SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-05-2005, 01:36 PM

Same thing occured here... only simpler

hey all...
The same audio issue occured with me. I only have one tuner (pvr-150), and some channels lose audio some times. kind of nuts. I live in ohio and have a few different residences (college student). In Athens Ohio, channels 16-23 have nothing ever, while channel 39 has some stuff sometime. Up in Cleveland however, all appear to have audio. My setup is the same in both situations... taking in extended basic coax cable and outputting to sdtv. Concurring with the above, it's only sagetv that has the problem... the wintv that came bundled with the tuner has audio for all channels. Sorry not to offer any solutions, but maybe someone smarter than I can use this info to solve the master problem.

Oh, and i'm still running v3
Old 12-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think you'll find that the same channels that Sage has missing audio problems with are the same channels that are slightly of tune in WinTV2000. SageTV will drop all audio for these out of tune channels while WinTV2000 might just distort the sound. While you can fine tune channels in WinTV, you can't do a thing with them in Sage.

I gave up on my PVR-150 and installed an ATI Wonder Elite (Theatre 550 chipset). The new card has no problems with sound but SageTV will inevitably lockup (eventually) when changing channels on it while recording on the PVR-USB2 - a problem others have reported as well. Seems you can't place much confidence in a SageTV "officially supported tuner".
Old 12-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Fine tuning PVR150's for SageTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl-Z
While you can fine tune channels in WinTV, you can't do a thing with them in Sage.
There have been a number of people who have fine tuned their PVR150's for SageTV (actually fine tune in DirectShow tuning spaces).
I have done it and here is a link that might be of use:
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...403#post103403(don't get lost in the weeds on this one!)

There is also a newer tool for adjusting the frequency and it is here:
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ad.php?t=12068
I have not tried the newer tool but it looks promising. I just edited the registry by hand on the few channels I needed to tweek.

One other note is that signal strength could be a factor in the ability to sometimes get reception for sound in SageTV. A signal amplifier may help if the fine tuning can't solve the problems.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks very much for the links Para. Right now I'm using a different card (non-Huappauge) but eventually I'll put the PVR-150 back in and try fine-tuning and a signal boost. Interesting though that it is only the newer Hauppauge cards, i.e. the PVR-150 and 500 that have this problem.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Sage User

PVR 250 Sound problem

I also have problems with PVR 250 cards. I decided to ditch using sagerecorder and move my second PVR250 to my sagetv server. After adding the card I get a perfectly working sagetv system with two tuners, but after any restart of the sagetv program one tuner drops sound on all channels.

I've gone so far as removing sagetv, clearing out all haupauge drivers, reinstalling driver and sagetv. (I followed the procedures on SHSPVR's website nad used his latest beta drivers as well. All with the same results, works fine until SageTV is restarted. I've tried another PVR 250 card for the suspect one and the same thing happens.

I'm guessing a conflict, but don't have another slot to use and not sure why a conflict would behave this way. Anyway I took the card out of use just to be able to use SageTV, may try a USB PVR......
Old 12-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Well perhaps the missing audio problem isn't entirely to do with the PVR-150/500 and the drivers afterall. I believe that SageTV enters into it too. When I first add my PVR-150 as a new source, I select TV Tuner as the input and on that screen I can manually click up and down to preview the channels. When I do that I have perfect sound on every single one of my channels. Once I finish adding the card and test it on LiveTV I am missing sound on the same half dozen or so channels as always.

So how can the audio work at one point in SageTV and not once SageTV finishes adding it as a new source?
Old 12-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm not sure how Sage handles the sound during the preview as compared to other times. Did you ever check if the PVR150 sound was showing as mono in WinTV on those problematic channels? A *total guess* is that the PVR150 might be seeing those channels as mono and that Sage might be passing mono sound during preview but is not during regular usage. Again, a total guess.

Another thing to try would be to back up your config files and then try some clean ones (like from a fresh install) to see if that helps.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Red face

Hi,
I've been following this thread for a while since I have had the "no sound" issue also. It effects 2-3 channels which just happen to be premium movie channels (max, tmc). I have tried everything: edited registry, tweaked freq.,ran separate feed from source to Sage, etc. When I installed 2nd pvr 150 card it all of a sudden had no sound on 15 and I missed a favorite show. I finally had to remove second card because I could not rely on which tuner would tune a show. (Tried merit settings). It has been mentioned here to get a signal booster (RShack)--has anyone had any success with that?
Other than this erratating problem, Sage has worked flawlessly for me for 9 months.

