SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Sage Icon

WHAT'S LEFT

I plan to share one more post which will be mostly about what TiVo can't do or not as good as Sage TV.

After that I will take this topic (and other related things) to a new blog. More to follow soon.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:06 PM
Sage Icon

So, what's left.

What do I miss after not using SageTV anymore? What is it that TiVo can't do? That's actually quite a tough one, much more difficult to articulate than I thought it would be.

There's a number of features that we never used - the most important one being comskip I would think. There's a whole host of things we never used - like Phoenix, Diamond and whatnot. We started using SageMC when it came out and never looked back. After all it was just a system to record stuff, right?

It wasn't a hobby - it was a solution - and when something stopped working I certainly did not look forward to *playing* with it to get it working again which actually did not happen that often thankfully.

So, after two (uneventful) month of using TiVo I can tell you that I don't care about whatever I lost when I stopped using Sage. I'm rather thinking about the advantages that TiVo has over SageTV.

I have three TiVo Minis now - one of them in the office, connected to a monitor next to my main machine, and I use it to manage the Roamio, like I used to use a windows client (in a VM) to manage SageTV which works better than that increasingly flaky client.

I really enjoy the fabulous iOS app that TiVo provides and the most recent upgrades to the TiVo Mini. Out of home streaming was also rolled out recently. I don't think I have much use for it, though - but it's available now for unprotected content. My family really likes the the Netflix integration (and uses it quite a bit).

We have used and enjoyed SageTV for more than eight years, but that was it.

Over and out.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm thinking about looking about taking a serious look at TIVO's solution after fighting with a Silicondust Prime and Sage for the past few weeks. I just can't get it to be reliable.

One things I really dislike about Tivo's solution is the monthly fees for the Tivo Minis as well as the main box. Just seems like they are nickel and diming you.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

I left Sage TV about a year ago for MCE because of the lack of support and my aging Sage setup. I thought the CETON extender was going to be the next best thing but as it turns out they have abandoned it because Microsoft pulled the plug on compatibility in Win 8. It has been OK but my wife just hates it when we get a minor decoder error or other little glitches.
So now we are looking at moving on to the Tivo solution but and it is a big but.I just don't like being locked into the monthly Tivo fees any more then the cable rental fees. I have to really look at the long term costs of maintaining a Sage or Mce solution vs the bad taste i get at paying monthly fees.

If not for the fees I would jump at the Tivo solution even the lifetime subscription fees are more than I am comfort able with given that all things tech change and lifetimes can turn out to be shorter than expected.

So I have come full circle but this thread has given me some more to think about.
Seasonic S-12 380w, NEC 3520a Onboard SoundStorm S/PDIF out
WD-Caviar 120GB IDE (System) Seagate (3) Baracuda 250GB sata (Pooled)
GF-7600gs Forceware 93.71 Nvida-Decoder V.4.02.223HDHR-Prime 3-Digital Fios ,HDhomeRun-Qam/FIOS
Clients:GA-MA78GM-S2H -AMD 4800- Sage TV Client-FireFly Remote - Amd x2 Turino LAPTOP - HD-100 + MVP Client DVR Verizon Fios/ B]
Old 11-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Sage Icon

Here's the thread capturing the current debate in the TiVo community about this.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=510522

The bottom-line: TiVo is expanding their product line by introducing the Mini but as a publicly traded company they can't afford to have their subscriber numbers drop sharply.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:41 AM
Sage Icon

I think it is a fine solution, but I too can't stomache paying the monthly or lifetime subscription. its just to much for me. Tivo Roamio OTA version and 3 minis.. id be at like 1k plus for all the gear and subscriptions :-/

ill stick with what im using for now. :-) its sad though cause i do like the new roamio.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
I think it is a fine solution, but I too can't stomache paying the monthly or lifetime subscription. its just to much for me. Tivo Roamio OTA version and 3 minis.. id be at like 1k plus for all the gear and subscriptions :-/

I think even with the monthly subscription it's really not more expensive than Sage. If I think about all the money I have spent on a computer compete with constant hard drive upgrades and replacements, I can't imagine TiVo will be more expensive.

