SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-23-2005, 03:59 AM
Sage Icon

Just got it setup. At first it didn't work, just got stuck at the Loading Applications screen. Then I noticed I had a USB ethernet adapter connected to the server along with the Gigabit NIC. So I yanked out the USB ethernet, which wasn't being used anyway, and the MVP loaded the SageTV interface. So I'm not sure what the 2nd ethernet adapter was doing to SageTV, but I guess SageTV didn't like it. I didn't have to disable the "checksum offloading" either.

Overall, very little problems with the MVP extender for the 2 hours I played with it. Picture quality is better and brighter than Matt's plugin, which is always a bit dark for whatever reason. The FF/RW works differently than normal SageTV, but no big deal. I'm sure its configurable. Menu response is a bit better than matt's plugin, but its not instant either. And no fadings when switching menus. These are tiny quirks with the MVP extender. Overall its working really well for me.

The word TRIAL floats around the screen is not as annoying as people make it sound. I think it's a bit too much making them pop up everywhere, having it just sit in the corner would've been just fine. But it doesn't bother me. Now I'm waiting for my MVP license.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.

Last edited by mayamaniac; 12-23-2005 at 04:02 AM.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've got a question about the mvp .property file. Is there somewhere I can see what things are set in there and what the possibilities are?

Also, it possible to make fast forward and rewind skip like normal Sage TV rather than the smooth scrolling? If it is, what would I need to change in which .property file.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiegerner
I've got a question about the mvp .property file. Is there somewhere I can see what things are set in there and what the possibilities are?
The properties file for each MVP is in the clients subdirectory, under the SageTV dir. I believe it just saves the properties that have been changed from what is in sage.properties.

Quote:
Also, it possible to make fast forward and rewind skip like normal Sage TV rather than the smooth scrolling? If it is, what would I need to change in which .property file.
See this question; just change your options in Detailed Setup while using the MVP.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks Opus4, just what I was looking for.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:54 AM
Sage User

This post should be in several different threads on the forum because it seems people have a problem with paying for the client licenses. As far as paying $30 for an MVP client license, or for any of the client licenses, it is a bargain!

If we had to put a CPU/OS/Graphics card and drive next to each TV it would cost a heck of a lot more, take up a bunch of space and have poorer output quality.

The lifetime subscription to TiVo is what? $200 more than a Sage client?

We already have an MVP so yes we could use the clunky UI from that, but for $30 we will get all the functionality of Sage now and in the future!

People don't think twice about paying $200 for a graphics card or $140 for a 300gb drive to store all this stuff but then balk at the one thing that ties it all seamlessly together?

Plus, as I understand the license, it is a concurrent license. So even if you have 5 MVPs but only use 2 at any one time then you only need two client licenses. For everything that Sage brings to our lives don't you think it's worth paying them something??

Also, these are LIFETIME licenses and Sage just keeps getting better and better. We bought a server, 2 clients and a Sage Recorder license way back at V2.x and use it every day (well, except for the Sage recorder license). Whereas I have to pay every year to renew my virus scanner.

The license structure is great the way it is. The only changes I would be thrilled to see would be the capability to buy a license pack of X number of concurrent clients no matter which device they were running on. Oh, and I would like to see the ability to turn off one client and have another client be able to use the license without having to reboot the server so I could move from my main computer to a little used one in the garage more easily.

As someone suggested, a 5 pack of universal Sage concurrent clients for $100 would be great, so maybe you don't use two of those right away, but in a year when that 4th license will let you have full Sage capability on your PDA screen while on vacation in the mountains it will be money well spent. Or when a friend comes to stay for a week and they can just use one of the available licenses while they are there. You get the idea.

