The only thing you can do is set a recording, and resolve the conflicts later

hfsoares
02-01-2007, 03:31 PM
I wasn't thinking in something so good, as to predict if it will have a conflict after setting the record.

I was thinking if it is possible just to show if it has already something scheduled on that time window. So this way we just have to know what is scheduled to record on one time frame...

[\s Humberto

technazz
02-01-2007, 07:42 PM
not without editing the code...
firstly, hasn't SageMC got it's own Upcoming recordings list?

Secondly, the RSS feed title only contains the title/episode/date/channel. I don't know where you are getting 'Sage TV is recording' from

eg:

<item>
<title>"Stargate SG-1 - Flesh and Blood" at 04-Feb-2007 18:15 on 21-KANAALTWEE</title>
<link>http://xxxxx/sage/DetailedInfo?AiringId=2722625</link>
<description>(blah blah blah) (Category: Sci-Fi)</description>
<guid>http://xxxxx/sage/DetailedInfo?AiringId=2722625</guid>
<pubDate>Sun, 4 Feb 2007 18:15:00 CET</pubDate>
</item>

Actually it says "SageTv Recording Schedule" (title of the Rss feed), I think SageMC Rss feed inserts it. Ill post in the SageMC Thread.

Thanks

Technazz

garyellis
02-03-2007, 06:47 PM
I installed the plugin today and am very impressed...

worked first time right out of the "box"...

I tried looking back at posts for answers to a few questions, but with 68 pages, its hard to find specific answers...

2 issues...

1) DVD stucture does not come through...The application opens and says "playing", but no video or audio and the timeline is not moving forward.

2) when I "stop" an imported video and then start another, many times I will get an Internet explorer error. Something like "Internet Explorer has encountered an error and must close"....Any help with this? Especially if I change file types, i.e., mpg to vob... so far only "stream" works for me.

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions and I'll try to find answer first...

Thanks..and great plug in..

Gary Ellis

Neo
02-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Hi

Thanks Nielm for this excellent plugin, can't leave home without it :thumb:

I've noticed a small bug, which seems to be related to the webserver.

If I add or alter a favourite via the webserver, and set the quality to "Default", in my case 3.0GB/h, the actual quality set for this fav is 2.0GB/h. It can't be seen until the recording is made. According to the webserver (I'm using 2.11), it's still set to "default". In Sage interface (using 6.0.19) fav details, though, it will show no quality setting at all. I.e, non of the options have a green light. If I correct it there and set it to default, it seems to be ok. A fav created in sage directly will get the correct quality setting.

nielm
02-05-2007, 06:48 AM
1) DVD stucture does not come through...The application opens and says "playing", but no video or audio and the timeline is not moving forward.

2) when I "stop" an imported video and then start another, many times I will get an Internet explorer error. Something like "Internet Explorer has encountered an error and must close"....Any help with this? Especially if I change file types, i.e., mpg to vob... so far only "stream" works for me.I guess you are using the embedded player. I am not surprised that DVDs do not work, and I don't know how I could make them work in an embedded player.

As for the second one, which embedded player are you using? It looks like a bug in the embedded player is crashing IE: check you have the latest version, and remember that VLC is very Beta!

Neo: Thanks I will look into that...

garyellis
02-05-2007, 12:09 PM
I think I am using VLC...the crashes with IE have gotten less and it seems to be working better..

As for the DVD, I click on view in external player, but it brings up Media Player which does the same thing...Some how I need to switch the default player that opens when I say external.

Another interesting thing..I noticed when I played an HD recorded video, the video would play for 10 seconds and stop..I would press pause and then play and it would start for another 10 seconds...(I'm sure bandwidth or players or something)

one other question... when I go to imported media...I would love the imported "results" to show like they do in Sage..with a "directory" structure.

I see the directory structure in the Sage recorded tab. But, the imported tab shows a complete listing of all media that meets the criteria.

Great plugin..

Thanks..

Gary Ellsi

dhenning23
02-07-2007, 08:05 PM
First off, want to say thanks for the great plugin! I use it all the time.

I made a few visual changes for my own personal preference that I wanted to share. I wanted to see more listings on the screen at a time, and I prefer to have the folder icon on the left side. I also changed the lines around the recordings listings.

The changes that I made are only to the images, css, and .js files so you can apply it without restarting Sage. Just copy the files to the "c:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\webserver\webroot\sage" folder. You may want to make a backup of the files before overwriting them in case you don't like it.

The images I copied from other plugins and I made some small changes, so the credit goes to others for them. I've included a screenshot below.

-Doug

EDIT: The images are fine in Firefox, but the transparency doesn't show up correctly in IE.

garyellis
02-08-2007, 06:41 AM
Can I get a "folders" view for the imported files using the webserver?

In other words...I have all of my video, music and pictures in a directory structure and would like to see the "results" of the search in a folders structure rather than a long list.

Thanks, Great plugin...

Gary Ellis

ozfiles
02-10-2007, 02:20 AM
Using opera mini I navigate to, http://webserver:8080/sage/menu.html.
A pop-up comes up in the opera mini browser saying, JavaScript Alert
Error in menu_items.js--check syntax.

I have to put in my user name and password a couple of times before, I actually reach the sage menu page above.
When I scroll to a menu item such as, EPG List View I have to input my login details again before it will open the page in the browser.

UFGrayMatter
02-13-2007, 11:27 AM
deleted :)

Mysticeti
02-13-2007, 09:51 PM
At the risk of making an already long thread already longer: Thanks man!

This web server rocks.

And I really appreciate that backwards compatibility is being maintained with V2.2.

Cheers! :goodjob:

Jason
02-15-2007, 08:16 PM
mkanet][/B]
Any chance we can request to NOT include any video streaming code and just offer it as an addon? I am already using www.ORB.com's superior & free TV show streaming service.

you don't have to use it :) and it will not interfere with ORB (it will be HTTP based streaming)

Following the ORB Forums, they recently posted some preliminary API's for ver 2...

http://forums.orb.com/viewforum.php?f=29

If we follow the Sage WIKI...

For customisation for other players/platforms/browsers, the player*.html files may need to be modified:
The /sage/player.html performs browser and plugin detection, and then forwards the browser to a specific page for playback depending on the file type/browser/platform.

we should be able to have the webserver re-direct the resulting page to a pda/smartphone friendly page... right?

Taking that a step further, we should be able to have that pda friendly page 'autoserve' an .asx stream using ORB via their 'Stream'

https://mycast.orb.com/orb/xml/stream?mediumId=OWbbLHEe&streamFormat=asx (https://mycast.orb.com/orb/xml/stream?mediumId=OWbbLHEe&streamFormat=asx)
or
https://mycast.orb.com/orb/data/stream.asx?mediumId=OWbbLHEe (https://mycast.orb.com/orb/data/stream.asx?mediumId=OWbbLHEe)

My question is (and sorry for the long post/hijack...)...

How can I find the ORB mediumID of the file I wish to stream? The API doc does not clearly state this...

Anybody?

-Jason

cslatt
02-16-2007, 01:34 PM
How can I find the ORB mediumID of the file I wish to stream? The API doc does not clearly state this...

Anybody?

-Jason

From a quick glance at the API document, it looks like you can pull it back using the search function, searching on path.filename

This should return an xml result that has a list of item nodes with an attribute for mediumId. In theory if you search on an exact file name you should only get back a single result.

Berg
02-18-2007, 12:52 PM
I have started playing with RSS feeds with the web interface, and it occurred to me that it could be fun to have an RSS feed I could display as part of the SageMC interface that would display the premiere shows that I can view using the SageMC interface.

That way I could have the next couple of days of premiere scroll on the SageMC screen as an RSS feed and add a show that I might find interesting.

I don't think this is possible today. Is it ?

Would this be possible ?

Thanks in advance ! This is a great "plug-in".

Berg
02-21-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm so lonely ... so very lonely ...

I was hoping to hear somebody chiming in on this ... anyone ?!

Jason
02-25-2007, 09:28 AM
From a quick glance at the API document, it looks like you can pull it back using the search function, searching on path.filename

This should return an xml result that has a list of item nodes with an attribute for mediumId. In theory if you search on an exact file name you should only get back a single result.

Exactly right!

<A href="http://mycast.orb.com/orb/data/stream.asx?q=path.filename="BattlestarGalactica-Rapture-4960918-0.mpg">http://mycast.orb.com/orb/data/stream.asx?q=path.filename="BattlestarGalactica-Rapture-4960918-0.mpg"

This will stream the file, based on a filename query... Yohan from Orb said basically the same as you... unfortunately it is not working for me.

If this can ever work, then a simple link from within the WebServer will utilize Orb as the streaming server...

-Jason

Tomahawk51
02-27-2007, 06:50 AM
FYI: I went to grab the download (haven't updated in a while), but the link looks broken.

jhh
02-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Hi,

Is it possible to have the 2.8 version of the webserver on port 8080 on a machine running sagetv service and the latest version on port 8081 on a sagetv client running on the same machine?

I've done some tests and it looks sort of ok but then at a certain point it seemed to be broken as I got version 2.11 on both ports in my browser.

I have the webserver folder copied to webserver_old and have updated sagetv.properties to reflect this. Sagetvclient.properties refers to webserver so they are more or less split - however there is no reference to the JAR folder in the properties file so that could screw it up...

Why: Xbox media center works nicely with version 2.8 while for normal webbrowsing I would like to have the latest and greatest (until I figure out how XBMC plays nicely with a newer version but that is currently a time and knowledge challenge).

Jan

geogecko
02-27-2007, 03:38 PM
FYI: I went to grab the download (haven't updated in a while), but the link looks broken.

webserver_2_11.zip (http://www.thebentzhome.com/download/sage/webserver_2_11.zip)

Jason
02-28-2007, 10:09 AM
For those who use the server via mobile phones, the formatting can be 'stripped' down to save bandwidth and time with google...

Simply prepend the following to the beginning of your access url...

http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=

-Jason

geogecko
02-28-2007, 11:19 AM
For those who use the server via mobile phones, the formatting can be 'stripped' down to save bandwidth and time with google...

