SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

how can I turn on the debug file?

I suspect it wont help, as the clients directory is not being created, so it seems like the failure is happening before the sage software even connects... as the message "bootserver" implies.

As for a refund... I paid for the media mv license... I cannot use it.
reinstalling windows is nto an option for me... it would not be a 1 hour job... plus the amoutn fo backup I woul dhave to do prior would take days.

of course I would not use media center edtion, I would still use sage, just not with my MVP.

I dont understand how it can just get corrupt from one day to the next... makes no sense... maybe scrubbing the registry will help... I do see when I run the mvp license key tool, that a dialog appears and says "your license is expired, you have 1 valid license"... kind of a confusing message...
XP Pro SP2, P4 2.6 ghz, 1GB RAM, 2 X 80GB seagate serial ATA barracuda HDDs,2 X 160 GB samsung silent parallel ATA HDDs, antec sonata v1.1, msi gforce 6600gt vivo, hpage pvr150, sagetv v5, harmony remote, hauppauge media mvp, USB UIRT, Bell Expressvu
Old 05-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

In the sage folder the debug file is called “sagetv_0.txt”. I think the debug function is turned on by default but if not add

debug_logging=TRUE

to the file sage.properties.
I guess you should be able to see there if the license issue is causing problems. I would also try to make a new network cable connection to the mvp even though you think it sounds crazy. Just to rule that out. To me the 10 mb half duplex thing sounds very strange.

rtengvad
Server: Win7 • SageTV v7.1.9 • GA-MA785GM-US2H • Athlon 64 X2 BE-2350 • 2 Gb RAM • 4x 1Tb WD RE-2 GP in RAID5, Adaptec 5405 Raid controller • 2x firewire DVB-C FloppyDTV C/CI, 1x TechnoTrend CT-3650 CI via the LM Smart DVB Recorder plug-in.

Clients: HD300 to a Samsung PS50C7705 (PN50C8000) via a DVDO Edge • HD200 • Placeshifter

Remote: Universal Remote Control MX-980

Last edited by rtengvad; 05-26-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:39 AM
SageTVaholic

You definitely could turn on the SageTV server log. That might help them determine the problem. When the MVP tries to connect to the Server packets of info are exchanged. If any entries from the MVP connect make it to the log files it will probably help them fix your problem. If NO entries make it to the log that may help too because it will tell them it isn't even getting to the initial communication.

BobP.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

thanks, will try this.
i just connected the mvp directly to the switch that the server is on... and used a "known to be good" short cable... I still get contacting bootserver indefinitely.
XP Pro SP2, P4 2.6 ghz, 1GB RAM, 2 X 80GB seagate serial ATA barracuda HDDs,2 X 160 GB samsung silent parallel ATA HDDs, antec sonata v1.1, msi gforce 6600gt vivo, hpage pvr150, sagetv v5, harmony remote, hauppauge media mvp, USB UIRT, Bell Expressvu
Old 05-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

BINGO.... with logging turned on (it wasnt by default) I saw in the log that loopback address was being used... 127.0.0.1
I then checked my network connections, and saw there was an entry for the microsoft loopback adapter.
I disabled that, and all is well.
Furthermore, i no longer need to drop to 10 mbit half duplex... i dont know if that is due to the fresh install, or the 5.03 beta... or just pure luck.

I am not sure how I got an entry for the loopback adapter... I dont know what it would be there for... I checked another 3 xp machines, they dont have a loopback adapter in the network settings. Cmaffia, you were certainly right, at least partially right... it was not a sage problem.

now, I still wonder a few things... how did my 10mbit vs 100 mbit get fixed, where did my loopback adapter network entry come from, and why does hauppauge software work with loopback on, while sage doesnt.

weird.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Good to hear that you are up and running again.

rtengvad
Server: Win7 • SageTV v7.1.9 • GA-MA785GM-US2H • Athlon 64 X2 BE-2350 • 2 Gb RAM • 4x 1Tb WD RE-2 GP in RAID5, Adaptec 5405 Raid controller • 2x firewire DVB-C FloppyDTV C/CI, 1x TechnoTrend CT-3650 CI via the LM Smart DVB Recorder plug-in.

