SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Got everything installed an made the change in properties. Here is what I observed.

Transcoding works nicely. There is a little delay (to be expected) when you start the video file. My server cpu pegs at 100% briefly and then backs of to between 40 and 70 %. I am not recording anything at this time. I will try that later.

The menu on the MVP is a little slow. Sometimes slower than others.

Powering off and on now does not revert back to original stv without imports. I don't know why this did this the first time I tried but it now is fine.

The power off is quick but the power on takes about 1 to 2 minutes. I will live with it. I would like the choice to to a reboot or soft power off. That would satisfy thoughs that continuously tinker but give the rest of us to increase the WAF.

I will report back when I try the transcoding while recording other programs to see if there is any problem. But so far so good.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 01-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Sage User

HELP! I have no Idea what happened but.... when I tried t install 4.1.5 the installer could not read from the previous WISE installer file (located in Program files/common files/Wise Installation Wizard/ WISE3A14FF61BE342E4A63D7CA8C4A8BE64_4_1_3.MSI)

I have no idea what effect that had but the installation failed and sage is dead. I cannot re-install it because the same error occurs. I cannot use the add/remove programs control panel because it cannot not read the Wise file either and the uninstall fails.

I deleted the WISE3A14FF61BE342E4A63D7CA8C4A8BE64_4_1_3.MSI file and tried to re-install... same thing. So, any ideas where Sages is told to go look for the previous installation file (WISE3A14FF61BE342E4A63D7CA8C4A8BE64_4_1_3.MSI) so I can get rid of this so it will install a Fresh version?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Sage Icon

has anybody tried to transcode any HD content to the MVP yet? Looking at the FFmpeg doc's I see this:

Quote:
FFmpeg supports the following file formats through the libavformat library:
Supported File Format.....Encoding......Decoding.....Comments
MPEG-2 PS......................X..................X...........also known as VOB file
MPEG-2 TS..........................................X...........also known as DVB Transport Stream
Old 01-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Not sure what happened, but I cant replicate the screen saver issue. In addition the remote control is back to "normal"!!!

The only thing I changed was after installing 4.1.5 is I forgot to click "interact" with desktop for the server. I re-enabled this (because sage won't tune EXEPlugin without it), and restarted the server.

Go figure.

-MrD
Old 01-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex

There's also experimental transcoding support for the MVP in there (set the property enable_transcode_streaming=true to try it out)

Where, exactly, is this property? Do I ADD it to the client properties file, or the sagetv server's property file? Or is it supposed to already be in that file?

I'm confused....
Old 01-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
Looks like a problem with the GetStatus plugin....
Very good Jeff, is that the GetStatus plugin used to feed info to the LCDSmartie app?
Old 01-19-2006, 11:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman
Where, exactly, is this property? Do I ADD it to the client properties file, or the sagetv server's property file? Or is it supposed to already be in that file?
with Sage shut down completely, service too if using it, add it to sage.properties on the server.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have been using the update to 4.1.5 for a few days now and noted the following:

The booting through power on/off is very erratic. Sometimes it works....takes about 1.5-2 minutes though. Other times i see the hauppauge startup screen and at the end the sage boot screen flashes by briefly and then goes to black. The light on the MVP goes off. I have to press power on again and see if it gets past this point. Sometimes i have to do this 4-5 times untill the 'sagetc booting' screen stays and actually boots.

When the MVP is booted up, it works fine. Menus are much more responsive en the greenish screen issue is gone.

BUT.......the erratic booting forces me to not use it. I leave the MVP on all the time. This saves me a couple of booting cycles before being able to do anything.

For me the hard booting is not working ok. WAF is down the drain if i use the power on/off function. Luckily i didn't tell her this yet. She is still thinking the power on/off button doesn't work.

Henk99

Edit: I forgot to say that this i a clean install of 4.1.5 beta. I have done numerous reboots of server, mvp and service. So i don't think it is in that area where the fault is.
XP Pro SP2, SageTV v5.02.90, Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB 333 MHz), 2GB DDR RAM PC3200, 36 GB Western Digital Raptor, 200 GB Western Digital harddrive, Asus Radeon 9600 XTR, Plextor PX-708 8x DVD-/+RW, Pioneer 120S 48x CD-RW, PVR 150 MCE (2). Hauppauge MVP.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:38 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by henk99
Other times i see the hauppauge startup screen and at the end the sage boot screen flashes by briefly and then goes to black. The light on the MVP goes off. I have to press power on again and see if it gets past this point. Sometimes i have to do this 4-5 times untill the 'sagetc booting' screen stays and actually boots.
I encountered the above problem yesterday when I attempted to reboot my MVP after it froze on me. After serveral attempts to reboot the MVP, I gave up and filed a error report. After about a hour, I tried again and the MVP then booted up properly.
I am not sure of the MVP light part. When I got the black screen I used the Power switch to and thought the MVP light went out in response to my power off command.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:59 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabrue

6. General instability in the interface sometimes requiring a couple of power cycles on the MVP to get it functioning right. Menus dont respond correctly or show up on screen in weird ways (hard to explain so I won't waste your time).
4.1.5 has definitely improved the stuttering issues that I was seeing on my MVP, which is on a wireless bridge. But, I am also seeing odd menu issues as noted above.

For example, after watching a show and then attempting to go into the Setup menu, I instead saw a blank screen entitled "Upcoming Movies". On another occasion, the Setup menu appeared, but the menu items were all shifted up on the screen. On yet another occasion, the progress bar did not display correctly; the outline was there, but that was it.

I had imported nielm's comskip STVi, and I had enabled the Unsupported Extras and turned on the Custom Menus. I've gone back to the stock SageTV3.xml and turned off the Custom Menus, and it seems more stable now.

These are all just MVP issues; everything works perfectly on the TV connected to the server.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabrue
3. Occasionally some remote buttons quit working or work differently than default or custom action. Same fix.

6. General instability in the interface sometimes requiring a couple of power cycles on the MVP to get it functioning right. Menus dont respond correctly or show up on screen in weird ways (hard to explain so I won't waste your time).
I am seeing a lot of the same behavior jlabrue describes. If I leave the MVP on for an extended amount of time (overnight), when I come back to it, it is often in an unusuable state and I have to hard reboot.

Examples from three separate occasions include: 1) Couldn't use the right mouse button to get into the Sage Recordings menu, 2) Couldn't use the stop button to stop a recording. Eventually the recording stop and I was left at the menus, but no menu items were on the screen (basically a blank blue screen), 3) Found the MVP open to the Weather configuration screen, when I went back to the main menu, I was in the same state as #2, blank menu page with no menu items.

Despite the networking issues I had with versions 4.1.3 and 4.1.4, the MVP had been rock solid and I was able to leave it running for days at a time with no issues whatsoever.

I am also a licensed version of the software, in case that is a possible issue. I am also using a couple of the STV imports, so I am going to try reverting back to the default STV. And this morning I will turn on debug_logging and see what happens.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwaugh
HELP! I have no Idea what happened but.... when I tried t install 4.1.5 the installer could not read from the previous WISE installer file (located in Program files/common files/Wise Installation Wizard/ WISE3A14FF61BE342E4A63D7CA8C4A8BE64_4_1_3.MSI)

I have no idea what effect that had but the installation failed and sage is dead. I cannot re-install it because the same error occurs. I cannot use the add/remove programs control panel because it cannot not read the Wise file either and the uninstall fails.