Seems to me people are sometimes quite irrational about "paying a monthly fee". They will willingly pay a grand for PC hardware and networking gear yet balk at paying $50 per month. In the long run I bet the TiVo is cheaper, at least for me.

Sage was never about being the cheapest. It was about being reliable and totally configurable.

Just my 2 cents.

Sage Server: ASUS/Intel C2D based system w/4GB RAM. WinXP Home, Hauppauge PVR 150, Hauppauge HVR-2250 and an HDHR. Runs headless. Accessed via VNC when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Basic vs Plus or Pro $

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
Here's the thread capturing the current debate in the TiVo community about this.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=510522

The bottom-line: TiVo is expanding their product line by introducing the Mini but as a publicly traded company they can't afford to have their subscriber numbers drop sharply.
Flavius,

First thanks for sharing your experience.This is very useful information and its nice to here it from a fellow past Sage users experience.

I have a question though. I see the main difference between a basic Roimio and the plus or Pro is. one hard drive space that is upgradable easily in all of them for a nominal cost then the Plus and pro both have 6 tuners vs 4 on the basic 7 last the plus and pro both have built in streaming which as i see it only works on apple devices !

Assuming i only really need 4 tuners and would upgrade a basic with my own 2 or 3 gig hard drive and I do not own any apple devices what would I gain buy paying and extra $200-$400 for a plus or pro ?

I am trying to sell this idea to my Wife and the upfront costs are a sticking point. She is sort of OK with the Basic of $199 & a Mini @ $99 but kinda draws the limit there. I am kinda inclined to go with a plus as it would be a little more future proof and i might someday go over to the dark side ( apple ) .

I could probably get more opinions over on the Tivo forums but they are somewhat biased . IMHO
Seasonic S-12 380w, NEC 3520a Onboard SoundStorm S/PDIF out
WD-Caviar 120GB IDE (System) Seagate (3) Baracuda 250GB sata (Pooled)
GF-7600gs Forceware 93.71 Nvida-Decoder V.4.02.223HDHR-Prime 3-Digital Fios ,HDhomeRun-Qam/FIOS
Clients:GA-MA78GM-S2H -AMD 4800- Sage TV Client-FireFly Remote - Amd x2 Turino LAPTOP - HD-100 + MVP Client DVR Verizon Fios/ B]
Old 11-04-2013, 11:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SHS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I think even with the monthly subscription it's really not more expensive than Sage. If I think about all the money I have spent on a computer compete with constant hard drive upgrades and replacements, I can't imagine TiVo will be more expensive.

Seems to me people are sometimes quite irrational about "paying a monthly fee". They will willingly pay a grand for PC hardware and networking gear yet balk at paying $50 per month. In the long run I bet the TiVo is cheaper, at least for me.

Sage was never about being the cheapest. It was about being reliable and totally configurable.

Just my 2 cents.
Did you for get that with TiVo it become paper weight if they go out of business unlike PC hardware which can be reuse in other area and we have more option.
Did you all forget that the so Called Lifetime is 100% Joke keep in mind that when your TiVo warranty is up your SOL you have buy all over again and can not transferred you lifetime to another DVR.
Yes the way I see it massive rip off when come there Tivo mini
Read
Monthly:
New TiVo Roamio and Premiere DVRs: $14.99/month* with a 1-year commitment and a $75 early termination fee.
Previously activated TiVo Roamio or Premiere DVRs: $14.99/month* with a 1-year commitment and a $15 early termination fee, or $19.99/month* with no commitment.
TiVo Mini: $5.99/month with a 1-year commitment and a $25 early termination fee.
Product Lifetime:
All TiVo Roamio and Premiere DVRs: a one-time payment of $499.99.
TiVo Mini: a one-time payment of $149.99.

If I had seen this I would told them to go fly a @#@$%kite over this 1-year commitment and early termination BS fee which they have no right to do so we are not leasing there crap.

