SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-15-2005, 05:30 PM
SageTVaholic

I just tried this after setting back my STV to a copy of the original - had the dynamic menus installed before - on both a SageTV server and a SageTV Client. I could navigate the menus and enter values in the configuration but the graph was a no show on both server and client. I've switched back to my default with the dynamic menus for now but anything you want from me? I tried to follow your directions exactly including the studio ones - didn't want to introduce anything you hadn't done until it worked.

BobP.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi BobP,

Are you sure that you copied the two .dll files and the .class file into the SageTV directory? I noticed that the archive I posted actually has the files inside a folder. Basically the two .dll files and the .class file need to be in the same directory as SageTV.exe / SageTVClient.exe. If the files are in the wrong directory, I would expect the bahaviour that your are seeing (ie: menus work, but no graph ever shows up).
Old 11-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Sage User

No go for me either. I could access the menu but no graph displayed. Pretty much the same as BobPhoenix
Old 11-15-2005, 09:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deria
Hi BobP,

Are you sure that you copied the two .dll files and the .class file into the SageTV directory? I noticed that the archive I posted actually has the files inside a folder. Basically the two .dll files and the .class file need to be in the same directory as SageTV.exe / SageTVClient.exe. If the files are in the wrong directory, I would expect the bahaviour that your are seeing (ie: menus work, but no graph ever shows up).
Actually I thought of that so I copied the DLL's and the class file to the same directory as SageTV.EXE with the same results just didn't update my post - sorry. Unfortunately I haven't had time to do much experimenting with Studio to help you with this - sorry.

BobP.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hmmm, this might be a dumb question, but do you guys both have the .NET Framework 1.1 installed?

The only other thing I can think of is to ask you both to do two quick things:

1. Can you download and run DebugView (there is no installation, its a simple debugging monitor) from http://www.sysinternals.com/Files/DebugViewNt.zip and then run the plugin while thats running and send me the output? That will tell me if the plugin functions are even being invoked.

2. In Studio, under the tools menu (on the right hand side) there is a toggle called "Notify On Errors". If you run the plugin when that is toggled, do you get any errors?

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this pretty quickly. I've finished the primary work on porting my weather module. If this one doesn't work, though, I doubt that one would either.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:59 PM
SageTVaholic

I'll have to do that tomorrow night as I have an early day tomorrow at work - sorry.

BobP.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsbst
...I dunno lotusvball... Niel seemed to be releasing plugins from the hospital room while his wife was in labor!

LMFAO
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 11-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Sure for you maybe, but between work (my real job), wife and 2 young kids it doesn't leave much time to play. Heck it was hard enough building a stable system. Do you think osmosis will work?
You have just described my life.......

Jesse
Old 11-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hi Guys,

I sent the file to a friend who is trialing SageTV and the plugin seems to work well for him. He initially had copied the files in the archive to his STVS\SageTV folder instead of to his c:\program files\sagetv\sagetv folder and saw the same behaviour as you, but once he copied the files to the same folder that SageTV.EXE is in, he had no troubles.

Are you absolutely sure that SageTV.exe, BasicSystemMonitor.dll, SystemMonitorJNI.dll, and SystemMonitorPlugin.class are all in the same directory?

If they are, do you have .NET 1.1 installed?

If you do, please try the DebugView program I mentioned above because I'm totally at a loss to explain why it works fine on both of my machines plus a random other machine but won't work for you. There has to be a solution, though.

EDIT: If SageTV does not see the files in the correct location, the visible impact will be that you will not see the text "System Monitor" immediately to the right of the SageTV logo when the screen is opened, and you will not see the graph OR the "Checking Disk Space..." message that normally appears near the top of the screen in the center. If you DO see these things, but the graph still doesn't appear, tha would be useful to know.

Last edited by deria; 11-16-2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Will try again tonight.

I have .NET 1.1, the hot fix for 1.1 and .NET 2.0 currently installed so I can remove any of the updates if you think that will make a difference. I also will copy the files to the SageTV.EXE for sure this time. Thought I had but maybe I didn't. If I still have problems I will try the 2 items you mentioned previously.

BobP.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix
Will try again tonight.

I have .NET 1.1, the hot fix for 1.1 and .NET 2.0 currently installed so I can remove any of the updates if you think that will make a difference. I also will copy the files to the SageTV.EXE for sure this time. Thought I had but maybe I didn't. If I still have problems I will try the 2 items you mentioned previously.