Clients: HD300 to a Samsung PS50C7705 (PN50C8000) via a DVDO Edge • HD200 • Placeshifter

Remote: Universal Remote Control MX-980
Old 05-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

anyone happen to know how to get my "Sagetv recordings" from the previous install to appear as recording again (instead of imported video).

that is a nag. surely sage has a way to do this.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoehlke
anyone happen to know how to get my "Sagetv recordings" from the previous install to appear as recording again (instead of imported video).

that is a nag. surely sage has a way to do this.
IF you have a copy of your wiz.bin from the previous install, you can copy over your existing wiz.bin with the old one and it should "bring back" your sage recordings. However, any recording newer than the wiz.bin will now be imports.

make sure you have a backup of your current wiz.bin, so if you have any problems, then put back the current wiz.bin
Old 05-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
See?? Glad you got it working :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoehlke
BINGO.... with logging turned on (it wasnt by default) I saw in the log that loopback address was being used... 127.0.0.1
I then checked my network connections, and saw there was an entry for the microsoft loopback adapter.
I disabled that, and all is well.
Furthermore, i no longer need to drop to 10 mbit half duplex... i dont know if that is due to the fresh install, or the 5.03 beta... or just pure luck.

I am not sure how I got an entry for the loopback adapter... I dont know what it would be there for... I checked another 3 xp machines, they dont have a loopback adapter in the network settings. Cmaffia, you were certainly right, at least partially right... it was not a sage problem.

now, I still wonder a few things... how did my 10mbit vs 100 mbit get fixed, where did my loopback adapter network entry come from, and why does hauppauge software work with loopback on, while sage doesnt.

weird.
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 05-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

rats, my wiz.bin is gone... i guess there is nothign I can do... unless wiz.bin is editable.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:52 AM

I have had the MVP boot problem. It has never worked with the new Sage Server (the 4.1.1x betas and now the 5.0 version) but worked with the Michael Koenig MVP software previously. It also works with the Hauppauge MVP software.

The MVP hangs when booting, screen flashing with boot message.

After reading another thread (http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ad.php?t=18268) I stopped a DHCP server on another PC on my network that was serving addresses 192.168.1.50-192.168.1.70. (SageServer is192.168.1.16)

That immediately fixed the problem. I haven't yet had time to work out where the MVP is getting its IP address or what the IP is. (probably from a DSL modem). I don't pretend to know what I'm doing, but it seems there was some conflict. Could Sage be giving out IP's?

Last edited by ronw; 05-29-2006 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

well mine started to work once I disabled the microsoft loopback adapter... but it looks like sage uses 127.0.0.1 (loopback) and a 10.x.x.x address internally for something or other... I dont really understand it either, but I saw those IPs in the log file.

my home network is a 198.x.x.x network, so really, neither of those IPs really make any sense in the log file (ok, so I know 127.0.0.1 is localhost, but still)
Old 06-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

I was having the same issue with the MVP, a neighborhood power failure preceeded my issue.

Here was the problem: The sage server started before the network card received its IP address. (This was possibly a DHCP server issue on my end).

Stupid Microsoft assigns a dummy IP on the 169.* network when DHCP fails.

Sage bound to the 169. address. The MVP uses the bootp protocol to boot itself. bootp is a broadcast protocol. When the sage server responds it replies on the 169.* network. BAD.

Long story short. Restarting sage cleared up the MVP issue.

-MrD
Old 06-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
SageTV software doesn't function as a DHCP server
2 DHCP Servers on the same subnet? That's not going to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronw
I have had the MVP boot problem. It has never worked with the new Sage Server (the 4.1.1x betas and now the 5.0 version) but worked with the Michael Koenig MVP software previously. It also works with the Hauppauge MVP software.

The MVP hangs when booting, screen flashing with boot message.

After reading another thread (http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ad.php?t=18268) I stopped a DHCP server on another PC on my network that was serving addresses 192.168.1.50-192.168.1.70. (SageServer is192.168.1.16)

That immediately fixed the problem. I haven't yet had time to work out where the MVP is getting its IP address or what the IP is. (probably from a DSL modem). I don't pretend to know what I'm doing, but it seems there was some conflict. Could Sage be giving out IP's?
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8

Last edited by cmaffia; 06-06-2006 at 06:57 PM.