SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:24 PM
SageTVaholic

I knew somebody would know the answer and post faster than I could find it
Old 07-15-2006, 01:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm sorry if this question has been asked, but I have read so much tonight I think my eye balls are falling out.

I had the IR Blaster that came with my PVR150 working, then for some reason it quit on me. When I hold the plug in tight on the back of the card the Hauppauge 45 button remote works fine, but it kinda defeats the purpose of remote.

Anyways, I bought a USB-UIRT a few weeks ago and intended on getting it working when I got a 2nd STB. Which I don't have at the moment, but will be getting VERY soon.

Now the problem. I downloaded the drivers from the USB-UIRT website and followed the directions to install them. I tried to setup the remote in the setup wizard, but the USB-UIRT is not picking up my remote at all. Any thoughs or settings I might be missing here?

So I downloaded the irnhelper.exe and ran that. If I put my remote within an inch the irnhelper.exe learns from the remote, so I know everything is sorta working.

I'm very confused on alot of the setup here that I'm not even sure what to ask.

In the irnhelper.exe, after I press, say 1 on the remote, it spits out lines full of numbers. What am I supposed to do with those numbers? I've read things like copy and paste them in the .ir file, but where? And in the irnhelper.exe, should I learn 1 on the remote, should I move right on to 2 and so on or should I copy and paste them one at a time?

I'm sorry for the hodge podge of questions, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do next.

I have a SA2200 STB.

Thanks for trying to help me understand what I need to do.

One other thing, is the light on the USB-UIRT supposed to flash periodically without pressing a button on the remote? Just wondering if I'm possibly getting some interference from my wireless keyboard & mouse. Just a thought.

Last edited by pvr599; 07-15-2006 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:04 AM
Sage Expert

I don't use girder I find the USB-UIRT built in support is fine for SageTV. I see no advantage in girder whatsoever unless you need it to control other devices.

I only have a sound system and the TV and they each have their respective remotes. Girder is only useful if you want to use only 1 remote for everything, otherwise its just another gadget that things can go wrong with. Remember the K.I.S.S. law - Keep It Simple Stupid

Just my .02
Old 07-15-2006, 08:11 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvr599
I'm sorry if this question has been asked, but I have read so much tonight I think my eye balls are falling out.

I had the IR Blaster that came with my PVR150 working, then for some reason it quit on me. When I hold the plug in tight on the back of the card the Hauppauge 45 button remote works fine, but it kinda defeats the purpose of remote.

Anyways, I bought a USB-UIRT a few weeks ago and intended on getting it working when I got a 2nd STB. Which I don't have at the moment, but will be getting VERY soon.

Now the problem. I downloaded the drivers from the USB-UIRT website and followed the directions to install them. I tried to setup the remote in the setup wizard, but the USB-UIRT is not picking up my remote at all. Any thoughs or settings I might be missing here?

So I downloaded the irnhelper.exe and ran that. If I put my remote within an inch the irnhelper.exe learns from the remote, so I know everything is sorta working.

I'm very confused on alot of the setup here that I'm not even sure what to ask.

In the irnhelper.exe, after I press, say 1 on the remote, it spits out lines full of numbers. What am I supposed to do with those numbers? I've read things like copy and paste them in the .ir file, but where? And in the irnhelper.exe, should I learn 1 on the remote, should I move right on to 2 and so on or should I copy and paste them one at a time?

I'm sorry for the hodge podge of questions, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do next.

I have a SA2200 STB.

Thanks for trying to help me understand what I need to do.

One other thing, is the light on the USB-UIRT supposed to flash periodically without pressing a button on the remote? Just wondering if I'm possibly getting some interference from my wireless keyboard & mouse. Just a thought.

If lrnhelper is spitting out # then it means your USB-UIART is responsive. In the Sage wizard, the wizard should allow you to select and assign buttons and it will from that assignment generate an IR File.

Using Lrnhelper, can you do a little experiment? Can you copy and paste each of those IR codes into a notepad txt file with their corresponding button codes? Post the results back here as follows:
Button 1 =########
Button 2= ########
etc.