Anyway, my .03 is that $30 is a small price to pay for the usage we will get out of that license over the next xx years... long after we have had to pay a lot more to replace the hardware it's running on.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Is there any chance that CC support (Closed Caption support) is going to be available in the Media Extender?
Old 02-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Sage Expert

Probably about the same time as the PVR500/150 is supported

Bad, bad Dagar with naughty sarcasm
Old 02-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagar
Probably about the same time as the PVR500/150 is supported

Bad, bad Dagar with naughty sarcasm
Well, in another post, SHS posted this
Quote:
Hauppauge is also writing CC support directly into it's drivers for the 150/500 series to
Old 02-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Sage Expert

awesome news guess I better STF some more http://www.linuxbench.org/Posting.html

Update:

Ah, this thread
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...4&postcount=21

Last edited by dagar; 02-28-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to steingra
Remote Control buttons of MediaMVP

Is there a graphic that explains what each button on the MediaMVP remote control is used for, when used with the SageTV software. Most of them are obvious, but not all of them.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Administrator

It should be the same as what is shown in the SageTV manual, in one of the appendices.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Sage Expert

MVP not connecting for me

Just started trying to get this to work.

Using 4.11

If I turn on the two mediamvp services my mvp gets connected immediately.

If I turn them off and turn on the sage stuff, my media mvp gets an address from dhcp server and then just looks for a server, gives up and repeats.

While reading threads I see some odd things. My setup doesn't have a clients directory, should it? What should create that?

Followed the appendix m instructions to the letter. Placeshifting client is also turned on and tests okay, but haven't actually tried a remote client.

Do I need to install a test license or some such?

Thanks
Old 04-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to MrApollinax Send a message via AIM to MrApollinax
What router are you using? The DGL series routers from D-Link have had a problem interoperating with the SageTV MediaMVP implementation. A new mvp.bin with a workaround for this issue will probably be released with the next beta or be posted to this forum when it is ready.
Router: Dlink DGL-4300

Using Wireshark to Troubleshoot Network Issues with your SageTV Setup
Old 04-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Sage Expert

Actually, I have a linksys.

Seems like I've resolved the problem. Not sure what did it.

Turned off windows firewall and although there was an exception in it for the sage client service that may have helped. Also, disabled some vmware nics. Also, reset the gateway IP in the sage.properties (it was wrong.) Also, reset the advanced properties (turned them (server and media extender) off and back on. Then one more reboot. And had left the mediamvp unplugged for over an hour while doing those changes and eating dinner. Now it's working, but due to shotgun approach to troubleshooting not sure which one did it.

What ports should be left open in a personal firewall to let mediaextender and the placeshifting client get in?

Also, I didn't appear to have any overscan when using the happuage client, but now with the sage client (which is awesome by the way) I do have some overscan. How do I adjust that?

Thanks
Old 04-03-2006, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Crusher
What ports should be left open in a personal firewall to let mediaextender and the placeshifting client get in?
For now, that info is in this FAQ entry.

- Andy
Old 04-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Sage Expert

thanks, that's just what I needed. Sorry didn't find it with a search.

Now how about the overscan issue? I already bought an extender license as this works to well to live without <g> but I'm loosing the left side of the screen (maybe .25 inches.)

Again, when using mediamvp normal drivers I had no overscan issue.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Administrator

If you mean video playback, I don't believe there is any video overscan control. If you mean the UI, see Detailed Setup -> Multimedia -> Overscan Settings to adjust the positioning/size of the UI.

- Andy
Old 04-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Sage Expert

hmmm, problem was definately happening in the gui and thought it was happening with video also. I'll test some more tonight.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Sage User

Valid license, but thinks its a trial.

Hello all.

I just connected my MVP last night (running 4.1.12 - not yet updated to .14). Added the MVP license to Sage. MVP connected fine to the server, but I get some red text splattered on the screen saying this is a 7 day trial. I try to play imported videos, and I get a black screen and the word "Trail" bouncing around the screen like a screensaver.

Any ideas?
Old 04-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Make sure you have exited SageTV completely before running the program to add the extender license on the server.

- Andy