SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-19-2005, 01:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
Bob, I've also got an ASUS K8N-E deluxe. AMD 64 nForce3 250Gb. WinXP Pro that I threw Sage on to test just now. No go.
Yes I even went so far as to create a dual boot system with WinXP Pro with service pack 1A only and only the drivers installed - no windows updates and it still wouldn't work. I'm wondering if it isn't the nForce Lan that is causing the problem. I may try an extra Linksys card I have and see if that works. The reason I wonder about that is that on the K8N-E with a VirtualPC session it works fine with Java 1.4 and most of the time with Java 1.5.

BobP.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelrandolph
My new nforce 4 board will not work (Media MVP) but my old cheapo Fry's board ECS works great.
Randy
You don't have the NForce hardware ethernet firewall activated by any chance do you? That thing is a major PITA - you really want it off.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix
The reason I wonder about that is that on the K8N-E with a VirtualPC session it works fine with Java 1.4 and most of the time with Java 1.5.

BobP.
Man, great minds think alike I was just about ready to do that myself.

I've also got a ECS K7VTA3 that I'm building up for my mom. When I get done with it, I'll try Sage on that also.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well I'm glad you guys have some time to look at this. I'm at work so I can't do anything but it looks like we maybe making some progress in isolating the problem systems. Am I correct in assuming that most of us that are having the critical problems/client reboots are using some derivitive of the nForce chipset with the onboard NIC card (NVidia nForce Networking Controller) or something like that? I haven't had a chance to sniff the packets to see if there is any network errors that are evident. Could there be something else on the chipset causing a problem? My thoughts on the MVP in this scenario is that Sage is basically streaming the MPG to the MVP and the MVP does all of the decoding. The Sage server should do nothing but stream a file. Has anyone tried the same thing with an Mp3 file from their music library? I did and I get the same results with an Mp3 so it would APPEAR that is not isolated just to video at least on my system.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:20 PM
Sage Icon

Yup, using onboard nForce NIC. Did not install the nForce Firewall software though.

and yes, MP3's don't work either.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabrue
Well I'm glad you guys have some time to look at this.
Actually I'm at work too so I won't be able to try my lastest suggestion for another couple of hours yet.

BobP.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesm
You don't have the NForce hardware ethernet firewall activated by any chance do you? That thing is a major PITA - you really want it off.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike, I will have to check that--didn't really know about it. Thanks.
Randy
Old 12-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

What about NIC drivers? I am using the drivers from the MSI website. Just found some newer ones and will install those and try. Has anyone tried the nForce drivers from the nVidia website for their board?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Just installed a Linksys Gigabit Lan card in my ASUS K8N-E deluxe that wasn't working.

Works great now. I'm satisified its the nForce lan.

Now I just need to find out how to disable the probable cause - the firewall. The ASUS had the firewall software installed for a while but I uninstalled it so something must have been left over. That does not however explain the MSI that I use as my current SageTV server - I never installed the software in the first place so the default settings must be causing this problem. Now to look through the manual and see if I can disable something that will fix this problem.. Tips would be welcome.

BobP.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Sage Icon

Good job Bob!!

Hopefully we can figure out a real fix for this though. I would hate to have to lose my last open PCI slot for a NIC card. Although, bumping up to gigabit would be nice, but not at the cost of a slot.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:47 PM
Sage

NForce chipset eh? We'll have to give that a try...

Thanks for all the feedback so far!
Old 12-19-2005, 07:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix
Now I just need to find out how to disable the probable cause - the firewall.
Well upon further research the MSI board doesn't have a hardware firewall like the ASUS so it may just be the drivers. I believe that I have the most current for the MSI - 5.10 and I think 4.4.2 for the ASUS - latest one I could find on their sites anyway.

BobP.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

You da man Bob! I had a feeling we were on to something with the nForce NIC. I agree we need to find the proper fix WITHOUT having to change the NIC. PCI slots are too valuable these days with all the cards I need to add!
Old 12-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Sage Icon

I'm having the same problem with an older Gigabyte board, which is using a 3com etherlink xl card. Not sure the chipset, but it's an old socket 423 1.4ghz P4 with 1g memory. When I run the MVP, my CPU usage on this box goes through the roof (comparitively). Average is around 54%, but when trying to play video it spikes upwards of 80% (pre-4.1.3 was at most around 45%, average around 20%).
Old 12-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Sage Icon

Hey guys I got it figured out on my system.

If you go into the properties for the nForce networking controller, you can change the "checksum offload" in the Advanced Tab, from enable to disable.

That'll fix the problem. Works on my main MSI K7N2 and also the ASUS K8N-E deluxe
Old 12-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Sage Icon

Same thing fixed my 3com card, but I had RX & TX (disabled both). After primetime viewing is over (WAF went through the floor when I changed those settings, remember folks, always make changes after the boss is done watching TV ), I'll try each individually, and see which kills the MVP.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
Hey guys I got it figured out on my system.

If you go into the properties for the nForce networking controller, you can change the "checksum offload" in the Advanced Tab, from enable to disable.

That'll fix the problem. Works on my main MSI K7N2 and also the ASUS K8N-E deluxe
Now who's the man!!! Works for me on the Asus too. Can't make the change to the MSI until tomorrow night now - darn.

Do you know if that setting will have any negitive affects?

BobP.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Cool ke6guj! Can't wait to give that a try. I was going to try enabling/disabling some of the driver options whenever my kids went to sleep so you saved me a TON of trial and error I'll let you know if it fixes me as well.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Do you know if that setting will have any negitive affects?
I dunno. After I figured it out, I did some googling on the issue and it does seem like a common problem on certain applications. They would turn it off with no major noted affects.

I'm still having to mess with it some, My ASUS that I just popped Sage on to test this stuff worked fine supplying imported files. However, my main server, the MSI, is spiking the SageTVService whenever I do anything, pause, play, ff, etc. It'll peg it for a couple seconds, then drop down to 5%, and the next time I touch the remote, it'll do it again.

Even when watching liveTV, it takes about 10 seconds to start the new file at the top of the hour. But, hey, I'm closer than I was an hour ago

edit: nevermind. It' looks like I just needed to reboot the server. Now my MVP is running ok on my production server.

Last edited by ke6guj; 12-19-2005 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

The purpose for checksum offload is to let the NIC processor handle some of the layer 2/3 functions of IP traffic. It "pre-processes" IP packets so that the CPU does not have to perform the task. It can greatly improve system performance so it is a good thing to have but obviously if it doesn't work with it, it's got to go (At least until Sage can find out why this causes a problem and fixes it)

Last edited by jlabrue; 12-19-2005 at 09:18 PM.