SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hopefully someone will chime in.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Sage User

Send a message via Yahoo to bbroerman
Support in Sage V5

I am thinking of getting either an IR-200L or a USB-UIRT and am wondering if the USB-UIRT has direct support within Sage Server or if I have to get some other software?

Also would a IR-200L work within Sage with a USB to Serial converter?

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbroerman
I am thinking of getting either an IR-200L or a USB-UIRT and am wondering if the USB-UIRT has direct support within Sage Server or if I have to get some other software?
You don't need any 3rd party software for the USB-UIRT.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsbst
Ok, let's try it a different way... is there anyone who can confirm that sharing the USB-UIRT between the SageTV v4 Windows Service and Girder does *not* lock up their SageTV UI on that machine?

What about the same question for v5?
FYI, I upgraded to 5.0.2 and the problem persists. I've submitted a support request to SageTV.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:13 PM
Sage Icon

I run girder and SageTV at the same time without issue in v4 through 5. The girder usbuirt.dll plugin file I have is exactly 106,496 bytes if that helps
Old 05-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Sage Icon

I use both aswell, but I do not run and UI on my server...
Old 05-28-2006, 07:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Do you guys do both of the following simultaneously?

a) use SageTV's built-in direct USBUIRT support to change channels on a cable box

b) use Girder to send signals to the USBUIRT

... oh, and just for completeness and clarity, I've determined that not only the UI is locked, but the Service seems to be suspended as well until I unload the USBUIRT plugin from Girder.

Last edited by salsbst; 05-28-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:06 AM
Sage Icon

I use Girder to control TheaterTek and I use built in USBUIRT support in Sage to change channels on the box but I don't use Girder to SEND signals to the USBUIRT.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Do you guys do both of the following simultaneously?

a) use SageTV's built-in direct USBUIRT support to change channels on a cable box

b) use Girder to send signals to the USBUIRT
Just curious, but why do this ? Is there an advantage to SageTV and Girder sharing the USB-UIRT rather than just sending SageTV commands via Girder ? Wouldn't two applications, say, TheaterTek and SageTV, that used the same remote key have a conflict ?

Ken C
Old 05-28-2006, 09:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C
Just curious, but why do this ? Is there an advantage to SageTV and Girder sharing the USB-UIRT rather than just sending SageTV commands via Girder ? Wouldn't two applications, say, TheaterTek and SageTV, that used the same remote key have a conflict ?

Ken C
I use Girder because it controls more than just SageTV.

I use SageTV's USBUIRT support because I run SageTV as a service and Girder doesn't run as a service.

As for different applications having conflicts, my setup in girder is sophisticated enough to know about the context and thus what happens when different keys are pressed is determined in part by what is currently going on in the system.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox
I use Girder to control TheaterTek and I use built in USBUIRT support in Sage to change channels on the box but I don't use Girder to SEND signals to the USBUIRT.
So do you have the USBUIRT plugin active/loaded in Girder and don't experience any problems?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:27 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
So do you have the USBUIRT plugin active/loaded in Girder and don't experience any problems?
Yes
Old 05-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
As for different applications having conflicts, my setup in girder is sophisticated enough to know about the context and thus what happens when different keys are pressed is determined in part by what is currently going on in the system.
So, you can control focus using Girder. I always thought Girder was too expensive, maybe another look ...

Thanks, Ken C
Old 05-28-2006, 10:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C
So, you can control focus using Girder. I always thought Girder was too expensive, maybe another look ...

Thanks, Ken C
You can do so much with Girder, it's well worth its price.

On this subject, I would just clarify that not only can you control focus, you can detect focus changes with the TaskSwitch feature, meaning that if you change focus through some other means, Girder can detect which application is in the foreground and your scripts can be activated/deactivated based on that.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox
Yes
Thanks, ToxMox, I think... although I wish you no ill will at all, I guess it's worrying that you're not having the same problem I am .
Old 05-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Thanks, ToxMox, I think... although I wish you no ill will at all, I guess it's worrying that you're not having the same problem I am .

For what it's worth, I've been using Girder alongside SageTV since v2 with the USB-UIRT. Since the "full" USB-UIRT support came in, I've had the USB-UIRT handling channel changes on my Moto DCT2000 digital box thru Sage. I have Girder use the USB-UIRT to accept input from my $5 IR remote, and blast commands out to my TV and my audio reciever. Not that it helps, but I have never had problems with this setup. I have been using Sage in service mode since a release or two before v5.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:15 AM
SageTVaholic

I guess I've got this problem all to myself!

Any of you using Win2k3?
Old 05-31-2006, 04:23 PM
SageTVaholic

FYI, I figured out the problem.

I think when I upgraded to v4 that the SageTV installer must have undone my settings for the service account into which to log in. It had been switched to "local system account". I just discovered this and figured it might be related. Sure enough, after switching the service back to my sagetv user, the problem is gone.

I guess you can't share the USBUIRT if your SageTV service is logged in as local system.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Sorry for not searching

Anybody know if the UIRT will work with a "mono" IR blaster cable? I know the UIRT supports the "stereo" cable for two zones, but I've got a "mono" blaster from another device and was wondering if it would work.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Sorry for not searching

Anybody know if the UIRT will work with a "mono" IR blaster cable? I know the UIRT supports the "stereo" cable for two zones, but I've got a "mono" blaster from another device and was wondering if it would work.
http://65.36.202.170/phpBB2/viewtopi...a116568d2267e0