SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Sage User

Channel Changes...

Hi Guys,

Is there any way...to make the channel changes faster?

If I use my dish set top box, channel changes are approximately 4 seconds.

If I use Mytheatre alone, channel changes are 4 to 5 seconds.

Using sage with the plugin, takes approximately 12 to 15 seconds.

I have everything workign pretty good, this is the ONLY thing. Other then that this plugin is pretty awesome.

Anyone know if there will be direct support for a twinhan DVB-S, with the use of plugins, similar to Mytheatre, thus elimininating teh need for Mytheatre all together?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by docluv01
Hi Guys,

Is there any way...to make the channel changes faster?

If I use my dish set top box, channel changes are approximately 4 seconds.

If I use Mytheatre alone, channel changes are 4 to 5 seconds.

Using sage with the plugin, takes approximately 12 to 15 seconds.

I have everything workign pretty good, this is the ONLY thing. Other then that this plugin is pretty awesome.

Anyone know if there will be direct support for a twinhan DVB-S, with the use of plugins, similar to Mytheatre, thus elimininating teh need for Mytheatre all together?

Thanks in advance!

The channels changes can't be faster because of the way that the network encoder has to buffer some video before displaying into sage. Also some small delays in the MT plugin.

I would like it faster too, but I find I dont really channel surf too much and watch recorded/timeshifted shows so the I hard ever change the channel.

Direct support for DVB-S probably wont happen because of the switching and plugins

Technazz
Old 02-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Sage User

Hi,

I have both sage and MT on the same pc, which is pretty fast.

WHat if I were to change both settings below:

seeker/fast_mux_switch=false
videoframe/network_encoding_to_playback_delay=1500

What if I changes the 1st option to true, and changed the second option to somethign even lower, posibly even 0? WOuld this help, or cause more problems?

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

I seem to have read here:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ight=mytheatre

... that the xml files can be combined with the zap2it data. I haven't tried it out yet, but it is a little confusing. Are they talking about using a zap2it to xml plugin, and then using the MT importer and combining them?? So, its not TRUELY using the internal zap2it guide data??
Old 02-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooves12
I seem to have read here:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ight=mytheatre

... that the xml files can be combined with the zap2it data. I haven't tried it out yet, but it is a little confusing. Are they talking about using a zap2it to xml plugin, and then using the MT importer and combining them?? So, its not TRUELY using the internal zap2it guide data??

Its taking XMLTV from Zap2it and the Export XMLTV2MTEPG from MT and then combining them using Demedius XML importer. But I have found that there are alot of threads to read to accomplish this, which i wish it was combined into one thread or guide.

Technazz
Old 03-03-2006, 04:48 AM
Sage User

DEC3000s??

I have a DEC3000s which is not supported by SAGETV but it is supported by MYTHEATRE.
I am targetting to a setup that supports both the DEC3000 and MediaMVP in such a way that "timeshift" TV is possible on the TV screen using MediaMVP.
Rickgillyon suggested to try the Mytheatre plugin. Reading trough this thread I got the impression that it is not that easy to try, so before I start, I hope that someone will tell me if what I want is possible??
Old 03-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yes, that is exactly the point of the plugin. It works, but is a little slow to switch channels. The guide listed works well... but it a little vague in certain areas, most importantly where to get the guide data from, and how to configure your channel lists so that it work properly.

You can renumber everything so they match a favorites list, like outlined in the setup doc, but that is WAAAAAYYYYYYY too much work IMO. What I did is when I got to the step where you number the channels, instead of picking a favorite order and "enumerate from 1" I selected the option in Mytheatre to use the internal channel ID. That way I got a list with the channels numbered as they are from the provider. Then I used the internal Sage Zap2it guide data and its numbers matched as well, and then just deselected the channels I didn't receive in Sage. Works pretty well.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by docluv01
Hi,

I have both sage and MT on the same pc, which is pretty fast.

WHat if I were to change both settings below:

What if I changes the 1st option to true, and changed the second option to somethign even lower, posibly even 0? WOuld this help, or cause more problems?

