SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, been trying to get the MyHD encoder to work with little success.

Installed the encoder and configured it per your instructions. Left the default port as 10101. Set up a virtual drive 's' . Changed MessageDelayMilliseconds & RecordDelayMilliseconds to 2500. Saved the file.

Next, edit the SageTV properties file. There are four Hauppauge 150's currently in the htpc along with the MyHD card. So, I copied one of them, changed all the numbers to 12345, set mmc/encoders/12345/encoding_host=htpc\:10101, htpc is the name of my machine. Saved the file.

Configured MyHD per the instructions, no video, no audio, capture directory is 's:\myhd\, file size = 999999999, sub channels only

Not quite sure how to remap the channels

Launched the encoder. It started MyHD, both icons show in the system tray. Started Sage and no MyHD encoder is listed. Still see the four 150's, but no MyHD.

Tried this a few times, no success. (One definition of crazy, doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results )

Any ideas what I should try now ?

Ken C
Old 11-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ken,

Make sure you have MyIRC shut down. It is the application that MyHD uses to schedule programs.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C
Ok, been trying to get the MyHD encoder to work with little success.

Installed the encoder and configured it per your instructions. Left the default port as 10101. Set up a virtual drive 's' . Changed MessageDelayMilliseconds & RecordDelayMilliseconds to 2500. Saved the file.

Next, edit the SageTV properties file. There are four Hauppauge 150's currently in the htpc along with the MyHD card. So, I copied one of them, changed all the numbers to 12345, set mmc/encoders/12345/encoding_host=htpc\:10101, htpc is the name of my machine. Saved the file.

Configured MyHD per the instructions, no video, no audio, capture directory is 's:\myhd\, file size = 999999999, sub channels only

Not quite sure how to remap the channels

Launched the encoder. It started MyHD, both icons show in the system tray. Started Sage and no MyHD encoder is listed. Still see the four 150's, but no MyHD.

Tried this a few times, no success. (One definition of crazy, doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results )

Any ideas what I should try now ?

Ken C
If SageTV doesn't show the encoder, then it may not be properly configured in Sage properties. I'd recommend copying from my example above. If the encoder is on the SageTV machine, it should work as-is.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:55 AM
SageTVaholic

thomaszoo, sorry I haven't gotten to testing out your situation. I've had some incidents keeping me busy. I believe the problem you're having is probably a timing issue -- specifically, that the encoder is taking so long to start the recording that SageTV is partially giving up on the operation.

There may be a way I can prevent this timing issue from appearing through changes to the encoder itself, but in the meantime, if you have the chance, let's see what happens if you use exactly the same timing as I do:

postMessageDelayMilliseconds="100"
preRecordDelayMilliseconds="1000"
postRecordDelayMilliseconds="500"
postStopDelayMilliseconds="1000"

There are a few things that can go wrong with timing, and they should be decipherable.

Symptom: the channel I tried to record didn't get tuned in MyHD.
Problem: MyHD can't keep up with the signals for entering channel number.
Solution: Bump up postMessageDelayMilliseconds (slightly).

Symptom: MyHD didn't begin to record.
Problem: MyHD wasn't fully tuned and ready on the channel before the record command was received.
SolutioN: Bump up postMessageDelayMilliseconds(slightly).

Symptom: Encoder reports that it can't create hard link with error code 32.
Problem: SageTV created (and locked) a zero-byte file where we're trying to make the hard link. Essentially, it got impatient.
Solution: Try to reduce the overall time it takes to kick in the recording. Since every message is delayed by at least postMessageDelayMilliseconds, that is a good place to start, but the other one to try is postMessageDelayMilliseconds.

Symptom: Encoder can't find the MyHD file (error in log says that couldn't create hard link, but it is an error code other than 32).
Problem: The MyHD file hadn't been created by the time the encoder looked for it.
Solution: Bump up the postRecordDelayMilliseconds (slightly).
Note: there are some other things that can cause the "can't create hard link" error, but I think in your case this was not the problem.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Got it! I tried your numbers but that wouldn't even kick off the MyHD recording. Then I started adjusting one number at a time. Here are my final numbers in case they might help: postMessageDelayMilliseconds="150"
preRecordDelayMilliseconds="2000"
postRecordDelayMilliseconds="500"
postStopDelayMilliseconds="1000"

So my advice to others trying this is to follow the directions precisely and be patient in adjusting the above numbers.

