SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to hechacker1
Nvidia 90 Series driver w/new Purevideo decoding!

Nvidia released new 90 series drivers recently. I decided to give them a try and found something surprising.

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_do...etadriver.html

The drivers now have much better Purevideo decoder support and integrate a Video section in the new nvidia control panel.

Now there is an option for "Color Temperature", which btw made my video B&W until i changed it. I guess there are weird defaults.

There is "Noise Reduction" and "Edge Enhancement" and they enabled on my SageTV video right away as I applied them.. amazing quality considering it isn't using any CPU.

"inverse telecine" is there, but I think that was also in the older drivers.

Also, a new Purevideo deinterlacing mode, "Smarter"

Video quality is excellent with the new settings. The video's look very smooth and I think the new deinterlacing is helping a lot.

anyways, just a heads up.. maybe somebody knows what the new "smarter" mode is.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Thumbs up nVidia Forceware 91.28 + nVidia PureVideo Decoder 4.02-196

I finally installed this on my HTPC, the "right" way. I uninstalled the previous version, uninstalled the PureVideo decoders, and rebooted. Then proceeded to install the 91.28 drivers, reboot, and installed the 196 PureVideo decoders, and then....

Anybody else notice a new Deinterlace Control? "Smarter"?

5-minute report:

It does appeart to in fact be smart-er, at least than my previous setup. It manages to detect as progressive, or at least deinterlace well, a couple of real trouble spots I'd been dealing with previously.

I also like the integrated Sharpness and Noise Reduction controls. It seems I may finally be able to "have my cake and eat it to" (sorry), in that I can get the extra sharpness afforded previously only by ffdshow, but now without giving up my DXVA deinterlacing/film detection.

I'm just wish I hadn't waited as long to install them on my HTPC.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Sage User

i already made a post about this too..

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18226

* merged *
Old 06-02-2006, 05:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Now how did I miss that!
Old 06-02-2006, 06:01 AM
SageTVaholic

So the sharpness and noise settings work with VMR9?

What settings have you guys found work best? I may try to do some tweaking this weekend and would like an idea of where to start.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Sage User

another screenshot + my current settings:

I'm liking nvidia's attempt at making better video drivers. What's really nice is that those settings apply to all of my VMR9 video and it uses no CPU resources. Quality is just as good as dscaler without the huge CPU requirement.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Sage Fanatic

which cards do you guys have? My 6600gt hasn't performed well in vmr9, I installed the latest drivers last night, do you think I should attempt vmr9 again?
Old 06-02-2006, 04:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanzee
which cards do you guys have? My 6600gt hasn't performed well in vmr9, I installed the latest drivers last night, do you think I should attempt vmr9 again?
I have a 6600GT and have been using VMR9 ever since Sage added FSE.

I did notice a problem with underscan resolutions and the beta driver. Sometimes my resolution gets changed to full 720p upon reboot or when applying a change that has nothing to do with resolution. A little annoying, but I can live with it since I've got new settings to play with.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Sage Icon

I saw Stanger's post on AVS and downloaded the .exe's, but havn't installed yet. I'm pretty psyched because I'm pretty happy with what I have now (analog cable/PVR500's), quality wise...this can only be better.

P
Old 06-03-2006, 02:21 PM

Don't have all those tabs...

I installed the new drivers and I have the new console with color corrections and "smarter," but I don't have all those tabs. Just brightness, hut, gamma, etc. No noise correction or edging.

Anyone have the same issue? Any solution? I've got geforce 7600 GS graphics card.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach606
I installed the new drivers and I have the new console with color corrections and "smarter," but I don't have all those tabs. Just brightness, hut, gamma, etc. No noise correction or edging.
They are in the driver settings not the decoder. Open the new Nvidia control panel. Click on video and television, adjust video color settings, then click on the enhancements tab. If you're already looking there then I have no clue.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
I did notice a problem with underscan resolutions and the beta driver.
If I adjust any of the video settings in the driver I get crazy underscan, it clips off about an inch all the way around the screen. Last time to get it back to 1:1 I had to uninstall the driver and reboot, and reinstall and reboot.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanzee
I get crazy underscan
Ok, I think I figured this out, Go into your display settings, then select to use the classic nvidia control panel. Once it is up in the old style you can select nView Display Settings. Then you can click on "Device Settings >>"
Then there should be an option for "HDTV Overscan Configuration" I had to toggle the options from native to underscan then apply then toggle it back to native and it took care of my problem.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:18 PM
SageTVaholic

I'll have to give that a try.

I haven't had much time to play around with it yet, but I can't really tell much difference (if any). The first time I changed the settings it seemed to make a difference, but now it doesn't seem like it has any effect. The drivers are definetly beta.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:34 AM
SageTVaholic

I similarly could not see the noise reduction and edge enhancement at first. To view these options you have to be in the "Advanced View." Under the title bar you should see the words "Standard View." Click on that and select Advanced View and you should see the other options.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Do these drivers work with ATI cards?

Clients: 2 HD Extenders
Old 06-04-2006, 06:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCritical
Do these drivers work with ATI cards?
No.

Just to clear it up for people. There are two different things being talked about in this thread. The Nvidia video card drivers, which contain sharpening and noise reduction settings in the driver control panel.

Then there's the new smarter deinterlacing setting in the Nvidia PureVideo Decoder control panel. Both of these things are exclusive to Nvidia video cards. The smarter setting only appears when using the newer beta driver for the Nvidia video cards.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

In addition ATI users can download the PureVideo decoder from the nvidia website linked here. I am not 100% sure this is the same as what is included with the driversets but I use it and I agree the video is very well. It is a 30 day trial.

I use a 9800 pro which does not support the new x1000 avivo stuff (that I know of).
Remote: Media Center Remote / Keyboard
Case: MCE-701 w/ 7-Inch Touchscreen
Old 06-05-2006, 05:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athfar
In addition ATI users can download the PureVideo decoder from the nvidia website linked here. I am not 100% sure this is the same as what is included with the driversets but I use it and I agree the video is very well. It is a 30 day trial.
There is no PureVideo Decoder included with the Nvidia Drivers. The decoder we're talking about is the same one you download from the Nvidia site. The new Nvidia video card drivers simply add a new feature to the Nvidia decoder.

BTW the link to the trial you provided is to the old version. The new version can be found here.

Last edited by blade; 06-05-2006 at 05:25 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

i tried these drivers with my gf4 ti4600 in my htpc, seems the tv out doesnt work with the beta 90 series, yet..

i could get the drivers to actualy give me a dual view setup, or a spanned setup, meaning the extra desktop was actually created in windows, but i couldnt get it to display on the TV, only color bars.

i have my tv setup as primary monitor, so by default, windows tend to open on that monitor, you can only imagine the pain it was to get the drivers uninstalled when i couldnt see anything

anyway, just a heads up to anyone using a gf4 (or more specifically a gf4 ti4600) when installing the beta 90's. im sure it'll be fixed in the final version but it seems broke at the moment.

fyi, i experienced these issues in v91.28.