SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
MrD, are you using an IR blaster?
Short answer no.

SageTV is using an external IR control (i.e. the EXETunerPlugin). It is tied to girder, and girder is using SLinke to tune the DirecTv box. Not sure if this is the same code path you describe.

The issue with the MVP (assuming all IR is internal here, except for "live" tv) happens regardless of watching a recording or "live" tv, or even navigating the setup menus.

Also note that the menus are configured to *never* have video on them.

Would it be possible to make the power off feature configurable? I like the notion of completely powering down the MVP, but the restart time is too long.

-MrD

Last edited by MrD; 01-18-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrD
Short answer no.

SageTV is using an external IR control (i.e. the EXETunerPlugin). It is tied to girder, and girder is using SLinke to tune the DirecTv box. Not sure if this is the same code path you describe.
This is the same code path; so that would explain your problem. Any kind of tuning plugin (internal or external; with the exception of the internal DirecTV serial control) would fall under that same code path.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Cool. Thanks!

Not sure what excerbated the problem with the beta release though, if the race has been there for a while.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Sage Icon

Thumbs down

It's really unforetunate that the option to turn on and off CC has been removed from ver4. Why in the world would you guys remove a feature which a lot of us use?

I have no way of controlling this option now, and with 4.1.4 sometimes it would just start displaying with zero input from me right in the middle of a show. The only way to stop it has been to restart sageclient.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:10 PM

My wife uses Sage via an extender primarily to listen to mp3s. After some random amount of time, the extender will simply turn itself off. It usually requires removing power to get it to come back. I was hoping 4.1.5 would resolve this problem, but no luck. I did manage to grab the following from the debug log:

Wed 1/18 17:49:55.932 Got exception when reading input socket : java.io.EOFException
Wed 1/18 17:49:55.933 Killing UIMgr UIManager:localhost@@000dfe00922c
java.io.EOFException
Wed 1/18 17:49:55.938 VF logFileWatch doneAir=A[17004,4225,"The Downward Spiral",0@1021.01:14,6] theTime=Fri 10/21 1:14:23.912 recTime=Fri 10/21 1:14:23.912
Wed 1/18 17:49:55.939 Error with MiniPlayer, closing UI: java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: socket write error
Wed 1/18 17:49:55.940 stopPush0()
java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: socket write error
Wed 1/18 17:49:55.945 Closing down MiniPlayer
Wed 1/18 17:49:55.945 closeDriver0()
java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: socket write error
Wed 1/18 17:49:55.950 Seeker.finishWatch(UIManager:localhost@@000dfe00922c)
Wed 1/18 17:49:55.951 Killed VideoFrame
Wed 1/18 17:49:55.963 Closing MiniInput
Wed 1/18 17:49:55.964 Killed EventRouter
Wed 1/18 17:49:55.965 Killed Studio
Wed 1/18 17:49:55.966 MiniUI client error:java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

Any ideas?
Old 01-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Can the transcoder transcode just music files? Say MP3 to something the MVP can play?

-Matthew
Old 01-18-2006, 07:46 PM
Sage Fanatic

The MVP should support MP3 natively, so there would be no need to transcode it.

-PGPfan
Old 01-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer
It's really unforetunate that the option to turn on and off CC has been removed from ver4. Why in the world would you guys remove a feature which a lot of us use?

I have no way of controlling this option now, and with 4.1.4 sometimes it would just start displaying with zero input from me right in the middle of a show. The only way to stop it has been to restart sageclient.
We never removed that option. I've personally tested it and it worked. Are you sure something isn't different in your configuration? (I know this topic has come up in other threads)
Old 01-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Sage Icon

Sorry Jeff... I'm an idiot and I forgot the set the properties file correctly.

Although with CC off in the properties file still has the CC appearing at random, that's weird, but not a major issue I guess.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:38 PM
Sage Fanatic

mvp's don't retain chosen .stvi

After powering the MVP off with the new 4.1.5 I noticed both my mvp's now restart and reinstall the application using the default sagetv stv! I can easily reselect the correct stv, but it is a bit tedious to do so after every power off and power on.

Has anybody found a way around this yet?
Old 01-19-2006, 12:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman
After powering the MVP off with the new 4.1.5 I noticed both my mvp's now restart and reinstall the application using the default sagetv stv! I can easily reselect the correct stv, but it is a bit tedious to do so after every power off and power on.

I had the same think happen to me. But now it is gone.
As I wrote before, I did a reinstall. I am thinking that it may get confused with 2 clients and reads the wrong properties file. Maybe you could check both your mvp clients.

Marneb
Old 01-19-2006, 01:01 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman

i have renamed the sagetv3.xml as sagetv3.xml_ and rename my ma_sagetv3_3_7.xml as safetv3.xml.

bad hack but it works.
Server - Lenovo K320 with WindowsHomeServer2011, 10 Terabyte HD's on stablebit drivepool, (1 x DuoFlex CT Octopus PCIe DVB-C 4 Tuner all with LM-DVB-SmartRecorder, dbox2, run SageTV as Service, DeskNow Mail and Collaboration server, 2 Terabyte NAS (Ximeta) as seconf backup, 1Gb/s MSI ePower HD Network, 3xHD100, 1xHD200, 1xHD300, Panasonic LCD 55" TV, Sharp LCD TV, JVC LCD TV, Touchscreen LCD, PlaceShifter
cu at http://www.dbuschek.de
Old 01-19-2006, 03:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Warning...Stupid question coming......

In the original post i saw this

Quote:
There's also experimental transcoding support for the MVP in there (set the property enable_transcode_streaming=true to try it out)
What is that? What does it do? Sorry to be this ignorant, but i have no idea what this is. Can someone please explain?