Simply prepend the following to the beginning of your access url...

http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=

-Jason

Strange, Authentication fails for me every time...at least, trying it here on Firefox...

I've always just used the other URL for mobile use, something like /menu.html or something, instead of the /Home.

nielm
02-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Is it possible to have the 2.8 version of the webserver on port 8080 on a machine running sagetv service and the latest version on port 8081 on a sagetv client running on the same machine?Maybe, but probably not... The only way this might work is if you had 2 separate Sage installations in their own directories (so that each could have their own JAR)... but I don't know how well this would work with the service...

emok
02-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Niel-

Been gone for awhile with the Holidays and all...

I just saw the 'announcement' for WebGuide4 (MCE Web Server...) and thought... "WOW!"

http://www.asciiexpress.com/webguide/WebGuide4/tabid/60/Default.aspx

Recalling some of my previous posts re: streaming to a PDA/WM5 phone (Treo 700wx), it appears they are doing it!

I know that you suggested re-writing some of the webpages to 'exclude' the Javascript calls to make the resulting page WM5 friendly. As opposed to doing that, would it be feasible/possible to remove the builtin check for a supported player -> Transcode the file via Sage -> and send the resulting file via a streaming url? This would allow the device to decide what to 'do' with the URL file.

Am I oversimplifying the acts involved?

-Jason

I didn't see a reply to this and was wondering if there were any thoughts regarding this. I, too, saw the webguide on my friend's MCE machine and thought it was a nice interface. The great part was that it would allow streaming of a realtime transcoded clip with a simple URL click. I haven't looked into how they're doing it, but they're probably using some WMEncoder script and integrating with IIS somehow.

I would have thought this subject would be brought up more often (seems like a sought after feature), but possibly shot down for some reason or another (would it cannibalize placeshifter?). Just wondering if there was any research into this and why/why not there hasn't been any more chatter about it.

Thanks,
E

GREAT PLUGIN, BTW! Though the above feature would make it much more useful for me.

Jason
02-28-2007, 02:47 PM
I didn't see a reply to this and was wondering if there were any thoughts regarding this. I, too, saw the webguide on my friend's MCE machine and thought it was a nice interface. The great part was that it would allow streaming of a realtime transcoded clip with a simple URL click. I haven't looked into how they're doing it, but they're probably using some WMEncoder script and integrating with IIS somehow.

I would have thought this subject would be brought up more often (seems like a sought after feature), but possibly shot down for some reason or another (would it cannibalize placeshifter?). Just wondering if there was any research into this and why/why not there hasn't been any more chatter about it.

Thanks,
E

GREAT PLUGIN, BTW! Though the above feature would make it much more useful for me.

I'm 'putzing' around with Orb to get the transcoding done...

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=209661&postcount=1369

This would allow transcoding on the fly (ala WebGuide)...

-Jason

jimmyb
03-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Neil

Been awhile since I posted. Since Sage has been working fine I have had no need to tweak .. until now :)

In updating some of my touchscreen pages, I was looking to add the Rss feeds to some webpages. If I put in the info: http://192.168.1.125:8080/sagepublic/Rss/RecordingSchedule?xml=rss
into the sage (not related to Sagetv) Firefox addon I get the Rss feed with no problem.

If I paste the same info into this java script builder:
http://feed2js.org/index.php?s=build
I get nothing.

I serarched this thread (including my old one on the same issues) and found no answers.

Any ideas oh great one?

cslatt
03-01-2007, 09:04 AM
...If I put in the info: http://192.168.1.125:8080/sagepublic/Rss/RecordingSchedule?xml=rss
into the sage (not related to Sagetv) Firefox addon I get the Rss feed with no problem.

If I paste the same info into this java script builder:
http://feed2js.org/index.php?s=build
I get nothing.

192.168.1.125 is a private IP address that is only accessible from inside your home network. Your browser would be able to access it (since it is running on a computer inside your home network), but a website on the internet (like feed2js) would not. If you want to use the feed outside your local network, you'll need to figure out your external IP address and make sure the appropriate ports are mapped to your Sage machine on your router.

nielm
03-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Jason/emok:

I looked into trascoding a while back (a couple of months before the Placeshifter was released).
I was looking into dynamically transcoding the mpg into low bandwidth FLV video (like Google/YouTube) using ffmpeg and serving that over HTTP into a Flash video player.

Hit a few problems, got distracted and never came back to it as the placeshifter already existed by then...

motobarsteward
03-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Jason/emok:

I looked into trascoding a while back (a couple of months before the Placeshifter was released).
I was looking into dynamically transcoding the mpg into low bandwidth FLV video (like Google/YouTube) using ffmpeg and serving that over HTTP into a Flash video player.

Hit a few problems, got distracted and never came back to it as the placeshifter already existed by then...

...But not for mobile.... ;->

motobarsteward
03-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Oh, and by the way, Is it just me?

The WiKi always come back with the 'database is locked' message. What actually causes this? It's a bit annoying!

nielm
03-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Wiki is broken. you used to be able to get in if you refresh a few times, but now I cannot even get in to transfer the content to another site :(

I have mailed the admin, but no response yet.

jimmyb
03-01-2007, 12:45 PM
192.168.1.125 is a private IP address that is only accessible from inside your home network. Your browser would be able to access it (since it is running on a computer inside your home network), but a website on the internet (like feed2js) would not. If you want to use the feed outside your local network, you'll need to figure out your external IP address and make sure the appropriate ports are mapped to your Sage machine on your router.

I know that, I do infact wish to access the webserver WITHIN my lan.

cslatt
03-01-2007, 12:54 PM
I know that, I do infact wish to access the webserver WITHIN my lan.

OK, I'm just saying that while you may be located inside your lan, the feed2js site is not. I went to the feed2js page and when I pasted my SageTVs RSS feed in using the local IP I got and error message and when I pasted it in using my external IP it worked like a charm. YMMV

jimmyb
03-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Hmmm .. sorry for the misunderstanding .. I see what you mean. Will try coming from "outside".

EDIT: Still does not make sense. If it works in a Firefox browser with 192 address, why not this script? Also it used to work using the feed2js script.

Jason
03-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Hmmm .. sorry for the misunderstanding .. I see what you mean. Will try coming from "outside".

EDIT: Still does not make sense. If it works in a Firefox browser with 192 address, why not this script? Also it used to work using the feed2js script.

You are using a 'private' ip number in your example... How are you coming in the 'outside' as you mentioned...

In more detail, what is your public IP rather than your private IP... I, too, have a lan address (private) that starts with 192.168.x.x, but that is not my public ip...

To make things easier for you, try going to dyndns.org and get a name that you can use as opposed to a number... I do (although I have a private domain aas well...)

-Jason

Jason
03-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Jason/emok:

The Placeshifter for WinMo5/6 may be coming... it may not be as well. If they plan to release a version, I would be happy to test it out...

FFMPEG is a great transcoder... Unfortunately, the 'pipe' specific demands are not setup very dynamic...; ie if I access the stream with a high bandwidth feed, it should scale up as opposed to scaling down for a DSL line.

I like the ORB approach (dynamic scaling), although they use the libavcodec as well (FFMPEG/Mplayer/etc). They measure the bandwidth available and scale accordingly... it also appears that you can set the stream bandwidth specifically from within the webAPI.

I wish I could figure out the spcifics of my (Orb's) problem, as it would be a relatively 'simple' change to the server... Yohan is being quiet on the Orb forums...

-Jason

cslatt
03-02-2007, 10:51 AM

At it's simplest, Firefox is running on your computer, inside your home network. The feed2js application is running on the feed2js web server - which appears to be in Texas - NOT inside your home network. Machines inside your home network can track down private IPs within that network; machines outside your home network can't.

jimmyb
03-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Been wanting to ask this for awhile now. I use and love your webserver and in particular use the remote portion. I have Sage client on a laptop and use a PDA as the remote to change channel, mute and such.

The one thing I cannot do with the remote is go back to the HOME page, the main menu. Is there any way you could add one more button on the remote to bring us back to the homepage? I know it will be out of wack with an even number of buttons, but would be a big help.

LehighBri
03-05-2007, 05:26 PM
I am using the latest version of this webserver and am having an issue accessing the URL from outside my network. I can access the site just fine on my internal network, and I have port forwarding setup properly to work to forward port 8080 to my PC, but for some reason, I cannot get to the site externally. I use dyndns.org and port forwarding on other ports and can access other services just fine (such as ftp and web).

Are there any settings preventing me from accessing this using my port forwarding? Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Works:
http://192.168.1.111:8080/sage/Home
http://<external IP address> (this is my port 80 standard web site)

Does not work:
http://<external IP address>:8080/sage/Home
(Note that I have port forwarding setup the same way as port 80 for port 8080)

joe123
03-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Are there any settings preventing me from accessing this using my port forwarding? Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Me too - exactly as you describe. I thought it was only me after updrading to the latest version and have not had time to debug, but you can count me as well.

cslatt
03-05-2007, 10:25 PM
I am using the latest version of this webserver and am having an issue accessing the URL from outside my network.

If you're running Windows Firewall, make sure there is an exception setup for port 8080.

nielm
03-06-2007, 01:41 AM
Some routers use port 8080 for remote management, so you can also try using another port number

FidgetyRat
03-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Maybe there is another Mac guy that can help me with this one.

I wanted to try to stream a video away from home the other day, but the web server says I need VLC to do this. I already have VLC installed. I can't find any documentation anywhere on how to get Firefox or even Safari to realize that this program does in fact exist

Any suggestions?

geogecko
03-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Some routers use port 8080 for remote management, so you can also try using another port number

Yep, I had to use 8088. :D

jimmyb
03-07-2007, 03:17 PM
At it's simplest, Firefox is running on your computer, inside your home network. The feed2js application is running on the feed2js web server - which appears to be in Texas - NOT inside your home network. Machines inside your home network can track down private IPs within that network; machines outside your home network can't.

Just to say thank you cslatt! I redid the RSS java feed using public IP with port forwarded and all is working well. Thanks again fo ryour help.

