SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-10-2006, 07:52 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby
all files from a r5000 are transport streams. even SD. but the nice thing is the r5000 app allows you to strip out null packets, so you can always get the smallest possible file size without any extra processing (no need for external null packet removal).
Does the r5000 app run during the capture, making it seemless to the user, or do you have to run that once you finish recording a show etc...?
Old 04-10-2006, 08:04 AM
Sage Icon

the r5000 app also includes the network encoder, so its seamless to the user. Just setup the port you want the network encoder on, and then activate the Sage option in the app, and add appropriate mmc/encoder lines in your sage.properties file. I've never used SageRecorder, but from what I read, it sounds like its the same type of setup. Prior to Sage integration, there was the R5000 DVR and PVR app. The DVR app is just the main control app, which is what now includes the Sage network encoder. The PVR app is used for Zap2It/TitanTV integration, and not used with Sage integration. Also, I've been running the DVR app in 'compressed' mode, which strips null packets, giving you the smallest possible TS files. No issues at all. The only issue I ran into last night was the audio stuttering that happens sometimes when you tune to a channel. If you pause, and play it clears up. I know I have seen people talking about how to fix that, but I havent had time to fix that.

I cant post a pic, but last night I had 4 HD streams recording at once, and playing another. 1 from CBS-HS (via Fusion 5 card), 1 from FOX-HD (DCT-6200 firewire setup), HDNet concert (via Dish411 R5000) and Animal House on Cinemax HD (via cable DCT-2000 R5000 mod). It was doing great! Maybe everyone wont have enough horsepower to do that, my Sage server is an AMD X2-3800+, 1GB ram, Nvidia 7800GT. I was running at 28% CPU, 30% memory usage, and consuming 12% of my gigabit ethernet connection (all files are written to a remove server). Was also watching one of those shows while recording.

Have had some issue with Dish SD playback though, looks like it is overly compressed, lots of artifacts. I dont know if this is due to VMR9, Nvidia filters, or what, but I will be testing that more later. Obviously the main attraction of the R5000 is HD, and it does HD very very well.

To wet your guys' appetite a little (sorry for the blurry pics):

http://webpages.charter.net/bakerk/r5000.PNG
and
http://webpages.charter.net/bakerk/hdnet-on-sage.PNG

Last edited by Kirby; 04-10-2006 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:03 AM
SageTVaholic

You know, you could just do a Print Screen
Old 04-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Sage Icon

I thought about it, but wasnt sure if it was going to work, and I didnt want to take a chance of messing up the recordings!
Old 04-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hey, don't assume only folks interested in HD will be using this! I'm thinking of ordering a modified box just to use with my normal DirectV service - there's not enough HD content that I can't get with my existing OTA HD card to justify changing the service on my dish - and I'd love to get nice, clear, digital transport rather than converting it to analog first and then recording with the Hauppauge cards and converting it back... definitely worth it to me if the SD playback can be super-clean.
Basement: HD Extender connected to Dell projector.
Back room: MVP 1000 hooked to 21" CRT TV.
Bedroom: MVP 1000 hooked to 27" CRT TV.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Sage Icon

Dont worry, thats not the assumption I believe my SD jerky playback is a result of my Pure Video settings, and will work on that tonight. I can also check it by playing one of the files through my MyHD card, and see if the jerkiness is there. everything I can tell at this point, points to a configuration issue with drivers or filters, and not something in the TS file being the cause.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

That's a great point, I am planning on ditching my PVR500 and would like to replace it with a couple of R5000 boxes. Do you know if you are the only one testing this with SageTV? I'd really like to hear from someone with DirecTV - not that we don't appreciate hearing from you! Is this still using USB control for the STB?
Old 04-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah - if I pony up for one of these modified boxes (I have one in my hot little hands right now - thinking of mailing it away this week) can I get my hands on a beta setup to test out here? I'd even setup a seperate box just for this so it doesn't cause me pain during testing... please, let me bleed on it... I love the pain...
Old 04-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Sage Fanatic

I think Kirby said he had to sign an NDA with Nextcom to get it so I'd expect you'll have to contact them.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfresh23
That's a great point, I am planning on ditching my PVR500 and would like to replace it with a couple of R5000 boxes. Do you know if you are the only one testing this with SageTV? I'd really like to hear from someone with DirecTV - not that we don't appreciate hearing from you! Is this still using USB control for the STB?
I believe I am the only beta tester at this point. They also have it working in house. I know internally they have been tested with DirecTV and had no issues. I dont know if they tested BEV, StarChoice, C/Ku Band BUD, but basically it all boils down to this: it works or doesnt. And it does work
Old 04-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlindborg
Yeah - if I pony up for one of these modified boxes (I have one in my hot little hands right now - thinking of mailing it away this week) can I get my hands on a beta setup to test out here? I'd even setup a seperate box just for this so it doesn't cause me pain during testing... please, let me bleed on it... I love the pain...
I dont think it will be beta by then (or at least I dont think it will be in a private beta stage).

