SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

View Poll Results: Do you use FSE?
Yes 69 33.99%
No, but I use VMR9 88 43.35%
I don't use VMR9 46 22.66%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hello and thanks for the replys,

Hector you are correct, it was Zoomplayer I was making reference to. I was hoping that you meant go to windowed and then sleep. I was hoping to avoid shutting down sage (the ui portion) completely. It really is no big deal, but for a more "seamless" experience it is nice to just awaken sage and not have to watch it boot up.

If I cannot get totally smooth playback without FSE then I will just have girder close the ui completely with the "OFF" button on the remote and have it execute it with the "ON" button. Kind of clunky, but I am probably the only one that will care.

Thanks again,

Jesse
Old 02-02-2006, 02:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

No you're right it's clunky and obtrusive, just a bandaid until the bug is addressed. In the meantime for me its just better than the either not using FSE or rebooting my PC 10 times a day.

peace . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse
Hello and thanks for the replys,

Hector you are correct, it was Zoomplayer I was making reference to. I was hoping that you meant go to windowed and then sleep. I was hoping to avoid shutting down sage (the ui portion) completely. It really is no big deal, but for a more "seamless" experience it is nice to just awaken sage and not have to watch it boot up.

If I cannot get totally smooth playback without FSE then I will just have girder close the ui completely with the "OFF" button on the remote and have it execute it with the "ON" button. Kind of clunky, but I am probably the only one that will care.

Thanks again,

Jesse
Old 02-19-2006, 04:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'd use FSE, but it give me tearing as well... So VMR with no FSE it is.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to iceman Send a message via Yahoo to iceman
Instead of reinventing the wheel here I have experienced everything Nielm has said. When I get Fullscreen to function the jittering of using VMR9 goes away however it's only a matter of time at that point that sage will not only lock up but a reboot would also be in order.

The bottom line is it don't use it but would love to using VMR9.

Gerry
Old 02-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

Like others here I use VMR9, but not FSE because of the full/windowed/full bug.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:57 AM
Sage Expert

I use VMR9. But what is FSE and what is the advantage?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have a different issue, I can go back and foward between FSE and windowed to my hearts content unless I've played a video or TV show. If I then exit fullscreen, sage locks up and I have to kill it from the task bar.

I don't know about going back into fullcreen after this because I've never managed it.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm telling you guys, many of you can work around this bug/issue.

The issue below is the one I have. It only manifests itself if you have played video. The bug is in the transition from FSE <-> windowed not specifically in one mode or the other. So you just have to eliminate that transition between modes.

The workaround I use is to just quit Sage instead of making the transition to windowed or vice versa. Then you have two desktop shortcuts to launch Sage, one that starts it up in full screen FSE and one that does not. So intead of transitioning between the modes you quit each instance and start over.

To have a shortcut launch Sage in FSE pass the paramenter -startup. Assumes you have the windows starup option set to full screen and you have FSE otherwise enabled.

Little bit of a hassle, but no more crashes so at least you can use FSE and that's really imporant for good HD on the 6600gt.

peace . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillJones
I have a different issue, I can go back and foward between FSE and windowed to my hearts content unless I've played a video or TV show. If I then exit fullscreen, sage locks up and I have to kill it from the task bar.

I don't know about going back into fullcreen after this because I've never managed it.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgreco
Same issue here. I have finally given up for now.

And this is after buying a new A64 3500+ board and CPU AND a BFG 6600-GTOC.

Seems like it should work, doesn't it...
I too have massively upgraded my machine several times getting VMR9 and/or FSE to work. Both stutter and or lock up my machine. At first I thought it was my video card so I kept buying newer faster NVidia chipsets with no luck then I also went to an AMD64 3200+ Venice with 1GB RAM and this is a dedicated HTPC.

Wish we could use it.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

I don't think its a horsepower issue. I only have a AMD 2800 and 512 ram (which I will GLADLY trade for anyone's AMD64). Video card 6600gt.

Are you able to use VMR9/FSE with other apps?

peace . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyle
I too have massively upgraded my machine several times getting VMR9 and/or FSE to work. Both stutter and or lock up my machine. At first I thought it was my video card so I kept buying newer faster NVidia chipsets with no luck then I also went to an AMD64 3200+ Venice with 1GB RAM and this is a dedicated HTPC.

