SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 08-14-2003, 01:24 PM
Sage

brookb,

I'm pretty sure I just found that problem this morning and fixed it, email support@freytechnologies.com and I'll send you a patch to try out.

(jmeeks, I've already emailed it to you to try also)

robogeek,
Try selecting Overlay on the client for the Video Renderer, see if that helps. The reason this problem just showed up is because you added another tuner, so when you change between watching things recorded on each tuner it needs to rebuild the graph since they could have potentially different MPEG2 structures. (it doesn't if they're from the same tuner, it's smart like that) There's definitely something we can do about this (the error is straightforward, it's a circular graph, but DirectShow is doing that by itself, but there's a way to inspect that), email support@freytechnologies.com and I can get you some debug files.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:58 PM

Problem with manual recording and Favorites time adjustments?

First off, I think 1.4.8RC1 is great. Loads of little fixes and added features.

I had a show(Fooly Cooly) set as a favorite last night and SageTV missed part of the beginning(I think this channel is about 1 min. early). Luckily there was another favorite(Futurama) on the same channel right before it so I could just watch the first 45 seconds of the show at the end of Futurama. So to avoid this in the future I tried to adjust the favorite's start time. This lead my to Bug # 1.

1:I would adjust the start time of the favorite(Fooly Cooly) and then look at the Sage Recording Schedule. The start time of the show never changed to reflect the adjustment. Bug 1A? Also this would have caused a conflict with the other(Futurama) favorite, but none was reported. Bug 1B? So I decided to adjust the end time as a test. This did show up in the Sage Recording Schedule.
I don't know how the show would have recorded since the lack of a change in recording time adjustment feedback bothered me. So I decided to make Fooly Cooly a manual record, this lead to Bug #2

2:When I changed "Fooly Cooly" to a manual record all was well at first. I could adjust the end time and it was shown in the Sage Recording Schedule. So I decided to adjust the start time. As soon as I finished setting it to start 1 minute early it dissappeared from the Sage channel listing. When I checked the Sage Recording Schedule, now there was no recording listed for "Fooly Cooly" at all on that day. By checking in the "Live TV" guide and scrolling to the correct time I found "Fooly Cooly" marked with a yellow record outline, but this is the only place Sage shows any signs of knowing of the recording. As soon as I removed the manual record "Fooly Cooly" showed back up as a favorite in the Sage channel and the Sage Recording Schedule. It's like the manual record got lost in the conflict with the favorite(Futurama). Why this would happen is beyond me.

I hope I explained this well enough. I have attached my logs. These logs should show the many different manipulations I did of Futurama and Fooly Cooly.

PS:I just did one last test I marked "Futurama" as watched. When I did so Sage added the manual "Fooly Cooly" to both the Sage channel and the Recording Schedule. So it definitely looks like Sage is giving priority to the favorite(Futurama) over the manual(Fooly Cooly). I don't know if it's the fact that "fooly Cooly" is also a favorite that is messing Sage up or what.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv.zip (57.5 KB, 159 views)
Old 08-14-2003, 04:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hauppauge 250 Remote Issue

I tried as said above to remove keyboard_accelerators= line frome sage.properties but everytime I save and restart the sage software again it shows backup in the proprties. None of my remote keys on my remote are working since the upgrade to 1.4.8
Old 08-14-2003, 05:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Jeff, Just wanted to say the newest beta is the best yet. Only been running it for about 2 hours, but all the little things that I have been erked abolut seem to be fixed.

Great job
Old 08-14-2003, 05:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Just had one card after the other go black on recordings. Restarting the machine solved it... log file attached.

Regards,
Stuart
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_1.zip (227.2 KB, 164 views)
Old 08-14-2003, 05:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Spoke too soon

After a few hours of watching some recorded tv, the video began to stutter. I quite sage, and the restared sage to see if this would solve the problem. It did not. In fact, sage now begins to do a normal startup but then dies. I have restated the computer but the result is still the same. Attached is a log for your review
Old 08-14-2003, 05:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

oops...forgot the log
Attached Files
File Type: zip hs_err_pid612.zip (1.9 KB, 184 views)
Old 08-14-2003, 07:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Salsbst & Sailn, email Narflex per the above post #21 at support@freytechnologies.com and he'll send you a patched sage.dll file which will cure your problems you mention I'm pretty sure.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:04 PM
Sage

justme,

Thanks for the thorough explanation.
1. is designed this way so that if you have Favorites back-to-back on the same channel, it won't pad the overlap so a conflict won't occur.
2. is a bug, thanks for finding it. I just fixed it, it'll be in the next build (due out Monday, will be RC2). It had to do with creating overlapping Favorites or Manual Recordings that are on the SAME channel. It won't occur if they're not on the same channel.