Now if I can just get Neil to comment on my last request :)

nielm
03-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Now if I can just get Neil to comment on my last requestwell the webremote page is just static html and images: you can edit it yourself! (post any mods here and I will include them when I get around to a new release)

You should also be able to use the back button to go back to the main menu most of the time

LehighBri
03-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Yep, I had to use 8088. :D
How did you change the default port? I looked at all of the .properties files in the webserver folder but could not figure out how to change the default port of 8080. Thoughts?

rickgillyon
03-09-2007, 03:14 AM
It's in sage.properties, just search for 8080, you'll find it...

Make sure Sage is shut down first!

bionicDan
03-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Maybe there is another Mac guy that can help me with this one.

I wanted to try to stream a video away from home the other day, but the web server says I need VLC to do this. I already have VLC installed. I can't find any documentation anywhere on how to get Firefox or even Safari to realize that this program does in fact exist

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure how to do this either (and curious). However, I just tested opening the stream's link directly through VLC and it worked nicely.

To do this, I:

In SageWeb in your browser, right click on the wvx streaming playlist link and copy it.
In VLC (I'm using version 0.8.6a), click File | Open network...
Paste the link into the MRL box and click Open.

bug1124
03-15-2007, 09:09 AM
Hey everyone,

I am having a problem with the webserver. From work I like to stream music through the export playlists portion of the web interface. At first everything worked fine, the playlist would populate winamp and go through each song on the cd (I have playlists created for every cd). Gradually, songs would start disappearing off of the playlist until just the most frequently played song would remain. There didn't seem to be any pattern and sometimes it would be a song that wasn't even frequently played remaining. So now when I try to access a cd's playlist I only get one or two songs in the playlist. I checked in the local sage and the playlists are complete. I can also search individual songs and get them to play through the web interface. The playlist files themselves are fine if I load them directly (not through the web interface). Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!

nyplayer
03-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Nilem,

Currently I run your webserver on all my clients. Which works great I can control each client with webremote. What I would like todo is be able to isssue the stop command to a client using my remote using Girder. I am not sure of the syntax perhaps you can assist me. Is the below correct I would prefer it not open a webbrowser. Just send the command to the client.

h**p://sageclient:8080/sage/SageCommand?context=SAGETV_PROCESS_LOCAL_UI&command=Stop&returnto=webremote.html%3Fcontext%3DSAGETV_PROCESS_LOCAL_UI%26contextname%3DLocal%2520SageTV

Edit:

I was able to do this using wget. I even was able to take it 1 step farther and created a girder GML that would control all my clients. So now at the press of the button I can use MY RF remote to control any Client I wish... with full remote commands even if no remote is attached.

example of my girder command.

C:\wget-1.10.2b\wget.exe h**p://sageclient:8080/sage/SageCommand?context=SAGETV_PROCESS_LOCAL_UI&command=Play

nielm
03-20-2007, 05:07 AM
V2.12 Mar 20 2007 (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=108108&package_id=153357&release_id=494988) For SageTV 2.2-6.1

ENHANCEMENTS

Windows installer package to make installation a breeze
UPnP port forwarding support
(jreichen) Next Scheduled Recording on Home page
(jreichen) Mark Conflicts in Guide, Search Results, and Detailed Info
(emok) Added transcoding of video files with VLC for low-bandwidth video streaming (see WebserverTranscode (http://tools.assembla.com/sageplugins/wiki/WebserverTranscode))

BUGFIXES
Fixed folder rendering bug on Opera
(jreichen) Fix file size on Search Results page (find media file associated with airing)

FidgetyRat
03-20-2007, 08:12 AM
Yay for updates!

1) Does the self installer operate as a working upgrade package, or should I stick with the zip?

2) You wouldn't happen to have a Mac and know how to get VLC to recognize in either Firefox or Safari. I have tried everything I could possibly think of. I had to even edit your code to get the server to recognize that VLC exists! Once I click a video, i get "<no video>" in the little player window. I think it has to do with the mac VLC plugin for firefox, but not sure. Either way, for some reason sage web server won't acknowledge a valid VLC install.

nielm
03-20-2007, 09:10 AM
1) yes
2) I don't have a Mac, but just download the m3u playlist instead and open it with VLC..

nielm
03-20-2007, 09:33 AM
V2.13 Mar 20 2007 (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=108108&package_id=153357&release_id=495054) For SageTV 2.2-6.1

BUGFIXES
v2.12 only worked with SageTV6, this version should restore backward compatability.

Neo
03-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Is there any update on the issue with recording quality, (post 1357 (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=205710&postcount=1357)) ?

technazz
03-20-2007, 10:39 PM
I tried the transcoding feature and I seem to be having trouble. I Have VLC loaded on My sagebox. Here is the logs from the webserver.

I Can steam un transcoded files fine to my laptop to view through VLC.

Thx

Technazz

emok
03-21-2007, 12:10 AM
I tried the transcoding feature and I seem to be having trouble. I Have VLC loaded on My sagebox. Here is the logs from the webserver.

I Can steam un transcoded files fine to my laptop to view through VLC.

Thx

Technazz

Technazz,

Do you have any firewall software running? You may need to create an exception for the port range specified in the transcode.properties file, i believe it's 8000-8100 OR allow c:\Program Files\Videolan\VLC\vlc.exe (in addition to sagetv.exe and sagetvclient.exe as an exception so the socket creation is allowed.)

Explanation: The webserver transcode feature works by selecting an available port in the specified port range and kicking off a vlc transcode process for that port. The server then connects to the vlc process on this port and returns the stream back to the requesting client as a response to the original client request.

E

nielm
03-21-2007, 02:26 AM
Is there any update on the issue with recording quality, (post 1357 (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=205710&postcount=1357)) ?I did try it, but could not reproduce it on my system -- it seemed to work fine (sorry I forgot to reply).

nielm
03-21-2007, 04:04 AM
Hey everyone,

I am having a problem with the webserver. From work I like to stream music through the export playlists portion of the web interface. At first everything worked fine, the playlist would populate winamp and go through each song on the cd (I have playlists created for every cd). Gradually, songs would start disappearing off of the playlist until just the most frequently played song would remain. There didn't seem to be any pattern and sometimes it would be a song that wasn't even frequently played remaining. So now when I try to access a cd's playlist I only get one or two songs in the playlist. I checked in the local sage and the playlists are complete. I can also search individual songs and get them to play through the web interface. The playlist files themselves are fine if I load them directly (not through the web interface). Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!

I am not sure I understand whats happening here...

Are the songs disappearing from the playlists stored in Sage (check the playlist contents in the Sage UI), or only from the exported playlists in the webserver?

Are the playlists and exported playlists fine, but the songs are disappearing from Winamp's playlist?

technazz
03-21-2007, 07:57 AM
Technazz,

Do you have any firewall software running? You may need to create an exception for the port range specified in the transcode.properties file, i believe it's 8000-8100 OR allow c:\Program Files\Videolan\VLC\vlc.exe (in addition to sagetv.exe and sagetvclient.exe as an exception so the socket creation is allowed.)

Explanation: The webserver transcode feature works by selecting an available port in the specified port range and kicking off a vlc transcode process for that port. The server then connects to the vlc process on this port and returns the stream back to the requesting client as a response to the original client request.

E

Emok,

The windows Firewall was always turned off. I have no other Firewall software. I have a Router Firewall but Im accessing my local network directly so i think that should not affect it. As I said before I can stream no problem to VLC from the webserver but not transcoded files. Im wondering what else it could be?

Thanks

Technazz

nielm
03-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Technazz: Which VLC version are you using? If not the latest, have you tried upgrading?
Is your server a bit slow? The webserver retries for 10secs for VLC to startup and generate the transcoded vid, but this may be too little. Try increasing MaxRetries in the properties file..

technazz
03-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Technazz: Which VLC version are you using? If not the latest, have you tried upgrading?
Is your server a bit slow? The webserver retries for 10secs for VLC to startup and generate the transcoded vid, but this may be too little. Try increasing MaxRetries in the properties file..

I'm using the latest VLC .86. My server is a 3000+ AMD with 2 GIG of ram so I dont think its that.
Is there a location where the transcoded file is generated? Maybe I can see if VLC is working.

Ill try increasing the MAXRetries when I get home.

Thanks (this will null out a placeshifter purchase for me)
Technazz

emok
03-21-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm using the latest VLC .86. My server is a 3000+ AMD with 2 GIG of ram so I dont think its that.
Is there a location where the transcoded file is generated? Maybe I can see if VLC is working.

Ill try increasing the MAXRetries when I get home.

Thanks (this will null out a placeshifter purchase for me)
Technazz

There is actually no temporary transcoded file. The transcoding is done realtime by vlc on the server and the trancoded stream is output onto the specified port on the server.

The error we see in the logs are most likely either:
1) server VLC process could not start for some reason
a) could not create transcoding process streaming to the specified port
b) vlc could not find the specified file
c) possible invalid transcode options
2) sage webserver could not connect to server vlc process on the specified port
a) the internal URL that the webserver is using to connect to the vlc stream is invalid or unreachable

Can you specify:

1) System configuration:
SageTV version:
SageTV as service?:
Java version:

2) Steps you are using to reproduce (which link you are clicking on?).

Thanks,
E

nielm
03-21-2007, 10:57 AM
The transcoded file as such does not exist. the webserver pulls it from VLC via the loopback network, then forwards it on... The problem you are having is that the websever cannot connect to the transcoding VLC.

Sage's logging may also indicate some issues not all the logging went into the webserver logs...
[Edit: emok beat me to it!]

technazz
03-21-2007, 11:18 AM
There is actually no temporary transcoded file. The transcoding is done realtime by vlc on the server and the trancoded stream is output onto the specified port on the server.

The error we see in the logs are most likely either:
1) server VLC process could not start for some reason
a) could not create transcoding process streaming to the specified port
b) vlc could not find the specified file
c) possible invalid transcode options
2) sage webserver could not connect to server vlc process on the specified port
a) the internal URL that the webserver is using to connect to the vlc stream is invalid or unreachable

Can you specify:

1) System configuration:
SageTV version:
SageTV as service?:
Java version:

2) Steps you are using to reproduce (which link you are clicking on?).

