SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbone View Post
From the previous document provided:
"One possible solution would be to issue a single 400kb write. This would mean the application needs to deal with data records that size or do its own buffering."

Many of the other suggestions in the document don't seem to fit well.
It also stated that while you could do that, it wouldn't prevent fragmenting which was shown by the results of the test where IIRC the resulting file had 10 fragments just like the original test.

And further, you really can't buffer and then write a potentially 20GB file.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
That's not exactly what it was saying, not the way I read it. The way I read it was basically to minimize fragmentation you should tell the file system how large the file is going to be beforehand, then the file system can do it's best to allocate that space in one contiguous area.
That's how I read it too. The article is not about buffering larger chunks in memory; it's about pre-allocating the file on disk, either all at once before writing anything, or in 64MB chunks as the file grows. This may be a "best practice" for non-real-time apps where read performance is paramount and write performance doesn't matter much, but I still claim it's a "worst practice" for Sage because of Sage's particular need to capture multiple real-time data streams as efficiently as possible, with a minimum of disk seeking.

Quote:
How many bytes does SageTV actually commit with each write request? I have no idea.
Looks like 64K according to Performance Monitor. But then my disk is formatted with 64K clusters, so possibly Sage is committing smaller chunks and the OS is aggregating them to fill whole clusters. Procmon should be able to tell the difference, but that's a more involved experiment than I care to undertake at bedtime.

So if the claim is that Sage could be smarter about buffering larger chunks to reduce fragmentation, then fine, I won't argue with that. My guess is that they're currently building the capture graph using a stock file writer filter that doesn't allow for such fine tuning. So fixing it is probably not just a matter of tweaking a buffer size parameter, but may require rolling their own file writer filter to expose such a parameter.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
It also stated that while you could do that, it wouldn't prevent fragmenting which was shown by the results of the test where IIRC the resulting file had 10 fragments just like the original test.
No. They state that writing a 400k file in multiple 1k blocks results in fragmentation.

Committing in large blocks is a well known way of keeping NTFS from fragmenting the block you are committing, provided there are enough contiguous blocks available.

Quote:
And further, you really can't buffer and then write a potentially 20GB file.
You don't need to buffer a 20GB file, you just need to buffer enough to offset the performance hit of seeking. Since 64k clusters help, something as small as a 64k buffer would probably work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
So if the claim is that Sage could be smarter about buffering larger chunks to reduce fragmentation, then fine, I won't argue with that. My guess is that they're currently building the capture graph using a stock file writer filter that doesn't allow for such fine tuning. So fixing it is probably not just a matter of tweaking a buffer size parameter, but may require rolling their own file writer filter to expose such a parameter.
Fixing it would likely also fix issues like the loss of video between contiguous shows (IE: live TV).

My point, and I think it is spelled out quite well, is that it is a weakness of SageTV. Relying on 64k block size to fix it, rather than fixing the underlying weakness, is a bit hack-ish to me.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
No. They state that writing a 400k file in multiple 1k blocks results in fragmentation.

Committing in large blocks is a well known way of keeping NTFS from fragmenting the block you are committing, provided there are enough contiguous blocks available.
You're right I was confusing a side note from program 3 with program 2.

Quote:
Fixing it would likely also fix issues like the loss of video between contiguous shows (IE: live TV).
Not really, the loss of video is due to tearing down the capture graph (sink filter and all), retuning and building a new one for the next show.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Not really, the loss of video is due to tearing down the capture graph (sink filter and all), retuning and building a new one for the next show.
Yes. I meant (and missed) to imply that if buffering to memory first, you open up more possibilities for handling this without rebuilding the graph -- though this could admittedly get very complicated very quickly (and rapidly moved away from the topic at hand, so my apologizes for the hijack -- but, taking a wild guess, I have to think there is an out-of-the-box solution that already exists for this very purpose).

Please don't get me wrong. I take a critical view on SageTV's short-comings not because I don't like the product, but because I do like it, and would like to see it improve. My view is that excusing faults, however slight, does not help anything.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Sage User

ExFAT supports monstrous 32M clusters, I would guess they'd be pretty tough to fragment. I only record OTA HD so the files are always several gigabytes.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Sage Expert

a little off topic from where the thread is going, but does anyone know how to format a drive w/ 64k blocks on Macintosh OS 10.5+? (drives are formatted HFS+ w/ journaling)

With the built in software, it is only possible to set the block size when creating a RAID array. I haven't noticed any issues at all with recordings (i have 4 ATSC/QAM tuners all recording to the same 2 TB drive) but i have a few hours free time, and wanted to dick around with Sage a bit
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 01-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Sage Expert

OSX may be better about block allocation in general, so I wouldn't worry about it, unless you start noticing severe fragmentation and problems recording/playing back video.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
OSX may be better about block allocation in general, so I wouldn't worry about it, unless you start noticing severe fragmentation and problems recording/playing back video.
cool, everything i have read about HFS+ w/ journaling points towards that, but i was just wondering
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 01-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Sage User

I did a little experiment the other day: I copied my Program Files folder to a partition with 64k block size. It was 10.5 GB of data, and took 12.5 GB of disk space. So, for regular files, it has about a 20% overhead (at least for these files, for me). It would probably be linear, so 32k block size would have 10% overhead, 16k would have 5%, and so on.