Thanks!
Hi Guys, any suggestions on the below settings?

Old 03-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

The siggestions are in the documentation... you can try playing with them and see how it effects your system and then report back though.

But, you are not going to get channel changes close to the speed of your set top box, because there is sooooo much going on with this configuration. DVB channel changes are slower by nature... then you have your softcam decoding that has to occur... then Mytheatre needs to buffer the video before it starts playing... then once Sage sees a signal IT needs to buffer before it starts playing. Add it all up and it will take a while.

Last edited by grooves12; 03-03-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:15 PM

Corrupt with on channel change

Hi, I am a new use to sageTV and this network plugin. So far I have found it to work flawlessly except one issue. When I change a channel from sageTV, I get good voice but the video is corrupted. If I stop the liveTV and then go again, it works fine.
Has anybody else experienced this? It might be issue related with codec or something but just wanted to check. In mYtheatre, I do see channel changing correctly.

Also, what's the best way to put the machine when not in use? Standby or hibernate. The reason I am asking this is if I put the machine in standby and come back, Mytheatre seems to not respond very well. Any idea??
Old 03-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to vuego
hell_man I have the same problem. It has to do with different channels having different resolutions.
I've gotten it to work better using VMR9 and Hauppauges Intervideo NonCSS decoder and Elecards decoder. However Hauppauge has intermittent stalling and Elecard has that annoying green line at the bottom. Nvidias MPEG2 decoder works OK but crashes on defects in the stream.
I can't use VMR9 on the secondary screen where I have the projector and in overlay no decoders work

If anyone has a solution please help
Old 03-04-2006, 01:32 AM

SageTV fill mode

Hi, I got my channel change to work with VMR9 and Nvidia decoder.
Is it possible to use ddfshow filter along with this in sagetv?

Also, my current problem is that the video coming from Mytheatre is always displayed in 4*3 irrespective of what I choose in SageTV (fill, 16*9, 4*3 etc)

Any suggestions? I am new to sageTV so might be missing something obvious.

On the side note, this plugin is awesome. Thanks for the efforts,.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:04 AM
Sage User

So far so good

Being completely new to both SageTV and Mytheatre I am proud to say that I got it to work (more or less). The whole exersize is meant to find out if I could replace Showshifter, not because its no good, but because it doesn't support MediaMVP. SageTV does that but it doesn't support DEC300s (a non BDA DVBs).
So what I wanted was:
*MyTheatre because it supports DEC3000s
*SageTV because it supports MediaMVP
*MTSage plugin for Mytheatre to get them to talk to each other
*MVPClient for SageTV to get it all on the TV screen
The results:
If I run SageTV I get the channels I have setup in Mytheatre. Seems to work just fine. Still some work ahead, but I got the pictures.
However if I run the MVPClient, SageClient reports that "No Video Capture Devices were found. Please install ....etc".
Can someone tell me what to do, please ?
Old 03-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

I was wondeirng if anyone has tried out 3.33.8 of mytheatre? I know with 3.33.5 there was stuttering problems while 3.33.3 had less stutterin issues. I was just wondering how 3.33.8 compared
Old 03-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytyler
I was wondeirng if anyone has tried out 3.33.8 of mytheatre? I know with 3.33.5 there was stuttering problems while 3.33.3 had less stutterin issues. I was just wondering how 3.33.8 compared
Using it... in my case at least I have been having problems on the Sage end of equation with instability. It seems to be having a harder time dealing with ANY kind of stream corruption from MT, and in 3.38 at least it seems the breaks in the stream seem to be bigger. I've tried several decoders to get aroudn this...FFDshow give great PQ, but Sage blows up if the signal from MT screws up even a little. Intervideo seems to be able to stand up to the breakages, but the deinterlacing is TERRIBLE, so no go there. The ATI (Cyberlink) decoder stutters madly under Sage, so its a write off even though its the recommended decoder for MT and my ATI card.

