SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:58 AM
Sage Icon

Java and FSE

Did a search. Has there ever been any official word on what Java version to use? 1.5.0_05 is the newest, yet the new Betas are still using 1.4.2_06. I'm assuming the program is being developed with the Java included in the download. Something along the the lines of:

"We developed this program with 1.4.2_06...anything else is on you"

Or

"We developed this program with 1.4.2_06...but anything newer is perfectly fine"

Also, what's the official take on the FSE problems...what does Sage need for it to work (is it even a Sage problem)? There are tons of posts on "switch to this decoder", "disable that decoder", etc... but nothing technical on how it works...what the sequence of events are, and what might be broken in the chain. (I get a DirectX error, but FSE works in Media Player Classic). I know it's Beta, and this is a user forum...just thought someone might have some intel on these two.

Thanks,

P
Old 10-29-2005, 07:04 AM

How the heck did you get FSE in Media Player Classic? The version I have does not support it.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Sage Expert

My take on the java thing is use what comes with sage... I've tried twice to upgrade my java install and it resulted in an exploded, non-functional sage in both cases.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Stay with 1.4.2_06 for now. Many of us have had crashes with the 1.5 release.

HP Media Center m390n, P4 2.4GHz, NVidia GeForce 5600 FX, Hauppauge PVR-250 PCI II, NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder, Microsoft Windows Media Center PC 2005, 1GB RAM, (2) 600MB HD, Motorola DCT5000 STB, USB-UIRT, Time-Warner Digital Cable
Old 10-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Sage User

Java 1.5 changed enough - particularly in its security model and class loaders - to break a good deal of existing code, not just Sage.

Mike
Old 10-29-2005, 10:55 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbdude
How the heck did you get FSE in Media Player Classic? The version I have does not support it.
I may have the terms wrong:

MPC Build 6.4.8.4 Options>Playback>Output-->Direct Show Video *VMR9 Renderless. Is that FSE?

I apologize if I'm incorrect.

P
Old 10-29-2005, 11:18 AM
Sage

Internally we use a few different JVMs to test with, all 1.4.2 or 1.5.0 based at the present time. They both should work fine with SageTV. The main difference is the way the memory management is handled in 1.4.2 vs. 1.5. SageTV optimizes the garbage collector for 1.4, but it doesn't for 1.5. The reason is that 1.5 has a more optimized garbage collector which didn't need tweaking.

The other difference we've noticed is with FSE. It does seem to have some weird issue with the 1.5 JVM, and we've added code to workaround the issues that occur (although it just 'works around' the problem, the problem still occurs). Those issues do not occur in the 1.4.2 JVM.

My recommendation would be to use the 1.4.2 JVM (the latest from Sun is fine, the one in our installer is probably not the absolute latest) if you're using FSE (full screen exclusive) mode. But if you're not using FSE you're probably better off with the 1.5 JVM (it's what I use on my SageTV systems at home) because they'll give slightly better performance.

You can switch between JVMs by editing the registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\CurrentVersion

If you've got both 1.4 and 1.5 installed then you can just set that to be which one you want SageTV to use.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro
I may have the terms wrong:

MPC Build 6.4.8.4 Options>Playback>Output-->Direct Show Video *VMR9 Renderless. Is that FSE?

I apologize if I'm incorrect.

P
Not that is just Renderless. That is the same as Sage in VMR9 with Fullscreen mode disabled.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:06 PM
Sage Icon

Narflex: Awesome post, thanks!
mlbdude: My bad

Thanks, P
Old 10-29-2005, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro
Narflex: Awesome post, thanks!
mlbdude: My bad

Thanks, P
No problem. If regular renderless is working good for you no reason to use FSE.