SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-03-2005, 05:26 AM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to DjJohn97 Send a message via Yahoo to DjJohn97
This DIsh 811 is RF from the remote but it has an IR sensor on the front. I have tried to use a universal remote programed to the Dish commands, however, it did not work either. It appears that when I use the Dish commands the universal remote is not sending it out IR because the usb-iurt the red light does not come on. When I use the haupauge remote the red light comes on. Also when I use the tv mode of the dish remote the light comes on on the usb-iurt.

Am I screwed (have to switch to the Dish DVR instead of Sage? ) I hope there is a way I can get this working.

I forgot to mention that I have the Dish connected to the computer with Svideo cable as this dish does not have a regular cable line output.

Thanks,
John
Old 10-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Sage Expert

The dish boxes are channel dependent too... But I'm not sure how you'd go about changing the channel in the ir files there... Try making sure the box is set to channel one of it's IR channels (think there are 4) and see if the UIRT changes channels then. If not try the other channels too and repeat the process.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:58 AM
Sage User

Dish 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanati
The dish boxes are channel dependent too... But I'm not sure how you'd go about changing the channel in the ir files there... Try making sure the box is set to channel one of it's IR channels (think there are 4) and see if the UIRT changes channels then. If not try the other channels too and repeat the process.
The DISH remote transmits in UHF not IR. The dish receiver has an IR port on the front. I have tried using a different universal remote programed to the Dish format to transmit IR to the receiver, however, when I do this the USB-UIRT light does not come on when I press the button. The universal remote is able to control the dish box, but still I cannot get the IURT box to light up when I use it. I do not understand why they make these things so difficult to use. I guess Dish does not want people to use PVR's. they only want you to use their DVR where you have to pay the stupid tivo fee.

What if I get one of the new Haupauge 250 cards that have an IR blaster on them. Do you think that would work? I would hate to spend the money on the card and then find out I still have the same problem..

It looks like I may need to just get the stupid DVR from Dish.

John
Old 10-04-2005, 08:19 AM
Sage Expert

Well, I'm not entirely sure why the USBUIRT doesn't light up when you are mashing on the universal remote buttons... It does on all of my remotes...

BOTH of my dish boxes and remotes use BOTH IR and UHF... but irregardless they are set up so that the remotes are on zones or channels. And you can change those channels in the dish box's setup. Obviously if the usb-uirt doesn't see your remote then it's not going to send anything to the box... Sounds like you need to contact support for the usbuirt for this one unless someone else here has had that problem.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Sage User

Disc 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanati
Well, I'm not entirely sure why the USBUIRT doesn't light up when you are mashing on the universal remote buttons... It does on all of my remotes...

BOTH of my dish boxes and remotes use BOTH IR and UHF... but irregardless they are set up so that the remotes are on zones or channels. And you can change those channels in the dish box's setup. Obviously if the usb-uirt doesn't see your remote then it's not going to send anything to the box... Sounds like you need to contact support for the usbuirt for this one unless someone else here has had that problem.
Hi. Do you have the DISH 811 Box? Or which box do you specifically have?
My remote says UHF on it.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:39 AM
Sage Expert

http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads...s/dish_811.pdf

I have an 811 and a 5XX (can't remember that model number but it's the SD + PVR model)

Both remotes do BOTH IR and UHF. I dont' think they make a remote that doesn't do both (though I might be wrong on that one).
Old 10-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Sage User

What IR blaster / USB-UIRT do you use for your Dish 811 to communicate with Sage?

Thanks,
John
Old 10-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Sage Expert

the only USB-UIRT that I'm aware of is the one that's advertised on the sage sales page. That is the one I use. I had a blaster from a couple of other components (jvc home theatre system, and a mitsubishi tv prior to the one I have now) and one from my tivo. I think I'm using the one from my tivo to change the channels. But that's irrelevant at this point if your USB-UIRT isn't detecting the remote control presses...

