SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

For what it's worth, I was able to get debug_logging to work (had to use uppercase TRUE instead of lowercase true). I get two lines in the sagetv_0.txt file related to when the MVP attempts to start up:

Mon 12/19 8:00:36.523 Added MVP client to our bootp list 00:0d:fe:00:56:71
Mon 12/19 8:00:36.523 servername 192.168.10.2

The 192.168.10.2 IP is the IP address of the wireless NIC on the Sage TV PC. However, I would expect it to use the IP of wired NIC (192.168.0.1) since that is how the MVP is connected.

I haven't had any luck bridging the two connections, but it doesn't seem like I should have to do this - since I don't care if the two networks can see each other.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:57 AM
SageTVaholic

I thought they had to be on the same subnet.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
I thought they had to be on the same subnet.

Gerry
You're saying the two cards have to be on the same subnet for the MVP to work with Sage?
Old 12-19-2005, 09:35 AM

spacecadet
I having hard time seeing or picturing what you have setup.
Is there any reason why you need two NIC in one PC for you SageTV server?.
If I under stand you rigth you have wireless network router?.
One possable is a miss configuration protrocol
Yes the debug_logging for it to work has to be use in uppercase TRUE sorry I didn't post that but I fig you would like most people and just copy and paste the line in to Sage.properties file boy was I wrong hehehe.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS
spacecadet
I having hard time seeing or picturing what you have setup.
Is there any reason why you need two NIC in one PC for you SageTV server?.
If I under stand you rigth you have wireless network router?.
I live in an older house, so there is no ethernet wiring. All computers connect to a wireless router which is hooked up to a dsl modem.

I didn't want to invest in a switch and wireless bridge to get the MVP on the wireless network. And I also felt I'd get better performance if the MVP were wired (no stuttering due to wireless bandwidth). So, I ran a cable from the Sage TV Server directly to the MVP (since the MVP really doesn't need access to any machine other than the Sage TV Server).

So I guess it's two networks and the pictures looks like this:

[DSL Modem] -> [Wireless Router] -> [Sage TV Server via Wireless NIC 192.168.10.x subnet]

[Sage TV Server via Wired NIC 192.168.0.x subnet] -> [Wired Router] -> [MVP]

The MVP is the only device on the wired network (other than the Sage Server). I turned on ICS for the wireless connection, just to get the internet over to the wired side (for whatever reason) and to get the DHCP Server running on the Sage Servre.

As far as I am concerned, the MVP shouldn't even care that the wireless network exists. I would expect it to connect to the 192.168.0.x subnet and work happily. This setup has always worked fine for Matt's plug-in and I'd rather not have to change it, if possible. I was hoping as GPlasky suggested that using Windows to create a Network Bridge would get everything working, but I haven't had luck getting the Bridge to behave correctly yet.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:38 PM

Have try take advantages of Network Bridge if I under stand how it work then you don't need turned on ICS in fact the MVP should conn to Wirelees Router DHCP server to get an IP address.
See this page maybe it help with the Setup a Network Bridge.
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../wxpbrdge.html

There 2nd option Wireless/Hub and setup Static Routing which I think know as Access Point kind of the same with Hub that come with Uplink port

Last edited by SHS; 12-19-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS
Have try take advantages of Network Bridge if I under stand how it work then you don't need turned on ICS in fact the MPV should conn to Wirelees Router DHCP server to get an IP address.
See this page maybe it help with the Setup a Network Bridge.
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../wxpbrdge.html
Yup. this is what gplasky suggested and I haven't had luck setting this up yet. I think what is happening is that the MVP makes a DHCP request of the router, but for some reason the router sees the request as coming from the Wireless NIC on the Sage TV PC (due to the bridge, I suppose) and assigns it the same IP as the Sage TV PC. So I end up getting an IP conflict on the network.

I am still confused as to why a bridge is required here since this setup worked fine with Matt's MVP plug-in. I understand that I might be able to use a bridge as a workaround. But is there any reason that I shouldn't expect this to work as currently configured?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:04 PM

What about your laptop on the Network Bridge dose it also do the same thing?, Maybe there something is miss configure.
Keep in mind that Matt's plug-in works outside of SageTV Server so basely it ack as middleman which turn mean more memory etc, etc which there nothing wrong but can be a bit of problem with more then 2 MVP and 512MB system memory and pettey matt net code my also work diff as well.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS
What about your laptop on the Network Bridge dose it also do the same thing?, Maybe there something is miss configure.
Keep in mind that Matt's plug-in works outside of SageTV Server so basely it ack as middleman which turn mean more memory etc, etc which there nothing wrong but can be a bit of problem with more then 2 MVP and 512MB system memory and pettey matt net code my also work diff as well.
Yeah. The laptop on the bridge does the same thing. I get the address conflict error and the laptop shows an IP of 0.0.0.0

As far as Matt's plug-in vs. the Sage solution goes - I would definitely love to the get the productized support working. From what I saw of it for the 10 mintues I had it working it looked awesome, was much more responsive and fluid - so I know it will be great. That's why I haven't just reverted back to the plug-in yet. I'd like to make this work.

