SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Complete config back up - how to?

Hey all working on setting up a new sageTV install and want to try the SageMC... and well actually was thinking I outta know how to back up my sage setup. Not the videos... the 'how it works and looks' parts ... Wiz.bin contains info on all my recordings correct? is it nothing else? and is Sage.Properties my settings. and the STV or XML file the 'look'? So with just three files I can entirely back-up my sage 'configuration'??

From the FAQ i see:

1. Go to your SageTV directory, usually "C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV".
2. Once there make a copy of each the following 3 files and place it in a backup directory(any directory you can easily find).
"Wiz.bin" "Wiz.bak" "Sage.properties".
(Or just make a complete backup of your entire SageTV installation directory.)
3. Now that you have backed up these files you will be able to restore your "Favorites" and all your personal SageTV settings if something should go wrong.
4. Now you just do the same as suggested in method #2.

If you used method #3 and something did go wrong with your upgrade you can now restore your previous version of SageTV. You can do this by...

1. Uninstalling the failed upgrade. (You should know how to do this from above)
2. Reinstall your older version of SageTV. Note: I suggest you always keep the previous SageTV setup file until you are sure you are happy with the newer version.
3. Then delete the "Wiz.bin" "Wiz.bak" and "Sage.properties" files from your SageTV folder. Make sure you don't delete you backups by mistake.
4. Copy your backups of the "Wiz.bin" "Wiz.bak" and "Sage.properties" files to your SageTV directory.
5. Reboot and restart SageTV and you should be back to your old version.

If I do this and back up the STV files am I all set?
Old 01-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to Fastrack
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzominator View Post
Hey all working on setting up a new sageTV install and want to try the SageMC... and well actually was thinking I outta know how to back up my sage setup. Not the videos... the 'how it works and looks' parts ... Wiz.bin contains info on all my recordings correct? is it nothing else? and is Sage.Properties my settings. and the STV or XML file the 'look'? So with just three files I can entirely back-up my sage 'configuration'??

From the FAQ i see:

1. Go to your SageTV directory, usually "C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV".
2. Once there make a copy of each the following 3 files and place it in a backup directory(any directory you can easily find).
"Wiz.bin" "Wiz.bak" "Sage.properties".
(Or just make a complete backup of your entire SageTV installation directory.)
3. Now that you have backed up these files you will be able to restore your "Favorites" and all your personal SageTV settings if something should go wrong.
4. Now you just do the same as suggested in method #2.

If you used method #3 and something did go wrong with your upgrade you can now restore your previous version of SageTV. You can do this by...

1. Uninstalling the failed upgrade. (You should know how to do this from above)
2. Reinstall your older version of SageTV. Note: I suggest you always keep the previous SageTV setup file until you are sure you are happy with the newer version.
3. Then delete the "Wiz.bin" "Wiz.bak" and "Sage.properties" files from your SageTV folder. Make sure you don't delete you backups by mistake.
4. Copy your backups of the "Wiz.bin" "Wiz.bak" and "Sage.properties" files to your SageTV directory.
5. Reboot and restart SageTV and you should be back to your old version.

If I do this and back up the STV files am I all set?
Personally I backup the entire Sage directory before doing a major upgrade. As all your imported STVi's will be restored etc.. REmember if you go to a new machine make sure you have all the drives / directories configured in which sage knows about or your recordings could disappear (The recordings do not have to be in the same directories as they were previously just in a directory which Sage knows about).

Also don't forget about SageClient.Properties if you use the SageTV Service.

Win.bak is the previous version that Sage backs up when it starts so it's always a good idea to back that one up (as you noted above)
Tuners: HDHomeRun v1, Hauppauge HVR1600
Video: BenQ W5000 1080p, ASUS ATI 6670
Storage (10TB): Seagate 2TB, Hitachi Coolspin 2TB x 4 Data Drives + 2TB x 2 Parity Drives using FlexRaid 2.0 (RAID6 T2+)
SageTV: 7.1.9 Final ?
Old 01-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

I backup the entire Sage directory every night automatically...that way I've got pretty close to the latest config regardless of what might happen. There's only one file that fails regularly, but I don't believe it to be an important one...some "lock" type file that seems to have a backup that does get grabbed.
Media Server / NAS:
Case: Thermaltake Armor CPU: AMD Opteron 1218 (2.6GHz Dual Core) Motherboard: ASUS MN2-LR Memory: 2GB Gfx Card: Headless Tuner: Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge PVR-350 (not in use) O/S: Windows 7 Sage: Latest RAID: On-Board Drives: 6 x 1.5TB SATA RAID-5, 2 x 80GB IDE RAID-1 (O/S) Storage: 7.5TB Total
Old 01-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

OK - Knowing that EVERTHING about sage is in the sage program directory... I suppose backing up the whole shebang is not a bad way to go. Thanks to all at the Sage Forums as always.