SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-31-2003, 01:01 AM
Sage User

Hi

Just got my PVR-350/UIRT bundle yesterday...

I've got the USB UIRT set up in Sage, and I've successfully tested channels 0-9 during setup but I still can't get the UIRT to change to a double (or triple) digit channel. I know I can receive the channels, but I just can't get the UIRT to command my set top box properly...

For e.g., when I want to go to channel 15, the UIRT would command my set top box to go to channel 1, then go to channel 5. I've tried to change the inter-button delay settings (under Sage's IR hardware setup) to as little as 5ms, but no success. It's as if the UIRT was sending a signal for channel 1 <Enter>, followed by channel 5 <Enter>...

I'm using the Hauppauge remote to control Sage (works like a charm). My set top box is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100. Pls help.....

Cheng
Old 12-31-2003, 01:14 AM

I believe there is a bug in 1.4.10 that prevent changes made from within Sage being saved to the file. You can manually edit the timing though. The file will be named whatever you chose to call it when you setup your USB-UIRT in Sage. It will be located in a subdir of "Frey Technologies" folder under "common" and the under "RemoteCodes".
Old 12-31-2003, 01:33 AM
Sage User

How do I edit the timing in the .ir file? Do I just insert a "RepeatCount XX" under the device name? I've tried changing the XX from 5 to 25 but doesn't seem to make any difference....
Old 12-31-2003, 01:43 AM
Sage User

Looking at the banner that pops up on my TV whenever I change channels, I notice that the UIRT first commands the set top box to go to channel "00" , then (in the above example) the channel changes to 1, followed by 5. Is the "00" normal?
Old 12-31-2003, 07:18 AM
Sage User

The 'RepeatCount' setting isn't the one you want to edit for the problem you're seeing. It sounds as if Sage is sending each button too far apart / too slowly. There are some numbers on the first line of the .ir file which need to be edited.

What you may want to do is watch the LED on the USB-UIRT when Sage tries to change channels and get an idea of how long and far apart each number is being sent.

-Jon
Old 12-31-2003, 02:14 PM
Sage User

Ok, this is what happens on the UIRT when I press '15' on my Hauppauge remote...

When I press '1', the UIRT LED lights up once (immediately, no delay). Nothing happens on the cable box. Same happens when I press '5'. Sage will not register the channel change unless I hit 'Enter'. So I then press 'Enter' on the remote to confirm the channel change (UIRT lights up again). After a 1-2 sec pause, I see the UIRT blink *four* times (not twice??), each <1 sec apart. The four blinks seem to correspond to '00', '1' and '5'. The channel does not actually change to '00' (I guess cos there's no channel 00), but it changes to '1', then to '5'.

Using my cable remote to change channels, I timed that the cable box would wait about 1.5sec for me to press the 2nd number or 3rd number. So the sub-1 sec delay above shouldn't have been a problem (??).

I'm keen to try reducing the inter-number delay on the .ir file. What should I edit?
Old 12-31-2003, 02:52 PM
Sage User

Ok, the first line in the .ir file looks familiar....

I changed it from SFA2100 0 0 4 600 800 to SFA2100 0 0 4 0 1000. With a zero sec inter-number delay, it still doesn't work. The cable box now registers '1' and '5' with no delay, but the cable box just doesn't pick up '1' and '5' to form '15'. It just flashes '1' then '5' and lands in channel 5. (The only consolation is that it doesn't go to channel 1 first, then to channel 5... it goes straight to channel 5 now)...
Old 12-31-2003, 03:05 PM

Did you select one of the preset files or tell Sage to make a new one with a name you gave it? The reason I ask is that "that line" looks weird to me. My first line looks like this:
DigitalBox 0 0 3 500 800

I'm no expert on sage IR files but I believe that the third #tells SageTV how many digits are needed. The fourth is the interbutton delay, I adjusted mine down to 500. And I don't know what the last # means. I'm guessing your problem has to do with the 3rd # being a 4 instead of a 3. Does your box even use 4 digit channels?

