SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-27-2003, 05:50 PM
SageTV Co-Founder

Full USB-UIRT support available

We've been working with Jon Rhees, the creator of the USB-UIRT IR device to integrate full IR receive and transmit functionality into SageTV. I'm pleased to say the development is finished and now we need those with the device to test out the new functionality.

In order to use the new functionality, you must be running version 1.4.10 or later and download the attached zip file. Within the download there's a readme that says where to put the new driver.

The attached version 1.0.0.1 of the irsage.dll will refuse to run if the API driver is not 2.6.4 or later available at http://www.usbuirt.com/latestAPIDriver.zip.

One important note is that the .ir files are not compatible across the USB-UIRT and the Actisys. The .ir files that you already have will only work with the Actisys. Any codes you want the USB-UIRT to use, you'll need to teach the device your STB remote codes.

More iformation on the USB-UIRT is available at http://www.usbuirt.com.

Another thing to note is that the new USB-UIRT drivers will allow you to share the device with other applications so any work you've done using Girder and the USB-UIRT with other apps will still be available.
Attached Files
File Type: zip uu_irsage_1001.zip (26.6 KB, 2700 views)

Last edited by dkardatzke; 11-20-2003 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:49 PM
Sage User

Ok I have downloaded and installed into Sage 1.4.10 both the updated USB_UIRT API Driver and the irsage.dll but there is a problem.
In setup I’m able to select the USB-UIRT device but there is no USB port to select on the next screen only COM ports.
I have tried deleting Sage’s preference files and starting with a fresh setup with the same results.

Thanks for the good work!
Old 10-27-2003, 09:37 PM
Sage

Just select any COM port in the SetupWizard (since they are your only options) after selecting the USB-UIRT as your transmitter and you'll be fine.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:48 PM

Yeah! I and my wife thank you.

Yah it works. I love it, thank you. One thing I'm not too fond of is the programming. Having the test and reprogram, for each button, alternating like that makes it easy to accidently hit reprogram for a button when you wanted to test it. I think having all the button tests in a row followed by the reprogram would make more sense. Or at least make it harder for an all thumbs person like me to test my buttons without messing up another buttons programming. No big deal though. I'm guessing that when Sage2 comes that part could be redone.

PS:Is there any way to add a code after the number is transmitted. My digital cable company puts up this stupid banner for 5 seconds after a channel change. I can clear it by pressing the "exit" button on my cable remote. Is there any way I can have this code transmitted right after the three # digits are sent?

PPS:Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Last edited by justme; 10-27-2003 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

Well, that didn't go so well. At first I could not get past a "unable to detect..." error in the wizard. I then found that the XCard IR applet was running. I killed it and then the configuration worked OK except that I cannot re-program the IR codes. It goes through the motions OK but when I test it nothing is sent to the Satelite receiver (Dish 301). Works OK with the IR200L.

Matt
Old 10-28-2003, 01:46 AM

First a dumb question, sorry but I have to ask:Did you add a new device?
Second:Does the red light on the USB-UIRT flicker when you programmed in the IR code, and does the light flash when you test it?

Last edited by justme; 10-28-2003 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:29 AM
Sage User

Ok I got it to control the cable box and it seems to work.
Still need to map the remote control.

I'll let you know if any problems arrise.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

ok 1 question I am using a directv box with a wintv 250 remote and a serial connection between the computer and the box. I would like to use the directv remote due to the more functions it has. Can I user the usbuirt, and if so how would I use it with the serial low data port.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

justme - Yes, drivers are loaded and all of the versions meet pre-req's for the Sage support of the USB-UIRT. It works OK with Girder and I am able to program IR codes into Girder using the USB-UIRT.

I went back to the Sage config and noted that the red light on the USB-UIRT does not light up when you try to program from the Dish 301 remote. I even put fresh batteries in the remote to be sure. It looks like the USB-UIRT is not compatible with the Dish 301 remote. I'll have to go over to Jon's site and see if anyone else has had problems with the 301.

Matt
Old 10-28-2003, 04:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Does the Dish Network 301 require the additional 56KHz IR Sensor? That could be the problem.

I have a 301 and was using Girder and USB UIRT with no problem using the old sageGML way to use a USB-UIRT with Sage. But I have the additional 56KHz IR Sensor.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Mixtracks - yes, the 301 does require the 56KHz IR sensor. I never stumbled on this problem before because I didn't have to reprogram Sage with the IR-200L.
I can either go buy another USB-UIRT or cool my jets until Jeff includes the 301 IR codes in the standard Sage config.

Anyone out there have an .ir file for the Dish 301 that they can share?

Matt
Old 10-29-2003, 02:20 AM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to Mambo
Hi there,
does this put an end to having multiple instances of sagerecorder running, when using multiple Actisys-IR in a multituner setup?
Old 10-29-2003, 08:07 PM

Is the format(in the Sage ir file) the same as the usual USB-UIRT IR codes? If so maybe you could get the codes from a Pronto CCF file for the 301. I'm pretty sure there is a way to convert between the standard USB-UIRT codes and the pronto format. Maybe this could help others with 56KHz issues, as well.