Thanks,
E

Sage TV Ver 6.1.3
No Service
Java Version 1.6 beta (not the latest)

Im clicking on MPEG2 1 Mbps m3u file saving it and then opening it in VLC
http://192.168.0.100:8080/sagepublic/PlaylistGenerator?Command=generate&pltype=m3u&fntype=url&MediaFileId=3330669&TranscodeOpts=mode%3Dvlc%26vc%3Dmp2v%26vb%3D768%26ac%3Dmp2a%26ab%3D128%26scale%3D1%26mux%3Dts

Thx

Technazz

emok
03-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Sage TV Ver 6.1.3
No Service
Java Version 1.6 beta (not the latest)

Im clicking on MPEG2 1 Mbps m3u file saving it and then opening it in VLC
http://192.168.0.100:8080/sagepublic/PlaylistGenerator?Command=generate&pltype=m3u&fntype=url&MediaFileId=3330669&TranscodeOpts=mode%3Dvlc%26vc%3Dmp2v%26vb%3D768%26ac%3Dmp2a%26ab%3D128%26scale%3D1%26mux%3Dts

Thx

Technazz

Do you see a command window opened up by VLC on the server when you start the playlist from the client?

nielm
03-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Do you see a command window opened up by VLC on the server when you start the playlist from the client?I disabled that window with the --dummy-quiet VLC option because it breaks full screen exclusive mode :)

technazz
03-21-2007, 11:41 AM
I disabled that window with the --dummy-quiet VLC option because it breaks full screen exclusive mode :)

I tried looking for the vlc process to start in Process Explorer and it doesn seem to Start. Now I haven't rebooted this box since I install VLC that may be the culprit. Ill reboot it when My wife is finished watching her soaps/talkshows .. :rolleyes:

Technazz

emok
03-21-2007, 11:59 AM
I tried looking for the vlc process to start in Process Explorer and it doesn seem to Start. Now I haven't rebooted this box since I install VLC that may be the culprit. Ill reboot it when My wife is finished watching her soaps/talkshows .. :rolleyes:

Technazz

Theoretically, the boot wouldn't make a difference, but who knows (it's Windows, right?).

I've been running the webserver as part of SageTV(service) and haven't had this issue (I'm also using Sage 5.04/JRE1.4.2_13).

If you don't see the vlc.exe process at least attempting to start in the task manager process list, then it could be some type of permission problem related to a java process (sage) trying to launch an application.

Things to try:
1. Like nielm said, perhaps the the sage debug logs will provide more information.
2. Try running sagetv as a service.
3. Look into Java (I know, this is vague, I'm not familiar enough with the security model to give any more information here.)
4. Try running vlc transcode process from the command line on the server with the specified parameters.

vlc -I dummy --dummy-quiet --quiet --no-sub-autodetect-file %LOCAL_PATH% :sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=768,scale=1,acodec=mp2a,ab=128,channels=2,threads=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=8000}}

E

ToonGal
03-21-2007, 12:35 PM
V2.13 Mar 20 2007 For SageTV 2.2-6.1
BUGFIXES
v2.12 only worked with SageTV6, this version should restore backward compatability.

Great release, Nielm, et. al! So you know, the backward compatibility works great on v5. Will let you know if/when there is anything wrong, but I like the additions and rely on this often.

Minor complaint... I spent some time reworking the web remote and it wasn't added to the package. Granted the icons I mouse drew sucked... But the functionality is there, and I figured someone could contribute that. Worst case, no worries, as I just don't overwrite mine with each release.

Anyway... Thanks for keeping SageTV so productive for me. I really love and value this plugin most of all!

traker1001
03-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Love the new installer, I would like to see 4 things though. One thing would be the option to not have a username and password in the installer, I don't know about others, But I have no need for the username and password and end up having to go in and manually remove them.

The second thing is, I would like to get rid of the root index page, You know the one that says "Nothing to see here", Its just a minor annoyance to me to have to replace it with a redirector page everytime I reinstall it.

The 3rd thing is a little tougher, I don't even know if this is possible, I would love a way to use the webserver to Import/Export or backup Recording schedule, such as favorites, and scheduled recordings.

And the 4th, I suspect is impossible, But worth a shot, A way to add and remove channels via the web interface would be outstanding.

I doubt My suggestions will change much but those are thing I would love to see.

Other than that Keep up the absolutely Awesome, Wonderful, Great I can't say enough about it work. :goodjob:

bug1124
03-21-2007, 02:49 PM
I am not sure I understand whats happening here...

Are the songs disappearing from the playlists stored in Sage (check the playlist contents in the Sage UI), or only from the exported playlists in the webserver?

Are the playlists and exported playlists fine, but the songs are disappearing from Winamp's playlist?

The playlist contents show up fine in the Sage UI, they no longer show up on playlists from the webserver. I don't know if maybe this is winamp's fault somehow or what. The songs gradually started disappearing until now where they don't play at all.

The playlists on the hard drive with the music are fine...the ones that I download through the webserver now seem to be corrupt. I think it started happening after I upgraded from 6.0.19 (currently 6.1.4), but it may have been prior to that upgrade. When I download a playlist through the webserver and try to view its contents with notepad all I see on the list is "#EXTM3U", nothing below it.

Does this sound like a webserver issue, a sage issue, or maybe winamp?

bcjenkins
03-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Yay for updates!

1) Does the self installer operate as a working upgrade package, or should I stick with the zip?

2) You wouldn't happen to have a Mac and know how to get VLC to recognize in either Firefox or Safari. I have tried everything I could possibly think of. I had to even edit your code to get the server to recognize that VLC exists! Once I click a video, i get "<no video>" in the little player window. I think it has to do with the mac VLC plugin for firefox, but not sure. Either way, for some reason sage web server won't acknowledge a valid VLC install.
Just found this today. It isn't really evident when you go to their web site. Note: This did not work for me remotely. And I am struggling with the VLC transcode option now as well.

B

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

Web Browser plugin for Intel (9.6MB)

http://www.videolan.org/mirror.html?mirror=http://mirrors.optralan.com/videolan/&file=vlc/0.8.6a/macosx/vlc-plugin-0.8.6a-intel.dmg

Web Browser plugin for PowerPC (9.4MB)

http://www.videolan.org/mirror.html?mirror=http://mirrors.optralan.com/videolan/&file=vlc/0.8.6a/macosx/vlc-plugin-0.8.6a-powerpc.dmg

emok
03-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Just found this today. It isn't really evident when you go to their web site. Note: This did not work for me remotely. And I am struggling with the VLC transcode option now as well.

B

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

Web Browser plugin for Intel (9.6MB)

http://www.videolan.org/mirror.html?mirror=http://mirrors.optralan.com/videolan/&file=vlc/0.8.6a/macosx/vlc-plugin-0.8.6a-intel.dmg

Web Browser plugin for PowerPC (9.4MB)

http://www.videolan.org/mirror.html?mirror=http://mirrors.optralan.com/videolan/&file=vlc/0.8.6a/macosx/vlc-plugin-0.8.6a-powerpc.dmg

bcjenkins,

What kind of problems are you having and what's your system config?

SageTV version:
SageTV as service?:
Java version:

Thanks,
E

bcjenkins
03-21-2007, 08:15 PM
bcjenkins,

What kind of problems are you having and what's your system config?

SageTV version:
SageTV as service?:
Java version:

Thanks,
E

Cool, thanks for the help.

Server: Windows 2003 Ent Ed.
SageTV 6.1
SageTV Runs as service. User is member of Administrator group
Java 1.6
No Firewall

VLC provides this error:

access_http: error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not found
access_http: error: HTTP/1.0 404 Not found
access_mms: error: HTTP/1.0 404 Not found
main: no suitable access module for `http://192.168.0.198:8080/sagepublic/MediaFileTranscode?MediaFileId=2145336&mode=vlc&vc=mp4v&vb=256&ac=mp3&ab=96&scale=0.3&mux=ts&deint=1'

FYI VLC plugin works on Mac in Camino (gecko) browser. I can watch video now over the WLAN.

B

emok
03-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Cool, thanks for the help.

Server: Windows 2003 Ent Ed.
SageTV 6.1
SageTV Runs as service. User is member of Administrator group
Java 1.6
No Firewall

VLC provides this error:

access_http: error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not found
access_http: error: HTTP/1.0 404 Not found
access_mms: error: HTTP/1.0 404 Not found
main: no suitable access module for `http://192.168.0.198:8080/sagepublic/MediaFileTranscode?MediaFileId=2145336&mode=vlc&vc=mp4v&vb=256&ac=mp3&ab=96&scale=0.3&mux=ts&deint=1'

FYI VLC plugin works on Mac in Camino (gecko) browser. I can watch video now over the WLAN.

B

Can you also attach the webserver logfile (I believe it's located at <SageDirectory>/webserver/logs)?

Thanks,
E

bcjenkins
03-21-2007, 08:29 PM
[Wed Mar 21 11:43:55 EDT 2007] /sage/Recordings: invalid value: 'GetShowExternalID' found for option: sagetv_recordings_sort using defaults
[Wed Mar 21 11:54:52 EDT 2007] /sage/Recordings: invalid value: 'GetShowExternalID' found for option: sagetv_recordings_sort using defaults
[Wed Mar 21 11:56:54 EDT 2007] /sage/Recordings: invalid value: 'GetShowExternalID' found for option: sagetv_recordings_sort using defaults
[Wed Mar 21 11:58:44 EDT 2007] /sage/Recordings: invalid value: 'GetShowExternalID' found for option: sagetv_recordings_sort using defaults
[Wed Mar 21 14:24:18 EDT 2007] /sage/Recordings: invalid value: 'GetShowExternalID' found for option: sagetv_recordings_sort using defaults
[Wed Mar 21 20:57:35 EDT 2007] /sage/Recordings: invalid value: 'GetShowExternalID' found for option: sagetv_recordings_sort using defaults
[Wed Mar 21 20:59:07 EDT 2007] /sage/Recordings: invalid value: 'GetShowExternalID' found for option: sagetv_recordings_sort using defaults

All that was in the log.