Thanks much for your suggestions so far.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:30 PM

Start over
1: Remove the Network Bridge and want install all the NIC
2: Make sure both the NIC are set to Auto before add in Network Bridge
3: Make sure ISC uncheck check the other stuff firewall, etc, etc.
4: Add then define manually the IP-address on the Network Bridge
192.168.10.?
Same subnet as Wirelees Router
Add to Default Gateway same IP as the Router 192.168.10.1
Add the DNS same IP as the Router 192.168.10.1
So all gose well it then should work
Old 12-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS
Start over
1: Remove the Network Bridge and want install all the NIC
2: Make sure both the NIC are set to Auto before add in Network Bridge
3: Make sure ISC uncheck check the other stuff firewall, etc, etc.
4: Add then define manually the IP-address on the Network Bridge
192.168.10.?
Same subnet as Wirelees Router
Add to Default Gateway same IP as the Router 192.168.10.1
Add the DNS same IP as the Router 192.168.10.1
So all gose well it then should work
Setting up the Network Bridge to use a static IP got me slightly further, but still no luck. Given my suspicion that the router thinks the MVP's DHCP request is actually coming from the Sage TV Server (since the request is wrapped using the hardware address of the Sage Server's wireless NIC, right?) and is attempting to reassign the same IP to both the MVP and the Sage Server.... I decided to assign a static IP to the Network Bridge that is outside of the router's lease range.

So, I gave a static IP of 192.168.10.101 to the Network Bridge. Then I plugged my laptop into the wired network and it was indeed given the IP that is normally assigned to the Hardware address of the Sage Server (I use static DHCP to make sure the Sage PC always gets 192.168.10.2). So, with the laptop now using 192.168.10.2, everything was working fine.

So, I unplug the laptop and plug in the MVP (expecting that the MVP will be assigned 192.168.10.2) and it still does not work. Here is what I get in the sagetv_0.txt log:

Mon 12/19 22:00:04.535 Added MVP client to our bootp list 00:0d:fe:00:56:71
Mon 12/19 22:00:04.535 Warning, request from 00:0d:fe:00:56:71 doesn't have IP.
Mon 12/19 22:00:13.654 Op:1 hwtype:1 hwaddrlen:6hopcount:0
transaction:813180793 nSeconds:100 flags:0
MAC: 00:0d:fe:00:56:71
Mon 12/19 22:00:13.655 Matched request to client 1
Mon 12/19 22:00:13.655 servername 192.168.10.101
Mon 12/19 22:00:13.785 Reading mvp.bin in mode octet
Mon 12/19 22:00:13.786 Opening file
Mon 12/19 22:00:23.232 TFTP timeout
Mon 12/19 22:00:23.772 At last block

So the MVP appears to be getting no IP address at all! And the MVP now hangs with the message "Starting Application"

Maybe my router isn't interpreting the packets from the bridged network correctly? Although I would expect my laptop would not work either if that were the case.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well, I finally got a setup that works semi-reliably. I'm using version 4.1.4 and set up the MVP to use a static IP (although I'm not convinced the static IP is working all that reliably). Here is the info in case anyone is interested.....

1. I eliminated the crossover cable connection from the MVP box to the Sage Server by adding a switch in between the two machines.
2. I enabled ICS on the Wireless NIC. This will set up the wired NIC to use a static IP of 192.168.0.1. Enabling ICS will also start a DHCP server to serve the wired connection. MVP is connected via the wired NIC.
3. Shutdown the Sage UI and stop the Sage TV Service.
4. Disable the Wireless NIC.
5. Restart the Sage TV service.
6. Power up the MVP.
7. The MVP may work at this point, BUT, if the "Contacting DHCP server" and "Contacting MediaMVP Bootserver" cycle begins - leave the MVP on and continue
8. Re-enable the wireless NIC. I have found that if the MVP did hang in step 7, that it may continue booting once the wireless NIC is reenabled (b/c the ICS DHCP server is started allowing the MVP to get an IP? dunno, but it seems to work).

Anyway, that's what I've got. If anyone else is having trouble in an odd network configuration like mine (using 2 NICs in the Sage Server), maybe this info will help.

So, hopefully these networking kinks will be ironed out in a future version.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

The 4.1.5 Beta fixed my networking issues. The MVP now starts up with no trouble in my mixed environment. Kudos to Sage!