SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Glad to hear you got it working.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:02 AM
Sage User

880 and inter-key delay

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
I'm using the USB-UIRT with SageTV and a Harmony 880 remote. There is a setting in the Harmony web setup, called Inter-Key Delay. Jon said that the USB-UIRT could basically handle codes that are separated by about 30ms, so I'm wondering if there is any additional delay that Sage imposes on receiving codes?

Should this value be set to 0 or something else? It has to be in 100ms increments. I've played around with it, but haven't really found the sweet spot.

Clicking the up or down arrows really fast, does not move the selector as fast as I am pushing the buttons. If I hold the button down, it's much faster.

The particular remote I'm using sends alternating codes for each key press of the same key. (e.g., Play sends 79, then 83, then 79, then 83.) I have both codes learned into the Sage link commands function (two codes for each function).
I recently purchased the 880, and I have the slow response issue as well. My keys do not alternate though, it continues to send the same code. When I used the hauppage remote, it sent alternate codes and seemed to work much better once I programmed both codes. With the harmony, it is just slow to respond, so we continue to overshoot buttons. Did you find a good setting for the inter-key delay?
Old 12-10-2006, 05:31 AM
Sage Icon

In sageclient.prperties, there are two IR settings: infraredreceive_repeatdelay, and infraredreceive_repeatperiod (or something like that). Try 300 & 100 for those settings. Make sure Sage is shut down before changing and saving.

P
Old 12-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro
In sageclient.prperties, there are two IR settings: infraredreceive_repeatdelay, and infraredreceive_repeatperiod (or something like that). Try 300 & 100 for those settings. Make sure Sage is shut down before changing and saving.

P
Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried 300/100, 100/100, 0/0 but they do not seem to change the response (I'm shutting down sage and service between each attempt). What do these two values control? Before I changed them, they were at 250/150.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Sage Icon

When I was using a UIRT, they changed the speed of the "cursor" in Sage. Just tried to give you something else to try.

P
Old 01-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Harmony SageTV Codes

Would like to use my usb-uirt with our Harmony remote.

But the Logitech site doesn't list SageTv6 so I can download the codes.

Would I be best to choose something like Hauppauge remote and then teach the commands from my Harmony to Sage or is there a better remote with far more of the codes inplace to choose from the Harmony list to use with SageTV.

Currently my Harmony has the codes in it from Firefly mini (moving from BTV)and I have used that to do a few of the commands but I am about to do a new install.

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:01 PM
SageTVaholic

You could choose a PVR150 from the Logitech site, the Hauppauge MVP or even an MCE remote. The MCE would need to be taught to Sage. You could also keep your Firefly codes and just teach those too.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks gplasky

I did what you suggested. kept the FireFly mini codes in my harmony, then taught those codes to SageTv.

Its a shame that SageTV has not given the codes to Harmony so we could choose how we want to set up remote. I use it for TV but I am sure others would want the DVD features etc.. There are so many codes and I had to just load some unused codes from a remote into my Harmony so I could use the sage functions..
Old 01-09-2007, 03:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch
Its a shame that SageTV has not given the codes to Harmony so we could choose how we want to set up remote.
I agree that it's, shall we say, sub optimal that there's not an "official" Harmony config for SageTV.

Unfortunately it's not that easy. Why? Because SageTV doesn't have any codes, hence the fundamental problem. There's the Hauppauge codes, but those are somewhat button limited. And as far as the USB-UIRT goes, it supports anything.

I really wish there was a way to just type codes into the Harmony (maybe there is, my memory is sketchy from when I tried the Harmony), and set one for every event in Sage. I think that would be ideal.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:45 PM
SageTVaholic

I just finished setting up my new harmony remote (my wife got me an 890 for Christmas!) for SageTV with a usb-uirt over the weekend. I chose a Toshiba DVD Recorder (Model # RD-XS37) and then renamed all of the buttons to what I wanted for SageTV. I had to move a couple of commands around to fill in some of the hard keys, but it was maybe a half dozen at most. Then I just learned the commands in sage. It works like a champ. I chose that component model because it has plenty of buttons available for all of the sage commands and it also has both channel change and transport keys predefined. I just wish the harmony setup software wasn't so painful to use. I HATE SETUP WIZARDS!!! (Ok, I feel better now.)