Last edited by Kirby; 04-10-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Sage Fanatic

Meaning you expect it to be released in the next few days? I hope - i'm shopping for a DTV HDTV reciever as I type!
Old 04-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

I emailed them today - waiting to hear back.

The only other question I have is about changing channels - I notice none of the HD DirectTV boxes have anything like a low speed connection for a serial control method - earlier on this thread someone mentioned doing it via the USB connection directly - I asked them in my email but does anyone happen to know if this works with DirecTV boxes? It seems to me this would be a must have - popping $700 for a control box and having to resort to cheesy IR channel changing system would be a bit much... especially for someone like me that plans on multiple boxes.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlindborg
I emailed them today - waiting to hear back.

The only other question I have is about changing channels - I notice none of the HD DirectTV boxes have anything like a low speed connection for a serial control method - earlier on this thread someone mentioned doing it via the USB connection directly - I asked them in my email but does anyone happen to know if this works with DirecTV boxes? It seems to me this would be a must have - popping $700 for a control box and having to resort to cheesy IR channel changing system would be a bit much... especially for someone like me that plans on multiple boxes.
The r5000 app changes the channels on whatever receiver type its set to. No IR, No external connection. When yo uload the DVR app, you config it for the Service type (D*, E*, BEV, S*, BUD, Cable, etc) and then select receiver type for that service. Everything is done over the USB connection.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfresh23
Meaning you expect it to be released in the next few days? I hope - i'm shopping for a DTV HDTV reciever as I type!
I wish I had one of those nifty little Magic Eight Balls from years back to come up with a snappy little quip! I think it wont be long at all, because I signed off on it in terms of testing, couldnt really break it, and its working very nicely.

As for SD playback being jerky on my end, its definitely a software issue (DS filter, codec, Sage setup) because I played 2 SD streams on my MyHD card and they played perfectly.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

sweet - I just ordered one of their pre converted E86 boxes... it's on the way. I'll mail in the one I have here this week as well.

Getting rid of the analog capture cards and all those goofy svideo, audio, serial cabls out of my wiring closet will be very nice indeed. Two of these modified boxes and an OTA HD capture card and I should be in like Flynn.

This is better than Christmas...
Old 04-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Sage Icon

Actually 'better than Christmas' would be if we had a way to do a QAM tuner as well in Sage, but thats a whole different ball of wax. Maybe that MyHD network encoder will someday come to fruition!

(and before anyone asks, Nextcom nor I have anything to do with a MyHD encoder, I'm just verbally wishing for something in the future)
Old 04-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Sage Fanatic

The best part is that since I'm in NY I should still be able to get HD locals in MPEG2! They will have my order within a couple days!

I wish they supported more cable boxes though, I can only get Scientific Atlanta or Pioneer for digital cable.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Sage Icon

I dont know what D* is doing on the NYC HD locals, but Dish has them as MPEG-2 still. I "live" in Southport, CT to get NYC locals, and they are decent quality. But only NYC and LA are still mpeg2, all other Dish HD LiL are true Mpeg4. I cant say what MPEG-4 will be like in Sage with the R5000, as there are no national MPEG-4 channels on Dish, and I am not going to "move" just to test some, since I cant get the 129 satellite which has the MPEG4 locals on it.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well the fine folks at NextCom got back to me - they said they didn't need any beta testers as the SageTV work is already done for all supported receivers. and I quote:

==========
The Sage version is already a reality (not released yet). The R5000 app becomes a server (network encoder) and SageTV sends all appropriate commands to it (tuning, filename, etc). There's nothing extra that needs to be done except add some lines to your Sage properties file.

The Sage interface and setup is non-hardware dependent. All you have to do is make sure the R5000 DVR preferences are properly setup for your receiver and you're using the correct guide in Sage.
==========

So I guess I just gotta wait for the receiver to show up and pop the clutch.