Thanks again

emok
03-21-2007, 08:59 PM
[Wed Mar 21 11:43:55 EDT 2007] /sage/Recordings: invalid value: 'GetShowExternalID' found for option: sagetv_recordings_sort using defaults
[Wed Mar 21 11:54:52 EDT 2007] /sage/Recordings: invalid value: 'GetShowExternalID' found for option: sagetv_recordings_sort using defaults
[Wed Mar 21 11:56:54 EDT 2007] /sage/Recordings: invalid value: 'GetShowExternalID' found for option: sagetv_recordings_sort using defaults
[Wed Mar 21 11:58:44 EDT 2007] /sage/Recordings: invalid value: 'GetShowExternalID' found for option: sagetv_recordings_sort using defaults
[Wed Mar 21 14:24:18 EDT 2007] /sage/Recordings: invalid value: 'GetShowExternalID' found for option: sagetv_recordings_sort using defaults
[Wed Mar 21 20:57:35 EDT 2007] /sage/Recordings: invalid value: 'GetShowExternalID' found for option: sagetv_recordings_sort using defaults
[Wed Mar 21 20:59:07 EDT 2007] /sage/Recordings: invalid value: 'GetShowExternalID' found for option: sagetv_recordings_sort using defaults

All that was in the log.

Thanks again

From the vlc and server logs, it looks like the request is not being handled by the embedded webserver. The HTTP 404 response code indicates a "page not found".

It could be that the servlets.properties file did not get updated properly because the new servlet mapping for "MediaFileTranscode" doesn't seem to exist.

Can you verify that this mapping exists in the servlets.properties file?

Did you install with the installer or using the zip file?

Thanks,
E

technazz
03-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Theoretically, the boot wouldn't make a difference, but who knows (it's Windows, right?).

I've been running the webserver as part of SageTV(service) and haven't had this issue (I'm also using Sage 5.04/JRE1.4.2_13).

If you don't see the vlc.exe process at least attempting to start in the task manager process list, then it could be some type of permission problem related to a java process (sage) trying to launch an application.

Things to try:
1. Like nielm said, perhaps the the sage debug logs will provide more information.
2. Try running sagetv as a service.
3. Look into Java (I know, this is vague, I'm not familiar enough with the security model to give any more information here.)
4. Try running vlc transcode process from the command line on the server with the specified parameters.

vlc -I dummy --dummy-quiet --quiet --no-sub-autodetect-file %LOCAL_PATH% :sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=768,scale=1,acodec=mp2a,ab=128,channels=2,threads=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=8000}}

E

1. Which logs sagetv? Ive attached both Webserver and Sage Client Logs

2. Im now running the SageTv Service with no change.

3. Im lost here

4. I ran this from the cmd prompt and it did start the vlc in my process monitor. But i could not get the transcoding to work with this vlc process running.

Thanks

Technazz

emok
03-22-2007, 12:28 AM
1. Which logs sagetv? Ive attached both Webserver and Sage Client Logs

2. Im now running the SageTv Service with no change.

3. Im lost here

4. I ran this from the cmd prompt and it did start the vlc in my process monitor. But i could not get the transcoding to work with this vlc process running.

Thanks

Technazz

1. This log you recently attached actually brings up a different bug. Mainly to do with segmented files (where sage had to create multiple files for a single airing).

2. As for your original problem. For the sage service, are you running as the system user?

nielm
03-22-2007, 05:40 AM
The playlist contents show up fine in the Sage UI, they no longer show up on playlists from the webserver. I don't know if maybe this is winamp's fault somehow or what. The songs gradually started disappearing until now where they don't play at all.
When you view the playlist in Sage, what happens when you click on a track... Do you get a popup with 'view details', or do you get a popup with 'Delete this missing segement'

If the latter, the problem is in Sage: It has lost the link between the songs in your playlist and the songs in your media library, and you will need to recreate the playlists in Sage. If these are 'imported' playlists, just delete the playlist in sage, then rescan media lib...

Otherwise, I don't know -- if the playlists generated by the webserver are empty, then the problem is either in Sage or the webserver, and if the playlists play fine in Sage, then that rules that out! I will add some more logging in any case.

nielm
03-22-2007, 05:46 AM
Love the new installer, I would like to see 4 things though. One thing would be the option to not have a username and password in the installer

The second thing is, I would like to get rid of the root index page, You know the one that says "Nothing to see here", Its just a minor annoyance to me to have to replace it with a redirector page everytime I reinstall it.
both of these are done for security reasons, because the web interface will be used for access from the internet. Once the user/pass is set or commented out, it will not overwrite it.

The 3rd thing is a little tougher, I don't even know if this is possible, I would love a way to use the webserver to Import/Export or backup Recording schedule, such as favorites, and scheduled recordings.Fave export is there (Fave manager/XML buttom), but import is not... I know this seems daft, but I have never had the time nor the need to create an import function... (I guess the day after my Wiz.bin gets corrupt, it will be there)

And the 4th, I suspect is impossible, But worth a shot, A way to add and remove channels via the web interface would be outstanding.it's technically possible, but I am unlikely to do it, as I have no need for it. Any advanced Sage config like this I do via VNC.

technazz
03-22-2007, 07:20 AM

2. As for your original problem. For the sage service, are you running as the system user?

I think so I just have one user account and it has full admin but i do not log in.

Technazz

mj_wood
03-22-2007, 08:27 AM
The server seems to be working great apart from watching recorded programmes.
If I click on the Watch (Streamed) option then I can see the programme in VLC but cannot hear any audio. This happens on all of my computers.

I cannot get the transcoding to work at all. VLC on the remote machine spends a while processing the stream and then gives up.

The recordings are all from a DVB-T card.

The computer that SageTV is installed on is:

P4 3.4Ghz
1Gb RAM
Windows Vista Premium
SageTV 6.0.19

I have tried streaming to a Vista machine, Windows XP Home and Windows XP Pro but all with the same result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bcjenkins
03-22-2007, 09:19 AM
The server seems to be working great apart from watching recorded programmes.
If I click on the Watch (Streamed) option then I can see the programme in VLC but cannot hear any audio. This happens on all of my computers.

I cannot get the transcoding to work at all. VLC on the remote machine spends a while processing the stream and then gives up.

The recordings are all from a DVB-T card.

The computer that SageTV is installed on is:

P4 3.4Ghz
1Gb RAM
Windows Vista Premium
SageTV 6.0.19

I have tried streaming to a Vista machine, Windows XP Home and Windows XP Pro but all with the same result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you trying to stream HD? When I copy an HD file to my desktop (Mac computer) it won't play audio, when I use MPlayer it does.

B

bcjenkins
03-22-2007, 09:32 AM
From the vlc and server logs, it looks like the request is not being handled by the embedded webserver. The HTTP 404 response code indicates a "page not found".

It could be that the servlets.properties file did not get updated properly because the new servlet mapping for "MediaFileTranscode" doesn't seem to exist.

Can you verify that this mapping exists in the servlets.properties file?

Did you install with the installer or using the zip file?

Thanks,
E

Thanks for the diagnosis. The properties file had not been updated. FTR - I used the zip file so I didn't overwrite my realms.properties file.

Transcoding seems to work alright too.. I found the speed test page humorous. See attachment. You may want to add a third reason for high speed. A really kicking internet connection. (I love my FiOS)

Other than that I'll run through the profiles to see what works and what doesn't.

B

bcjenkins
03-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Niel,

The newest version of TJWS supports both HTTP and HTTPS in the same instance. I would like to be able to do this.

Full feature/bug improvements:

* nohup option
* getSession() never null fix pointed by Warren E. Downs
* most of 2.4 done, fixed messed sessions when browser sends more than one session cookie
* session persistence between server re-runs (here are some issues when classes loaded under WEB-INF/..)
* fixes realm not got applied to servlets, hanging when accessed reserved device, like con:, prt: pointed by users (Niel Markwick, and others)
* added J2EE web app deployment and JSP support (GNU JSP) as a separate module
* support of filters and listeners, requested by Argan
* keep-alive support, requested by Torben Bruun
* err option to keep System.err unchanged or customize it, requested by Xavier
* many keep-alive fixes came from Martin Egholm Nielsen
* fixes in web app servlet most reported by Nicolas Prochazka
* supporting HTTP and HTTPS transports in the same instance
* exit out of serve() by André Kischkel
* thread pooling for servicing requests
* unavailable, and path pattern related fixes
* web app launcher including embedded .war
* JSP engine with spec 2.0/2.1 support as Japser
* filter for include, forward, and error. Multiple URL patterns
* HTTP Range request support for file servlet
* added Response Buffer and Request Dispatcher support in base server
* flexible support of server sockets including Selector based
* default log directory by Italia Roberto

Thanks for the consideration.

B

lotusvball
03-22-2007, 12:26 PM
I found the speed test page humorous. See attachment. You may want to add a third reason for high speed. A really kicking internet connection. (I love my FiOS)

How did you get to the speed test page? I can not seem to find it. Using ver. 2.13

nielm
03-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Click on Watch (Streamed)
and then at the top of the list of transcoded modes there is a link to the speed test page

rickgillyon
03-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Haven't tried the new version yet, will do when I get home tomorrow.

One query: is it possible for the homepage, when it shows what is playing on the extenders, to show whether they are playing or paused? The kids have a nasty habit of leaving livetv shows paused, which means we keep recording all subsequent shows. If I could see it was paused, I could make it a manual recording and stop playback, stopping it using one of my few tuners for the next three days solid... :)

Or I could just threaten to take the MVPs off them.

Thanks!

bcjenkins
03-22-2007, 12:40 PM

One query: is it possible for the homepage, when it shows what is playing on the extenders, to show whether they are playing or paused? The kids have a nasty habit of leaving livetv shows paused, which means we keep recording all subsequent shows. If I could see it was paused, I could make it a manual recording and stop playback, stopping it using one of my few tuners for the next three days solid... :)

Thanks!
You can use the web remote and kill the playback with the stop button too.

B

EDIT: Any way to friendly name your extenders? Tried as I might I can't memorize the units' mac addresses.

rickgillyon
03-22-2007, 12:46 PM
You can use the web remote and kill the playback with the stop button too.
Thanks, yeah, knew that. Problem is, I don't want to do that if they are actually viewing, just if they've paused it and gone off to school etc.

