SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-30-2003, 12:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Jon,

Yes, I have successfully learned codes with Girder and other remotes. I have not tried to learn codes with Girder using the 301 remote. I will try that later tonight.

When I press keys on other remote while pointed at the USB-UIRT the red light flashes but now so with the 301 remote. Not in learning mode but this is interesting.

Have to run now.

Matt
Old 10-30-2003, 03:32 PM
Sage User

usb-uirt support not working for me

justme thanks again. no matter what i try, sage is still not successfully transmitting through usb-uirt to my cable box.

i have tried to using the setup wizard 10 times, but the number tests always fail. reprogramming seems to work, i get the "press and aim" screen, then the "stop pressing" screen, but the tests still fail.

i know that the remote works, i know that the cable box works, i know that the cable box isn't getting the usb-uirt commands because 1) the channel doesn;'t change and 2) there's an led that flashes when the cable box receives an ir signal. it flashes with the remote, it doesn't flash with sage/usb-uirt.

my cable box is a General Instruments DCT-2244.

i was able to train sage to understand the remote in the keyboard command section. i cleaned all of those out, just to make sure there was no conflict. before this, i was using sage for 3 months with the pvr-250 renmote without any issues.

any ideas, anyone?
Old 10-30-2003, 03:45 PM

Mine's a Motorola DCT2224 you could try my attached ir file just unzip and put it under the "RemoteCodes" folder of the SageTV dir. Then go thru the setup and choose "DigitalBox" as your device. Don't try to program it just see if my codes will work. It's worth a shot.

PS:To eliminate any interference from any remotes try changing the digital channel in Sage using keyboard control. After/if you get Sage to control your digital box fine then use another remote to control Sage. As you yourself pointed out using the same remote IR codes for controlling Sage and for Sage to control your digital box will only cause confusion. If your PVR250 remote worked fine for controlling Sage why not continue to use it.

PPS:Sorry to ask, but you did make sure you updated all the files as stated at the top of this thread.
Attached Files
File Type: zip digitalbox.zip (373 Bytes, 631 views)

Last edited by justme; 10-30-2003 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:09 PM
Sage User

justme -- that did the trick. you rock!
Old 10-30-2003, 04:12 PM

Yeah
Glad to hear it. I was beginning to get discouraged.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:35 PM
Sage User

Question speed of usb-uirt transmission?

thanks to justme , sage and usb-uirt are now playing nice with my cable box.

but there's always a but... the channel changing process is really slow--is that just a fact of life for now? i turned down the 2 delay settings in the advanced setup.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:13 PM

Yeah it's a fact of life. To relialably transmit the IR codes Sage must send them slowly. You can try and speed up the delay, but this may result in incorrect channel changes. I think right now you have to actually adjust the .ir file itself. I'm not sure that the settings inside of Sage support setting timings for the USB-UIRT yet. Either you will only be able to make Sage change channels so fast without errors occurring.

This is why I use two channel lineup sources for my one PVR250. My cable company has a digital and an analog lineup choice when you setup Sage. So I use my PVR250's Coax input to tune the analog channels and the PVR's composite input for my digital channel lineup. This way you get fast channel changes for analog channels and can still access the digital channels though, at a reduced speed. Just make sure that you don't have any channels # overlapping between your digital and analog channel source lineups and Sage will automatically choose the right source. Of course this means you also need to have both a coax and a RCA cable running to the PVR250, but it's worth it. IMO
Old 10-31-2003, 02:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

Jon - I am not able to learn the Dish 301 IR codes with Girder and USB-UIRT. The USB-UIRT simply does not respond to the 301 remote.

I did make an attempt to build a .IR file. I found a CCF file with the Dish 301 codes in it. I copied them over to the .IR file. Sage only respond to half of the digit codes though. I can't find another CCF to try other codes.

No luck so far.

Mat
Old 10-31-2003, 08:38 AM
Sage User

mediahome,

Could you email me at uirtsupport@earthlink.net and we can figure out what is going on here?

Thanks!

-Jon
Old 11-02-2003, 03:25 PM
Sage Icon

I installed the new driver and I can't seem to get both girder and SageTV to share the USB-UIRT. I can only use one at a time. When I try to run girder when SageTV is sleeping I now get this error from Girder:
"Unable to connect to USB-UIRT device! Please ensure device is connected to the computer."
If I exit SageTV then girder works fine but I need both working at the same time. If I open girder first then it works and SageTV won't respond to any of the commands I programmed in.
Any help here would be great.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:39 PM
Sage User

ToxMox,

I have emailed you in response to this...

