SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabrue
I lean to the other side on the power on/off issue. I like the reboot and not needing to unplug/plug in the MVP the boot up time is minimal and with this new beta release I have to reboot constantly. I do not want to be laying in bed watching something and have to get up and reboot the MVP because it locks up or the remote stops functioning.
This is a bug issue. I am talking about the finished product. Yes I agree until the product is stable and you don't have to reboot because of lockups, it is nice to be able to hit power and reboot. But once the bug issues are corrected it would be nice to do only a soft power off to speed up the start times. I kinda like turning on the tv and it being somewhat instant. Right now the power on takes about 2-3 minutes. Not acceptable.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 01-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by henk99
over the top?

Just interested in everybodys opinion on this.

Henk99
I actually like this feature.. the rebooting on power off.. I use VNC to troubleshoot and/or improve SageTV's functionality from work and on occassion I do something that requires the MVP's to reload their software.. as it was I had to either explain to my wife or my kids how to unplug the MVP and reload the software.. this certainly has hurt the WAF! Now I just tell them to turn it off and on via the remote if they have any problems.. I also ask that they leave it in the off state when not using it (So I can continue to tinker behind the scene.. The webserver plugin now lets us see if it is in use!!).. Bootup takes no more than 30 seconds, not much longer than it takes my TV to get warm.. so that isn't too much of a problem either.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman
I actually like this feature.. the rebooting on power off.. I use VNC to troubleshoot and/or improve SageTV's functionality from work and on occassion I do something that requires the MVP's to reload their software.. as it was I had to either explain to my wife or my kids how to unplug the MVP and reload the software.. this certainly has hurt the WAF! Now I just tell them to turn it off and on via the remote if they have any problems.. I also ask that they leave it in the off state when not using it (So I can continue to tinker behind the scene.. The webserver plugin now lets us see if it is in use!!).. Bootup takes no more than 30 seconds, not much longer than it takes my TV to get warm.. so that isn't too much of a problem either.
Yes, this is what I was refering to when I said I like the power off/on. I like being able to have my wife do this as well not just me. And anytime I want to update the server remotely while my wife is at home, I too would get beat with a rolling pin if she couldn't get it working EASILY. While I agree that the boot up time is a lot to be desired, it is not to bad really (30-45sec even though it seems longer). Have you ever tried to reboot a Tivo or cable co DVR? Now teach your wife how to do that and see how she likes you
Old 01-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
15. Octupled the number of vertices we use in the 3D system because people had created STVs that were running out of vertices.
"Octupled" - Great word!!!

Sorry if I missed it, but is the bug on watching currently recording programs fixed? Specifically, if you select a show that is currently recording, then Watch Now, it will start showing the show at the current time (even though the time bar shows you being at the start). Once you bump back, it goes back to the beginning, but it is still frustrating...

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I actually like this feature.. the rebooting on power off..

Everybody seems to be talking about rebooting to fix problems. I am talking about the finished product. For me it would be nicer to use the soft power off because of the quicker restart time. If the MVP did not need to be reboot to fix lockups and other maitenance problems this would be ideal. Until that day I do agree that it is much nicer for the power off to do a complete shut down.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 01-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by henk99
Thanks for explaining!

Does this include DivX/Xvid and so on? Anyway, it says that i should only switch on that rule in the properties file. Is that really all there is to it, or are other settings required?

Henk99
Since this is all experimental, I don't think there is a list of what it actually does, or what it is expected to do once finalized.

That said, I have played Divx and xvid files, with or without ac3. It plays some .wmv's, but on others it errors out. Reading the docs for ffmpeg, it says that wmv7 is fine, but wmv8 is "not completely working", that may be it. ffmpeg will transcode a lot of stuff, stuff that Sage doesn't nativey suppport now, like .mov(quicktime). So, who knows how extensive the final list will be.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Sage

Sorry if I'm wrong on this one; but it sounds like you may be using a cracked version of the software. If that's the case; just buy the software and the problems will go away.

Quote:
I lean to the other side on the power on/off issue. I like the reboot and not needing to unplug/plug in the MVP the boot up time is minimal and with this new beta release I have to reboot constantly. I do not want to be laying in bed watching something and have to get up and reboot the MVP because it locks up or the remote stops functioning. Here are some issues I have been having in regards to that

1. When the MVP client goes into screen saver mode it is lost for good. It requires a reboot (or power off) of the MVP to get it functionaing again. The remote option is awsesome but it shouldn't be doing this. On rare occurances I have had to reboot the server to regain functionality

2. Sometimes the MVP quits responding to the remote without going into screen saver mode. Same fix, reboot MVP or server or both to fix.

3. Occasionally some remote buttons quit working or work differently than default or custom action. Same fix.

4. Occasionally while watching a show it drops the stream and reboots on its own or jumps back to the menu.

5. When looking at the recorded show list it sometimes (1 or twice so far) will start playing live TV. I had left it on the menu and went to answer the phone and came back and Jimmy Kimmel was playing on live TV. No one else was at home

6. General instability in the interface sometimes requiring a couple of power cycles on the MVP to get it functioning right. Menus dont respond correctly or show up on screen in weird ways (hard to explain so I won't waste your time).