Hope this helps.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 01-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

MeInMaui
That does help. I will look at that option. I have only had Sage in a week and one of the things I noticed when I first came to site is that on the Home page they have a harmony remote.... so I thought cool I have one of those it must be part and setup. I also saw the post 'USB-uirt fully supported' or similar heading and again thought cool. But its not quite that easy. Surely they could give Harmony a buch of 'codes' to cover all there functions and then we can learn them to SageTV...... I see one for BTV/snapstream.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch
MeInMaui
That does help. I will look at that option. I have only had Sage in a week and one of the things I noticed when I first came to site is that on the Home page they have a harmony remote.... so I thought cool I have one of those it must be part and setup. I also saw the post 'USB-uirt fully supported' or similar heading and again thought cool. But its not quite that easy. Surely they could give Harmony a buch of 'codes' to cover all there functions and then we can learn them to SageTV...... I see one for BTV/snapstream.
I think there are predefined configurations for a couple remotes (Hauppauge, streamzap, and maybe the MCE remote). However, when you add the USB-UIRT to the equation, you now have infinite possibilities. For those who want to keep it simple, it would be nice to be able to set up one of the above predefined remotes with the usb-uirt without having to go through the whole learning process (maybe you can, but I haven't seen it documented). But none of those remotes have enough buttons for all of the commands in sage, so if you want more buttons you are left with the same situation we have now. At least the way things are, we have all the flexibility we could ever want. It just comes at the price of complexity.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 05-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhees View Post
Here's the .IR file for a Dish receiver (works for many models):

-Jon

Your files are a godsend. Before I found your post I spent 4 hours trying to get my dish ird working with UIRT............ (new dishnet customer).

I wonder why dishnetwork irds are so hard to get going with USB-UIRT an sage?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox View Post
I installed the new driver and I can't seem to get both girder and SageTV to share the USB-UIRT. I can only use one at a time. When I try to run girder when SageTV is sleeping I now get this error from Girder:
"Unable to connect to USB-UIRT device! Please ensure device is connected to the computer."
If I exit SageTV then girder works fine but I need both working at the same time. If I open girder first then it works and SageTV won't respond to any of the commands I programmed in.
Any help here would be great.
i am having this issue that you had with usb-uirt also. what was the solution
Old 10-06-2007, 09:03 AM
Sage User

I am just about to get this USB-UIRT thing going. Some give me a sanity check.

I am running SageTV ver 5.0.2. I have already installed the drivers from the USB-UIRT website and plugged in the device and the little red light blinks occasionally, that's it. Now to get this thing working see if my order of stuff to do is right:

1. Make sure sage is not running as a service (disable it)
1a. Download and install the IR file at the first post of this thread??

2. Go into Setup, Setup Video Sources then setup my "new" video source which will be the second tuner composite source. (PVR-500)

3. From there will I be given options to tell it I want to control a STB and use Cox Communications - Digital Television (I think that's what I said) then be told to teach the USB-UIRT what to do?

Let me be clear, I am ONLY using the USB-UIRT to control the STB and nothing else.

I appreciate anything you guys can give me.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Sage Icon

SafetyBob,

Here is an IRHelper utility that can help you setup the USB-UIRT. IRHelper is a simple, stand alone program that will tell you the codes you are receiving from the remote controls. I also included working example IR files for a Dish Network JVC-301 receiver and a Motorola DCT-2000 cable box.

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: zip irhelper.zip (19.2 KB, 508 views)
Old 11-19-2007, 05:18 PM

USBUIRT Linux Support?

Hi, the windows support is great, but is it possible to get USBUIRT working in Linux?

Any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 12-21-2007, 08:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am a new sage user and wanted to post my usb-uirt success story. I have a PVR-500 connected to 2 Cox SA2100/3100 boxes. I had a splitter cable laying around, 3.5mm on one side, L&R rca on the other. I then took another old rca cable and cut one end off and used radioshack IR leds. I took my set top oxes apart and actuall positioned my led right in front of the IR receiver then snaked the wire out the bottom front of the box through a small opening. So, outside each box I have a single RCA coming out. Changes channels great independently and you don't see any wires and there is no tape on the front of my STB.

Now I just need to get a couple of sets of S-Video cables for the stbs and another for my HD extender. (don't have HD TV yet)
Old 01-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Sage User

When I transmit the codes using lrnhelper utility, it works, but sage does not send the code. It happens to certain codes. Please help.