Randy
Old 12-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelrandolph
Hi,
I've been following this thread for a while since I have had the "no sound" issue also. It effects 2-3 channels which just happen to be premium movie channels (max, tmc). I have tried everything: edited registry, tweaked freq.,ran separate feed from source to Sage, etc. When I installed 2nd pvr 150 card it all of a sudden had no sound on 15 and I missed a favorite show. I finally had to remove second card because I could not rely on which tuner would tune a show. (Tried merit settings). It has been mentioned here to get a signal booster (RShack)--has anyone had any success with that?
Other than this erratating problem, Sage has worked flawlessly for me for 9 months.

Randy
Sounds like you've gone through many of the same frustrations as me. As part of trying every reasonably feasible solution, I tried the signal booster too. It didn't help a bit. (Oh yeah, I've done the complete re-install too.) The only real solution that I can see is use a different tuner (not a PVR-150 or 500) or wait indefinitely until Hauppauge releases a working driver that fixes the problem.

Hey you're lucky you're only missing sound on 2-3 channels. I've got it happening on 8-10 of my channels. I have to be careful with juggling which of my tuners is going to be used at any given time so I don't make a recording on a problem channel with the PVR-150. I'm actually getting pretty good at it.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Red face

Thanks for the info CTRL-Z---I can save some money on the signal booster. This has driven me crazy--I had sound for a while on Max (after tweaking) but after changing my setup (from living rm to back room, etc.) I lost it again. Your right that I'm lucky with only a few channels.
Randy
Old 12-30-2005, 03:44 PM
Sage User

Was anyone able to get the sound working again? I only have a single PVR-150 and its starting to affect some recordings. I "only" have 75 channels, but when 12 of them aren't working it starts to be pretty noticeable. Especially since Discovery Channel is one of them. I know for certain that the channels worked with Ver 3.

I was able to get the channels to work in WinTV2000 by disabling AFT. I had to set each channel for a +2 to get them to work.

I tried the new drivers, freqshifter, and reinstalling Ver 4.0. I may try Ver 3 later tonight if I still have a copy of it.

Barry
Old 01-04-2006, 07:45 AM
Sage User

hi i have the same problem i use wintv 150 ntsc version i read the post i only need to download the beta version and is solved
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/suppo...rt_pvr150.html
Beta driver version 2035_23297
Fix for lack of audio on some TV channels when using the WinTV-PVR-150 and WinTV-PVR-500 under Windows Media Center Edition, Linux, SageTV or BeyondTV
http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/softw..._23297beta.zip
Old 01-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Sage User

I think I'm having a similar problem 2.

My wife keeps complaining about no sound on her shows when she watches TV during the day.

Over Christmas I added a second tuner (PVR150) to my existing setup that has a PVR250 in it. My wife is currently demoing the client version of sagetv. When it works it works well .

I haven't been able to spend much time looking at the issue, and I haven't noticed the problem myself yet. But today I had her try loading the channel on my system (the server) rather than via the client and she still had a sound issue.

I might try that beta driver that the previous poster mentioned. I'll post back in a few days if I have any success with that.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am having a similar problem. But, I am getting no audio on any channels (I have looked through 10+ channels. I didn’t look through every channel). At first I had sound and than after a day I lost sound all together. I think this maybe because I have a bad capture card or the onboard sound is trashed (onboard set to analog/digital mix mode).

I did a test to see if I could play mpeg2 files with sound on Theatertek player. I played a DVD and sound was present. I tried the same with mpeg2 file that I recorded in SageTV and I had no sound. The same thing happens in MS Media Player.

I am guessing the capture card is not encoding the file with sound correctly. I am open to any ideas that any of you may have.

FYI: SageTV 4.1 - Clean install of Windows XP
AMD 3300 / 512 RAM / NVIDIA 6600 / 160 HD

Thanks for your help in advance...
Old 01-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Sage User

I still haven't had time to try the beta driver from Hauppauge. Really busy right now.

I have observered something though.