I deleted the WISE3A14FF61BE342E4A63D7CA8C4A8BE64_4_1_3.MSI file and tried to re-install... same thing. So, any ideas where Sages is told to go look for the previous installation file (WISE3A14FF61BE342E4A63D7CA8C4A8BE64_4_1_3.MSI) so I can get rid of this so it will install a Fresh version?
Copy your Sage TV directory somewhere for safe keeping. Uninstall from add/remove programs and delete the Sage TV directory. (If you can't uninstall then just delete the directory.) Install 4.1.5. Now copy back your wiz.bin and sage.properties and/or sageclient.properties files into the new installation. You should be good to go.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet
I am seeing a lot of the same behavior jlabrue describes. If I leave the MVP on for an extended amount of time (overnight), when I come back to it, it is often in an unusuable state and I have to hard reboot.....

I am also a licensed version of the software, in case that is a possible issue. I am also using a couple of the STV imports, so I am going to try reverting back to the default STV. And this morning I will turn on debug_logging and see what happens.
Well, I reverted back to the default SageTV.xml and turned debug_logging on and this time the UI glitches came up almost right away. I turned on the MVP, watched a show for a minute or two, stopped it and now the "Sage Recordings" menu is empty. No shows are displayed.

A hard reboot fixed the problem.

Anyway, I have the debug log file and will send it to betatest@sagetv.com in case you are interested.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:24 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet
2) Couldn't use the stop button to stop a recording. Eventually the recording stop and I was left at the menus, but no menu items were on the screen (basically a blank blue screen)
I am also a licensed version of the software, in case that is a possible issue.
Now that you mention it, I've seen that one as well.

Ditto, on using a licensed version.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Sage Icon

My experience with this beta is the worst I've had ever. After installing this beta I have had serious system stability problems. Not with just SageTV but with the entire system. My network connection is messed up, the sage gui never starts the first time. It always hangs in the initializatio portion. If I kill the SageTV.exe proces and re-run it will start then.

I have included a piece of the log file where it says it is getting errors with the network port.

Wed 11/2 10:39:45.435 Seeker waiting for 555 mins.
Wed 11/2 10:39:45.818 Error with c/s comm:java.lang.NullPointerException
Wed 11/2 10:39:45.819 NetworkManager CommunicationFailure : /127.0.0.1:4817 type=2
Wed 11/2 10:39:45.819 NetworkManager CommunicationFailure : /127.0.0.1:4817 type=2
Wed 11/2 10:39:45.820 Error with c/s comm:java.lang.NullPointerException
Wed 11/2 10:39:45.821 NetworkManager CommunicationFailure : /127.0.0.1:4817 type=4
Wed 11/2 10:39:45.821 NetworkManager CommunicationFailure : /127.0.0.1:4817 type=4
Wed 11/2 10:39:55.668 PM currState=0 wakeupTime=Wed 11/2/2005 19:58:00.000

Not sure what it is all about, but I reverted back to 4.1.4 and all is fine.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ok I found the secret to replicating the screen saver / remote issue.

Leave it alone over night.

-MrD
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_0.zip (251.5 KB, 154 views)
Old 01-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
with Sage shut down completely, service too if using it, add it to sage.properties on the server.
okay, so nothing needs to be added to the sageclient.properties file or the property files for the MVP?
Old 01-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sage crashes in FSE

Version 4.1.5 crashes when I go to fullscreen with FSE enabled. By crash, I mean Sage trying to go to fullscreen, but then completely exits/closes. It also generates a log file of the crash. I'm using an FX5200 which worked just fine for 4.1.4.

I've submitted this as a bug report, but if anyone has any ideas I'd welcome it too.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltye
Version 4.1.5 crashes when I go to fullscreen with FSE enabled. By crash, I mean Sage trying to go to fullscreen, but then completely exits/closes. It also generates a log file of the crash. I'm using an FX5200 which worked just fine for 4.1.4.

I've submitted this as a bug report, but if anyone has any ideas I'd welcome it too.
Well, I don't have any ideas, but I will say that I'm using an FX 5200 w/ FSE without any problems in 4.1.5. Just another confounding data point!
Old 01-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrD
Ok I found the secret to replicating the screen saver / remote issue.

Leave it alone over night.

-MrD
Thanks for the log, that explained it. It'll be fixed for the next build.