SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok,

Now I really have found a problem. I am using a fusion card(I know many of you are also) and am having a problem with the minor channel. For other users of the fusion you may have this problem but since most OTA providers put only broadcast one subchannel (or broadcast the HD channel on subchannel 1) you wouldn't see it. I have NBC and FOX that broadcast on two subchannels. I have tried minor channel 2 for both with no luck. From the log HDNE gets the information but the tuning is not done on the fusion so it always defaults to minor channel 1. For NBC this is not a problem since minor channel 1 is the HD content and 2 is a radar image. Fox for some reason broadcast a SD version in minor channel 1 and the HD on 2. At the present, I have no way of watching FOX HD through HDNE. Any suggestions?
Old 04-30-2005, 03:21 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavis
Ok,

Now I really have found a problem. I am using a fusion card(I know many of you are also) and am having a problem with the minor channel. For other users of the fusion you may have this problem but since most OTA providers put only broadcast one subchannel (or broadcast the HD channel on subchannel 1) you wouldn't see it. I have NBC and FOX that broadcast on two subchannels. I have tried minor channel 2 for both with no luck. From the log HDNE gets the information but the tuning is not done on the fusion so it always defaults to minor channel 1. For NBC this is not a problem since minor channel 1 is the HD content and 2 is a radar image. Fox for some reason broadcast a SD version in minor channel 1 and the HD on 2. At the present, I have no way of watching FOX HD through HDNE. Any suggestions?
my problem on the aver a180 is it will brefly tune sub chan 1 then auto tune to sub chan 2 which is the weather maps on any of the stations that has more then one, and 8 which has 1 2 and the hd, sd weather, sd respectivly it doesnt tune. fox which has no sub other then 1 which is hd it tunes it in great.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ok,

I think that's probably a SageTV issue. Unless Stealth is doing something weird, HDNE captures the transport stream whole (including all subchannels). I assume that Sage is simply defaulting to Sub 1.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

All really helpful feedback!

BTW, HDNE is not writing a TS stream file. I am only demuxing the inbound TS stream and turning it into a PS stream. I wasn't really sure about Sage's ability to demux TS streams so HDNE does it before the writing the file.

The graph goes like this:

ATSC Network Provider -->
ATSC Capture -->
TS Info Parser -->
MS MPEG Demux (to pull apart the TS stream) -->
Cyberlink MUX (to build the new PS stream) -->
Cyberlink DUMP (to write to the file) -> done...
Old 04-30-2005, 05:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am not sure if I understand entirely Stealth1971. If the TS stream is pulled appart then the minor channel input to your program is very important. Are you saying that this is a bug in HDNE or do I need to figure it out from my end.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth1971
All really helpful feedback!

BTW, HDNE is not writing a TS stream file. I am only demuxing the inbound TS stream and turning it into a PS stream. I wasn't really sure about Sage's ability to demux TS streams so HDNE does it before the writing the file.

The graph goes like this:

ATSC Network Provider -->
ATSC Capture -->
TS Info Parser -->
MS MPEG Demux (to pull apart the TS stream) -->
Cyberlink MUX (to build the new PS stream) -->
Cyberlink DUMP (to write to the file) -> done...
Yeah, but you don't actually do anything to the data, you don't pull out individual subchannels, or do you?
Old 04-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Sage

Stealth1971,

If you want a newer version of the SageTV Demux that parses TS streams let me know. We've already got that done and gave it out to the private testers. It's just the updated ax file and a DLL update. There's also a registry setting that selects which PID gets output if there's multiple programs. Just send me a PM if you want it now instead of waiting till the beta is out. I love these new network encoders that I've been seeing.

BTW, Nice work. (you too Anders, if you want the TS demux let me know...and it can be publicly released as a patch too if you end up preferring to record in TS)
Old 04-30-2005, 08:14 PM
Sage User

id prefer to record in ts. ;-)...

the software has to be able to choose the sub channel. I know on dvb you have the ts. if use a program like ts reader it will record the entire stream of the transponder. then you can parse the sub channel. in my case its doing exactly what is happening to ldavis just the other way around. it defaults to the sd sub channel. channel 8 for me actually defaults to the weather stream sub channel 2 and not sub channel 3 which is the sd video feed.

anyway reloaded xp and it is working better. now i have problems with my dvb twinhan which ill just have to end up reloading xp again. the worst part about it is the call to microshaft
Old 04-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Sage User

While the ability to change subchannels easily should be implimented, the ability to only record one of the streams instead of dumping all in a TS file really helps with disk space. However I'm all for using TS files if it cuts down on cpu usage and general performance.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:33 AM
Sage User

well no if the parser is writen correctly it would only be the one sub. not the entire stream. people were using ts reader to dump an entire stream for other reasons. I used it to dump some programs but like you said allot of it was a waste. theres no wasted cpu because the card has to read the stream anyway.