EDIT: Any way to friendly name your extenders? Tried as I might I can't memorize the units' mac addresses.
:) Nope, but I have two extenders (so far) and only two kids (ever), and I know that the extender with a "C" in its MAC belongs to the kid without a "C" in her name...when I get the next two MVPs (if they ever come back into stock) I'll be lost...

bcjenkins
03-22-2007, 01:49 PM

Thanks!

Okay.. Try two!

If I read this correctly, http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=140259&postcount=1

And you're a programmer, you could build a query in studio and add it in to the web server as a module.

HIH

B

rickgillyon
03-22-2007, 01:52 PM
And you're a programmer, you could build a query in studio and add it in to the web server as a module.
I am a programmer (amongst many other things) but I was kind of hoping that someone else would do it for me... :D

bcjenkins
03-22-2007, 03:22 PM
I am a programmer (amongst many other things) but I was kind of hoping that someone else would do it for me... :D

Well.. If it is any consolation, if I knew how I would. Seems to be a useful feature. We have the now playing, shouldn't be too hard to get current status of now playing.

IsPlaying

public boolean IsPlaying()

Returns true if the MediaPlayer is currently playing back content (i.e. content is fully loaded and not in the paused state)

Returns:
true if the MediaPlayer is currently playing back content, false otherwise

If there is a web control for that API, is it what is needed?

Oats
03-22-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm having trouble with UPnP port forwarding. I am trying to connect using spysurfing.com proxy and it fails. If I manually forward port 8080 it works fine. I know UPnP is working on my router because xfire and utorrent are both successfully using it. I checked the box to use UPnP when I upgraded the webserver and Windows Firewall is disabled.

nielm
03-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the diagnosis. The properties file had not been updated. FTR - I used the zip file so I didn't overwrite my realms.properties file.The installer is intelligent enough not to do this :)

(do you really have a 5Mbit uplink?!)

rickgillyon
03-22-2007, 05:47 PM
The installer is intelligent enough not to do this
This reminds me, will the new installer respect my additions to menu_items.js?

jamart3d
03-22-2007, 05:50 PM
hey, i was about to post how I have vlc http interface and http streaming
working fine from my htpc/sage webserver thru my office firewall/proxy

At my office, I can only use ports 80, 1080, and 8080, and it has to go thru the proxy

webserver on port 80
vlc http interface on 8080
vlc http stream on 1080

this is my vlc transcode setting that works very well, i only have @ 666 kbps up...

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp1v,vb=256,scale=0.5,acodec=mpga,ab=96,channels=1}:std{access=http,mux=mpeg1,dst=:1080}

my server is a p4m 2ghz laptop, and doesn't seem to have much trouble transcoding with the above setting.

I was thinking how I could get the vlc http interface embedded into the web server...
which would allow pause/seeking.

I'll install 2.13 soon , and start tweaking..

thanks for 2.13:clap:

nielm
03-22-2007, 05:54 PM
This reminds me, will the new installer respect my additions to menu_items.js? Unfortunatly not... (it is mentioned in the Installation instructions (http://tools.assembla.com/sageplugins/wiki/WebserverInstall)) I cannot see any way at the moment of keeping user-modified menu items when adding new menu items..

nielm
03-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Minor complaint... I spent some time reworking the web remote and it wasn't added to the package. Sorry, I completely missed this when you posted it!
It will be in 2.14...

As will Extender MAC Addr->name translations, and an indication of 'Paused' on the home page

rickgillyon
03-22-2007, 05:57 PM
I cannot see any way at the moment of keeping user-modified menu items when adding new menu items..
It's not possible to have an include in there for a separate file? That would be great...

nielm
03-22-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm having trouble with UPnP port forwarding. I am trying to connect using spysurfing.com proxy and it fails. If I manually forward port 8080 it works fine.UPnP piggybacks onto Sage's Placeshifter UPnP, so can you go into Detailed Setup/Server/Configure Placeshifter Internet Connection/Configure, and check that it UPnP Automatic is enabled.
You may need to restart the server if it is not.

You can also check the UPnP page on your router webadmin to see if the ports are forwarded.

rickgillyon
03-22-2007, 06:07 PM
As will Extender MAC Addr->name translations, and an indication of 'Paused' on the home page
Fantastic! :)
But I wonder where the extender naming happens?

Oats
03-22-2007, 06:30 PM
UPnP piggybacks onto Sage's Placeshifter UPnP, so can you go into Detailed Setup/Server/Configure Placeshifter Internet Connection/Configure, and check that it UPnP Automatic is enabled.
You may need to restart the server if it is not.

You can also check the UPnP page on your router webadmin to see if the ports are forwarded.

So I need to have version 6 for UPnP? I'm still running version 5.

bcjenkins
03-22-2007, 06:42 PM
The installer is intelligent enough not to do this :)

(do you really have a 5Mbit uplink?!)

:D Verizon Fios 30mb dn / 5 mb up

http://jenkins.homedns.org:8080/pickup/speedtest.jpg

emok
03-22-2007, 11:24 PM

:eek:

nielm
03-23-2007, 01:55 AM
So I need to have version 6 for UPnP? I'm still running version 5.I cannot remember when UPnP was added, so possibly...
If the configuration menu I mentioned does not exist, then probably not

bcjenkins
03-23-2007, 06:13 AM
Now that I have figured out web browser plugins on the Mac, transcoding tv on the server, how does one transcode ripped DVDs? I'd love remote access to my collection whilst traveling.

B

Opus4
03-23-2007, 08:33 AM
So I need to have version 6 for UPnP? I'm still running version 5.It was added for v5.0, since that is the first version of the manual it is listed in. See the Detailed Setup menu location Niel mentioned.

- Andy

geogecko
03-23-2007, 09:14 AM

Good night! Isn't that considered a business package? I just got the 5M down, 3M up. Fine for me though! :D

jeno007
03-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Hi,

I just installed sagetv and the web user interface plugin on ubuntu linux.
Accessing the web interface via firefox from the machine sagetv is running on works fine.
But accessing it from a remote machine, even from the same subnet gives me the following popup error message after authentication and partly loading the page:

"Error in menu_items.js - check syntax".

Partly loading the page meas that no graphical elements are loaded. It seems that parts of the page are not accessible and I assume it's happening with the js files as well.
Does anybody experiencing the same? Any solution?

Jeno

nielm
03-23-2007, 10:12 AM
don't put a '/' after 'Home'
ie: http://mediaserver:8080/sage/Home

bcjenkins
03-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Good night! Isn't that considered a business package? I just got the 5M down, 3M up. Fine for me though! :D

It was only 10 bucks more a month than 15/2. I think it is because Adelphia, now Comcast was offering 16/2 or better.

All this speed for 54.95. Can't beat it!

B

Oats
03-23-2007, 11:18 AM
It was added for v5.0, since that is the first version of the manual it is listed in. See the Detailed Setup menu location Niel mentioned.

- Andy

You are right, for some reason I was thinking placeshifter came out with version 6. I set it up and it is now showing up in my router.

jeno007
03-23-2007, 11:48 AM
don't put a '/' after 'Home'
ie: http://mediaserver:8080/sage/Home

I was aware of this tailing slash as it is documented in the troubleshooting faq.
The problem was that I used http://mediaserver:8080/Sage/Home instead of http://mediaserver:8080/sage/Home.
The effect is quite interesting as part of the image is still get loaded.
Anyhow, problem solved.
Thank you.

jimmyb
03-23-2007, 12:11 PM
well the webremote page is just static html and images: you can edit it yourself! (post any mods here and I will include them when I get around to a new release)

You should also be able to use the back button to go back to the main menu most of the time

Well I finally got around to changing this to my liking. I use my Pocket_PC as a remote when watching my Laptop on the Patio or in the hot tub. The reason I wanted to see the Home page was when returning to the Guide page, I was stuck there. I could not go back to Home to view my recordings (Left arrow only walks you back thru the hours and days), listen to music or other choices. Now after changing (thanks to your help) I am free to surf the SageTV pages wherever INCLUDING the Guide if I wish.

All I did was change the references to Guide in the webremote.html to Home and all is working well.

Thanks Again Neil !

technazz
03-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Nielm

Here is my new logs.

VLC is in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC

When I issue "c:\Progra~1\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe -I dummy --dummy-quiet --quiet --no-sub-autodetect-file E:\Sage Recordings\TheColbertReport-2959391-0.mpg :sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=768,scale=1,acodec=mp2a,ab=128,channels=2,threads=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=127.0.0.1:8000}}"

in the CMD windows it launches vlc

Thx

Technazz

emok
03-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Nielm

Here is my new logs.