Salsbst, thanks again for your hard work, assistance and patience.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsbst
If SageTV doesn't show the encoder, then it may not be properly configured in Sage properties. I'd recommend copying from my example above. If the encoder is on the SageTV machine, it should work as-is.
OK, things are inching along ...

Shut down MyIRC, thank you thomaszoo, pasted your encoder example into my Sage properties file and, voila, the encoder now shows up. Set up the encoder with the epg guide. Initially, in order to make sure I understand how to do the channel remapping properly, I disabled all but one channel in the epg, ch 174, the local weather channel.

Now, editing the MyHD channel scan list.

The MyHD channel scan list has this entry;

[INPUT2 No. 8]
Name =
PhyCH = 81
VirCH = 81
MinCh = 4
SubCh = 4
TunerInputType = CABLE
SignalType = ATSC_256QAM
Programnumber = 4
Sourceid = 4

Changed the virtual channel to 174;

[INPUT2 No. 8]
Name =
PhyCH = 81
VirCH = 174
MinCh = 4
SubCh = 4
TunerInputType = CABLE
SignalType = ATSC_256QAM
Programnumber = 4
Sourceid = 4

Saved the list and reloaded it into MyHD and restarted Sage. Used the epg to tune to 174 and all I get is 'No Signal'. The channel is enabled, (guess it has to be to show up in the epg).

What should I try ?

Ken C
Old 11-09-2006, 02:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
OK, things are inching along ...

Shut down MyIRC, thank you thomaszoo, pasted your encoder example into my Sage properties file and, voila, the encoder now shows up. Set up the encoder with the epg guide. Initially, in order to make sure I understand how to do the channel remapping properly, I disabled all but one channel in the epg, ch 174, the local weather channel.

Now, editing the MyHD channel scan list.

The MyHD channel scan list has this entry;

[INPUT2 No. 8]
Name =
PhyCH = 81
VirCH = 81
MinCh = 4
SubCh = 4
TunerInputType = CABLE
SignalType = ATSC_256QAM
Programnumber = 4
Sourceid = 4

Changed the virtual channel to 174;

[INPUT2 No. 8]
Name =
PhyCH = 81
VirCH = 174
MinCh = 4
SubCh = 4
TunerInputType = CABLE
SignalType = ATSC_256QAM
Programnumber = 4
Sourceid = 4

Saved the list and reloaded it into MyHD and restarted Sage. Used the epg to tune to 174 and all I get is 'No Signal'. The channel is enabled, (guess it has to be to show up in the epg).

What should I try ?

Ken C
Hmm.

Do you get a signal on the the weather channel when using MyHD on its own?

If you open the MyHD control panel doodad, does it claim to be displaying *Digital Cable* channel 174?

Did you already have a channel 174? If so, you may need to map that one *away* from 174.

Also, make sure you've enabled "Virtual Channel mode" in the MyHD channel list window. Did I forget to put that one in my instructions? Whoops, looks like I did...
Old 11-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Hmm.

Do you get a signal on the the weather channel when using MyHD on its own?

If you open the MyHD control panel doodad, does it claim to be displaying *Digital Cable* channel 174?

Did you already have a channel 174? If so, you may need to map that one *away* from 174.

Also, make sure you've enabled "Virtual Channel mode" in the MyHD channel list window. Did I forget to put that one in my instructions? Whoops, looks like I did...

Yes, MyHd has a good signal.

The control panel indicates channel 174-4. Hmmm...

Do not have a current channel 174

And, virtual channel mode is enabled.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes, MyHd has a good signal.

The control panel indicates channel 174-4. Hmmm...

Do not have a current channel 174

And, virtual channel mode is enabled.
So if you launch MyHD on its own, and you tune to channel 174, you see "No Signal"?

And if you revert to VirCH=81 and reload your channel list, you then get a signal at 81?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
So if you launch MyHD on its own, and you tune to channel 174, you see "No Signal"?