BTW i have solved my problem with dvb and a180. i had the coax in the wrong port haha

still have to play around with the channel settings to see what i can come up with.

stealth if say for instance on my chan 8 local which is physical chan 10 with 3 sub chans.. I tried sub -1 but that didnt work. what valid choices are there?
Old 05-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I am not sure if I understand entirely Stealth1971. If the TS stream is pulled appart then the minor channel input to your program is very important. Are you saying that this is a bug in HDNE or do I need to figure it out from my end.
My original understanding of the ATSC spec was that the each channel had sub-bands that carried its own TS stream. (My early interpretation from the MS BDA tuning interface) After some research now, I am reading that each sub-channel is carried in the single TS stream... This would make more sense... Even though the MS tuning API askes for the physical channel, major channel, minor channel, the major/minor channel #s are kept around as meta data for determining which TS PIDs to use??? arghhh....

Next steps will be probably to record straight to a TS file and let Sage deal with the PIDs.... Files will be a bit bigger but, it should eliminate the need for all of the other DirectShow filters (i.e. Cyberlink)
Old 05-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pen25
i havent used it as such but as you know my issues and all. though i am doing a fresh install now. I knew i should have ordered the sp2 disk.

crazedz: you only slept for a couple hours? i slept for like 20 and loved every second of it. and when the vision clears up more you wil be even more amazed. oh one other thing though this is OT get some flax seed oil and take it. it helps the eyes regain its tear film. I still have a tad bit of dry eyes at times and i got it done dec 30th. and ill tell you what i kicked myself for not getting it done allot earlier. hope you heal well.

Yeah we were told to sleep 4 to 6 hours in the end only got 4 because the kids came home and you know how kids are. Slept for about 8 hours that night so i got quite a bit. They said my eye was doing great the next day i was reading the lowest line with only one letter missed. Dam E looked fuzzy in the middle couldn't tell for sure if it was a C or E, It was E. Ah well they said i was doing great for the first day after and that it would improve more as time went on. Of course they said the samething to my mother who had it done the same day. Yeah i feel like kicking myself for not going in sooner but i think it was better to wait and see how things went for a while with the tech instead of jumping in right away. I can't wait till i get over this halo effect on lights and reflective surfaces. Im seeing better than i did with my glasses already but the halos can be a bother like now when im looking at my screen. All in all though it's pretty amazing what modern science and medicene can do eh.

As for the file streams i kinda would like to have both as options are nice to have
AMD athlon64X2 3800+, Foxconn (Winfast 6150K8MA-8EKRS) 6150, Windows Vista Ultimate, Geforce FX EVGA 7800gt CO, 1gig 400mhz ddr Ram, 500 gig Western Digital Sata 2 hard drive 8 meg cache, Tuners: Wintv PVR 500 dual tuner, Fusion3 GoldT, NEC 3540a dvd+rw, Sagetv 5.0 Dell 20.1" 2005FPW
Old 05-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Sage User

has anyone else had any luck on the aver card and the pid tuning? I know i havent had much time to do any more testing. will do that this weekend.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pen25
has anyone else had any luck on the aver card and the pid tuning? I know i havent had much time to do any more testing. will do that this weekend.
Maybe a new release this weekend... The weather is changing in Chicago for the better though
Old 05-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

I dont have the A180 but if it can record SD my understanding is the A180 does not have a hardware encoder which is needed for sage. You have no need for encoder in HD since it records the stream directly.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:59 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKK
I dont have the A180 but if it can record SD my understanding is the A180 does not have a hardware encoder which is needed for sage. You have no need for encoder in HD since it records the stream directly.
nope the a180 works in sage with this plugin. just has a few issues which i am sure are being worked out ;-).
Old 05-06-2005, 06:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Yes, but HD only.

Stealth, have you had a chance to look at the problem I posted above?
Old 05-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Sage User

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...interfaces.asp

some pretty cool tools for the bda drivers.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Yes, but HD only.

Stealth, have you had a chance to look at the problem I posted above?
From the Sage debug info - it looks like it lost the network connection with HDNE. From my output it looks it keep starting the recording over and over.

Are you using it as "true network encoder?" I wonder if there is some network issue? Does it always happen?
Old 05-06-2005, 04:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes it's a true NE, and it happens every file. Generally every 5-6 minutes. FWIW, it's gigabit ethernet between the boxen.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to get you better debug info.