SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks for the info guys, SAT is starting to sound better.

Oh and just to clarify im forced to use a Scientific Atlanta box, and yes i do have the HD package. Only HBO is 5C'd (HBO-HD and SD) and a couple of other random channels i never watch (like lifetime movies lol).

Heh, one more quick question, do the new HD boxes (ie DISH 211), have a built in OTA tuner? I dont see any point in paying extra for local chans, i get mine fine (even with an indoor ant.).

Last edited by lobosrul; 04-11-2006 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul

Oh and just to clarify im forced to use a Scientific Atlanta box, and yes i do have the HD package. Only HBO is 5C'd (HBO-HD and SD) and a couple of other random channels i never watch (like lifetime movies lol).

Heh, one more quick question, do the new HD boxes (ie DISH 211), have a built in OTA tuner? I dont see any point in paying extra for local chans, i get mine fine (even with an indoor ant.).
Ok, first, SA boxes cant be modded, so that blows away doing a cable mod. In general though, a cable mod is done to a box that does NOT have firewire ports, thus it is almost always a SD box, and also, does not include 5C. Because of that, the 5C status doesnt matter. My Moto DCT2224 cable box is SD only, but tunes HD channels just fine. The issue is that I cant get the HD Tier channels authorized from my carrier (HDnets, ESPN, Discovery, UHD). The movie channels in my case (HBO HD, Sho HD, Cinemax HD) are tied to the SD packages, so my DCT box is able to tune those.

The new Dish receivers (211, 411, 622) do indeed have an OTA tuner, and it works quite well from what I read. I live in a hole, so my OTA reception sucks.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul
Sat is just starting to sound better? I have yet to see any cable that can come close to the PQ of my DirecTV.

I too am limited to SA boxes from the local cable company so I'll be paying close attention to any R5000 cablecard mods that may arise as I'll be adding digital cable to my mix by next week. Not that I'm expecting them anytime soon. Heck, I first started emailing Nextcom about SageTV support for the R5000 over a year ago and it's finally just getting here!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfresh23
Sat is just starting to sound better? I have yet to see any cable that can come close to the PQ of my DirecTV.

I too am limited to SA boxes from the local cable company so I'll be paying close attention to any R5000 cablecard mods that may arise as I'll be adding digital cable to my mix by next week. Not that I'm expecting them anytime soon. Heck, I first started emailing Nextcom about SageTV support for the R5000 over a year ago and it's finally just getting here!
Dont get Dish then, you will wonder how you ever lived with HD Lite Even HD Lite on Dish Voom channels blows away what I was getting with DirecTV.

If you want to see some good cable PQ, take a trek to Michigan and I will show you some... Granted most areas sucks, but Charter here is giving me high bitrate, unmolested HD. And the digital SD channels are better than anything D* or E* puts out, just limited in # of channels.

Nothing can really compare to seeing some of the tantalizing content on HDNet at a full 19mbit bitrate! And on that note, I am on a quest for sleeeeeeeeeeep!
Old 04-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

Actually I would have been a Dish customer already but when I was comparing the two one major deciding factor for me stood out. DirecTV offers YES Network (Yankee Games!) while 2 years later Dish Network still doesn't offer it! I guess they don't like Yankee fans!
Old 04-12-2006, 04:36 AM
Sage Icon

Yep I hear ya there. Personally not a baseball fan, but a good friend of mine in Florida maintains his D* account witha NYC address just for YES-HD.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Alright you Dish/R5000 experts.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger (so to speak), right now what I think I want is:

Dish1000 dish (to get 110, 119 and 129)
DishHD Silver pack
R5000-HD receiver (either a 211 or 411)

The tricky bit, is (for the moment) that's all I want, so I'm left with the question/dilema:

Can I order through Dish, have them install it, and then mail the box off to Nextcomm to have it modded?

Or do/should I suck it up and buy a Dish1000, DP34, and pre-modded box outright and call up DN and activate it all?

I've looked through the documentation and am reasonably confident I can successfully install it myself. The whole modding/non-standard setup I'm planning is complicating matters though.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Alright you Dish/R5000 experts.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger (so to speak), right now what I think I want is:

Dish1000 dish (to get 110, 119 and 129)
DishHD Silver pack
R5000-HD receiver (either a 211 or 411)

The tricky bit, is (for the moment) that's all I want, so I'm left with the question/dilema:

Can I order through Dish, have them install it, and then mail the box off to Nextcomm to have it modded?