IKK, you need to do this while SageTV is not running

salsbst, do you think that maybe that was due to the blackout in the northeast this afternoon? I didn't see any errors in the logs.

Sailn, I'm pretty sure I just fixed this bug earlier today. I'm attaching an updated Sage.dll file that fixes it. Let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sage.zip (84.2 KB, 171 views)
Old 08-14-2003, 07:06 PM
Sage

FYI - the Sage.dll file I just attached is the one jmeeks is referring to.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:34 PM
SageTVaholic

No, I don't think this had to do with the northeast power problems. They did not in any way affect the DC metro area.... cable service didn't go out... SageTV just started showing a black screen while trying to watch live tv... one card, the digital one, went down and then about 30 seconds later the second went down. This has been an occasional problem for me since I started using SageTV, across several versions. Sometimes quitting SageTV and relaunching it does the trick, other times it seems necessary for me to restart the computer. Most of these times, the problem seems to start as SageTV is changing a channel (via exetunerplugin and girder) on the digital cable box.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:25 PM
Sage Icon

RC1 still has a problem finding the XMLTV program data. If I let SageTV start on its own (at power-up) the XMLTV plugin can't find the epgdata.xml file. The log file has the following error

Thu 8/14 21:21:24.781 Setting the system clock to be Thu 8/14 21:21:26.699
java.io.FileNotFoundException: epgdata.xml (The system cannot find the file specified)

If I quit SageTV and run it from within the directory where it is installed (or via the installed shortcut), everything works correctly. What this means is when the PC reboots, I must kill SageTV and restart it via the shortcut.

All SageTV needs to do is change into the directory where it lives before launching the EPG plugin. It would be nice if SageTV could have a properties entry that told it where to find the epgdata.xml file, but that is probably too specific to the XMLTV plugin.

Thanks,

- Jonathan
TV Storage: 11 TB (4x1.5TB for recording, 5TB for archive)
Clients: 3
SageTV Extenders:5
Old 08-14-2003, 11:18 PM

To Narflex:
Thanx for your fast response time on my post. About #1:
Quote:
1. is designed this way so that if you have Favorites back-to-back on the same channel, it won't pad the overlap so a conflict won't occur.
I guess this is really a feature request but while you and I are on the subject: Would it be possible to allow favorites to have their stop time adjusted backwards, just like manual records can do. I tried entering a negative number(-1min.) in the custom stop time adjustment for a favorite but SageTV just converted it to 0 seconds. I now understand about SageTV wisely not bringing up a conflict on back to back recordings, but for certian shows I change the recording quality. This was the case with the Futurama(Good)/Fooly Cooly(Best) situation. So even though I did get the first 45 seconds of "Fooly Cooly" it was of a poorer quality and required additional editing. This was mildly annoying since my purpose was to edit/archive this show. Cartoon network's Adult Swim block is notorious for starting shows early.
If I could end the preceding(favorite) show early and then start the next(favorite) show early, without Sage thinking there was a conflict, this would solve the problem*(rough example at bottom). Right now it seems you can't do this with favorites. The only way to do this is with individual manual records for all these shows. This would really be tedious, keeping track of the all recording quality changes and start/stop time adjustments. For me there are at least 12 times a week where this is an issue. Allowing a negative stop time adjustment for favorites would really be great.
Of course this combined with the ability to define seperate favorites for the same show that are channel specific(just an option not default) would totally rule. I know the channel specific favorite part is really a feature that's even farther into the future, but I couldn't resist bringing it up.
If nothing else could SageTV allow early start padding in situations where the recording quality of back to back favorites changes? If there was a conflict Sage couldn't fix by recording one show at another time/channel. It could ask a question to verify that you wish to stop the preceding recording early, much like a more specialized conflict message question. I could then decide what was more important, better quality and maybe miss a show or get it all at a lesser quality. This would be a usefull temporary workaround until negitive stop time adjustment was added.IMO

*Simplified example of favorites adjusted:
Show1 on ch 52 START:10:00pm END:10:29PM QUALITY:Good
Show2 on ch 52 START:10:29pm END:10:59PM QUALITY:Best
Show3 on ch 52 START:10:59pm END:11:30PM QUALITY:Great

Besides adding the negative stop time adjustment. The most important thing would be that Sage didn't count 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 as being conflicts of favorites.

