SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-13-2006, 12:58 AM
Sage User

yes of course.....should I use something else I have 4.1.6 beta sage and client with the extender. Is it possible I have something like a setting I need to change in the sage software?

thank you

tom
Old 02-13-2006, 01:09 AM
Sage Icon

Only the properties file addition mention above.

But you also need to remember that this is "beta" software. So there most certainly will be bugs found. This is basically how it works with betas.

The best way to ensure Sage will fix your issue is to file a bug report here: http://www.sagetv.com/bugs.html

They would also probably need your log files. Which are produced after enabling their output with the properties file addition. More about enabling that here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...&highlight=log
Old 02-13-2006, 07:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by c309
yes of course.....should I use something else I have 4.1.6 beta sage and client with the extender. Is it possible I have something like a setting I need to change in the sage software?

thank you

tom
Did you STOP the Sage service (if you're running it) and did you quit Sage TV on the server. (Click standby in the menu then go to the system tray and right-click on the Sage icon and choose exit.)? Then go to the Sage TV directory and open the sage.properties file in notepad and insert this line: enable_transcode_streaming=true and then saved the file and rebooted. It sounds like that line did NOT get saved the last time you tried. Other indivuals have enabled it with that line and have played xvid and other files successfully. The error you received is the error you would get WITHOUT that line in your sage.properties file.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Sage User

Thank You

I did all that here is a copy of my properties file:

Edit: please post such long files as attachments rather than as part of the post.

SO<<<<<<<<<<MVP wont start up at all.....it says contacting MediaMVP BootServer...

endlessly..

the moment I real enable the server in sage tv MVP works but my sage properties file changes back by itself to :enable_transcode_streaming=false

So as you see it still wont let me play anything unless sage tv recorded it.

any further help would be appreciated..........

thank you

tom
Old 02-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Administrator

If you are editing the properties file & the change in that file is not staying, then you still have SageTV running somewhere or you are corrupting the file while editing it somehow. As I said above:

To edit it, you have to completely exit (not sleep) SageTV, or the service if you use service mode. You can edit it in notepad, but make sure Format -> Word Wrap is not checked.

I'll add to that that you make sure the MVP is unplugged. I'm not sure if that could make a difference, but it doesn't hurt to do it.

Check the Windows Task Manager to see if there is some SageTV process running. If you are running the service, you can't simply kill the process if you have it set to auto-restart. Use the SageTVServiceControl.exe utility in your SageTV dir.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Sage User

Andy thanks

Now have everything working, but .wmv files dont play in SageTVME.

Attached is my sage.prop file---well never mind it wont upload--says its invalid why is that? its only 23kbs

any help with .wmv would be greatly appreciated

thanks

tom
Old 02-13-2006, 02:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by c309
Attached is my sage.prop file---well never mind it wont upload--says its invalid why is that? its only 23kbs

tom
It would work if you changed the file extension by adding .TXT to the file name.

BobP.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Sage Icon

.properties is not a valid uploadable file. make a copy of it, rename it to sage.properties.txt and it should upload.

regarding .wmv files, you say they don't play. Do they show up in the import library and play in Sage, but not on the MVP?

IF they show up, but error out in the MVP, then that seems to be that some .wmv's play and others don't. I think it is related to which version .wmv it is. .wmv 7's seem to play fine, but .wmv 8's sometimes error out. IT is due to the ffMpeg transcoder. Remember, this is all experimental right now and official documentation is limited.

IF they don't show up anywhere, then make sure .wmv is in this setting :"seeker/video_library_import_filename_extensions=.mpg,.mpeg,.mp2,.mpeg2,.mpe,.avi,.divx,.mpg1,.ts,.wmv,.asf,.wm,.tivo,.m2t,.vob"
Old 02-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Sage User

ok here is a txt ver of my sage prop file

sagetv media extender: everything plays that I have tried except wmv. The error I get is::

there was an error playing the selected file:

E:\movieclip.wmv
ERROR:Error(-4)Cannot view program because it is over and was not recorded

So...................that makes no sense, cause they are recorded, and they play in regular sage and client on same computer.

thank you in advance for any help

tom
Attached Files
File Type: txt sageprop.txt.txt (23.7 KB, 204 views)
Old 02-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Sage Icon

If everything else transcodes ok but .wmv, I'd try some different .wmv's and see if they work. my older .wmv files play fine, but some newer ones, encoded in .wmv8 give me problems. The transcoder used is ffMpeg, and you can read the documention on it, on what it supports. http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/ffmpeg-doc.html#SEC19 . In the docs, it mentioned that .wmv8 is not completely supported. Remember, this is beta software, and the transcoding feature is an unsupported, experimental feature that was just added to Sage in the last month.

edit: just because something is listed in the ffmpeg list does not mean that Sage will transcode it. Without official documentation, the actual extent that Sage will use ffMpeg, or any other transcoder, is unknown as now.

Last edited by ke6guj; 02-13-2006 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Has anyone gotten .avi or mp4 files to work yet?
Old 02-14-2006, 08:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to MrApollinax Send a message via AIM to MrApollinax
I have. avi files work for me.
Router: Dlink DGL-4300

Using Wireshark to Troubleshoot Network Issues with your SageTV Setup
Old 02-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Sage Icon

Every .avi that I have works fine for me as well. I guess there could an .avi encoded with a codec that ffmpeg doesn't support and not be able to transcode. But all my .xvid/.dvix encoded .avi's play just fine.

I don't mess with .mp4 files but it looks like it could be transcoded. On my system, mp4's don't show up in the import list since they are not in the "seeker/video_library_import_filename_extensions=" list. IF you added .mp4 to that list, it is possible that sage could transcode a .mp4 to the MVP. I know that there are other threads about native support of .mp4 playback in Sage and Sage Client. I haven't messed with that since I don't do .mp4
Old 02-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Am I missing something

I cannot seem to get the change (enable_transcode_streaming=true) to work to display any of the various MPG and AVI files I've tried. I have changed Sage.properties, verified the change, and even rebooted everything more than once.

I don't see ffmpeg running as a process in TASKMGR. Should I?

The only thing that works is to reencode the MPG or AVI into DVD format (720x480). Then I can get MediaMVP & Sage to display the MPG. However, that worked before I made the change to make enable_transcode_streaming=true.

Are there any unique settings for Video / Audio that I need to make? I've already changed video renderer to Overlay, as the AverTVHD seems to like it better.

e
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA
Old 02-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Never mind. it's working now

I uninstalled 4.1.6 beta deleted the SageTV folder (after backing it up) and then did a clean install of 4.1.7 and changed the parameter. Now it's working just fine

e
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA