SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Customizations > SageTV Customizations

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Sage User

Girder & SageTV

I know this has been hashed around quite a bit, but.... from the FAQ

Quote:
Does SageTV support the use of Girder?
Yes, SageTV fully supports the use of Girder to control the SageTV application. SageTV also supports the use of Girder's event plug-in to control an external set-top box or IR receiver. A plugin for control of SageTV is available here.
Is this still true? Or is this a leftover fragment of earlier aspirations?

Due to the topology of my HTPC/network, I need to (would like to) use Girder to control various pieces of the system, and I currently have SageTV in two locations (different rooms). I would love to seamlessly integrate the two. It appears that this has been done in the past, but all links seem to be broken. Is this a no-go? Or is there a better solution that is already integrated with Sage?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have used Girder for many years. I HAVE NOT upgraded to V7 yet (if it ain't broke...) but don't expect a problem. I use XP, too, so I can't speak to Win7 interactions. I love the flexibility of Girder! Some of the commands are implemented as ghost keystrokes and others are windows commands. Everything works. It just works.

Good luck!
--John
Old 04-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Sage User

John,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a long time Girder user too. I guess my question was more "Does SageTV support the use of Girder? ". And "SageTV also supports the use of Girder's event plug-in to control an external set-top box or IR receiver.". How is this done? Are you using a Girder event plug-in for SageTV?

Thx,
Old 04-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Sage Icon

According to the SageTv manual, they support custom commands which can be mapped... So maybe you can have Custom1 trigger a Girder action or something...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 07-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Sage User

Girder does work as far as I know, but I haven't used it in a few years since it was bought out by another company (sound familiar?) and was no longer free.

If you're willing to explore other options, EventGhost is an excellent open-source project that can do everything I used to do with Girder. It even has SageTV support built-in so you don't have to manually set up all the events.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Honestly, Girder is still worth the purchase price. It can really do pretty much everything. The ONLY thing I don't like about it is that it can no longer detect a request to sleep the computer (to perform pre-sleep actions) - but this is a win7 issue, and not a girder one (win7 no longer asks programs if it is okay to sleep, it just does it no matter what).
Other Clients: Phenom II X2 545 w/8GB and HD6670 in Master Bedroom, HD200 in kids play room