7. UI is much more responsive

8. Checksum offload STILL does not work

That's my assesment so far. I should point out that with each progression of the MVP updates my functionality/performance with the MVP actually drops. I get more bells and whistles but stability gets worse and worse. Especially with things that had worked fine with previous versions. 4.1.3 was the most stable MVP version even though it was probably the slowest and had no power on/off.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
Sorry if I'm wrong on this one; but it sounds like you may be using a cracked version of the software. If that's the case; just buy the software and the problems will go away.

NO MOST DEFINATELY NOT!

I have bought and paid for a Sage server license and 2 client licenses since early 2005. I had 2 clients that I swapped for MVP client licenses the DAY they became available (faxed in my license info at that time). I will be happy to provide you with ANY documentation you need to verify this including my full name (not hard to figure out from my user ID), current license numbers, credit card used to purchase, copies of reply emails, etc...

Now if these are symptoms of code that has been written into the product to prevent cracking or to alert Sage of potentialy cracked software then the code does not function correctly and needs to be fixed to prevent false positives. Otherwise the issues I raise are valid for me and are problems I have encountered. I worked with a few other trying to resolve the "checksum offload" issue so that other users could use the MVP clients in the initial phase of its release and have been a constructive contributer to these forums since becoming a Sage owner. I realize that there are those in the software community who may have gained access to Sage software using cracks but I did not and I take exception to the presumption that I may have.

John LaBrue

Last edited by jlabrue; 01-19-2006 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Sage

That's why I apologized in advance. Can you enable debug_logging=TRUE in the properties file and then send the logs to betatest@sagetv.com after you've encountered any of issues 1-6 below?

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I take exception to the presumption that I may have.
John LaBrue
Jeff did start by saying "Sorry if he is wrong".. but I know for a FACT that there are bogus 'cracks' out there as I sent to Sage such a crack I had found on the WIKI of all places! He must be aware of the crack and know what symptoms those that use it experience.. chances are those problems are similiar enough to what you described to justify his comment.. I also assume that comment was targeted not at you personally but to anybody out there who may be using that crack (which doesn't work so well I am told, and Jeff seems to verify)..

Jeff probably could have worded that a little less accusatorily though..

Old 01-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

I appreciate the aformentioned apology but I do take it personal, right or wrong, even vague questioning of my integrity or character. Now, moving forward to constructive achievement.

Yes, I will be happy to enable debug logging on my server and send in the logs as soon as the issue(s) arise. I'm not sure if I made it clear in my previous post but it tends to be random events and I have been unable to replicate the issues consistantly
Old 01-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Jeff did start by saying "Sorry if he is wrong".. but I know for a FACT that there are bogus 'cracks' out there as I sent to Sage such a crack I had found on the WIKI of all places! He must be aware of the crack and know what symptoms those that use it experience.. chances are those problems are similiar enough to what you described to justify his comment.. I also assume that comment was targeted not at you personally but to anybody out there who may be using that crack (which doesn't work so well I am told, and Jeff seems to verify)..

Jeff probably could have worded that a little less accusatorily though..

I fully understand that he was apologizing ahead of time but you are correct in your analysis of the wording. If someone apologizes for anything that may happen when they borrow your vehicle and then wrap it around a utility pole it doesn't make up for the fact that you no longer have a car (EXTREME example). Reputations are hard to come by especially in the anonymous space of the Internet so everyone tries their best to maintain a high level of credibility and even small changes in tone or unfortunately worded post can cause harm that is hard to recover from. I think we all know of several BBS posters from lots of different boards who have a reputation based on their posts and what others have posted. That is the only reason from MY tone in my reply.

I love Sage and have no intention of going any where so I have moved beyond this already as I posted for Jeff. Thanks for your input as well now let's get these bugs squashed!
Old 01-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Actually, since the 4.1.5 upgrade, when the MVP goes into screen saver mode, I have to power cycle the MVP to bring it back to life.

I just assumed this was a known condition due to the remote / tuner plugin race condition bug.

-MrD
Old 01-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Sage

What button are you hitting to try to get it out of screen saver mode? The MVP at my desk was in screen saver mode just a minute ago and I just hit the OK button on the remote and it came back up no problem. If you could send us a log of this, that would help as well.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

I believe I tried lots of remote buttons with no response (perhaps I was not patient enough), and when I hit the power button... well that worked

Which properties file do I need to place the debug_logging in, mvp client or server?

-MrD
Old 01-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Sage

server
Old 01-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrD
I believe I tried lots of remote buttons with no response (perhaps I was not patient enough), and when I hit the power button... well that worked

Which properties file do I need to place the debug_logging in, mvp client or server?

-MrD
I will second that. I tried all of them to no avail. The new power off/on which reboots does indeed get things working again. That seemed to be the only button on the remote that functioned. Occasional on my MVP taht has the old Hauppauge remote it will break out of screen saver mode. I will try and get some debugging info today or tomorrow from my server. Sometimes if it sits at the main menu for a while without going into screen saver mode, it will reboot. I will see if I can get that in a log file
Old 01-19-2006, 03:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, I went and tested it again and after hitting about 8-10 different button it broke out of the screen saver. I'll keep testing
Old 01-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, more testing and it did not respond to any buttons this time. Had to power off/on to wake up. I sent a log for this as well to betatest
Old 01-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Sage

Looks like a problem with the GetStatus plugin....