SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Here is a doc (in 2 parts) showing all the steps I did. I don't have a tray icon for the NVidia decoder, but I think I managed to do all the other steps as stated.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Sage Icon

As far as the decoder options go, (and some of these may not even be applicable...stanger89 will know for sure) I use anamorphic, as I have a 16:9 display...Auto deinterlacing (there is a known, *still!* problem with Smart on some content)...Pixel Adaptive...and prefer VMR9, 'cuz that's what I run for the renderer. I think Pixel Adaptive is only available for selection while video is playing. If you're still getting errors, I'd look toward some sort of hardware/software conflict. I know not everyone can afford a dedicated HTPC, but even just a clean OS install helps a lot (I couldn't see the images in your docs because I don't have anything installed on my HTPC to view them). Can you image your HD and re-install the OS, Java, Decoders, and Sage...to see if it works? If it doesn't, you can re-load the image.

P
Old 05-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro
but even just a clean OS install helps a lot
P
This post is about my SageTV client machine. It has a very clean OS installation. This is a new computer (built about 2 months ago) with a very carefully installed OS and only the necessary software applications that I know & trust well. I haven't even installed Quicktime, for example. I did make an exception to my normal ban on installing unknown software in order to install the apps to test this problem. Those included:
DECCHECK
Radlight Filter Manager
DVD-X
MWSnap
and a couple others.
Installing those bothered me a bit because I have gone to extremes to keep this OS install clean. There is no way I'm going to reinstall it now.

I chose the video card because it is the only one at a reasonable price that will drive 2 monitors at 1920 x 1200 over dual DVI. It also supports all the features of the GeForce cards normally used in HTPCs, afaik.

I'm beginning to think this is a SageTV bug. I have the exact same errors as the original poster in the same circumstances. If you look at my hardware vs. his hardware, there is nothing in common. The only common item seems to be SageTV. We have different video cards, different motherboards, different DirectX versions, different monitors, different everything. I have NVidia OEM, he had NVidia trial decoders. The only thing that is exactly the same is SageTV 5.0.2. and the errors.

My system is:
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 285 video card driving 2 HP L2335 23" monitors via DVI
Latest DirectX (April 2006)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB)
ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard
Raptor 150 GB HDD (SATA)
NEC IDE DVD ND-3550A
ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT ATX12V 500W Power Supply
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Case
no remote

[FWIW, my SageTV server uses the same motherboard as the OP. It is a P4P800 mb, 2.4 GHz Pentium 4, Toshiba DVD SD-m1102, and NVidia FX5200.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrin21
My system is the following:
Matrox Parhelia 128MB graphics (Not direct X9 its 8.1) but on latest drivers.

RME Digi 96/8PST sound card, Latest drivers. Connected optically into Tagmclaren AV32R Digital Pre amp.

ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard
1GB Corsair TWINXX memory 2 x512 in dual channel mode
Sony DVD RW drive
Accent HTPC case
Windows media center remote
Panasonic Plasma (NON HD) TH42PW4
Is it possible to get help from SageTV? (I'm suspecting they won't help me. I already threatened to return the product within the 30 day period allowed.)

Last edited by dshields; 05-13-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshields
Is it possible to get help from SageTV?
There is a link for tech support on the main index page of this forum, there is a link in my sig lines, and there are support links on the SageTV site.

This is not an 'official' technical support forum, however, so tech support doesn't monitor the forum.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

I just realized that maybe I should consider another DVD decoder... it seems everyone recommends NVidia, but I'm also wondering if that decoder could be my problem. I downloaded two trials of DVD players and both work fine, so that seems to indicate my hardware is up to the task.

At the following link several decoders are listed.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...e/plugins.aspx

Would any of these work in SageTV? Thanks
Old 05-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spent almost 2 weeks on this (not being able to play DVDs) and all it took to resolve it was changing the DVD decoder.

I downloaded a trial of PowerDVD and it just works now. I didn't have to do anything else! I just installed PowerDVD (and let SageTV use the defaults for DVD playback) and now I can watch the test DVD that I copied to my HDD previously.

I have no idea whether the Nvidia decoder problem is related to settings or hardware, but my whole issue was certainly the Nvidia decoder.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:35 AM
Sage Aficionado

dshields,

Thanks for all the documentation of that, I was having the same problem, this has been very helpful.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Sage User

I had the same sorts of issues with NVIDIA PV. I installed TheaterTEK trial and now the PV stuff works. I can even select it by name, not as 'default'.

Not sure what will happen when the TT trial runs out, but it seems to work now. Wierd
Old 06-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

dshields,

I was having the same problem. You may want to try this:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...659#post162659