SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 10-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Sage User

I have the Sling PocketPC client also, and it works very well. If Sage was compatible with PocketPC, I would sell my SlingBox and buy the Placeshifter for sure....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet
Geez.. this thread is STILL here? LOL! Coincidentally, today my brother just got his slingbox+PocketPC to work.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destro
I have the Sling PocketPC client also, and it works very well. If Sage was compatible with PocketPC, I would sell my SlingBox and buy the Placeshifter for sure....
That's exactly how i feel, I wouldn't need to keep my slingbox hooked to one o me media centers I would be able to have both in use at the same time and not need an additional box to do it.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:13 AM
Sage Expert

Humm, I've been using Orb with my WM device for a while now. I haven't run into any problems as described here. I do have a fairly beefy server that does orb and things like exchange only. I even watch my TV over WCDMA 2100 (aka 3G, I believe) via orb with no issues excet the occational signal drop (my provider's fault not Orb's). If Sage made placeshifter work with WM I'd buy it in a second. Otherwise, I saw no point in placeshifter when things like the music system were so useless. I am happy to see that this thread is 4 pages long. I didn't think WM would even be on Frey's to do list. I actually didn't think WM was doing all that well outside of Asia. I hope everyone here emailed Frey requesting WM support, if so maybe its now on their todo list .
Old 10-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

For me, the whole placeshifting concept is interesting, but the only place I'd use it would be at work behind huge firewall/proxy infrastructure, not to mention a lot of desktop spyware that monitors everything you do. Big brother is watching....

That's why I'm so interested in the WM version. Video is completely going the way of small and portable, streaming to your cell phone. Sage needs to do this!
Old 10-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm actually wondering if there's a way to combine Sage and Slingbox together? Why shouldn't I be able to push the S-Video out of my HTPC into a Slingbox? Shouldn't I be able to teach the Sling software remote codes? In which case, I'd just teach it the StreamZap codes, and then I could control Sage from Slingbox, and stream to my phone. Am I missing something here?

Just seems an expensive way to go, considering Sage could sell a myriad of these WM placeshifter clients for $30 if they'd just write it....
Old 10-21-2006, 09:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspindel
I'm actually wondering if there's a way to combine Sage and Slingbox together? Why shouldn't I be able to push the S-Video out of my HTPC into a Slingbox? Shouldn't I be able to teach the Sling software remote codes? In which case, I'd just teach it the StreamZap codes, and then I could control Sage from Slingbox, and stream to my phone. Am I missing something here?

Just seems an expensive way to go, considering Sage could sell a myriad of these WM placeshifter clients for $30 if they'd just write it....
I believe some people ARE doing this, really expensive and cumbersome, when all the features are in sage server for this, just not on the device.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm doing this now but why tie up a device for something that can possibly done from Sage TV.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

Portable Playback

I know this isn't Placeshifter playback, but I did setup a utility to easily convert files for my 700w. I uploaded it to the "External Plugins and Utilities" area. Just Drag-N-Drop files that you want to output to your SD card. It even supports ComSkip.

Let me know what you think.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

At least in my application, streaming media and control of Sage are what I'd find useful.

On that note, has anyone noticed the "to do" list for SageTV Webserver 2.9? On the webserver its under the "SageTV" menu, then "about", at the bottom of the page.

Todo list
TODO: CSS refactor (layout/colors)
TODO: popup detailed info pages
TODO: Options page
TODO: Improved authentication (users linked to netgroups)
TODO: video/music/picture library
TODO: fix mouse-over highlight for IE (some people apparantly use it )
TODO: Comskip marker + comskip trigger support
TODO: Add stream/download links to sage-encoder encoded files in detailed info
TODO: use mencoder to dynamically generate a low BW stream for HTTP-serving video over the internet!
TODO: Improve Edit File info screen -- only modify changed fields
TODO: HDTV/First Run recording marker in EPG views

Looks like there's hope!
Old 12-01-2006, 02:12 PM
SageTVaholic

I have used my XV-6700 to adjust favorites on sage, via the web server, worked pretty good! Could be formatted better for mobile use though. And of course streaming would be AWESOME!.. hehe

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to millers_35
Yeah the formatting on my xv6700 is pretty bad using the webserver.

Miller
Old 12-01-2006, 05:50 PM
SageTVaholic

I've found PIEPlus (a Pocket IE enhancement program) formats most web pages to be much more readable. Haven't used my Sage Web Server since I've installed it though. Not sure how much it helps it.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

Wink

Hi folks,

This thread had been up for a while now.. any updates as to a implementation of a WM client?

I can adjust recordings and such from my vx-6700 but I'm ready for the live streaming.

Show Me The Streaming!!

(just another vote from a loyal customer)
Old 12-05-2006, 07:44 PM
SageTVaholic

I wonder how hard it would be to make a script that would allow use of the free Windows Media Encoder. I believe it has profiles already set up for windows mobile streaming. Maybe something that could be accessed from withing the web server. Maybe I'll poke around the Encoder and see what it can do for batches.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore
Hi folks,

This thread had been up for a while now.. any updates as to a implementation of a WM client?

I can adjust recordings and such from my vx-6700 but I'm ready for the live streaming.

Show Me The Streaming!!
If your handy with html/JS, you could try reformatting the pages within the Web User Interface...

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...postcount=1305

The Javascript within the pages is what causes the issues with WM5 phones/clients... WM5 uses Microsoft's version called JScript (nice...huh?) which is not 'quite' the same.

In any case, reformatting the served up pages to exclude the Javascript Browser check and send a windows compaible metafile would 'solve the problem of streaming...

Now including the OTF transcoding via mencoder would be a step further...

Any takers? :-)

-Jason
Old 12-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
The Javascript within the pages is what causes the issues with WM5 phones/clients... WM5 uses Microsoft's version called JScript (nice...huh?) which is not 'quite' the same.
Do you know if the same is true for WM 2003 on my xv6600?
Old 12-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1
Do you know if the same is true for WM 2003 on my xv6600?
While I am not 100% sure, I would assume so... It's one of my frustrations with WM5...

Here are some links for using Java (not quite Javascript...) on PocketPC (WM5 and others...)

http://blog.vikdavid.com/2004/12/java_on_pocketp.html

http://blogs.sun.com/bblog/entry/dev...ons_for_pocket

Heck... maybe we can get Frey to release a Placeshifter client before someone releases an update to the Web Server (along with transcoding...)?

-Jason
Old 12-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

It seems Opera supports Java script on WM 2003.

http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2005/06/30/

Would this help?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblaine2
It seems Opera supports Java script on WM 2003.

http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2005/06/30/

Would this help?
Nope... tried it. The Javascript within the web page speciifically requests certain browsers and all the Pocket version report as 'pocket versions...'

You can try changing the reported browser (registry hack...), but it still does not allow streaming...

If the web server would simply send windows metafiles(.asx/.wmx/.wvx/.wax), then the client would be able to decide what to do with them. As it stands right now, it is set up as server side checking.

It sounds simple enough (I understand WHAT to do...) but I have not dealt much with JavaScript (actually removing the offending script...).

Here is a brief example on the different types of streaming (client/server):

http://www.robertwisbey.com/how_to_web_cam_wme.html

Nielm's server embeds MP/VLC into the page whereas the second version sends an ASX stream...

-Jason
Old 12-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbmdave
I would love to placeshift with my IPAQ or Smartphone.. Both support 320x240 resolution...

Any chance it can be made to work, or a client might be made?
I would gladly pay to have this on my Windows Mobile 5 Ipaq PDA!!!!!