From that information, we'll constuct the .IR file manually and put it into your remotes directory within Sage. Then, we'll remove video sources and re-add the video source making sure to select your custom IR file.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

SA2200 & USB-UIRT

Roxy,
Thanks for the quick reply. I think some sleep did me a world of good. It's starting to make a tiny bit of sense. Here is what I did this morning:

Added a New Video Source
continued on to:
Added a New Device
Typed in the name of my SA2200
Then tried to learn the codes from my STB remote.

This wasn't working. Sage was not seeing the remote. I remember someone saying something about probems with Servicemode. So disabled it and repeated the steps above. It worked. Sage was now seeing the remote as I was within one inch of the USB-UIRT.
After this I went back to Setup Tuners and selected the tuner I've been working on. Then I selected Tuner Control at the bottom and selected Learn New Command. I added the commands for Enter, Exit & Guide from the STB remote. I only did this because the example .ir files I found had these commands also. I have attached the .ir file I have created.

I finished this setup and went back to Detailed Setup/Commands. I started working on the SageTV commands by selecting Link Infrared/Keystroke to SageTV Command and added in a few common commands from the Hauppauge remote.
I did make a mistake here though and am not sure how to fix it. Somehow I unlinked the Enter key on my keyboard and now it will not function in Sage. Any idea on how to get the enter key back and working?

What would be my next step from here? Am I on the right track?

Thanks a ton for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt SA2200.txt (3.4 KB, 279 views)
Old 07-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Sage Expert

pvr599,
Is the USB-UIRART now able to control your STB with that IR file selected in the video source setup?

There are 2 things to be carefule not to confuse:
1) The Video Source setup for STB control from USB-UIART (UIART Sends commands to STB using the IR file you just created.

2) The controling of Sage from the USB-UIART.

Are you stuck on #1 or #2?
Old 07-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yes, it is changing the channels on the STB and moving through the Sage menu's ok. Pretty slow, but ok.

Is there a recommended placement of the receiver? Right now it seems that if I hold the receiver facing the STB and point the remote at the front of the receiver at the same time I can get the channels to change. Again, defeating the purpose of the remote.

Does my .ir file look correct? Am I missing anything?

I'm not sure if you missed the one question about the Enter on the keyboard or you're just going one step at a time. Just curious if there is a way to fix it.

One last question. I will be using this for multiple STB boxes of the same manufacturer. Will I need anymore hardware to accomplish this? I read something about zones, but haven't looked into that a ton yet.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Sage Expert

You need to unassign the command for the enter button and then re-assign. Probably you assigned the enter button to another command. In the same setup screen where customize Sage for IR commands, there is an unassign button. Try to re-assign.

Experimentation is the rule for getting the proper placement. You want to have the USB UIRT be able to face you when sitting down but also face the STB to be able to send commands to the STB. Try different angles.

Your IR file is fine if it works. Change channels and see.

For additional STBs you alse need additional input sources. Do you have that?
See if your STBs support assignemnt of different remote IDs before you use Zones.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've tried to re-assign the enter button, but all I end up with is a - (dash) under it when I see what button is assigned to it. Not sure what to do about this.

I have this feeling I'm going to have a tough time trying to put this in the correct spot.

As for the second input, I haven't gotten my 2nd STB yet. I wanted this up and running fairly good before I start spending the extra money on it. I will be getting it next week though. I have a PVR through my cable provider which is terrible and is going back, that is why I decided to build my own. I do know that both boxes came with a remote that in interchangable. Is that what you meant by
Quote:
STBs support assignemnt of different remote IDs
. If not, I'm not sure what you meant by that.

I am having another minor problem. It seems that everytime I press a button on the remote for it do something I have to press it twice. Like if I press forward skip, in order for it to actually skip I have to press the button twice.
Ideas on this?

Thanks again for all your help. I don't think I would have figured this stuff out withoutcha.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I've tried to re-assign the enter button, but all I end up with is a - (dash) under it when I see what button is assigned to it. Not sure what to do about this.
I solved this. I didn't realize ENTER was under SELECT. I wasn't looking for select. Kinda dumb of me.

But the latest problem remains. Having to press the remote button twice to have it do what I want it to do.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It seems that everytime I press a button on the remote for it do something I have to press it twice. Like if I press forward skip, in order for it to actually skip I have to press the button twice.
You're using the Hauppauge remote? It uses a toggle code that alternates between 2 different codes when you press the same button repeatedly. Just teach the same button twice in a row w/o pressing any other remote button in between.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for all the answers.