Another problem is AC3. I can get it work but switching between programs with AC3 and regular audio doesn't work, I have to stop playback and restart to get it to switch the audio mode. Using AC3Filter for Audio.

All in all I am still struggling to get a stable setup between MT and Sage. ..this plus FusioHDTV card issues I am having have made my last month of Sage on my new system less than happy times.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Sage User

Hi Everyone,

First of all I would like to thank the author for this great plugin. I have just built my first HTPC with a DVB-s card as it's main source for the time being. This past weekend I got it hooked up to my TV and installed MyTheatre and SageTV. I got MyTheatre all setup and functioning. Seems to be a nice piece of software but the interface isn't really to my liking hence why I wanted to get DVB into Sage. I managed to get smooth HD playback in MyTheatre at 1080i after fiddling around with some of the video decoder settings. I would love to run 720p but my TV unfortunately doesn't support that resolution. So thinking I was good to go I decided to setup the SageTV side of things and get the 2 programs talking. I have B*V hooked to the DVB card.

I followed the including documentation that came with the plugin and setup was really straight forward and worked well after a reboot. SDTV looks to be functioning pretty well with no jerkiness or stuttering and HD at 480p is not too bad, I noticed some minor stuttering here and there I think, maybe I was looking too closely. I then bumped up the res to 1080i which is what I would like to run at. I had too much jerkiness for it to be enjoyable. Does anyone have any suggestions? I noticed CPU usage would be up near or at 100% in Sagetv but only 30-40% when in MyTheatre.

Here is my specs:

MyTheatre 3.3.5(trial until I decide if this is what I want)
SageTV(Latest version downloaded yesterday (4.1.35?), trial as well)
MTPlugin V1.0.0
Nvidia Decoders(latest version 1.02.196, tried various settings within)
Nvidia 81.98 video card drivers
Updated mobo drivers+latest BIOS
Audio is SPDif out off of motherboard SPDif connection
WinXP SP2, no virus programs or anything running

System is AMD 64 3700+, 1 gig ram, GEforce 6600 256MB, Nforce4 Gigabyte mobo, 2x250gig SATA2 drives, 1 40gig for OS etc, Twinhan 102g, 500 Watt OCz power supply.

I know I have read things regarding various versions of SageTV and MyTheatre and even the Nvidia video card drivers causing some slowdowns or issues with HD content. Should I update MyTheatre to 3.3.8? Downgrade SageTV or Nvidia drivers? If I could get HD nice and smooth in SageTV that would be sweet!

Thanks for any help or suggestions, I am gonna tinker a bit more when I get home from work if time permits tonight. Any suggestions would be awesome!

Kevin

Last edited by ould; 03-13-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ould
Hi Everyone,

First of all I would like to thank the author for this great plugin. I have just built my first HTPC with a DVB-s card as it's main source for the time being. This past weekend I got it hooked up to my TV and installed MyTheatre and SageTV. I got MyTheatre all setup and functioning. Seems to be a nice piece of software but the interface isn't really to my liking hence why I wanted to get DVB into Sage. I managed to get smooth HD playback in MyTheatre at 1080i after fiddling around with some of the video decoder settings. I would love to run 720p but my TV unfortunately doesn't support that resolution. So thinking I was good to go I decided to setup the SageTV side of things and get the 2 programs talking. I have B*V hooked to the DVB card.

I followed the including documentation that came with the plugin and setup was really straight forward and worked well after a reboot. SDTV looks to be functioning pretty well with no jerkiness or stuttering and HD at 480p is not too bad, I noticed some minor stuttering here and there I think, maybe I was looking too closely. I then bumped up the res to 1080i which is what I would like to run at. I had too much jerkiness for it to be enjoyable. Does anyone have any suggestions? I noticed CPU usage would be up near or at 100% in Sagetv but only 30-40% when in MyTheatre.

