SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Sage Icon

SWEET! I missed this post till now. Thanks again for lending your services! Its definitely above and beyond the norm. You may even change my stance on lawyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUC
Hey all, i'm back and everything is once again good on my end (thankfully). Insomniac-thanks for the kind words.

So--haven't heard anything about the letter. So--i will send it out on monday and if you have any additional information or anything else that should be added let me know.
Thanks,
JUC

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkovacs
Hi, I'm going to be building a system soon, and for a while I was thinking about going with BeyondTV, but they don't seem to have support for media extending HDTV. It appears that you guys are working on it? Anybody from SageTV directly, officially involved?
Sage has said they plan to have a HDTV media extender, but no word as to when or which product it will be.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:43 AM

dsm-520...?

So what about the DSM-520, would that work? I'm not necessarily looking for a SageTV brand box, just anything that would work... I thought people in this thread were working that...?
Old 07-09-2006, 03:07 AM
Sage Fanatic

Hi gregkovacs,

I understand that you aren't looking for a SageTV 'branded' box. The current MVP isn't a Sage branded box either. It's just a normal Hauppauge MVP running Sage software, which does do FAR more than any other software for the MVP.

As for the DSM-520, it IS being worked on in this thread. The first thing that has to happen before the community (or Sage officially, for that matter) can develope a port for it is to get ALL the source code and documentation for it. This is where we are at right now.

Once this is acquired, THEN we can move forward. One of the community members developed a software 'client' for the MVP before Sage 'officially' released theirs. It worked well, but was greatly exceeded by the official one from Sage. I'd suspect a similar thing will happen here as well, if/when we get the source and documentation necessary.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 07-09-2006, 05:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkovacs
So what about the DSM-520, would that work? I'm not necessarily looking for a SageTV brand box, just anything that would work... I thought people in this thread were working that...?
As PGPfan explained, no one is actually working on a "client" for the DSM-520 right now. The community is working on getting the necessary code and documentation needed. If they can get it maybe a member can get the 520 working or someone from Sage will jump on it.

Sage plans to add official support for a HDTV extender at some point. Obviously Sage is not currently working on the DSM-520 because they don't have what they need. As I said before, we're all still waiting to see what product will be officially supported or what the community may be able to get going before then.

Last edited by blade; 07-09-2006 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:38 PM

Great! Thanks for the reponse! I'll keep watching this thread then...
Old 07-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Sage Icon

Letter was mailed this morning. Guess we just wait from here on out. If I don't get a response by the middle of next week, I will follow up with a call to their legal department. I don't expect anything to happen too quickly. Possibly-and hopefully, by the time we get the actual source code sage will have released an HD extender!!
JUC
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 07-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Sage Fanatic

JUC, thanks so much for 'taking the ball, and running with it"! If we do get the source code we need, I think a few of us are going to owe you quite a few cold ones for the work you've done.

Please keep us up to date on what (if anything) developes!

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 07-10-2006, 09:14 PM

For anyone under the illusion that D-Link will provide any form of help, get rid of it now. I have been hacking on the DSM-320 since it came out. My intent was to use it as a MythTV client since it runs linux and is fairly hackable if you know what you're doing. D-Link either doesn't want people hacking the box, or just has the worst customer service/relations department in the known universe. I actually think it's a little bit of both.

The 320 (no idea about the 520) is really a re-packaged Redsonic SecureSoHo Media reference board. It has a Sigma MPEG decoder chip and uses the Sigma proprietary binary drivers. The kernel is a 2.4.19 based arm kernel with some minor customization. D-Link was very late in getting out their toolchain for the device, so much of the early hacking led to many 320-shaped bricks. The JTAG header is not soldered, so you need to do some soldering and buy a JTAG programmer to un-brickify your box.

The bottom line is that the first two hardware revisions and 7 firmware releases were barely usable as a UPnP media extender. During that painful process when D-Link wasn't being purposefully unhelpful, they were being thoroughly incompetant.

- Bruce
Old 07-11-2006, 05:21 AM
Sage Icon

I think we are all aware that Dlink will be of no help here. But-we have to start somewhere and hopefully can move up the chain to redsonic and sigma shortly. If nothing else, its nice to give a jab to those developing under the GNU GPL who are not complying with the terms of the user agreement.
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Old 07-28-2006, 07:17 AM
Sage Icon

Quick update-its been a few weeks and no word from Dlink. I think I will give a call to their corporate offices on monday and see where that gets me. I wish sage would give us a clue as to what is in the works for them in terms of an HD extender...
JUC

Old 07-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks again, JUC for taking the time to work this. If we can get the info we need, Sage (and all of us)will owe you a LARGE debt of gratitude!

I too wish Sage would be a little more regarding direction. Who knows, maybe they are sitting on the sidelines watching this thread before they 'make their move'.

-PGPfan
Old 07-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Sage

I can assure you we are watching this thread. I've called D-Link before myself trying to get that code and of course they'll refer you to RedSonic who of course will refer you to SigmaDesgins. And if we ever get what we need, it probably wouldn't be that long until the extender was fully functional (we've done testing of the SageTV extender SW running on a DSM-520 before, but it's highly unstable....which can be fixed by doing a proper integration that would require the kernel sources which we haven't been able to obtain)

That a good update?
Old 07-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks!!! That is a nice update;-)
Old 07-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Sage Icon

Damn right thats a good update. Now we just hope that someone gets through sometime soon!

I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
I can assure you we are watching this thread. I've called D-Link before myself trying to get that code and of course they'll refer you to RedSonic who of course will refer you to SigmaDesgins. And if we ever get what we need, it probably wouldn't be that long until the extender was fully functional (we've done testing of the SageTV extender SW running on a DSM-520 before, but it's highly unstable....which can be fixed by doing a proper integration that would require the kernel sources which we haven't been able to obtain)

That a good update?

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

Perhaps it's time to start a mass emailing campaign. Thoughts anyone?

-PGPfan
Old 07-31-2006, 12:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan
Perhaps it's time to start a mass emailing campaign. Thoughts anyone?

-PGPfan
Count me in just give me the email addresses and an idea of what I need to ask for.

BobP.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Was Sigma Designs helpful?

/Per
Old 08-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Sage User

Count me in too for the mass email. Just post the address.

I just can't understand why Sigma or moreso Dlink doesn't look at the lost opportunity cost of what they're doing. They would sell tons of these if they complied with the GPL license. They would have no concerns with warranty, because everybody knows (or should know) that when they install third party software the warranty is void.
This is quite puzzling to me.

Regards,
MTisza

PS. Thanks JUC for your support.
Provider: FIOS
Clients: 3xHD200 (20100909 0)
2xHD300
Old 08-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex

That a good update?
thanks for posting...