SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi all,

I don't see it in the list of changes, so does that mean the green screen issue some have been experiencing is not fixed?

I would like to know, before i start the update testing if it is fixed.

Henk99
XP Pro SP2, SageTV v5.02.90, Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB 333 MHz), 2GB DDR RAM PC3200, 36 GB Western Digital Raptor, 200 GB Western Digital harddrive, Asus Radeon 9600 XTR, Plextor PX-708 8x DVD-/+RW, Pioneer 120S 48x CD-RW, PVR 150 MCE (2). Hauppauge MVP.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by henk99
Hi all,

I don't see it in the list of changes, so does that mean the green screen issue some have been experiencing is not fixed?

I would like to know, before i start the update testing if it is fixed.

Henk99
Well i have a pal MVP, and I didn't have a green screen with power down, but the mvp seemed to crash. Because when I tried to power it on again with the remote, it booted up. Not the "sagetv is booting media center" screen but the real hard reboot screen.
Also the properties file wouldn't stick. It always reverted back to the default settings. The properties file was written correct. But after rebooting the mvp, it just had the default settings again. This most likely has to do with the mvp not shuting down correctly.
Oh well, I have reverted back to the 4.1.4 mvp.bin and that is working quite well.
Keep up the good development.

Marneb
Old 01-18-2006, 04:54 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by marneb17
Well i have a pal MVP, and I didn't have a green screen with power down, but the mvp seemed to crash. Because when I tried to power it on again with the remote, it booted up. Not the "sagetv is booting media center" screen but the real hard reboot screen.
Also the properties file wouldn't stick. It always reverted back to the default settings. The properties file was written correct. But after rebooting the mvp, it just had the default settings again. This most likely has to do with the mvp not shuting down correctly.
Oh well, I have reverted back to the 4.1.4 mvp.bin and that is working quite well.

Marneb
same on my mvp's
Server - Lenovo K320 with WindowsHomeServer2011, 10 Terabyte HD's on stablebit drivepool, (1 x DuoFlex CT Octopus PCIe DVB-C 4 Tuner all with LM-DVB-SmartRecorder, dbox2, run SageTV as Service, DeskNow Mail and Collaboration server, 2 Terabyte NAS (Ximeta) as seconf backup, 1Gb/s MSI ePower HD Network, 3xHD100, 1xHD200, 1xHD300, Panasonic LCD 55" TV, Sharp LCD TV, JVC LCD TV, Touchscreen LCD, PlaceShifter
cu at http://www.dbuschek.de
Old 01-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

It seems like this fixes the network issues with the tx/rx offloading on network cards. Mine seems fine, how about everybody elses? I can not beleive how much faster the UI is on the MVP, it is really much more usable now. Good work!
Old 01-18-2006, 08:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to MrApollinax Send a message via AIM to MrApollinax
As I said in my post on the mvp.bin beta thread this release fixes all my MVP playback issues. Great job guys!
Router: Dlink DGL-4300

Using Wireshark to Troubleshoot Network Issues with your SageTV Setup
Old 01-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Have any of you pal users succesfully used the server -> mvp transcoding feature? I'm wondering if you get the large black bar at the bottom of the screen or any other problems.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Dangit!!!! I didn't check the Sage Forum's last night (I was lazy and watching movies I had recorded on Sage over the last couple of days!) and now I see that we had a 4.1.5 release!! GRRR!!!!! and now I am going on vacation starting Thursday afternoon. Good thing I have tonight and during the day tomorrow to play. I am assuming the avermedia card they mentioned is not the Avermedia 1500MCE (since they have supported that card forever) but rater the Avermedia M113 (Avermedia PVR 150 Plus) and if this is the case THANK YOU!!!! You guys rock!!! I have 3 of them and have been waiting for support for this card for about a month! I was actually considering moving to Beyond TV since it supported it but their great customer support people kept telling me to be patient and I am assuming my patience has paid off! Maybe I am getting a head of myself but if this is true, then Sage is great and I will never recommend any other pvr software to anyone else!
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 01-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiegerner
Have any of you pal users succesfully used the server -> mvp transcoding feature? I'm wondering if you get the large black bar at the bottom of the screen or any other problems.
Try changing this property:
media_server/transcode_quality/DVD=-f dvd -b 4000 -s 720\:480

to be

media_server/transcode_quality/DVD=-f dvd -b 4000 -s 720\:576

and then it should do it at PAL resolution.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Sage

Quote:

Marneb
The MVP will do a full reboot when you use the power button now. That way you never need to unplug/replug it when you upgrade the server; you'll just need to power it on and off.

The properties should stick OK; can you give me the example of what properties specifically are not sticking?
Old 01-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrApollinax
As I said in my post on the mvp.bin beta thread this release fixes all my MVP playback issues. Great job guys!
Seems to have fixed mine too.. but I only tested sparingly last night.. I need a solid weekend to be certain! But at this point, any improvement is a welcomed improvement!

Old 01-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
The MVP will do a full reboot when you use the power button now. That way you never need to unplug/replug it when you upgrade the server; you'll just need to power it on and off.