PS:Sorry to ask agian but, does anyone know how to send an extra code after the 3 digit channel codes?
Old 10-29-2003, 10:30 PM
Sage User

Need help with USB-UIRT transmit functions

sage is the best. been using it for 3 months or so and very happy with it. however now i'm ready to access all of my cable channels, not just the 100 that my pvr-250 can tune.

i installed/updated everything as mentioned in the first post of this thread. i trained sage, via usb-uirt, to learn a standard remote control i have -- this remote can now do everything my pvr-250 remote could do inside of sage.

that's all good, but now i need help teaching sage to change channels on my digital cable box. i looked around but couldn't find any posts on this.

am i right in understanding that can work. without using girder, i mean. does this mean sage has to be set up to a fixed channel source? any help would rock!
Old 10-29-2003, 11:17 PM

I use the composite input of my PVR250 for my digital channels and the coax input for my analog channels. Here is a rough deccription of how I set mine up.
Just go to Setup>Setup Wizard>Add or modify a source. Follow the normal setup and choose your digital cable lineup. Make sure you remove any channels that overlap with your analog channel lineup(your PVR250's tuner input).
Choose composite(you can use SVHS if you didgital box has it) from the source selection.
Choose "I have a infrared transciever or plugin to setup".
Choose "USB-UIRT transciever".
For right now select any com port(i used com4).
Select "add new device". Give it a name that makes sense to you.
Then follow the onscreen directions on teaching sageTV the IR codes for you Digital cable box's remote. Make sure you point your cable box remote within a inch or so of your USB-UIRT. When done test all your numbers and reprogram any that didn't ake right the first time. Don't forget to have a RCA/composite cable connecting your cable box's compsite outputs to the PVR250 composite audio/video inputs.

That's pretty much it. I didn't talk about the assigned channel option since I don't use that one. Sorry if I misssed any steps,or gave a wrong instruction, as I typed this out very fast. Either way this should give you enough info to at least setup Sage so you can test the remote control of your cable box, even if you choose to use a different cable arrangement.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:10 AM
Sage User

beta usb-uirt support and cable box

thanks justme. that helps. i played around with it and it seems to work, kind of. my cable box is, naturally, not one on the supported list.

if i punch in a channel via the number pad (slowly!), it works, more or less.

if i use the sage guide and try to access something directly, sage's osd shows that it thinks it's changing channels, but the cable box doesn't change.

i'm now using my cable box remote, but i'm a bit puzzled by how that should work. i mean, if i use my cable remote to dial up 333, the cable box should go to 333 just from that. but then sage is supposed to go to 333, then tell the cable box to go to 333 (again)? how does that work? would i be better off with a third party remote?

i'd really like to get to where i can record, through my cable box, things from the epg. am i asking too much?
Old 10-30-2003, 01:14 AM

The devices listed aren't compatible with the USB-UIRT, they use codes that are for the ACTISYS. So you wouldn't want to use one of those anyway. Hopefully Frey will soon release IR code files for the USB-UIRT. For now when you try teaching Sage try holding down on your cable remote's buttons til Sage prompts you with the next step. Or if you tried this then try programming by a quick tap on the button. Different remotes behave differently, but since you said you were able to control Sage with this remote it should work for channel changing. Either way, once you get your cable box's remote codes programmed in properly you definitely would be better off using another remote to control SageTV. Right now you have the IR commands going out twice as you pointed out in your post. This could be causing some of the confusion you are seeing.

I use my Tivo remote(set to switch 2 so it doesn't effect my Tivo) to control SageTV. That way SageTV can use my cable box if it needs to. Or if Sage isn't using the digital cable box I can use my cable remote to control my digital box.
Quote:
i'd really like to get to where i can record, through my cable box, things from the epg. am i asking too much?
No you aren't. I can do this using the setup I described. You just need to get your codes in properly or wait til frey comes out with USB-UIRT compatible files for your box. By the way what model is it?

Last edited by justme; 10-30-2003 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:37 AM
Sage User

mediahome,

The USB-UIRT should be able to learn (for retransmission) your Dish301 remote just fine (with or without the 56KHz sensor). Remember that you need to place the remote about 3" from the usb-uirt face while learning. You will see the USB-UIRT LED blink when you PRESS and HOLD the button on your remote.

In any case, if you want to make your own .IR file, it's easy:

1. Create an 'xxxx.IR' file in NotePad.
2. Start with the following template:

IRDeviceName 37616 411 3 600 1000
RepeatCount 10
1 0000...
2 0000...
3 0000...
4 0000...
5 0000...
6 0000...
7 0000...
8 0000...
9 0000...
0 0000...
Enter 0000...
Guide 0000...
Exit 0000...

3. Replace 'IRDeviceName' with your Device Name (no spaces!)
4. Replace each '0000...' with the PRONTO (Learned format -- always starts with 0000 xxxx...') for the particular button. Pronto codes can be found at RemoteCentral.com. Remember to have NO <returns> in the middle of the code!
5. Adjust the 'RepeatCount' number as needed. Starting with a high value such as 10 will likely work, but if your SAT receiver sees too many keypresses or the IR transmission takes too long you can reduce this value.
6. Save and close the file.

Best Regards,

Jon
Old 10-30-2003, 12:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Jon,

Thanks for the reply. Your support is great! You seen to be right on top of it even when the questions are not posted on yoru board.

No matter what I do the USB-UIRT never flashes with a button push on the Dish 301 remote. The reciever itself responds OK so the remote is "OK", but the USB-UIRT does not repond. ????

Thanks for the template. I will play around with that and see what I can come up with. If I can build a good .IR file I really won't care about this anomaly.

Matt
Old 10-30-2003, 12:26 PM
Sage User

mediahome,

Have you ever used your USB-UIRT with Girder? If so, have you ever 'Learned' codes in Girder with this or other remotes?

Keep in mind that if you have a 38 version, then the only time you'll see the LED flash with your Dish301 remote (which sends at 56KHz) is while LEARNING. During learning the USB-UIRT uses a different sensor which is very short range (between 2 and 8" approximately).

I would be interested to know if you've successfully used the Learning function with your USB-UIRT (either with Sage or Girder)...

-Jon