BobP.
Cool, thanks. I don't think it should be necessary to remove anything from your system. If it comes to that, I'll install .net 2.0 on my own system and see if that breaks things.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well, I added .NET 2.0 to my system and everything still seems to be working with the plugin so I don't think thats the likely cause. I guess I'll wait and see what you find out tonight when you try things out.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Sage Icon

I haven't had time to try your plugin, but is it possible that the DLLs need to be registered first?
Old 11-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki
I haven't had time to try your plugin, but is it possible that the DLLs need to be registered first?
They shouldn't need to be. I didn't register them on either of the test systems I tried the plugin on. I'm hoping that BobPheonix's activities tonight will shed some light on whats going on. If you yourself do get some time to try it out, feel free to post your feedback as well.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:01 PM
SageTVaholic

OK not working yet. Not sure if it was because this wasn't a fresh PC or not.

Here is what I did:
Complete uninstall after backing up Wiz.bin/bak files
Deleted the existing directory
Fresh install and configure copy back Wiz.bin made sure recordings to come were listed
Copied BasicSystemMonitor.dll, SystemMonitorJNI.dll and SystemMonitorPlugin.class to the SageTVSrv\SageTV directory where SageTV.exe existed.
Copied system_monitor_1_2_13nov2005.stvi to SageTVSrv\SageTV\STVs\SageTV3 so that I wouldn't need to browse in Sage
Changed the STV file to a copy of SageTV3 that wasn't Read only anymore
Added the system_monitor_1_2_13nov2005.stvi
Opened Studio and added a menu to MainMenu - MainMenuContainer
Drag and Droped the SystemMonitorPlugin item on the new menu item
Closed studio and hit home to make the menu item visible
New item was outlined with a yellow line
Selected the new item got no graph
Opened Studio and turned on errors like requested in #2 and got the following error dialogs:
  1. Parsing Error: Unexpected ")" at column 71. Expression:AddGlobalContext("GlobalSystemMonitorPlugin",new_SystemMonitorPlugin())
  2. Parsing Error: Undefined Method SystemMonitorPlugin_RecreateGraphicalSummary Expression: SystemMonitorPlugin_RecreateGraphicalSummary(GlobalSystemMonitorPlugin)
So tried the DebugViewNT in #1 but it had nothing to report on so maybe I need to change a setting? So nothing to upload for you.

I will however upload my Sage directory listing but doubt that will help other than showing your files are in the same directory as SageTV.exe.
Hope I have given you enough to go on if not tell me what else you want.

BobP.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 02-10-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hrm.

When that error appears, can you click goto error and send a screenshot of where in SageTV Studio the highlight is placed? Its strange that you get the error but I don't, especially when the message seems to indicate that its a code error.

Perhaps PM me your email address and I'll try sending you the STV that I used this morning. At least then we'd know if its an import problem or a problem with something else. This is very strange indeed.

EDIT: The only other thing that jumps out at me is that you don't seem to install to the default directory. (ie: you use SageTVSrv). I'm can't imagine that would make a difference, though.

Last edited by deria; 11-16-2005 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Bob,

If I delete SystemMonitorJNI.dll, I get the same errors you are getting. For some reason your system isn't finding the .dll file even though its in the right spot I think. I'm not sure why that would be, though, or what to do about it. It's almost as if the startup directory for your sage installation was set to something other than the SageTV directory (or the .DLL search path is wonky). What happens if you try running SageTV.exe by opening explorer, going to its directory, and running it from there? I'm just pulling my hair out over this.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Tried both suggestions.

When I start SageTV.exe directly from the exe file it loads up normally and I still get the same problem with the plugin.

The graphic of the Studio "go to error" is below.

Don't sweat it too much it is probably because I have installed SageTV several times on this PC due to bad driver updates so that may have something to do with it I suppose.

I'm going to see if I can run a copy of SageTV Client on a VirtualPC that I will install Win2000 on from scratch. If I can get the menus to come up and then install your plugin maybe that will work and prove that it is just a system problem on my end.

BobP.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 02-10-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix
I'm going to see if I can run a copy of SageTV Client on a VirtualPC that I will install Win2000 on from scratch. If I can get the menus to come up and then install your plugin maybe that will work and prove that it is just a system problem on my end.
BobP.
I wouldn't go that far. Another user posted about having a similar problem. I'm going to email someone at Sage and see if I can find out why Sage isn't seeing the SystemMonitorJNI.dll file for you and I'll also try to reproduce the problem more on my end.

The only think I'd like to ask you do do is perhaps try the .STV that I'll send you in email and let me know which OS and version of Sage your using.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:07 PM
SageTVaholic

The Windows OS was MCE2K5 and the version of SageTV is 4.0.

I've had multiple installs of SageTV to 2 different directories on this computer as well as SageTV Client so maybe there are registry pointers that are confusing it - pure speculation.

If I can get the SageTV Client interface to come up on the VirtualPC session then I should be able to test the clean install theory.

BobP.