SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Customizations > SageTV Customizations

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:18 AM
Sage User

Thoughts on better community documentation

Hopefully the fact that I'm up until 6AM writing this hasn't compromised my clarity, though I fear brevity has left the building.

I've been brainstorming on this for the past 3 days, and after reading about SWKerr expressing a similar desire, I figured I should write out my ideas and see where it went (this started as a reply to that thread before I figured it deserved its own, hence why I may reference it as if you've already read it)

I think *we* need to do this, not Sage (as was suggested in the linked thread). These are community mods, we're the ones making them, using them and (ideally) documenting them. Sage doesn't offer support on these and I highly doubt they want to take on a real documentation effort beyond the simple listings that they do (which I'm sure already take enough time). We'll get a better result by not pulling their resources away from developing and documenting SageTV itself.

Anyway, as I said, I've been brainstorming on this and have started laying out a common interface that would build off of the current info contained in these forums but that is almost completely inaccessible to all but the most dedicated. Many of my main ideas are almost identical to those laid out by SWKerr.

Anyway, I wrote a whole mission statement of sorts when I started thinking about this:

We're all here because we believe Sage has the most potential of the available media software, but it's often difficult to realize that potential. We need to establish community endorsed projects and methods, standardize and simplify documentation, enable more accessible issue tracking, and basically dissemble the collective knowledge contained in a 50 page thread and refactor it into an easily consumed interface.

What I have in mind is a completely separate web site that is not unlike the Firefox Extensions page but is focused around the particular use cases for SageTV. I have lots of ideas for how this might work without drastically altering the current modus operandi for the forums here or making developers learn a whole new system rather than just continue developing, but a key component is to focus on better organization and simple descriptions that don't rely on prior knowledge, and to make all documentation a community effort as much as possible.

That's all fairly vague, so here's something concrete: I've created a Google Docs spreadsheet as a kind of data-map to show what information I want to capture and how I feel it should be organized in at least a semi-visual way. The worksheet tabs along the bottom correspond to page tabs per project.

Take a look.

I'm jumping into this by grabbing a community endorsed project (BMT) and organizing the available information as best I can into the groups provided in the spreadsheet (it happened to be the top thread of prodigious size before being moved into its own sub forum). This is a particularly good project to start with because stuckless has done an excellent job of documenting his project on Google Code so that it's accessible to the average Sage user with a little mod experience and a little time to explore (me), but could be vastly improved for general accessibility with a few more screenshots and really short and to the point description, as well as an improved interface to locate them (things I can provide).

So, what do I want from you?

1) Do you agree there is a problem with the current system that keeps these community mods from being more generally used and accessible?

2) How willing are you to put in your own time to improve documentation and organization for your own or someone else's project?

Feel free to add any ideas that you may have, and I've got plenty more specific ideas of my own. I know that this is a project well beyond the limits of my time, good work is being done at a far greater pace than I can hope to keep up with on my own. Ultimately, the goal here is simple. We want to showcase the work being done here. Right now that's not being done. Help me figure out the best way to do it.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Sage User

Well, I clearly failed to light any fires here, which is OK since I basically came with an idea and a twinkle in my eye.

If you just didn't feel like reading that whole thing, here's a quick run down:

a) Community documentation and troubleshooting needs an upgrade
b) the current system should be disrupted as little as possible
c) I'm moving on it and will hopefully have something more substantial to show you soon.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:11 AM
SageTVaholic

There have been at least three other threads on a similar theme in recent weeks:

Users / Add-ons / Problems / SageTV [rant]
Start a Wiki?
Appeal to forum admin!

So I don't think it's a case of nobody cares, but more that the people who do care are all heading off in different directions.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
There have been at least three other threads on a similar theme in recent weeks:
Which kinda point back to the issue that people can't be bothered to read what already exist...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 05-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Sage User

Quote:

Users / Add-ons / Problems / SageTV [rant]
Start a Wiki?
Appeal to forum admin!
Thanks for those, maybe I can work at organizing this effort a little better.

Quote:
Which kinda point back to the issue that people can't be bothered to read what already exist...
I think it rather points out that unless you spend a significant amount of time on this board, the amount of information is overwhelming. But I admit that I didn't do a search to see what else was out there, I just had this stuff rolling around in my head, then I saw the thread that I linked in the OP and it set me off.