Henk99
XP Pro SP2, SageTV v5.02.90, Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB 333 MHz), 2GB DDR RAM PC3200, 36 GB Western Digital Raptor, 200 GB Western Digital harddrive, Asus Radeon 9600 XTR, Plextor PX-708 8x DVD-/+RW, Pioneer 120S 48x CD-RW, PVR 150 MCE (2). Hauppauge MVP.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:47 AM
Sage Icon

It means that you can watch non-mpeg videos, such as .avi and .wmv's, on your MVP. MVP's can only natively play mpegs so the server has to recode the .avi/.wmv on the fly and send the MVP an mpeg. Takes some horsepower to accomplish this, hopefully your 3000+ should be capable.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
It means that you can watch non-mpeg videos, such as .avi and .wmv's, on your MVP. MVP's can only natively play mpegs so the server has to recode the .avi/.wmv on the fly and send the MVP an mpeg. Takes some horsepower to accomplish this, hopefully your 3000+ should be capable.
Thanks for explaining!

Does this include DivX/Xvid and so on? Anyway, it says that i should only switch on that rule in the properties file. Is that really all there is to it, or are other settings required?

Henk99
XP Pro SP2, SageTV v5.02.90, Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB 333 MHz), 2GB DDR RAM PC3200, 36 GB Western Digital Raptor, 200 GB Western Digital harddrive, Asus Radeon 9600 XTR, Plextor PX-708 8x DVD-/+RW, Pioneer 120S 48x CD-RW, PVR 150 MCE (2). Hauppauge MVP.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

Power on/Pwer Off

Hi,

Yesterday i have installed version 4.1.5 to see if this solved the greenish screen issue i had in 4.1.4. And it did, it was fine now, and also power on/power off works.
But.....Is it really the best option to let the MVP reboot on Power On? I ask this because it takes quite some time to boot up. I keep referring to Matt's plug-in, which had an instant on/off function when pressing the power button.
I don't want to be nagging, but isn't completely rebooting all the time a little over the top?

Just interested in everybodys opinion on this.

Henk99
Old 01-19-2006, 06:35 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by henk99
Hi,

Yesterday i have installed version 4.1.5 to see if this solved the greenish screen issue i had in 4.1.4. And it did, it was fine now, and also power on/power off works.
But.....Is it really the best option to let the MVP reboot on Power On? I ask this because it takes quite some time to boot up. I keep referring to Matt's plug-in, which had an instant on/off function when pressing the power button.
I don't want to be nagging, but isn't completely rebooting all the time a little over the top?

Just interested in everybodys opinion on this.

Henk99

I kinda agree. If I want to do a complete power off I would simple unplug the MVP. I think it takes all of 2 seconds to walk to the MVP and pull the plug. I liked the soft power off of the beta mvp.bin I just could not get it to work properly.

Also, I am having issues with my stvi's staying selected when I power off and power back on. I have to go into setup and reselect each one. What can I do to correct this?
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 01-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to MrApollinax Send a message via AIM to MrApollinax
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusvball
Also, I am having issues with my stvi's staying selected when I power off and power back on. I have to go into setup and reselect each one. What can I do to correct this?
I can confirm this. I've had to install the comskip stvi after every power cycle. Can i add it to the sage client properties file to permanently add it until it is able to remember it on it's own?
Router: Dlink DGL-4300

Using Wireshark to Troubleshoot Network Issues with your SageTV Setup
Old 01-19-2006, 07:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrApollinax
I can confirm this. I've had to install the comskip stvi after every power cycle. Can i add it to the sage client properties file to permanently add it until it is able to remember it on it's own?
As I stated in this thread already, I had the same problem, even the client's properties file was written correctly, but it reverted to defaults.
For me it now works, I don't know why?
What you could do, is what DIBU wrote and rename your stv into SageTV3.xml

Marneb
Old 01-19-2006, 07:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

I lean to the other side on the power on/off issue. I like the reboot and not needing to unplug/plug in the MVP the boot up time is minimal and with this new beta release I have to reboot constantly. I do not want to be laying in bed watching something and have to get up and reboot the MVP because it locks up or the remote stops functioning. Here are some issues I have been having in regards to that

1. When the MVP client goes into screen saver mode it is lost for good. It requires a reboot (or power off) of the MVP to get it functionaing again. The remote option is awsesome but it shouldn't be doing this. On rare occurances I have had to reboot the server to regain functionality

2. Sometimes the MVP quits responding to the remote without going into screen saver mode. Same fix, reboot MVP or server or both to fix.

3. Occasionally some remote buttons quit working or work differently than default or custom action. Same fix.

4. Occasionally while watching a show it drops the stream and reboots on its own or jumps back to the menu.

5. When looking at the recorded show list it sometimes (1 or twice so far) will start playing live TV. I had left it on the menu and went to answer the phone and came back and Jimmy Kimmel was playing on live TV. No one else was at home

6. General instability in the interface sometimes requiring a couple of power cycles on the MVP to get it functioning right. Menus dont respond correctly or show up on screen in weird ways (hard to explain so I won't waste your time).

7. UI is much more responsive

8. Checksum offload STILL does not work

That's my assesment so far. I should point out that with each progression of the MVP updates my functionality/performance with the MVP actually drops. I get more bells and whistles but stability gets worse and worse. Especially with things that had worked fine with previous versions. 4.1.3 was the most stable MVP version even though it was probably the slowest and had no power on/off.

Last edited by jlabrue; 01-19-2006 at 07:53 AM.