The properties should stick OK; can you give me the example of what properties specifically are not sticking?
Well the stv isn't sticking. I use the dynamic menu import. I imported it into this releases stv's .xml file. It will work as long as the mvp stays up. Even the .properties of that mvp client is written to the harddrive on the server. But as soon as I reboot the mvp it, it reverts to default stv again.

The only problem with the hard boot is, that it takes quite a bit longer than the soft-off. But that would be OK for me. Does the power-consumption go down, as well?

Marne

Last edited by marneb17; 01-18-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Whoah Nelly!

I just updated to the 4.1.5 beta from the 4.1.3 production release.

I saw a green video screen after initial playback, but rebooted again and I have not seen it since.

However, the much larger issue: The MVP UI / remote response is INCREDIBLY / UNBELIEVEBLY slow!!!!!!! What happened? When I navigate through the menus the screen feedback is delayed 4-5 seconds. Once I get to the video playback screen the playback is ok, but remote response is still horrible.

Remote batteries are fresh.

Network is wired 1Gb, everything was cool with 4.1.3 (although remote was a little slow, but managable)

Thoughts?

-MrD
Old 01-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to MrApollinax Send a message via AIM to MrApollinax
I'm seeing the exact opposite of what you are seeing. MVP UI is much more responsive than it was with the "alpha/beta" mvp.bin files that were released to address different issues. I only use the Hauppauge remote to control the MVP right now but I'll try to program my Harmony remote to emulate the haupppauge remote and see if there is any difference.
Router: Dlink DGL-4300

Using Wireshark to Troubleshoot Network Issues with your SageTV Setup
Old 01-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

fyi, I am using the Hauppauge remote, and perhaps it is not the UI rendering, but it definitely does not respond to input controls.

One other thing. The reboot of the MVP takes a good 2-3 minutes now too.

I am using the SageTV service (i.e. windows service) and I did drop it before the upgrade and restart after the upgrade was finished.

Last edited by MrD; 01-18-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Sage

MrD, are you using an IR blaster? I just found a bug in SageTV this morning on my own system at home when I upgraded it which is just like you describe. There was a race condition with the UI and the recording system where they'd both try to load the IR tuning plugin (which would really screw things up) and cause it go into an infinite loop trying to tune it. This wouldn't happen if the recording engine by itself loaded the plugin first (i.e. it will only happen if you select something to watch which would need the IR tuner plugin and the plugin had not been initialized yet)

This is fixed for the next build. This bug has been around for a long time (based on where it is in the code) so I'm curious if this corresponds to any other issues people may have been having where Sage would hog the CPU.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Try changing this property:
media_server/transcode_quality/DVD=-f dvd -b 4000 -s 720\:480

to be

media_server/transcode_quality/DVD=-f dvd -b 4000 -s 720\:576

and then it should do it at PAL resolution.
Thanks Narflex, that did the trick

Could anyone give me some idea of the minimum specs my machine would need to be to transcode properly?

My sage server is not quite powerful enough to transcode the stream at the moment. It has an 2200+ processor with 512 ram. I'm currently thinking of an upgrade to a 2800+ (maybe a sempron?) and 1 G ram but am not sure if this would give me enough juice.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
MrD, are you using an IR blaster? I just found a bug in SageTV this morning on my own system at home when I upgraded it which is just like you describe. There was a race condition with the UI and the recording system where they'd both try to load the IR tuning plugin (which would really screw things up) and cause it go into an infinite loop trying to tune it. This wouldn't happen if the recording engine by itself loaded the plugin first (i.e. it will only happen if you select something to watch which would need the IR tuner plugin and the plugin had not been initialized yet)

This is fixed for the next build. This bug has been around for a long time (based on where it is in the code) so I'm curious if this corresponds to any other issues people may have been having where Sage would hog the CPU.
This might explain my situation where if I ran the Service and client on the box at the same time I would hit 100% CPU. What I finally tracked it down to was that up to this point I had not used blasting with the USB-UIRT, only receiving. This time I had setup a tuner for the cablebox and had setup the USB-UIRT for blasting. Every time I would run the Service and the client on the server it would go to 100%, especially once I entered the Program Guide. So for awhile I was just running the UI. Then I reconfigured the tuner for straight cable and no blasting. All 100% CPU issues went away. I run both the Service and the client with no issues. Sounds like this might help my situation.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:39 PM
SageTVaholic

What's fast file switching?
Old 01-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Sage

It's when the media player switches from one file to another without reloading itself.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Well the stv isn't sticking. I use the dynamic menu import. I imported it into this releases stv's .xml file. It will work as long as the mvp stays up. Even the .properties of that mvp client is written to the harddrive on the server. But as soon as I reboot the mvp it, it reverts to default stv again.
I uninstalled it and did a reinstall and now it sticks.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have two mvps.
Oh well, now it is working.
But I have seen something else. After some reboots the video stops every 1-2 second for maybe half a second and then continues.
But this only happens after some boots, but on every video that I play. After a reboot of the mvp it is OK again.

Marneb