1. My PVR250 on occasion doesn't initialize if I had a crash of the OS or shutdown hung or something like that. Also I keep my system in Stand By(I think S3 no fans going or anything) mode, not shutdown. Sometimes when I wake up from that mode my PVR 250 doesn't initialize. I have to reboot to recover. In this mode, the PVR isn't available to Sage and the IR software is the one that complains about the device not being initialized.

2. Now that I have 2 tuners in my system (PVR250 and PVR150) I don't see the IR software complaining about a device not being initialized. I think atleast once or twice I've noticed with in sage that only one tuner was available.

3. I've had a few sound loss issues, but as I primarly watch space (channel 47 here) I might be getting lucky. My wife has noticed it more often on channel 13 which she tries to watch.

When I get some time I want to reposition my cards in different PCI slots as I've read that might have an impact on my PVR250 not always being initialzed. Maybe it will do something for the sound. I'll probaby try the beta driver for the 150 to try and correct the sound issue.

At this point all I can suggest is look at trying the beta driver for the 150 (if that is what you have).
Old 01-11-2006, 08:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

Have you tried the beta drivers yet because I still have this issue...
Old 01-23-2006, 06:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

After some investigation I found out that this issue is occurring sometimes. It seems to happen randomly (at least that is the way it appears to me).

Here is an example: Recorded "24" on Sunday no sound. I rebooted the system on Monday to record that day’s episode of "24" new recording has sound. That is just the way it happens. I am still looking into why it happens sometimes and not others.

Anybody been experiencing the same issue?

FYI: This happens with SageTV 4.0 and latest 4.1 beta.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have one retail Hauppauge PVR250 and two Hauppauge Roslyn cards. I never really figured out if the audio was related to any specific card. But I un-installed Sage and then updated the drivers on all the cards (for the Roslyn cards, I used a driver found on http://www.shspvr.com/smf). I then re-insalled Sage (ver. 4.1.3) and Sage has been running for 3 days now with no audio issues.

- Josh

Client 1 & 2: 50in Samsung DLP, 34in Insignia LCD, nMedia HTPC180, WinXP Pro SP2, SageTV Client v7 beta, XBMC, AMD XP2800, 1.5GB RAM, 80GB hdd, ATI HD3450, built-in audio, Firefly
Old 01-25-2006, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsabre
After some investigation I found out that this issue is occurring sometimes. It seems to happen randomly
Anybody been experiencing the same issue?
I've tried all sorts of combinations just like many of us PVR-150 owners: the hcwclear, fresh XP instal on a different drive, beta drivers v2.0.35.23297, installing codec packs and trying different video/audio settings. What appeared to work at first glance was
video:mainconcept & VM9
audio:sage mpeg decoder
with the beta drivers where after many reboots the audio on the problematic channels was now working when I viewed live tv...BUT...then like you say sometimes it intermittently didn't record audio and even sometimes the video would be blank. I've pretty much given up at this point with the PVR-150 and I think the beta drivers v2.0.35.23297 that were supposed to fix the audio-channel issue with sagetv still need work (and it appears they even removed these from their website in the last couple of days!). I've reverted back to the original drivers for now and have to live with certain channels not recording audio until they build a stable driver.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage2-pvr150
I've tried all sorts of combinations just like many of us PVR-150 owners: the hcwclear, fresh XP instal on a different drive, beta drivers v2.0.35.23297, installing codec packs and trying different video/audio settings. What appeared to work at first glance was
video:mainconcept & VM9
audio:sage mpeg decoder
with the beta drivers where after many reboots the audio on the problematic channels was now working when I viewed live tv...BUT...then like you say sometimes it intermittently didn't record audio and even sometimes the video would be blank. I've pretty much given up at this point with the PVR-150 and I think the beta drivers v2.0.35.23297 that were supposed to fix the audio-channel issue with sagetv still need work (and it appears they even removed these from their website in the last couple of days!). I've reverted back to the original drivers for now and have to live with certain channels not recording audio until they build a stable driver.
I believe that they have finely fixed the issues with the PVR-150. I have been testing the new drivers and I no longer have audio issues. It is too early to tell but the people at the shspvr forums seem to be experiencing the same success that I have. See link below...

http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?...48279#msg48279