VLC is in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC

Thx

Technazz

[Fri Mar 23 18:00:37 EDT 2007] /sagepublic/MediaFileTranscode: doServletGet(): File to play: E:\Sage Recordings\TheColbertReport-2959391-0.mpg
[Fri Mar 23 18:00:37 EDT 2007] /sagepublic/MediaFileTranscode: doServletGet(): Starting the transcode process.
[Fri Mar 23 18:00:37 EDT 2007] Executing command: c:\Progra~1\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe -I dummy --dummy-quiet --quiet --no-sub-autodetect-file E:\Sage Recordings\TheColbertReport-2959391-0.mpg :sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=768,scale=1,acodec=mp2a,ab=128,channels=2,threads=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=127.0.0.1:8000}}
[Fri Mar 23 18:00:38 EDT 2007] VLC(err): No such file or directory

A-ha! It looks like the "space" in your directory name may be causing problems. "Sage Recordings". In your transcode.properties, try putting quotes around the VlcOpts %LOCAL_PATH% token:

VlcOpts=-I dummy --dummy-quiet --quiet --no-sub-autodetect-file "%LOCAL_PATH%" \:sout\=\#transcode{vcodec\=%VIDEO_CODEC%,vb\=%VIDEO_BITRATE%,scale\=%SCALE%,acodec\=%AUDIO_CODEC%,ab\=%AUDIO_BITRATE%,channels\=2,threads\=2%DEINTERLACE%}\:duplicate{dst\=std{access\=http,mux\=%MUX%,dst\=%SERVERPORT%}}

Edit: Looks like it may need to be escaped---> \"%LOCAL_PATH%\"

technazz
03-23-2007, 05:34 PM
[Fri Mar 23 18:00:37 EDT 2007] /sagepublic/MediaFileTranscode: doServletGet(): File to play: E:\Sage Recordings\TheColbertReport-2959391-0.mpg
[Fri Mar 23 18:00:37 EDT 2007] /sagepublic/MediaFileTranscode: doServletGet(): Starting the transcode process.
[Fri Mar 23 18:00:37 EDT 2007] Executing command: c:\Progra~1\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe -I dummy --dummy-quiet --quiet --no-sub-autodetect-file E:\Sage Recordings\TheColbertReport-2959391-0.mpg :sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=768,scale=1,acodec=mp2a,ab=128,channels=2,threads=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=127.0.0.1:8000}}
[Fri Mar 23 18:00:38 EDT 2007] VLC(err): No such file or directory

A-ha! It looks like the "space" in your directory name may be causing problems. "Sage Recordings". In your transcode.properties, try putting quotes around the VlcOpts %LOCAL_PATH% token:

VlcOpts=-I dummy --dummy-quiet --quiet --no-sub-autodetect-file "%LOCAL_PATH%" \:sout\=\#transcode{vcodec\=%VIDEO_CODEC%,vb\=%VIDEO_BITRATE%,scale\=%SCALE%,acodec\=%AUDIO_CODEC%,ab\=%AUDIO_BITRATE%,channels\=2,threads\=2%DEINTERLACE%}\:duplicate{dst\=std{access\=http,mux\=%MUX%,dst\=%SERVERPORT%}}

Edit: Looks like it may need to be escaped---> \"%LOCAL_PATH%\"

Ding Ding Ding We have a winner!! Thanks emok and neilm..

Technazz

emok
03-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Ding Ding Ding We have a winner!! Thanks emok and neilm..

Technazz

Glad to hear it's working. :clap:

nielm
03-24-2007, 01:46 AM
The problem was that I used http://mediaserver:8080/Sage/Home instead of http://mediaserver:8080/sage/Home.
The effect is quite interesting as part of the image is still get loaded.Agh! Linux! Case-sensitive filenames! (added to troubleshootinf FAQ)

nielm
03-24-2007, 01:48 AM
well the webremote page is just static html and images: you can edit it yourself!Well I finally got around to changing this to my liking. I use my Pocket_PC as a remote when watching my Laptop on the Patio or in the hot tub.The next version will have a fuller web-remote thanks to ToonGal (as well as the compact one for small screens)

bcjenkins
03-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Now that I have figured out web browser plugins on the Mac, transcoding tv on the server, how does one transcode ripped DVDs? I'd love remote access to my collection whilst traveling.

B

Emok or Nielm, any way to feed the list of VOBs to the VLC player?

TIA

B

nielm
03-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Emok or Nielm, any way to feed the list of VOBs to the VLC player?Technically, yes it is possible, (actually you feed the directory to VLC and tell it that it is a DVD) but the webserver cannot do it (yet)

bcjenkins
03-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Thank you. Looking forward to this addition!

B

Neo
03-26-2007, 03:52 AM

Well, I have friends with 100/10 Mbps, and even 100/100 is available here :thumb: .

100/10 is available for about $45/month.

jamart3d
03-27-2007, 01:53 PM
I've noticed better transcoding when I start a stream from the web interface of
vlc or from cmd line, than what the webserver does.

when started from webserver some sections of the image are blocky, and never really recover.
where when started from the http interface or cmd line from vlc, no blockyness..

probably a bug in vlc

Also vlc doesn't respect the --one-instance arg when started from web server
but does when started from cmd line

transcode.properties
VlcOpts=-I http --http-host :8080 --high-priority --one-instance --no-sub-autodetect-file %LOCAL_PATH% \:sout\=\#transcode{vcodec\=%VIDEO_CODEC%,vb\=%VIDEO_BITRATE%,scale\=%SCALE%,acodec\=%AUDIO_CODEC%,ab\=%AUDIO_BITRATE%,channels\=2,threads\=2%DEINTERLACE%}\:duplicate{dst\=std{access\=http,mux\=%MUX%,dst\=%SERVERPORT%}}

transcodeMode/work/256\ kbps\ mpeg2=mode\=vlc&vc\=mp1v&vb\=256&ac\=mpga&ab\=64&scale\=.5&mux\=mpeg1&serverport\=1080

cmd from cmd line that works well..
"c:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" -I http --http-host :8080 --high-priority --one-instance --no-sub-autodetect-file "H:\sage\StarTrek-TheGalileoSeven-2757054-0.mpg" :sout="#transcode{vcodec=mp1v,vb=256,scale=0.5,acodec=mpga,ab=64,channels=1}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=mpeg1,dst=:1080}}"

any thoughts? anyone else see this behavior?

thanks...

emok
03-27-2007, 05:30 PM
I've noticed better transcoding when I start a stream from the web interface of
vlc or from cmd line, than what the webserver does.

when started from webserver some sections of the image are blocky, and never really recover.
where when started from the http interface or cmd line from vlc, no blockyness..

probably a bug in vlc

Also vlc doesn't respect the --one-instance arg when started from web server
but does when started from cmd line

transcode.properties
VlcOpts=-I http --http-host :8080 --high-priority --one-instance --no-sub-autodetect-file %LOCAL_PATH% \:sout\=\#transcode{vcodec\=%VIDEO_CODEC%,vb\=%VIDEO_BITRATE%,scale\=%SCALE%,acodec\=%AUDIO_CODEC%,ab\=%AUDIO_BITRATE%,channels\=2,threads\=2%DEINTERLACE%}\:duplicate{dst\=std{access\=http,mux\=%MUX%,dst\=%SERVERPORT%}}

transcodeMode/work/256\ kbps\ mpeg2=mode\=vlc&vc\=mp1v&vb\=256&ac\=mpga&ab\=64&scale\=.5&mux\=mpeg1&serverport\=1080

cmd from cmd line that works well..
"c:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" -I http --http-host :8080 --high-priority --one-instance --no-sub-autodetect-file "H:\sage\StarTrek-TheGalileoSeven-2757054-0.mpg" :sout="#transcode{vcodec=mp1v,vb=256,scale=0.5,acodec=mpga,ab=64,channels=1}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=mpeg1,dst=:1080}}"

any thoughts? anyone else see this behavior?

thanks...

I'm not sure about the "--one-instance" argument, but the blockiness you're seeing is most likely because the response from the webserver isn't buffered. I'm actually not seeing the issue you describe (maybe it's because my video quality expectations have already been lowered and I didn't really compare).

Basically, what's happening is vlc is being launched from java as a dos command and the webserver is taking the output from the vlc transcoding stream and writing it to the response that your vlc on the client machine is reading.

Request/Response flow:
VLC client --> Sage Webserver --> VLC "server"
VLC client <-- Sage Webserver <-- VLC "server"

The webserver is basically an extra hop between the vlc client and vlc "server" and there is no additional buffering going on. In addition, if the transcoding machine isn't powerful enough, it may not be able to keep up.

Perhaps a future release will have more intelligent buffering capabilities for this stream. Another option would be to have an "internal" mode which would allow the client to connect directly to the vlc process rather than going through the webserver.

E

Trouble
03-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Hello,
I've been using VLC and the webserver successfully for quite a while now. I used to be able to play back videos just fine in firefox. Now I am getting a screen with no video or sound and the buttons on the webpage do not appear to play pause or skip.

Since I last tried video playback, I've updated to Java SE 6, Firefox 2.0.0.3, and VLC 8.6a. I have version 5 of Sagetv installed, running on Windows XP.

I've used about:plugins in firefox and see VLC listed for the media files I expect.

Any ideas? If use firefox on the machine that has the webserver it works. However I want to use a different computer to watch the videos on.

Thanks in advance!

jamart3d
03-28-2007, 12:12 AM
I'm not sure about the "--one-instance" argument, but the blockiness you're seeing is most likely because the response from the webserver isn't buffered. I'm actually not seeing the issue you describe (maybe it's because my video quality expectations have already been lowered and I didn't really compare).

Basically, what's happening is vlc is being launched from java as a dos command and the webserver is taking the output from the vlc transcoding stream and writing it to the response that your vlc on the client machine is reading.

Request/Response flow:
VLC client --> Sage Webserver --> VLC "server"
VLC client <-- Sage Webserver <-- VLC "server"

The webserver is basically an extra hop between the vlc client and vlc "server" and there is no additional buffering going on. In addition, if the transcoding machine isn't powerful enough, it may not be able to keep up.

Perhaps a future release will have more intelligent buffering capabilities for this stream. Another option would be to have an "internal" mode which would allow the client to connect directly to the vlc process rather than going through the webserver.

E

Hi emok,

Thanks for the explanation, I noticed vlc client is requesting the websever
to start streaming... but i didn't think the webserver did the streaming.

On a different machine than the server,
when I compare vlc client logs of webserver -vs- vlc http streams:
I do get alot of "dropping buffer main warning" from a webserver stream,
but not from http/cmd line vlc stream.

--one-instance is an option to "force" only one running instance of vlc,
so the java dos cmd / vlc appears to be doing something different.

vlc transcoding from either webserver or http takes less than half of my servers cpu usage.

I'd like to have the time to muck with the webserver and get it to "internally" control vlc via one of vlc's interfaces, like embedding vlc http interface into streamingoptions page. But just don't have the time..

superthanks tho, emok :goodjob:

I should paypal at least a beer to you, and everyone else
who had anything to do with this very useful sage customization.

sundansx
03-28-2007, 01:00 AM
For those of you debugging problems, here is a handy method...

download sysinternals (now ms) process explorer:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx

open process explorer then start a streamed player via a client (can be local in loopback i presume).