I seem to remember there being an updated version of the UIRT for remotes with 65k or something frequency................ It's possible the universal uses that maybe? You should get yourself a streamzap remote. I use that for sage and the UIRT exclusively for changing channels.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Sage User

I realize I'm jumping in on this thread a bit late, but here's my $0.02. I believe the Dish IR signals are in the 56kHz band, and the normal USB-UIRT does not have a 56k sensor in it. I believe this version is the one sold by SageTV. On the USB-UIRT homepage http://www.usbuirt.com/ you can get the 56k version for I think $10 or $15 more than the other version, and then it should work with a Dish receiver/remote. HTH!
Old 01-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Sage User

DjJohn97, I had similar problems with my Dish Network 322 and 625 box. Here is what I did to solve the problem.

Turned off SageTV running as a process. If it is running as a process I could not get the USB-UIRT to do anything during the learning phase.

I then had to go into the Detailed Setup->Commands-> Remote Control Configuration and select USB-UIRT + any remote.

I also used the lrnhelper.exe from the usb-uirt webpage (I found it on their forums) to record and transmit back a key press to be sure that it worked.

I then edited the .ir file in the SageTV/common folder and added "RepeatCount 10" on the second line without quotes.

Now I can change channels etc.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have DirecTV with one of their boxes, and am trying to get usbuirt to work, but when I get to the setup stage in Sage where it says "point the remote toward the usbuirt and press and hold 0 until told to stop," I can't progress. The remote itself must have a timeout built in, because it holds for a while (red light on usbuirt works fine) but then the remote stops (green light shuts off, so assuming the signal does too)...before Sage has recognized the remote. Any thoughts?
Old 03-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Sage User

Quickly... if I am using DirecTV (about a year old) do I need the additional 56kHz sensor?
Old 03-14-2006, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrown3
I have DirecTV with one of their boxes, and am trying to get usbuirt to work, but when I get to the setup stage in Sage where it says "point the remote toward the usbuirt and press and hold 0 until told to stop," I can't progress. The remote itself must have a timeout built in, because it holds for a while (red light on usbuirt works fine) but then the remote stops (green light shuts off, so assuming the signal does too)...before Sage has recognized the remote. Any thoughts?
I'm having the EXACT same problems... using a Bell ExpressVu Motorola RG2400. Anybody.. any ideas?
Old 04-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

You have to turn off SageTV service, run the USBUIRT setup, then re-enable service again. But now I'm having a weird problem where USBUIRT types in 4 digit channel numbers, even though the setup has it set to 3 digits. Not sure why, troubleshooting now.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:49 PM
Sage Icon

From the UIRT Forums:

Q: "I have a Linux box running MythTV. I'm using the Hauppauge PVR-250 with the grey top/black bottom remote.

I'm in need if an IR blaster to relay the channel-change signals from my Linux box to an ExpressVu 3100 (AKA Dish Network) satellite receiver. I understand that these DishNet receivers involve a 56kHz frequency.

I'm getting conflicting information all over about this ..... do I need the 56kHz option if I am using the USB-UIRT only for emitting my channel-change commands to the ExpressVu/Dish receiver?

I will not be using the USB-UIRT for receiving signal from any remotes. From what I've been reading, the 56kHz option is only for receiving from Dish remotes??"

A: "No you do not. The 56KHz receiver addition is for receive only and is not needed to transmit at 56KHz"

-Jon Rhees

P
Old 04-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Sage User

Send a message via MSN to robgfaulkner
Those of you with new Dish 411 Receivers, may want to try my .ir file...

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17384

-Rob
Old 04-26-2006, 11:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkardatzke
Another thing to note is that the new USB-UIRT drivers will allow you to share the device with other applications so any work you've done using Girder and the USB-UIRT with other apps will still be available.
Was the ability to share broken in v4 of Sage? I just upgraded, and now SageTV's UI locks up if the Girder USB-UIRT plugin is active.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Interesting, you know, mine has been locking up also, I wonder if this is related. My USB-UIRT locks up sage about once a day lately. About since v4 came out. I should try disabling girder to see what happens.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes, don't force quit Sage next time it happens, just open up Girder and uncheck the USB-UIRT plugin and hit ok. For me, it is 100% effective.

SageTV never even manages to show its UI (just a big black screen) if this plugin is active when SageTV starts, and if I start Girder after SageTV has launched, the UI locks on whatever it was currently displaying.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Ok, let's try it a different way... is there anyone who can confirm that sharing the USB-UIRT between the SageTV v4 Windows Service and Girder does *not* lock up their SageTV UI on that machine?

What about the same question for v5?