My file was built from scratch since the start of the thread said to do so. That's why it's called "DigitalBox", that's what I choose.

PS:Sorrry for dissappearing last night. I was very tired and I'm trying to get my new M150 working with help from SHS. This requires muliple restarts and system changes, at least in my case.

Last edited by justme; 12-31-2003 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:06 PM
Sage User

I have an idea of what might be the problem!

Try this with your cable remote: Key in '0', '0', '5'

I bet with this combination, your cable box will immediately tune to channel 5 *without* waiting the 1.5 to 2 seconds. Does it?

If so, the problem is the preceding zeroes that Sage is sending out. I believe the number of 'padded' zeroes can be changed...

-Jon
Old 12-31-2003, 03:16 PM
Sage User

I got Sage to create a new device called SFA2001. I kinda figured that the last 2 numbers are the inter-number and inter-sequence delay settings (in milliseconds) respectively. I've even tried using your Digitalbox .ir file to see if it works for me, but nada...

I'm beginning to fear that the UIRT can't control my cable box...

Hope you've got more luck with your M150 setup.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:23 PM
Sage User

Jon, you're absolutely right! But how do I get rid of the preceding zeros?? Do we need to edit the uu_irsage.dll file? Maybe we need Dan here...

My hopes are up again!
Old 12-31-2003, 03:40 PM
Sage User

I believe the '4' in the first line of the file means 'pad to 4 digits'. I bet your receiver will handle 3 digits ok, so try changing it to a 3...

-Jon
Old 12-31-2003, 04:27 PM
Sage User

Jon, you're the man!! It's working beautifully now!
Old 12-31-2003, 04:30 PM

Oh sure give him the credit. When I suggested that 4 posts back. Seriously glad you got it working. The reason it wouldn't work with my IR file is that your box uses different infrared codes. I wonder how that 4 got into your file in the first place. It's weird.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:46 PM
Sage User

Right, thanks to you too.

I think the 4 was cos I had set up channel 1000 in Sage (for paid movie on demand). But I really don't need to access that channel from Sage...

I'm really excited about my Sage setup. Can't wait to try the 2.0, esp the OSD support for my 350! I'll submit a request for the 2.0 beta and hope Jeff/Dan would give me a chance.....
Old 01-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Sage Expert

Hughes directv rite here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip hughes.zip (430 Bytes, 333 views)
Old 01-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Sage User

OK, mediahome claims to have the USB UIRT working with a dish 301, but I don't see any reference to what he did to make that work. Anyone?
Old 01-06-2004, 09:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

SHS - I built a simple circuit that takes one IR input from the USB-UIRT and then gives you 6 12V IR outputs. (the circuit includes on LED indicator) Most emitters are 12V.
Very very super simple to build.

Take a look at this drawing, I can answer any questions you may have.

Parts:
1- 276-159 (Radio Shack p/n)
1 - ULN2003A
1 - LED (I used red)
1 - 1K resistor (voltage drop resistor for LED)
7 - 1/8" mono jacks

You don't have to have the LED...an output can be added if you drop the LED.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp irsplitter.bmp (228.8 KB, 431 views)
Old 01-06-2004, 09:49 AM
Sage User

DynamoBen,

Nice idea! a CAUTION to those who use this circuit -- DON'T use the circuit to feed other 3rd-party IR blocks -- since this circuit uses +V as the LED common rather than have ground-based LED outputs.

-Jon
Old 01-06-2004, 09:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hi Guys,

Ok so I've installed everything and used justme's DigitalBox.ir on my DCT2224. When using the Hauppauge Remote it seems to work fine, no problems. But the WAF is way down since the introduction of this remote, so I want to get the USBUIRT to learn the remote we used to use for the cable box. How do I go about this? Do I just use the detailed setup and learn the remote there?

thanks in advance!

davey