SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Sage Fanatic

I wonder what they mean by "Sage Version"? Maybe this means they will be doing something similar for the other pvr apps. Being that I also use MCE I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Better yet, I'm only an hour away from them, I wonder if they'll let me drive there and get same day service!
Old 04-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Sage Icon

I think the MCE plans were scrubbed. We talked about it back before going ahead with Sage implementation, and to my knowledge MCE just isnt in the plans anymore. That may change of course, but I think Nextcom is trying to align themselves as a competitor to what MS will offer with their upcoming Vista MCE/DirecTV combo. IMO, they win hands down, as the MCE thing is going to be riddled with DRM! Plus I bought MCE to set it up for testing, but we havent done anything regarding that, so thats why I am assuming its dead for now.

As for driving there and waiting for service, I dont know if thats something worthwhile (or allowed). Its not just a 5 minute process to mod one of the receivers. I would say the soldering work and fab work on the case takes under an hour or two, but then they test everything as well. You would definitely need to clear it with them. Plus they usually are running about a solid week out on modifications, so its probably best to get the box in their hands and in the queue, rather than hoping to show up and have a mod done on the spot. Just my suggestion though.

Anyway, as you guys have now seen from the email from them, the version is done. I couldnt really say that, not my place. I think you guys are really going to like the way this system works. I'm personally loving it!
Old 04-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

Tease!
Old 04-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Sage Icon

Hehe, sorry.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

Are there any limits of how many STBs you can use at once?

I just won a Proscan DTV box on ebay, so Nextcom should have it soon!

I should probably start HDTV shopping now!

Last edited by dbfresh23; 04-10-2006 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Sage Icon

I know two works for sure, but thats all I have, so I cant test more than 2. I believe Nextcom had 3 going in-house at once. Much more than that, and you probably are going to need another computer for more network encoders. So at that point, I would guess it is limited to only the number of receivers you want to buy, and encoder pc's you want.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby
I think the MCE plans were scrubbed.
So he did go with a Network encoder version instead? I know David was pushing to get his DirectShow filter (MCE version) working instead..... Regardless, very cool!!!

BTW - I might have a QAM solution in the works for those of us that have access to cable too... (keeping that on the quiet for now)

Edit: Also - Kirby thanks for keeping us in the loop
Old 04-11-2006, 08:31 AM
Sage Icon

I'm only assuming the DS filter version is dead since it was initally headed that way, and now what we have is a full network encoder. It could still be in the works, but I know David and I have not spoken a word about the DS filter in weeks. I'll ask him though.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:35 AM
Sage Fanatic

I got a reply from David this morning, he said that a beta with support for SageTV would be available to all sometime this week.

Actually he also made mention of looking into the possibility of adding an R5000 Mod to some of the new Cablecard STBs coming out.

Last edited by dbfresh23; 04-11-2006 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Sage User

H20 support

I put in my request for DirecTV H20 support this morning.

The reply stated that they were not certain if/when an H20 solution would be available. They also mentioned, like dbfresh23 said, that the SageTV support would be posted as beta later this week.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Sage Expert

Heres a question from a "sattelite newb":

How do i order sat service (either Dish or DTV) without any equipment bundles? I see Nextcom is currently selling DISH 211's that are already good-to-go.

Furthermore, they (sat co's) seem to be mandatoraly "leasing" boxes, so can one legaly get them modified? I really dont like either one of their pricing models at the moment, especialy for the HD-DVR boxes, you have to pay up front for the privilege of leasing???

Anyways im probably going to wait around and see the specifics on the DirecTV MCE cards, but ill probably be dissapointed with the DRM.

I want Fox Sports South (instead of what comcast feeds me) and HBO-hd without it being 5C'd, and i guess SAT is the only way to do this.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

I can't speak for Dish but for DirecTV you can get a used box (I have 3 active now and a couple inactive ones on standby), whip out your credit card and give them a call. They will gladly take your money and issue you a new card for the box (they long ago stopped letting you reactivate old cards that may come with the box). They'll overnight it to you for $20 I think and you have something like 15 days to activate it before the card goes bad.

They really want you to rent their equipment (go figure) but they do still allow you to use your own. Given their history with "accidentally" breaking the ability to change channels via the serial port and stuff with their rolling firmware upgrades I have several of the old school receivers in my basement. You can find them on Ebay or Craig's List for cheap. The HD receivers can also be found on those places but they're not quite so cheap.