Simple.tv STV2-2US new DVR is petty cool and there the Silicon Dust HDTC4-2US but it only a Dual Tuner
What was need is 2/4/8 tuner version with ATSC/QAM/Cable Card Support and I love see eSATA 2/4/8 Bay External Enclosure option NoN Raid
The problem I have with those lack supporting on major media which min of us have Picture, Music/Audio, Movie/Video
Old 11-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Simple.tv STV2-2US new DVR is petty cool and there the Silicon Dust HDTC4-2US but it only a Dual Tuner
What was need is 2/4/8 tuner version with ATSC/QAM/Cable Card Support and I love see eSATA 2/4/8 Bay External Enclosure option NoN Raid
The problem I have with those lack supporting on major media which min of us have Picture, Music/Audio, Movie/Video
Simple.tv and Plex on the roku / IOS / web have been quite awesome for my household thus far.

still using a sage backend to capture shows. current simple.tv is single tuner and just not enough. once the dual tuner comes out Ill be turning the sage server off.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Did you for get that with TiVo it become paper weight if they go out of business unlike PC hardware which can be reuse in other area and we have more option.
Yeah. Only the company that is out of business is Sage, not TiVo. What does that tell you?
Old 11-06-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Yeah. Only the company that is out of business is Sage, not TiVo. What does that tell you?
They didn't go out business it just sold off to Google and that diff to what I said and with Google history of open source there software there good that SageTV maybe become an Open Source Project.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

You never really answered on the ripped content? Is there an avenue for that? Did there app work well?

I switched about a yr ago to 7MC, and never looked back. Lots of WAF with my setup. Tivo is a nice embedded device which has it's appeal, except for the local content. 7MC handles that very nicely.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
They didn't go out business it just sold off to Google and that diff to what I said and with Google history of open source there software there good that SageTV maybe become an Open Source Project.
Where is the company SageTV? Where are the products that SageTV used to sell?
The company has ceased to exist and the products that SageTV used to sell are no longer available for purchase.

I'm wondering what king of reality you have chosen to live in. It clearly is not based on facts.

Let me say, though, that I agree with you that open-sourcing SageTV would be a good idea in the eyes of SageTV users.

It's a pipe dream, though. The sooner you wake up from your delusion the better.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Where is the company SageTV? Where are the products that SageTV used to sell?
The company has ceased to exist and the products that SageTV used to sell are no longer available for purchase.

I'm wondering what king of reality you have chosen to live in. It clearly is not based on facts.

Let me say, though, that I agree with you that open-sourcing SageTV would be a good idea in the eyes of SageTV users.

It's a pipe dream, though. The sooner you wake up from your delusion the better.
Where is the company SageTV? = Google Fiber TV
You should lean the diff from going out of business vs selling off a business.
QUOTE I said (TiVo it become paper weight if they go out of business)
Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
You should lean the diff from going out of business vs selling off a business.
Ok. I'll give up. I'm heading to the Google store now to buy some fresh licenses & HD300's.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ok. I'll give up. I'm heading to the Google store now to buy some fresh licenses & HD300's.
LMAO I could not agree with you more ... Sage is almost Dead holding on by a thread because loyal users and users that invested in their equipment. I would not Invest one more dime to be able to use SAGETV not worth it. By the time Google fiber hits my area I will be enjoying Heaven or hell fiber on the other side..
Acer AM3910-UR10P Intel Core i3-540 3.06GHz Desktop, Windows 8.1 Pro. 64bit, 3 HdHomerun units(OTA Tuners) , 2 HD Homerun Prime using SageDCT (6 Tuners), for a total of 12 HD Tuners , LinkSYS 16 port Gigabyte Switch.
D-link 857 Router
Server: Sage TV 7
4 clients: SageClient TV 7
Launch mame and emulator games from Sage Game Menu Item Creator

Last edited by nyplayer; 11-07-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Sage Icon

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1000
Old 11-07-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
That wasn't the point mr. smart a

Last edited by SHS; 11-08-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
Simple.tv and Plex on the roku / IOS / web have been quite awesome for my household thus far.

still using a sage backend to capture shows. current simple.tv is single tuner and just not enough. once the dual tuner comes out Ill be turning the sage server off.
Simple.tv sounded good until I saw that they don't support Dolby Digital audio which is a shame.