Forum Terms of Service
In addition to the rules that have been listed (below), SageTV has now listed a more complete Terms of Service (TOS) for all forum members. The full TOS can be viewed here
The rules and suggestions listed below are an abbreviated version of the TOS.
Note: Discussion of the rules can be found here.
SageTV Forum Rules
In order to keep this forum useful for SageTV users and prospective customers, please abide by the following rules when using this forum:
- Debating a subject is fine, but try to remain civil. Resorting to insults, personal attacks, swearing, and general rudeness will not be tolerated. Offensive posts may be edited or deleted without notice.
- Please post in the proper forum section. Remember: the entire forum is about SageTV and SageTV LLC's products, so not all SageTV questions belong in the SageTV Software forum. Threads may be moved to a more appropriate forum, so if you don’t see a thread you started in one forum, check the other forums or use the “New Posts” option near the top of the page. If a post was moved, do not repost it in the original location.
- Do not post the same question in multiple threads. Post your question once, and it will be visible to anyone using the “New Posts” option. Duplicate posts may be deleted.
- Any discussion around violation of copyrights will be immediately closed and deleted. This includes TV, Music, Software, etc and the sharing of those files with other users. Likewise, any discussion around using technology that is illegal here in the United States to break CSS encryption for DVDs or other forms of content protection will also be deleted. Discussion of CD and DVD ripping will be allowed as long as it's in reference to discs without encryption that are being ripped for personal fair use as allowed by the law.
- Spam, advertising, and troll posts will be deleted. (An interesting commentary on trolls can be found here.) Please do not argue with such posts.
- All rules regarding post content also apply to signature lines. Please don't make signature lines so large and distracting that they become the main visual focus of your posts. Specifically, all signatures should not exceed the following size limits:
- Signatures can be text or an image, but should not contain both.
- For text signatures: 6 lines normal size or 8 lines small size. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines and wrapped lines count as lines.)
- Do not use images with large text to bypass the previous item.
- For an image in signatures: 1 image up to 300 pixels wide, 125 pixels tall and 20k in size.
- Distracting fonts and animated images in sigs are not allowed.
- "Disruptive posts", as defined in the Terms of Service, may be edited or removed, as needed. This includes, but is not limited to: posting the same info in multiple topics, creating wide posts that require scrolling the browser sideways to read the content (use links to wide images or resize them before posting them inline in a post), quoting all of a very long post (just quote the relevant part), etc.
- "For Sale" and offers to buy or trade posts are not allowed and will be removed, except for those relating to SageTV hardware and/or software, as allowed by the Terms of Service and posted in the SageTV Marketplace subforum.
- Each forum member is limited to a single forum account. Additional accounts may be merged or deleted, leaving the user with one account. (If you want to change the user name for an account, contact a forum administrator.)
- These rules cannot cover everything that may possibly occur. Forum administration will make decisions as events warrant, and any action may be taken to keep the forum useful for the other members.
Forum administration (administrators and moderators) decisions are final. As a last resort, users who cannot stay within these rules may be banned.
Forum Usage Suggestions
This is a user to user forum; it is not an official form of technical support from SageTV, LLC. Other users might be able to help solve your problem very quickly, but if you need tech support, file a support request
Don't forget that other forum members are volunteering their time to answer questions and help other users. So, please be considerate: doing a little research and providing detailed information can help others offer suggestions:
- Read the forum’s FAQ thread and check the support site’s Troubleshooting FAQ. Also, there is a manual in your SageTV directory, in PDF format, which is viewable using Adobe Reader.
- Use a descriptive title for a new thread. Something like “Help” or “Question” doesn’t provide much information to draw the attention of someone who might know the answer. If you find that you made a mistake in the title and need it changed, please contact an administrator or moderator.
- While this doesn’t happen too often, POSTING IN ALL CAPS IS CONSIDERED YELLING. Proper usage of mixed upper-case and lower-case text makes the message easier for others to read.
- Check some of the recent discussions to see if your question has already been answered. Additionally, there are tools to search the entire forum or within a single thread. To search a specific thread, view that thread and choose “Search this Thread”.
- As mentioned in rule #2: post your question in the proper forum. In fact, if you go to the proper forum, you may find that the answer already exists (suggestion C).
- When registering, please provide your location as part of your profile. Knowing your location can help others solve your problem, especially if you are located outside the US and you are having EPG or PAL problems.
If you have any questions, problems, or suggestions regarding the forum, please contact an administrator or moderator.
Note: Discussion of the rules can be found here.
Thank you for your help in making the SageTV forum a great resource!