Or do/should I suck it up and buy a Dish1000, DP34, and pre-modded box outright and call up DN and activate it all?

I've looked through the documentation and am reasonably confident I can successfully install it myself. The whole modding/non-standard setup I'm planning is complicating matters though.
The problem is going through Dish you wont "own" the receiver I dont think. Have you looked at their price? I thought they were leasing only, but maybe thats only on the 622DVR.

If you are going to only have 1 (or 2) receivers, you dont need a DP34. In fact, even if you did need a switch, get a DPP44 switch instead. DP34's suck. The Dish1000 kit with DishPro lnb's actually will allow the 129 LNB to connect to the input on the DishPro twin LNB (for 110/119) and gives 2 LNB outputs to receivers.

This is all you would need for a dish/lnb setup: http://www.dishstore.net/product_inf...roducts_id=248

Then the receiver. A 411 is the same as a 211, except for the ethernet port on the back for "future services" that we probably wont see in our lifetime. 211 has it, 411 doesnt.

Last edited by Kirby; 04-12-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby
The problem is going through Dish you wont "own" the receiver I dont think. Have you looked at their price? I thought they were leasing only, but maybe thats only on the 622DVR.
I went through the web ordering thingy and couldn't figure out if you could opt to buy or not. But that's about the conclusion that I've come to, I have to buy from someone if I want to own it and get it modded.

So basically, so there's no confusion or ambiguity:

For a virgin setup with only a Nextcomm modded box, I need to buy everything myself, and (unless I want to pay someone) install it myself.

Quote:
If you are going to only have 1 (or 2) receivers, you dont need a DP34. In fact, even if you did need a switch, get a DPP44 switch instead. DP34's suck.
Hm, I was under the impression that the DP34's were nice switches. Or at least that they worked well. Anyway, I intend to have more than the Nexcomm receiver, but they won't be HD, and I'm trying to figure out just how to do it since I don't have a landline.

Quote:
The Dish1000 kit with DishPro lnb's actually will allow the 129 LNB to connect to the input on the DishPro twin LNB (for 110/119) and gives 2 LNB outputs to receivers.
That's what I thought originally, but I was looking through the superdish install guide and it looked like a switch was required.

Quote:
This is all you would need for a dish/lnb setup: http://www.dishstore.net/product_inf...roducts_id=248

Of course apparently I was looking at the wrong install guide

Quote:
Then the receiver. A 411 is the same as a 211, except for the ethernet port on the back for "future services" that we probably wont see in our lifetime. 211 has it, 411 doesnt.
Yeah, I didn't really care, I started typing 211, but then remembered/realized the pre-modded boxes were 411s. Oh, on that subject do you or anyone else have trouble getting to the 411 page on Nexcomm? I get a 404 error for that page.

Oh, and looking at the order page, what's "Receiver Swap" for?

Last edited by stanger89; 04-12-2006 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
I went through the web ordering thingy and couldn't figure out if you could opt to buy or not. But that's about the conclusion that I've come to, I have to buy from someone if I want to own it and get it modded.

So basically, so there's no confusion or ambiguity:

For a virgin setup with only a Nextcomm modded box, I need to buy everything myself, and (unless I want to pay someone) install it myself.
Yep, thats it. Now I can tell you that I think its easy to aim a dish, but others have issues with it. I'm guessing you could do it.. Also, "ownership" isnt required for modding. My cable box is rented from the cable co. Check with Nextcom to see if they will also do E* or D* leased boxes. Not sure on the policy.

Quote:
Hm, I was under the impression that the DP34's were nice switches. Or at least that they worked well. Anyway, I intend to have more than the Nexcomm receiver, but they won't be HD, and I'm trying to figure out just how to do it since I don't have a landline.
DP34's have issues, one being that they dont have a power inserter, but draw power from the receiver on output port #1. a DPP44 costs more, but has a power inserter, and gives much more flexibility.