Thanx for all the great work. Sorry for trying to add more to it. Here's to a perfect 1.4.8RC2 release.

Last edited by justme; 08-15-2003 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:20 PM
Sage User

At least one problem gone with new sage.dll

Hello,

Saw Narflex's post above asking me to email support and they'd send me a file. I then saw that he'd posted the sage.dll file for download later. I figured that might be what he was going to send me in email, so I downloaded it and tried it.

So far, so good. SageTV now doesn't die when I first start it, even if I do leave the "ignore_encoders" line in the sage.properties file. Now, I'm just hoping the other problems are gone as well. Will notify if anything else comes up.

Thanks all! Especially Narflex! :-)

Last edited by brookb; 08-15-2003 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

250 remote problem solved

Yes I did install while sage was not running. It must have been some kind of conflect. I unistalled and removed the sage properties and reinstalled and worked fine.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sleep mode awake

By the way sorry for the new post. The sleep mode wakeup was not added to the new build. I tried the options in the post that was put up yearlier this week but I still cant use my Haugpauge remote 250 to wake my system up.

The reason this is important to me is I want a fully remote system with no keyboard. I would just put sage on menu but sage records everything on the channel it was left on and when it changes channels to record a program it stays on that channel and records everything after the recored program.

Thanks for the great job.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:01 PM

What about the -startup command. I have a shorctcut in my WinXP Startup folder to start SageTV in the taskbar using the -startup command. It no longer seems to work. I think it stopped around 1.4.5 or so.

Thinking that you had fixed the issue of Detailled Setup's "Load at Startup in Taskbar", I tried that option. Once agian I have SageTV trying to start whenever we use Win XP's fast use switching. And just as before it causes the main account that runs SageTV to get confused and either corrupt(no sound) or stop recording(at least while any other account is loggged on).

I made sure SageTV was installed with the "only install for this user" option at setup. I have not installed SageTV on any of the other accounts. Yet still it tries to start with every account I open.

This is frustrating in two ways. #1(Major)Whenever I or my wife log onto our personal accounts Sage is for all purposes disabled. #2(Minor) Even if we both use the SageTV account(our machines default login) you have a big blue window staring you in the face, that was gotten ride of long ago.

Is this a bug or is this a development change? If it's the latter please add it back.

Sorry for taking so long to report this but, my wife and I were both using the main account due to our recent reformat. My wife has now finally restored all her account preferences. Now she use's her account everyday, with the corresponding bad records by Sage. At first I thought it was a bad beta build of SageTV, til I watched her logon to her account.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:43 PM
Sage

fidget,
This is something inside the EPG Plugin. The creator of that would need to fix it.

justme,
The negative favorite's padding will be added in a later release, but not 1.4, I don't want to change anything like that at this point in the interest of stability.

For the startup problem, what's wrong with just keeping it in the startup folder like you had, what problems did that cause?
Old 08-15-2003, 05:54 PM

OK, so the "-startup" switch has been removed then?

Keeping it in the startup folder works fine functionally. It's just that since the -startup switch seems to have stopped working, it's just an aesthetic thing. That's why I said that #2 was just a minor(I should have said very minor) issue, since it only occurs at reboots. No big deal. It's just that once a feature was there, you miss it when it is gone.

Thanks for the all the hard work and feedback.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Angry DVD playback fails for me too :-(

As others have noted, DVD Playback is not quite there for me.

I use the same Cyberlink (PowerDVD SP) A/V filters and get the MPEG error dialog. I was able to get past this check with some Intervideo A/V filters, but then couldn't navigate nor get off the Root Menu.

I should note that this same A/V filter combination is what works flawlessly for me in ZoomPlayer...

I should also note that I use a DVD shortcut on my desktop which, when right-click'd, pops up a handy menu containing an "Eject" selection. After launching 1.4.8BRC1, that shortcut no longer works for some very odd reason. I just get a dialog saying "Please insert a DVD" from WinXP as if I instead selected the "Open" menu choice. Very odd...

Anyway, I'll attach my sagetv_0.txt file below in case that helps...
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0.txt (88.7 KB, 170 views)