Here is my specs:

MyTheatre 3.3.5(trial until I decide if this is what I want)
SageTV(Latest version downloaded yesterday (4.1.35?), trial as well)
MTPlugin V1.0.0
Nvidia Decoders(latest version 1.02.196, tried various settings within)
Nvidia 81.98 video card drivers
Updated mobo drivers+latest BIOS
Audio is SPDif out off of motherboard SPDif connection
WinXP SP2, no virus programs or anything running

System is AMD 64 3700+, 1 gig ram, GEforce 6600 256MB, Nforce4 Gigabyte mobo, 2x250gig SATA2 drives, 1 40gig for OS etc, Twinhan 102g, 500 Watt OCz power supply.

I know I have read things regarding various versions of SageTV and MyTheatre and even the Nvidia video card drivers causing some slowdowns or issues with HD content. Should I update MyTheatre to 3.3.8? Downgrade SageTV or Nvidia drivers? If I could get HD nice and smooth in SageTV that would be sweet!

Thanks for any help or suggestions, I am gonna tinker a bit more when I get home from work if time permits tonight. Any suggestions would be awesome!

Kevin
I have good HD in Sage but the key is to get it working in MT first.

Try changing the buffer within MT I have it set at 100 mb.

Try playing with the NVIDIA decoder settings while HD is playing. Mainly the deinterlacing and Overlay, VMR7/VMR9

Make sure you use Generic Mode In MT and you can use autograph if you choose.

Im using MT 3.38 and SageTv 4.19beta 4.13 worked the same for me.

Technazz
Old 03-13-2006, 09:26 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by technazz
I have good HD in Sage but the key is to get it working in MT first.

Try changing the buffer within MT I have it set at 100 mb.

Try playing with the NVIDIA decoder settings while HD is playing. Mainly the deinterlacing and Overlay, VMR7/VMR9

Make sure you use Generic Mode In MT and you can use autograph if you choose.

Im using MT 3.38 and SageTv 4.19beta 4.13 worked the same for me.

Technazz
Hey Technazz,

Well I played around with my setup tonight before 24 came on and I think I figured out my issue. I had MyTheatre set to "high priority" which I guess was starving SageTV for CPU cycles. I set MyTheatre back to "normal priority" and I can now get 480p silky smooth in SageTV, I have FSE on with VMR9. Picture looks really good. I may try 1080i but I don't think my vid card has enough horsepower for 1080i smoothly.

I noticed a new problem though tonight which I hadn't noticed before as I hadn't played much in SageTV yet. When changing channels I seem to lose audio completely. But if I stop live tv and then go back the sound seems to return, I haven't played with this too much yet but wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? I am running Nvidia Audio decoder using SPDif pass through so not really processing the audio at all. Anything I can look at or change here to fix this issue, this one is rather annoying.

Thanks again,

Kevin
Old 03-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ould
Hey Technazz,

I noticed a new problem though tonight which I hadn't noticed before as I hadn't played much in SageTV yet. When changing channels I seem to lose audio completely. But if I stop live tv and then go back the sound seems to return, I haven't played with this too much yet but wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? I am running Nvidia Audio decoder using SPDif pass through so not really processing the audio at all. Anything I can look at or change here to fix this issue, this one is rather annoying.

Thanks again,

Kevin
Try 1080i you might me supprised that it works.

I have the same issue switching from a HDTV (AC3,5.1) to a SDTV channels I loose audio. I stop or Sleep Sage then I can select the channel I want.

Technazz
Old 03-14-2006, 06:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Streaming Of ALTDVB

With running 2 DVB cards (/card1/card2 switch), I get around 40% Cpu on each card, but when I tune to HDTV my system goes for a crap The HDTV MT instance goes up to MAX and I get choppy video. I have an XP3000+ 1 GIG o ram and A AIW 9800 Pro. Now the 2 instances of MT are the culprit for sure until MT support 2 cards under the one proccess Im sorta stuck.

Now I also tried ALTDVB for my HDTV which I could get 40-50% CPU which is 20% less than MT. Seems MT is a resource hog and ALTDVB does a far better jop.

I just read over here hxxp://www.curious-contraptions.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23757 that they can stream ALTDVB over a network. Any chance of a plugin for sagetv?

Technazz