-Jon
Old 11-06-2003, 02:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am currently using the directv dataport with my pvr 250 remote. I would really like to start using my RCA universal remote that came with my rca box. From the look of it I only have a choice of one. using the serial port or a inferad device. How would I set it up that I could use the usbuirt with the serial connection to my directv box.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:29 PM

Is it possible to run the SageTV client on a laptop and have the laptop's built-in IR hardware receive commands from the appropriate remote?

Sorry, but I'm new to Sage.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

Life is good!

Just to let everyone know. With Jon's help I have Sage and Girder using the USB_UIRT simultaneously. I managed to put together an .IR file for the Dish 301 (again, thanks to Jon) even though I never could get the Grider or Sage to recognize the 301 remote IR. And now I have an external IR emitter stuck to the front of the SAT receiver and plugged into the back of the USB-UIRT. No more losing recordings because the Actisys fell of the shelf.

I'm happy now! I think that others will be happy too when Jeff gets the full support for this packaged into Sage 2.0.

If you have an Actisys, unplug that serial dinosaur and buy a USB-UIRT from Jon. If you are looking for an IR receiver/tranmitter for use with Sage and Girder now the choice is obvious.

Matt
Old 11-07-2003, 02:09 AM

Another convert to the USB side. Resistence is futile.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by jrhees
ToxMox,

I have emailed you in response to this...

-Jon
So is there resoultion to this? I would also like to use Girder and Sage at the same time.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:52 PM
Sage User

FYI - the latest Girder plugin at the USB-UIRT website does not allow sharing. The 'sharing' Girder plugin is being given out via email request at support@usbuirt.com for the time being...

-Jon

Last edited by jrhees; 11-21-2003 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via Yahoo to sixdoubleo
HELP!

I'm having trouble getting Sage to learn my remote for changing channels. The screen which determines the bitrate and frequency doesn't seem to do anything....I've held the remote button for 5 minutes...(Oddly enouygh, it's HARD to hold a remote button for that long )

Specifics:

HW: Athlon XP1800/XP Pro SP1/SageTV 1.4.10/Radeon 7200/PVR-250

I have installed the above dll. I checked my api version and it is the latest from USB-UIRT: 2.6.6. I have the 56k version of the USB-UIRT, flashed to the latest flash code. My USB-UIRT flashes when you point a remote at it and press a button. I have also been able to learn commands from Grider, so I know the USB-UIRT will at least receieve command from a remote and recognize them. I do NOT have Girder installed at the moment.

I go through the Sage Setup Wizard, select my PVR-250, choose modify, tell it I have a USB-UIRT, COM1....then it asks me to select a cable box. None of the included ones work. I have an old Scientific Atlanta analog cable box. So I select "Add a Device." I call it "Test1".

As soon as I hit ENTER, it instantly skips PAST the instructions telling me to hold down any button 0-9 and onto the following screen which says to release the button. (almost as if my remote had a stuck button or something) I find that if I press "Left-Arrow" it will back up to the previous screen instructing me to hold a 0-9 button for a couple minutes.

I hold the "0" button for about 5 minutes before giving up. While I hold the button (I have tried from 1" - 12" away) the USB-UIRT light flickers continuously.

I have tried 3 or 4 different remotes and none of them seem to work. Seems to be a problem with the UIRT unit or Sage isnt recognizing it.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-08-2003, 11:17 AM

Weird, mine works fine. Although your setup description sounded exactly like mine, except for one point. I too get the wizard jumping past the individual button ques almost as if a remote button was being held bown, but instead of pressing the left arrow I just hit enter. This allowed me to then setup and test all my buttons. I don't know if this small difference would effect how the wizard works, but have you tried that?

Only thing I can think of, right now.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via Yahoo to sixdoubleo
Quote:
Originally posted by justme
I too get the wizard jumping past the individual button ques almost as if a remote button was being held bown, but instead of pressing the left arrow I just hit enter. This allowed me to then setup and test all my buttons. I don't know if this small difference would effect how the wizard works, but have you tried that?
Interesting.....I think I DID try hitting ENTER at that step and it didn't go any further...which is why I resorted to pressing the left-arrow. My understanding is that the purpose of that step (holding a numeric button) was to sort of calibrate the SageTV/USB-UIRT connection so it talks the same talk as your remote. (can you tell I'm an IR-expert?)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I'm at work so I can't test that part to see what happens.