Quote:
Experimentation is the rule for getting the proper placement. You want to have the USB UIRT be able to face you when sitting down but also face the STB to be able to send commands to the STB. Try different angles.
Honestly, how is this possible without turning the STB's all the way around? This is baffling. Has anyone ever tried something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...=12-10075825-2
Just curious.

Quote:
You're using the Hauppauge remote? It uses a toggle code that alternates between 2 different codes when you press the same button repeatedly. Just teach the same button twice in a row w/o pressing any other remote button in between.
Yes, I was using the Hauppauge remote, but I have a learnign remote that I have programmed and it's working good except for it being VERY touchy.
Although, I read this before about teaching the same button twice in a row and never really understood it. Do you mean programming while in Detailed Setup/Commands/Link Infrared/Keystroke to SageTV?

EDIT: AH HA..I had an IR Blaster I was using with an RF Transmitter, I just thought I'd give it a try and IT WORKED. If the plug from the link above will if in the back of the UIRT, I think that might solve alot of problems.

Last edited by pvr599; 07-17-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks for all the answers.

Honestly, how is this possible without turning the STB's all the way around? This is baffling. Has anyone ever tried something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...=12-10075825-2
Just curious.

Yes, I was using the Hauppauge remote, but I have a learnign remote that I have programmed and it's working good except for it being VERY touchy.
Although, I read this before about teaching the same button twice in a row and never really understood it. Do you mean programming while in Detailed Setup/Commands/Link Infrared/Keystroke to SageTV?
I think most of us use IR emitter cables that plug into the back of the USB-UIRT. We stick the emitter end of the cable(s) to the box we're trying to control. Once that is done, it doesn't matter which way your cable box/USB-UIRT are facing. You just want to make sure that the USB-UIRT is facing the audience, and then you're all set.

The USB-UIRT forum is probably a better place to learn about the device: http://65.36.202.170/phpBB2/
Old 07-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks salsbt,
I didn't know this was a standard thing. I will check out the other forum, but I do have one last question.
Having 2 STB's, do I need 2 emitters? Or could I get one to control both? I'm not really sure yet on how to set this up, but I'm learning.

I also read a little on the other forum and someone left this comment:
Quote:
To make this work in Sage, what is done is you must create TWO .IR profiles. This is most easily done by copying the IR file you already are using and rename it (and also change the name located inside the file). Edits must also be made to this (and the original file) to put in zone specifiers on each IR code. At this point, when you set up your second STB in sage, you will specify the newly-created IR file as the name of the IR setup for the second STB.
What would be a "zone specifier"?
Old 07-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
What would be a "zone specifier"?
For multi-zone info, see the USB-UIRT links in this sticky from this forum: Information Resources for Remotes, Receivers, and IR Blasters.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Perfect. Thank you Andy!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Sage Expert

Did I buy the right thing?

I've got a usbuirt and want to control a mororola dct2124 time warner cable box.

I ONLY use sagetv clients. My server is in another room.
Can sagetv change the channel by itself over usb without receiving any ir commands?

This thread is a bit long to read through completely.

Help!
Old 08-06-2006, 11:23 AM
SageTVaholic

You change channels with the infrared and the USB-UIRT has to be connected to the Sage server and be able to blast the moto box with infrared. And take another shot at reading the Sage manual-it's in there too.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Sage Expert

I'll be reading the manual tomorrow.

Any tips on which chapters to start wth.

"You change channels with the infrared"

My sage server is in a closet, along with the cable box. The sagetv MVP is on top of the TV. Do I need anything else?
Old 08-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Sage Expert

Got it working!

SageTV is the best. My wife and son are both happy now. I tried to set it up once on the server, but never saw the option for the usbuirt. either I missed it or it wasn't there the first time. after that, I tried to to it on a client (and the option wasn't there).

Went back to the server. Option was there, selected and everything's working great.

I'll eventually work on getting serial control, but for now this is good. Recordings on DIY & Boomerang setup.

Thanks (and thanks for putting up with the same questions over and over)