No landline? Have VoIP? Some VoIP services work. I use VoicePulse and it works fine. There are also free VoIP services that you can use since the dial number is a 800 number. You do have options here.

Quote:
That's what I thought originally, but I was looking through the superdish install guide and it looked like a switch was required.

Of course apparently I was looking at the wrong install guide
You got it, superdish is a mess, dont worry about one of those (at least not now).

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't really care, I started typing 211, but then remembered/realized the pre-modded boxes were 411s. Oh, on that subject do you or anyone else have trouble getting to the 411 page on Nexcomm? I get a 404 error for that page.

Oh, and looking at the order page, what's "Receiver Swap" for?
Not sure which page you mean. I added a pre-modded 211 to my basket just now and went to checkout. You mean some other page?

A receiver swap allows you to transfer your r5000 hardware into a new receiver, say if you upgrade receivers, or move to another service etc. I've moved one of mine like this: Dish 6000, then to a Expressvu 6000, then back to Dish 6000, now in my Dish 411.

Last edited by Kirby; 04-12-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yep, thats it. Now I can tell you that I think its easy to aim a dish, but others have issues with it. I'm guessing you could do it..
Well, I've got a Dish 500 (legacy) I scored from a friend and have been playing with that and a sat finder.

Quote:
Also, "ownership" isnt required for modding. My cable box is rented from the cable co. Check with Nextcom to see if they will also do E* or D* leased boxes. Not sure on the policy.
The question is what happens when Dish wants it back... Of course I kind of prefer the idea of it being my hardware and me installing it exactly where/how I want vs some random guy installing stuff where it's easy, that I'll have to give back.

Quote:
DP34's have issues, one being that they dont have a power inserter, but draw power from the receiver on output port #1. a DPP44 costs more, but has a power inserter, and gives much more flexibility.
Ah.

Quote:
No landline? Have VoIP? Some VoIP services work. I use VoicePulse and it works fine. There are also free VoIP services that you can use since the dial number is a 800 number. You do have options here.
I've got a cell phone, and barely use it (not a big talker, least not on the phone). Though I might have to look into free VoIP, any suggestions?

Quote:
You got it, superdish is a mess, dont worry about one of those (at least not now).

Not sure which page you mean. I added a pre-modded 211 to my basket just now and went to checkout. You mean some other page?
I think it's off the Dish Network (or maybe a general) info page, there's a link to buy a 411 modded (as well as a couple others) the 411 link goes to a 404.

Quote:
A receiver swap allows you to transfer your r5000 hardware into a new receiver, say if you upgrade receivers, or move to another service etc. I've moved one of mine like this: Dish 6000, then to a Expressvu 6000, then back to Dish 6000, now in my Dish 411.
Ah, I was wondering, didn't really think it was what I wanted it to be, which was to swap for a modded one

Hey, thanks for the info.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Um, if Stanger is doing this, then so am I!

(Your posts helped me alot in the past )

Im mostly a satellite newb too. I did have internet satlellite many moons ago though, that I set up myself. It was sorta fun.. It got Dish or Directv one I can't even recall which.

Stanger, I think my plan is to buy a ViP 211 straight out on ebay for $250, and mail it off to get modded. Adds up to less money than buying it pre-modded from nextcom for $900.
I am gonna see if Dish will do the rest of the install. I have a really high slick steep tin roof in my current house, and climbing up there is death defying. (I scouted it out looking for a OTA HDTV antenna location .. after leaving half my skin on that roof I went for the attic)

I will try to keep you guys posted on what I find out. Please do the same Stanger!

Oh yeah.. and as for a land line. You may only need it for set-up and updates. 6 years ago when I had the system refered to above you did not have to leave it plugged into the phone unless you wanted PPV. I guess call Dish and see if that is still the deal?

Last edited by Kimper; 04-12-2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimper
Um, if Stanger is doing this, then so am I!

(Your posts helped me alot in the past )
Maybe you should wait until I've done it I've been known to procrastinate and/or change my mind

Quote:
Stanger, I think my plan is to buy a ViP 211 straight out on ebay for $250, and mail it off to get modded. Adds up to less money than buying it pre-modded from nextcom for $900.
I'm not a big fan of Ebay, I avoid it if possible, and really, the mod is most of the cost with these, so for me it's not worth the added effort/risk going the Ebay route to save a couple bucks.