Wish we could use it.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Sage Icon

V5 is the first time I've tried FSE, and it's buggy on my 9800 Pro, but I am using VMR9 & Hardware Acceleration.

I even have Pixel Adaptive selected in the PureVideo properties, though I'm not sure it's active.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 04-28-2006, 02:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas
V5 is the first time I've tried FSE, and it's buggy on my 9800 Pro, but I am using VMR9 & Hardware Acceleration.
I have never been able to get FSE to work on my 9800 pro or my 9700 pro vid cards. I was thinking about buying a NVidia chipset base card, but at the end of the day I backed down. Being able to Use FSE is not worth junking two good ATI cards
Old 04-28-2006, 02:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

I would say it definitely is you if you're watching in HD. Otherwise FSE is only a marginal benefit in my experience. But in HD, BIG difference.

peace . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy
Being able to Use FSE is not worth junking two good ATI cards
Old 04-28-2006, 03:15 AM
Sage Expert

I use Sage as my PVR from my main computer without a middle-box. I plan a networked Linux box for the future, but right now I just use the TV-out of my video card and full screen mode.

I don't know if it's Sage or if it's my video driver, but I usually have to reboot to get a stable picture. If I don't, it flickers between 2 sizes. Primarily, I get the correct full screen mode; the other (I think) is the about the same width, but 5-10% shorter height. (I think that the second is what I get when I go out of full-screen mode, but the TV-out stays in full-screen mode -- it doesn't have the correct aspect ratio on the TV -- the PC's image fine). And, on the overlay pages (with the TV in the upper right), I get full screen TV images flashing over the overlay. The only other full screen program that I have is Nero Showtime -- it doesn't have the problem, but I have no idea what it's using for an overlay. If Sage had it all of the time, I'd blame Sage... but... Wish that I could figure out what it was because I can't always reboot (the computer's doing something else).

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @4025 MHz, 8G G.Skill Performance
DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS Plus; SilverStone Decathlon DA1000 (died - back to an ancient enermax)
eVGA 7900 GT KO RoHS -- Zalman VP900CU Cooling
Synology NAS 22TB
Old 04-28-2006, 07:17 AM
Sage Expert

I have never been able to get my system to work with FSE. I am using the latest NVidia Purevideo decoders, and an ATI 9600XT, and no luck with FSE.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperry
I have never been able to get my system to work with FSE. I am using the latest NVidia Purevideo decoders, and an ATI 9600XT, and no luck with FSE.
What happens when you try to use FSE?
Old 04-28-2006, 09:23 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
What happens when you try to use FSE?
I would get a Black screen then somethimes a lock-up.

Bottom line is, I don't think ATI cards can run FSE
Old 04-28-2006, 09:29 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector
I would say it definitely is you if you're watching in HD. Otherwise FSE is only a marginal benefit in my experience. But in HD, BIG difference.

peace . . .
hummm
About 30% of my sage viewing is HD. If I can find a 6600GT on the cheap I may buy one. but I'm trying to cut down on my HTPC hardware buying.........I been getting ridiculous lately

Thanks
Old 04-28-2006, 09:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy
I would get a Black screen then somethimes a lock-up.

Bottom line is, I don't think ATI cards can run FSE
FSE just allows the video card to take full control of the screen. ATI cards shouldn't have a problem with it.

The problem may be with DX. I had a heck of a time getting FSE to work and it was all related to DX. MS has released several versions of DX 9.0c some would work with FSE and others wouldn't. I would suggest installing the latest version if you don't already have it. I don't know if they ever released a version that was truely fixed or not. I've been afraid to muck around with mine.

The problem was 9.0c was broken and MS released a "fix" that consisted of a .dll file from 9.0b which "fixed" the problem, but made 9.0c incompatible with FSE. So to get FSE to work you needed to revert back to the "broken" version which is what I did. Maybe by now they've gotten their act together and gotten a version that's actually fixed.

Last edited by blade; 04-28-2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:34 AM
SageTVaholic

FSE is what finally convinced me to upgrade from v2 (so I could get the most out of a recent upgrade from an ATI 9600 to a 6600GT).

There's one thing I need to tweak. My Girder config tries to display a volume bar as the volume is changing, and under FSE it just sort of flickers. I'm actually suprprised that it shows up at all...

But I haven't had much trouble with FSE, including bouncing in and out of SageTV (from sleep to full screen and back again). I'm using the very latest driver and purevideo releases.