Now right click on the sub-task called vlc.exe under SageTV or SageTVService and select properties.
In that dialog under the Image tab is the exact command line passed to vlc.exe

I have used this quite a bit in the past when launching stuff via php or perl.

nielm
03-28-2007, 01:01 AM
Ideally, the webserver should proxy to VLC's VOD service, and control it by it's telnet interface, but that is a bit more complicated :)

[edit]except that the VLM VOD interface hangs as soon as I add a VOD media item...

Trouble: you need to update VLC/the vlc plugin. They changed the name of the Mozilla plugin a few versions back (compare the case of the name of the about:plugins list with the one in player.html

Wheemer
03-28-2007, 01:04 AM
Could the webserver ever be linked to orb? I find that a very effective streaming program.

emok
03-28-2007, 01:09 AM
Hi emok,

Thanks for the explanation, I noticed vlc client is requesting the websever
to start streaming... but i didn't think the webserver did the streaming.

On a different machine than the server,
when I compare vlc client logs of webserver -vs- vlc http streams:
I do get alot of "dropping buffer main warning" from a webserver stream,
but not from http/cmd line vlc stream.

--one-instance is an option to "force" only one running instance of vlc,
so the java dos cmd / vlc appears to be doing something different.

vlc transcoding from either webserver or http takes less than half of my servers cpu usage.

I'd like to have the time to muck with the webserver and get it to "internally" control vlc via one of vlc's interfaces, like embedding vlc http interface into streamingoptions page. But just don't have the time..

superthanks tho, emok :goodjob:

I should paypal at least a beer to you, and everyone else
who had anything to do with this very useful sage customization.

haha... virtual beers are fine.

Actually, it's all Nielm. He's the glue that keeps everything together. He seems to spend countless hours on this stuff.

Regarding the one-instance option... if you specified this, would it potentially limit you to a single transcoded stream at once? I don't know how many servers would be able to handle transcoding two streams in realtime at the same time anyway.

I'll see if i can improve the buffer handling and add the ability to control the stream using vlc http interface in the next version.

E

nielm
03-28-2007, 03:11 AM
re one-instance. WMP transcodes require a minimum of 2 instances, because for some strange reason, it requests the stream, closes it, then reopens it, and the webserver/VLC is sometimes not quick enough to shutdown the first before the second starts.

The webserver's transcoding manager does limit the number of VLC instances internally...

He seems to spend countless hours on this stuff.the wife would agree, but not in a positive way :)

nielm
03-28-2007, 03:13 AM
For those of you debugging problems, here is a handy method...
[...]
Now right click on the sub-task called vlc.exe under SageTV or SageTVService and select properties.
In that dialog under the Image tab is the exact command line passed to vlc.exeeasier method: look at the webserver's logging :)

[edit] actually this applies to the not-yet-released 2.14 version - please ignore!

Jason
03-28-2007, 05:07 AM
Could the webserver ever be linked to orb? I find that a very effective streaming program.

It actually can... at least according to Orb.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=210234&postcount=1377

Here is the post on the Orb forums...

http://forums.orb.com/viewtopic.php?t=5919

If they can get the API finalized (working...) a simple command will allow anyone to use Orb's streaming from within another program...

-Jason

nielm
03-28-2007, 05:53 AM
Exactly right!

<A href="http://mycast.orb.com/orb/data/stream.asx?q=path.filename="BattlestarGalactica-Rapture-4960918-0.mpg">http://mycast.orb.com/orb/data/stream.asx?q=path.filename="BattlestarGalactica-Rapture-4960918-0.mpg"

This will stream the file, based on a filename query... Yohan from Orb said basically the same as you... unfortunately it is not working for me.

If this can ever work, then a simple link from within the WebServer will utilize Orb as the streaming server...

-Jason
I had a quick look at the API doc... the search does work, provided you have an active session, but the format is a little odd..

To search for all video files (outputting all path info in the result)

https://mycast.orb.com/orb/xml/search?q=mediaType%3dvideo.file&fields=fileName,path.filename,path.extension,path.root,path.directory,path

To search for a specific file:
E:\Video\Movies\Fugitive.avi
you cannot search on a real path, but you can search on the filename only (not including the extension (%3D='=', %22='"', %20=' ')
giving:

https://mycast.orb.com/orb/xml/search?q=mediaType%3dvideo.file%20path.filename%3D%22fugitive%22&fields=fileName,path.filename,path.extension,path.root,path.directory,path

So, to generate ORB links, the webserver will have to know your ORB username/pass to be able to log onto your ORB account.

It then searches for the path.filename, and matches the full path in the results to get the medium ID

Once it has got the medium ID, the webserver can create streaming playlist links using the mediumID in the results

http://mycast.orb.com/orb/data/stream.asx?mediumId={mediumID}
http://mycast.orb.com/orb/data/stream.rm?mediumId={mediumID}

Note that if accessed directly, this will delay the detailed info servlet, as it has to access orb. Probably the best option is another OrbHandlerServlet linked in the detailed info servlet that

prompts for user/pass (via HTTP auth)
logs on to ORB
searches for mediumID
redirects to Orb's playlist.

Note that I am not going to implement this :) Someone else is welcome to do so, and I will integrate it :)

However, there is a quick and dirty method, at least in the current version of ORB.
First open ORB's non Ajax 'Home theater' or 'Mobile' interface by using the URL below:
https://mycast.orb.com/orb/html/index.html?format=hometheatre

Then use this interface's search URL to search for the vid (append the filename to search without file extension)

https://mycast.orb.com/orb/html/video/search.html?title=video+Results&mediaType=video&goBack=3&start=0&search=Search&query=

Provided you have Sages' video paths in Orb, you should have a search result...

To switch back to orb's PC interface, use the Settings, or this URL
https://mycast.orb.com/orb/html/index.html?format=PC

I will put a link in the Streaming box with these links in the next version. Quick+dirty, but it may works.

(PS: Orbs transcoding is very hard on the CPU?!)

Trouble
03-28-2007, 11:18 PM
Ideally, the webserver should proxy to VLC's VOD service, and control it by it's telnet interface, but that is a bit more complicated :)

[edit]except that the VLM VOD interface hangs as soon as I add a VOD media item...

Trouble: you need to update VLC/the vlc plugin. They changed the name of the Mozilla plugin a few versions back (compare the case of the name of the about:plugins list with the one in player.html

nielm, I've got a bit farther. Now I see a black screen with the text [no video].
Any other ideas? I checked the case of the strings that I found with VLC. I did notice that there are no file types associated with vlc in the plugins listiing. It used to have that before I re-installed vlc.

Thanks in advance.

Jason
03-29-2007, 05:41 AM
I had a quick look at the API doc...

Quite different... eh? :-)

So, to generate ORB links, the webserver will have to know your ORB username/pass to be able to log onto your ORB account.

It then searches for the path.filename, and matches the full path in the results to get the medium ID

Once it has got the medium ID, the webserver can create streaming playlist links using the mediumID in the results

Actually, it is now (after they got back with me...) much easier. If you know the name of the file, you can stream based on that, ala...

http://mycast.orb.com/orb/data/stream.asx?q=path.filename="BattlestarGalactica-Rapture-4960918-0"

The difference from previous is that Orb does not need the ending file format... in this case ".mpg".

You are right that Orb does need to have an active session or the user/pass needs to be sent, but that is accomplished by the "u=username" and "p=password" prepends.

The xml/search API always requires a valid session, even to search public shared lists. However the xml/rss doesn't require a session.

I will put a link in the Streaming box with these links in the next version. Quick+dirty, but it may works.

(PS: Orbs transcoding is very hard on the CPU?!)

With this, the requirement of having/searching/knowing the mediumid is not required anymore and having a simple link with the filename can start a stream...

Here is the post from yohan (orb) clarifying this for me...

http://forums.orb.com/viewtopic.php?t=5919

-Jason

nielm
03-29-2007, 11:00 AM
v 2.14 29/Mar/2007 (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=108108&package_id=153357&release_id=497316)
BUGFIXES
* Transcoding now works on segmented files
* better logging for transcoder
* Quotes paths in transcode.properties

ENHANCEMENTS
* added ToonGal's Full webremote (and ability to switch between them)
* added ability to name extenders using 'extenders.properties' file
* (paused) indication on Home screen for paused playback
* added link to search for file on Orb / stream file via ORB
* basic streamed DVD transcoding added (only title 1 with the default audio track)

rickgillyon
03-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Wow, that was quick! Thanks, will give it a try tomorrow. :clap:

bcjenkins
03-29-2007, 12:59 PM
v 2.14 29/Mar/2007 (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=108108&package_id=153357&release_id=497316)
BUGFIXES
* Transcoding now works on segmented files
* better logging for transcoder
* Quotes paths in transcode.properties

ENHANCEMENTS
* added ToonGal's Full webremote (and ability to switch between them)
* added ability to name extenders using 'extenders.properties' file
* (paused) indication on Home screen for paused playback
* added link to search for file on Orb / stream file via ORB
* basic streamed DVD transcoding added (only title 1 with the default audio track)

yeah! just in time to go on vacation.. Now I can stream DVDs at the inlaws

dpackham
03-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Can you customize the the Web UI guides to show which shows are recorded in HD? maybe by showing the HD icon like the full guide does?

Dave P

jreichen
03-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Can you customize the the Web UI guides to show which shows are recorded in HD? maybe by showing the HD icon like the full guide does?

Dave PClick the Show Options link at the bottom of the page to display options for the guide. One of the options is to show HD markers.

bcjenkins
03-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Using the DVD playback, I am only able to get a few of the profiles to work.

I am at the inlaws, here's the speedtest.

Current Throughput
KiloBits/Sec : 709.2
KiloBytes/Sec : 88.7

The profiles which work are:

# 128kbit deinterlaced quarter-res

* [Play in Web-player]
* Play in External Player: [wvx] [m3u] [pls]

# 256kbit deinterlaced third-res

* [Play in Web-player]

# 352kbit deinterlaced third-res

* [Play in Web-player]

If I play

# 480kbit deinterlaced half-res

* [Play in Web-player]

I get a strip of video in the web browser window and audio. I would like to bump up the bits to clean up the picture.

Any suggestions? I am using the VLC plugin on OS X.

B