SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 02-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Sage Expert

Sage Client and Comskip

I am sure this has been discussed somewhere, but I couldn't find it for the life of me. I tried "comskip client", "commercial client", etc. Anyway, just a quick question: How do I get comskip values to be seen by the client? I have it setup so that comskip runs on the server but, when I play shows on the client, there are no comskip values in the OSD playing bar and, well, commercials are not skipped. I am using Cayar's STV 17 on both server and client. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2005, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Same question in the Cayars thread from earlier in the evening is here. Short answer: the client has to see the comskip files as if they were 'local', in the same location as the path to the recording. Usually, this means using UNC paths for your Video Dirs in Detailed Setup.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:04 AM
Sage Expert

Thanks Opus4! Doh, I should've started at the end instead of the begining. I made it to around page 40 skimming through posts but had to give up. Its like reading a book . Is there was a way for search to pull up the actual page of a thread that the hit is on?
Old 02-10-2005, 04:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

I had this problem. I set up my directories as unc paths no go. I set up as mapped drives no go. With the mapped drives I browsed for the directories even know they were entered correctly already after that they worked and I found out they where seeing the drives on the server machine not the drives I mapped. Hope this helps.

Bones71
Old 02-10-2005, 07:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

lol, at least I know I am not just a bone head and someone else is having the problem.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkshadow
I should've started at the end instead of the begining. I made it to around page 40 skimming through posts but had to give up. Its like reading a book . Is there was a way for search to pull up the actual page of a thread that the hit is on?
At the top of the first post is a "Search this thread" option, which will return links to specific posts.

I just happened to post a link to a recent question I had seen about the same thing. It was also discussed in the Comskip thread -- there's a link to it in the customizations index sticky for this forum.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:52 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks all! I changed my recorded drive using UNC paths so we'll see how it goes. Will only newly comskipped shows work or should it work retroactively?

@bones71: Thanks for that tip! I have a quick question for you.

Quote:
With the mapped drives I browsed for the directories even know they were entered correctly already after that they worked and I found out they where seeing the drives on the server machine not the drives I mapped.
How did you set this up to get it working correctly? Thanks alot!

Last edited by silkshadow; 02-11-2005 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:53 AM
SageTVaholic

You're better off using UNC paths. \\ServerName\Directory. For my setup the drive is mapped like this: \\Frontroom\data (d)\SageTV. That way you never have the drive letter issue you are having now.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:00 AM
Sage Expert

Thanks gplasky! Looks like its working with the UNC path. I just recorded a show, sic'ed comskip at it and I can see the skips on the client. Guess it only works with new recordings. Will cross my fingers that it continues to work.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

First I set up unc paths on the server in properties changed video directory to //sagetv-server/f/videos. Started the client and went to video directory it was already changed to the same. ( weird I thought) Tried playing a file that I knew was comskipped no purple bars. tried to select comskip the file manually on client took 1 second said found 1 commercial still didn't show any gave up for a while. on the server I went to watch an imported show it showed 2 for everything and didn't give me an option to play. Then I tried to restore sage properties wiz.bin still the import file problem. (thought I was gonna have to start over and I didn't want to lose all my recorded shows they end up in imported and my wife gets pissed.) did a system restore (Thanks Gates) It worked. Then I decided to try to map a drive too The same as on the server.
mapped a drive to f: stared client was already the same directory and it didn't work. Highlighted drive in sage detailed setup and chose browse for directory it seems it was looking at servers drives because on my server I have a g drive and it was there chose the correct path and wala it worked perfectly. All files that were previously comskipped and new ones all work just like on the server. I think all I had to do is browse for the directory I don't think I ever really needed to set up unc or mapped drives sage was already seeing the servers file system as far as I can tell. If iI ever setup my system from scratch again I will use unc paths from the begining but for now this seems to work perfectly. I sure hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:00 AM
SageTVaholic

It CAN work with mapped drives as well as UNC paths. The advantage with UNC paths is they are always the same no matter how many PCs you add to your network. With mapped drives you may come to a situation where you can't use that drive letter on a new PC. Let's say you made the map drive F. Now you add a new PC with 2 hard drives and 2 DVD/CD roms. Your next available drive letter is G:. Now you have to rearrange your drive letters on the PC or worse change them on the server. It's just a mess. Much easier to use the UNC path. If you're having a hard time figuring out the UNC path go to your Network Place and drill to your SageTV directory where the recordings are stored. Make sure you have the Address Bar visible in your Network Place window. In the address bar is the proper UNC path you need to use.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Sage Expert

Wow bones71, that sounds painful . Yeah, there should be a way to make this less painful or at least a warning to anyone buying Sage client to use UNC from the getgo. I have found that I cannot get comskip to work from the client but thats ok. I really just wanted to see the bars and auto-skip commercials on the client. So far its working ~50-50. Friday is a light day for recordings so I only have a few new samples and 2 of them are marked on the server but do not show up on the client. More tweaking is called for . Thanks alot for the info and help!

Last edited by silkshadow; 02-12-2005 at 12:18 AM.