Quote:
I will try to keep you guys posted on what I find out. Please do the same Stanger!
I'm not sure when it will be, I'm still finishing up some work on the house and won't be getting a box until I move in. That plus I'll have to see how expenses are going.

Quote:
Oh yeah.. and as for a land line. You may only need it for set-up and updates. 6 years ago when I had the system refered to above you did not have to leave it plugged into the phone unless you wanted PPV. I guess call Dish and see if that is still the deal?
I've seen about every answer to that question possible. The conclusion I've come to is that the phone line is only to ensure you're not sharing boxes with someone else. If you've got only one box, you're fine. If you've got a dual-tuner box you save $5 having it plugged in (or are penalized $5 for not). If you've got multiple boxes you risk getting called by the Audit Police (OK, can't remember the actual name) and they'll demand you read them numbers off each box (from a menu, not the outside) to verify they are on site.

It's really the last thing I'm trying to avoid. Of course if I can find a free VoIP service that will let me connect boxes, that would be fine with me.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Sage Fanatic

No love for DirecTV's HD-Lite here huh?

The box I got on ebay was just shipped to me today so I should hopfully have an R5000 Mod by the end of the month.

Now I just need some way to get my HD locals from Digital cable! TWC doesn't seem to want to offer Firewire around here.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:20 AM
Sage Icon

Guys keep in mind, the 211/411 boxes from Nextcom should be brand new. I have no love for D* HD Lite. I switched in January this year to Dish. That being said, E* does have its fair share of HD lite. Examples:

All voom channels are 1280x1080i.
All NBC & CBS HD LiL are 1440x1080i.
Discovery HD Theather is running low on bitrate because its sharing a TP with 2 other HD's.

All in all though, the HD Lite from E* on the Voom channels literally blows away the D* HD Lite IMO, on my set (55" Mitsu CRT RPTV). My friend has the same opinion on a 50-some inch Fujitsu plasma.

Its been rumored that the Voom channels will go back to full resolution as soon as a new fiber has been installed between Vomm and E* (NY/NJ to CO). We were told about 6 months to get that done (even though they dont really lay new fiber for this, just activate it) but that timeframe does seem to go along with other fiber orders I have seen.

Dbfresh, I believe its LAW that the cable co has to offer you a firewire enabled STB. You might want to remind them of that?

And the scoop on Dishnetwork and phone lines: if you are not connected, you are VERY likely to come home one day with no programming. Furthermore, their "audit-police" will call you, and you have to then read a series of numbers from one of the info screens on each receiver. DirecTV is not this way. I will have to dig through my old info for the free VoIP stuff. I didnt end up doing it because I got full VoIP and it works fine with that. Not all VoIP services work though. The other option is Dish will allow you to not have a phone line, but there is a monthly fee ($5 or 10 I think) for this. Considering a cheap VoIP ATA can be purchased for under $40, if you have broadband, it seems like a no-brainer to me.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
All in all though, the HD Lite from E* on the Voom channels literally blows away the D* HD Lite IMO, on my set (55" Mitsu CRT RPTV). My friend has the same opinion on a 50-some inch Fujitsu plasma.
I'm the friend that Kirby is referring to, and I can confirm that the E* video from the Voom channels, even at HD Lite, is far superior to anything that is delivered from D*.

I have an extensive collection of Nextcom R5000 recordings made from D*, as well as hundreds of recordings since switching to E*, and the video comparison as viewed on my 55" Fujitsu is like night and day, in E*s favor. If, for some reason, E* never resolves the Voom resolution issue I will still not regret making the switch several months ago.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:15 AM
Sage Icon

Hi "neighbor"
Old 04-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Sage Icon

Free VoIP dialing info

As requested, take a look at this page:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=55225

Basically get yourself an unlocked Sipura ATA, and configure it to use Freeworlddialup. Links are in that thread above. Also, check out Sipura's setup guide for FWD:

http://www.sipura.com/support/help-fwd.htm

I use a dialing prefix on my 411 and 622 of *99. Works like a charm. Hardware costs on ebay seem to be about $40 or so.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

Dang it, what is E* ??
Old 04-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimper
Dang it, what is E* ??

Dish Network.