And if you revert to VirCH=81 and reload your channel list, you then get a signal at 81?
On the initial MyHD channel scan, the channel was 81-4 with good signal, both physical and virtual channel listed as 81.

Changed the virtual channel to 174, MyHD tuned it fine as 174-4 with good signal.

MyHD is fine, the no signal is in Sage only.

Ken C
Old 11-09-2006, 07:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
On the initial MyHD channel scan, the channel was 81-4 with good signal, both physical and virtual channel listed as 81.

Changed the virtual channel to 174, MyHD tuned it fine as 174-4 with good signal.

MyHD is fine, the no signal is in Sage only.

Ken C
Where do you see the words "no signal"? In the Sage recording?
Old 11-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Where do you see the words "no signal"? In the Sage recording?
Just trying to view the channel during Sage channel setup. Also, when selecting the channel using the epg in Sage. Haven't even tried to record anything.

Ken C
Old 11-09-2006, 08:47 PM
SageTVaholic

From the wiki...
Quote:
The "Live Buffer" feature of the SageTV encoder protocol isn't supported. Practically, this means that Video Preview windows within SageTV won't work properly, if at all, for this encoder.
Sorry, it's a limitation imposed by the fact that MyHD does its own recording.

Last edited by salsbst; 11-10-2006 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
From the wiki...

Sorry, it's a limitation imposed by the fact that MyHD does its own recording.
OK, and I remember reading that !! So, if all is working, use the epg to tell MyHD what to record and then play it back through Sage. No 'live TV'. No problem, the only 'live TV' we watch is news.

I'll check out if it's recording.

Ken C
Old 11-10-2006, 08:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
OK, and I remember reading that !! So, if all is working, use the epg to tell MyHD what to record and then play it back through Sage. No 'live TV'. No problem, the only 'live TV' we watch is news.

I'll check out if it's recording.

Ken C
Actually, if you select something from the Program Guide and choose "Watch Now", the "almost live" TV should function properly (i.e., Sage records it and plays it back on a couple of seconds of delay). It just probably won't work with the miniature windows that show up as you float around the EPG and/or as you do channel setup.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Actually, if you select something from the Program Guide and choose "Watch Now", the "almost live" TV should function properly (i.e., Sage records it and plays it back on a couple of seconds of delay). It just probably won't work with the miniature windows that show up as you float around the EPG and/or as you do channel setup.

Well, it's not happening. Both the recorded video and the "Watch Now" yield "No Signal". The encoder is making \MyHD sub-directories and there was a 40+ gb file in one of them. All I get when trying to play is "No Signal". Hey, but it's a really nice "No Signal"

Going back to the channel mapping. After changing the virtual channel in the MyHD channel list from 81 to 174, the MyHD application displays 174-4 when tuned to it. Could this be a problem ?

Ken C
Old 11-10-2006, 08:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well, it's not happening. Both the recorded video and the "Watch Now" yield "No Signal". The encoder is making \MyHD sub-directories and there was a 40+ gb file in one of them. All I get when trying to play is "No Signal". Hey, but it's a really nice "No Signal"

Going back to the channel mapping. After changing the virtual channel in the MyHD channel list from 81 to 174, the MyHD application displays 174-4 when tuned to it. Could this be a problem ?

Ken C
No, that's correct. What does the encoder's log file say? And what does this "No Signal" message look like? Is it a recording of the MyHD "No Signal" OSD? Or something in a Sage-like look?
Old 11-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
No, that's correct. What does the encoder's log file say? And what does this "No Signal" message look like? Is it a recording of the MyHD "No Signal" OSD? Or something in a Sage-like look?
It sure looks "Sage-like", white letters with a blue background.

Here's a log entry, there is an error code 32;

2006-11-10 07:30:59,000 [24404] ERROR com.stusals.myHD.encoding.Job [Process ProcessRequest {Invoke} StartRecording EstablishHardLink] - Unable to establish hard link. Error code = 32

Ken C
Old 11-10-2006, 09:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quite likely a timing problem. Read through the posts above between thomaszoo and me for troubleshooting...
Old 11-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Quite likely a timing problem. Read through the posts above between thomaszoo and me for troubleshooting...
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Let you know ...

Ken C