SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:23 PM

Not seeing the "Media Extender Server" option

When I go to the Detailed Setup -> Advanced menu, I don't see the "Media Extender Server" option in that list. I've already entered in a license for my MediaMVP. I've gone back to the standard STV, I've enabled and disabled the SageTV server, I've stopped and restarted the service. This is all to no avail. I have had no trouble using my client on my laptop to connect to the server. Just like the picture in the manual, there is no "Media Extender Server" option available. Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

**Update** I just needed to install newest beta, and voila, it works like a charm. **Update**

Joe

Last edited by MonkeyJoe; 04-20-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Make sure you have exited SageTV completely before running the program to add the extender license on the server.

- Andy

That's the ticket! Thanks Andy.

--John
Old 04-21-2006, 11:23 AM

Getting two non-concurrent MVPs to work with one license

Yesterday, I bought a media extender license to get my two MediaMVPs to work with SageTV 4.1 (I have been using Matt's extender before, but wanted to give the built-in support a try). These two MVPs are in two different rooms, connected to two different TVs that we never use at the same time. Therefore, I went ahead and bought a single license, thinking there would be a way to have both my MVPs working (non-concurrently) with a single license as advertised. However, there is no way to signal the SageTV server that you're not using one of the MVPs (using in my universe means actually watching something through it, not just having it plugged in) short of pulling the power plug off the MVP (at least none that I could find). Shouldn't hitting the green button on an MVP and putting it in "stand-by" let the other one to be used? In my case, doing this gets the other MVP to run in the trial mode. Please tell me there is a way to get this arrangement to work... Otherwise, I will have to go back to Matt's MVP client, and end-up with a useless license key that I paid good money for

Kavel
Old 04-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Administrator

The power-off button on the remote should turn the MVP off and release the license for use by another extender.

What SageTV version are you using? You can see the version number on the System Information screen. You should try the latest beta (v4.1.14) if you aren't running it already.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:22 PM

Thank you very much for the tip. With the newest beta, it works like a charm. I'm a happy camper now The boot-up time is slightly annoying, but I can live with that...

Kavel
Old 04-21-2006, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavel
The boot-up time is slightly annoying, but I can live with that...
But, with this latest version, the bootup time should only occur when you are turning the MVP on for the first time, after unplugging it. After that, you just use the power button on the remote to turn it off & on, and it should wake much faster because the power off is no longer a complete shutdown. My MVP now wakes up before the TV turns completely on.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Sage Expert

Can I cut to the chase and ask some possibly dumb questions:

Does the Haupauge MVP essentially act as a Sage Client thereby not needing a second PC to run Sage off of 2 TV's?

I have 1 RPTV hooked up to my PC running Sage. All I have to do now is enable the server mode on that PC and hook up my MVP via LAN to my second TV and I have 2 TVs running Sage? Does my main TV (the RPTV) hooked up to the server continue to function both as client and server to the MVP?

Where do I install the MVP Client license?

Please excuse the newbie type questions, I realize that the answer is burried somewhere in the forum.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy99
I realize that the answer is burried somewhere in the forum.
Actually, it is buried in the PDF manual on your hard drive. BTW: you can now access the manual via Setup -> Help -> View the Manual. See Appendix M, starting on p. 255 for v5.02.

It tells how to enter the license & should mention that it acts as a full client w/no 2nd PC needed. Your server continues to work as it always has.

- Andy
Old 05-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Actually, it is buried in the PDF manual on your hard drive. BTW: you can now access the manual via Setup -> Help -> View the Manual. See Appendix M, starting on p. 255 for v5.02.

It tells how to enter the license & should mention that it acts as a full client w/no 2nd PC needed. Your server continues to work as it always has.

- Andy
Dohh Need new glasses Ony thing is I am on Version 4.1 still.
Thanks for the hand holding Andy

Edit: Okay upgrade to 5.0.2. Now just waiting for my Haupauge Extender and PVR 500 capture card to arrive. I will post my results.