And yes, it's legal to modify the boxes you own.
Basement: HD Extender connected to Dell projector.
Back room: MVP 1000 hooked to 21" CRT TV.
Bedroom: MVP 1000 hooked to 27" CRT TV.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul
Heres a question from a "sattelite newb":

How do i order sat service (either Dish or DTV) without any equipment bundles? I see Nextcom is currently selling DISH 211's that are already good-to-go.

Furthermore, they (sat co's) seem to be mandatoraly "leasing" boxes, so can one legaly get them modified? I really dont like either one of their pricing models at the moment, especialy for the HD-DVR boxes, you have to pay up front for the privilege of leasing???

Anyways im probably going to wait around and see the specifics on the DirecTV MCE cards, but ill probably be dissapointed with the DRM.

I want Fox Sports South (instead of what comcast feeds me) and HBO-hd without it being 5C'd, and i guess SAT is the only way to do this.
You can still buy receivers outright on both D* and E*. D* does seem to have most all of the new receivers locked down to a lease only program though. Buy used. If you are waiting for the D* MCE thing, you will be waiting until at least next year, because that is a Vista-MCE setup, and Vista has been delayed until at least 1Q2007.

As for non-5C HBO-HD, do you have HD available on cable, and do they use Motorola boxes? If so, more than likely your HBO-HD is tied to a HBO package, and not a HD package, and you will be able to record it with a cable box r5000 like I do. But if thats not an option, none of the satellite companies use 5C, so no issue there.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlindborg
I can't speak for Dish but for DirecTV you can get a used box (I have 3 active now and a couple inactive ones on standby), whip out your credit card and give them a call. They will gladly take your money and issue you a new card for the box (they long ago stopped letting you reactivate old cards that may come with the box). They'll overnight it to you for $20 I think and you have something like 15 days to activate it before the card goes bad.

They really want you to rent their equipment (go figure) but they do still allow you to use your own. Given their history with "accidentally" breaking the ability to change channels via the serial port and stuff with their rolling firmware upgrades I have several of the old school receivers in my basement. You can find them on Ebay or Craig's List for cheap. The HD receivers can also be found on those places but they're not quite so cheap.

And yes, it's legal to modify the boxes you own.
On E* you can still transfer yellow smart cards from customer to customer as you mention. On D*, if you happen to be an old/current sub, and have an unused P4 or later card, you can use that card on a new (used) receiver that you might purchase if it doesnt come with a new card. This is not well documented by D* as they like to make the extra money on more cards, but you most definitely can use an old (P4 or later) card with a new receiver (new to you).

Its kind of comical too, since the E* yellow cards have been hacked, and yet they allow them to be transferred, and the D* P4 and later cards are still unhacked and they wont allow you to transfer them. You would think it would be the other way around.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfresh23
I got a reply from David this morning, he said that a beta with support for SageTV would be available to all sometime this week.

Actually he also made mention of looking into the possibility of adding an R5000 Mod to some of the new Cablecard STBs coming out.
Did David mention which unit? I asked him about modding the Sony cable card DVR (forgot the model) a while back, but one issue he had at the time I think was that his local cable company didnt have cable cards, so no way to test it. Sounds as if his local cable company upgraded, and we might see more on the cable side of things!
Old 04-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Sage Fanatic

Well being that I don't think they are available yet I doubt he knows yet. Both Scientific Atlanta and Motorola recently announced cablecard STBs. I do not know of any other companies making them though if they will be sold retail I'm sure they'll start popping up.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Sage Icon

Actually my understanding of cable card is that the device itself isnt designed for a specific cable system type. Thats what the cable card is for. I know someone around here that has a Sony HD DVR cable card unit and loves it. The problem I would see with modifying one of these is that it might be downright impossible to find tap points to get the transport stream data. Time will tell! Maybe I will have something new to test in the near future...
Old 04-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Sage Fanatic

Yep, just did a search and found that Sony DVR - I stand corrected. Yeah, even though a cable company doesn't offer Scientific Atlanta STBs, a SA cablecard STB should still work there.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Mod

Are these R5000 Mods going to sold as a kit or do you have to send you box in to get modified?

I hate to send my receiver over to the states and back again..

technazz
Old 04-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Sage Icon

There are no DIY kits for the R5000.