Last edited by roxy99; 05-06-2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Sage Expert

OK...I just bought and installed my MVP (decided on the wired version - because my TV doesn't move, why do I need wireless... )....Anyway. it was a very easy install and works just fine. However, I quickly realized I had a problem with movies using AC3. Then I proceeded to the forums to look for a solution.. I saw lots of questions, but couldn't find a solution. Is the only current option to convert my movies from AC3? or is there another solution or anything else?..I really don't want to convert the movies, especially if MVP will have AC3 support one day.

As always.... Thanks,

Gary
Old 11-03-2007, 08:10 AM

Question MediaMVP doesn't recognize STV registration.

I'm new to SageTV after five years with GBPVR. Downloaded trial STV version then purchased toward the end of a successful trial period. Successfully activated the program on my PC, but MediaMVP continues to show "trial period expired" despite resetting, power down and other quick fixes. Please help.

Otherwise I like the program very much. It's a nice, clean install compared with GBPVR, though I would like to see an internet (Shoutcast) plugin.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidewater_boy View Post
I'm new to SageTV after five years with GBPVR. Downloaded trial STV version then purchased toward the end of a successful trial period. Successfully activated the program on my PC, but MediaMVP continues to show "trial period expired" despite resetting, power down and other quick fixes. Please help.

Otherwise I like the program very much. It's a nice, clean install compared with GBPVR, though I would like to see an internet (Shoutcast) plugin.
Silly question, but did you purchase a MediaMVP or Placeshifter license?
Old 11-03-2007, 10:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainswor99 View Post
Silly question, but did you purchase a MediaMVP or Placeshifter license?
Aren't they one in the same thing? It is for me anyway.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
Aren't they one in the same thing? It is for me anyway.
Yes, the extender and placeshifter licenses are the same thing. I think they may be sold separately for tracking purposes.

I think sains is asking if tidewater bought a extender/placeshifter license with his SageTV purchase.

tidewater, did you purchase an extender or placeshifter license along with your SageTV purchase (if you bought the mvp from Sage, they should ahve included an extender license). If so, you need to register the license on the server to get rid of the trial message. If not, you need to purchase either http://store.sagetv.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=SS or http://store.sagetv.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=SS and register the license on the server.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:13 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
tidewater, did you purchase an extender or placeshifter license along with your SageTV purchase (if you bought the mvp from Sage, they should ahve included an extender license). If so, you need to register the license on the server to get rid of the trial message. If not, you need to purchase either http://store.sagetv.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=SS or http://store.sagetv.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=SS and register the license on the server.
That did the job. Chalk this up to newbie confusion. I didn't realize a second license was needed. Many thanks for your quick and effective input!!
Old 11-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Sage Icon

glad to see you got it working.

Now, with that mvp/extender license you bought, be aware that it is very flexable. You only need a license for an active mvp/extender connection. You can have multiple MVPs share 1 license by turning off any unused MVPs and only turning on the MVP that you want to actually use at the time. And if you had all your MVPs turned off, the license will be available for a placeshifter connection over the internet.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
MVP won't connect to bootserver

I've followed the instructions to the letter, but I don't think sage is creating the clients folder as necessary like its supposed to what can I do to help it along
Old 01-04-2008, 05:41 AM
SageTVaholic

It's not going to create the clients folder until the MVP can connect. You need to troubleshoot your network issue. Do you have DHCP running to deliver an IP address to the MVP? Is it on the same subnetwork?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
It wasn't the network I had this problem before and had fixed it in the long long ago but recently I scrubbed the whole thing and started over, and had forgotten what I fixed all it took was tracking down an old old backup of a properties file and about an hour of looking for something that I could remember from so long ago it has been repaired by replacing settings in the properties files

Quote:
miniserver/automvp=true
miniserver/clients=MVP/00\:0*\:2*\:0*\:9*\:0*\:ed/192.168.*.21*
miniserver/delay_between_connections=15000
miniserver/forced_server_ip=192.168.*.209
miniserver/gateway=192.168.*.1
of course the "*'s" are for my networks security