SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-25-2004, 06:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Jon,

I tried the dll and SageTV would not start up. If I disabled the UIRT plugin in Girder and then started Sage, everything is OK.

Then, with Sage running, I enabled the USB-UIRT (toggle input devices) in Girder, and Girder crashed.

-Bryan

PS - I have WinXP Pro SP1
Old 01-26-2004, 08:17 AM
Sage User

OK,

Lets give it another shot

Here's another API driver for you to try -- same instructions as before...

Let me know!

-Jon
Attached Files
File Type: zip beta2.zip (44.1 KB, 358 views)
Old 01-26-2004, 03:54 PM
Sage User

I just got my USB-UIRT today and I can't seem to get sage to recognize my remote when going through the teaching setup. I am using a store bought cable box (allegro) not sure if this matters. Some help would be appreciated.

Last edited by rUfUnKy; 01-26-2004 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:34 PM
Sage User

rUfUnky,

Some questions:

1. When Sage tells you to press and hold a button for learning, do you see the LED on the USB-UIRT flash red (when you press the remote's button).

2. When pressing the remote button, are you holding it?

3. Are you aiming the remote directly at the USB-UIRT (about 4 inches away) when pressing and holding the button?

4. Are you pressing/holding the button soon (within a few seconds) after Sage asks you to?

Do you know any more info on the cable box (I could not find allegro in the remote control database).

-Jon
Old 01-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Jon,

WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You fixed it!!!!

There is no delay in any of the Girder controlled apps now, and the light reacts right when I press a controller button.

Thank you for everything!!!!

-Bryan
Old 01-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by jrhees
rUfUnky,

Some questions:

1. When Sage tells you to press and hold a button for learning, do you see the LED on the USB-UIRT flash red (when you press the remote's button).

2. When pressing the remote button, are you holding it?

3. Are you aiming the remote directly at the USB-UIRT (about 4 inches away) when pressing and holding the button?

4. Are you pressing/holding the button soon (within a few seconds) after Sage asks you to?

Do you know any more info on the cable box (I could not find allegro in the remote control database).

-Jon
1. No, there is no led flashing when I do this.

2. Yes, I hve tried it numerous times at diferent didtances with no results.

4. Yes

5. What kind of info do you need. I will see what I can come up with .

and THX
Old 01-26-2004, 06:46 PM
Sage User

rUfUnky,

Could you please email support@usbuirt.com and I can send you a test app which we can use to narrow down this learning issue...

Thanks,

Jon
Old 01-26-2004, 06:54 PM
Sage User

OK Jon, I sent all the info from this thread regarding the issue. Not sure if thats what you wanted.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:08 PM
Sage User

Jon, I got a error message when trying to launch that app you sent. I sent you a shot of the error message. :|
Old 02-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Unhappy Sage isn't sending any transmissions to UIRT

I have tried SageTV v 1.410 and the beta 2.011 and neither are able to send transmissions of any codes to the USB-UIRT. The learn process seems to go OK but none of the tests work--no red light, no IR. This is also true using one of the pre-packaged code sets such as the Scientific Atlanta 4200.

I know the UIRT is capable of transmitting because it works fine in Girder.

Help!
Thanks.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:50 PM

Sorry to ask the obvious but: Did you download and install all the neccessary drivers/files that were linked to at the beginning of this thread? Also is your USB-UIRT flashed to the current version?

EDIT:Also make sure you verify that all this works using 1.4.10 since many user have had issues with IR programming with the current Sage2 beta. I found it's best to teach Sage all relevant IR codes for recieve and transmit and then upgrade to test out the beta if you want.

Last edited by justme; 02-04-2004 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, I am using IRSAGE 1001, 2.6.5 of the API driver and 2.6.6 of the girder plugin.

I have tried both Sage 2 and 1.4.10.

With sage 1.4.10, I can't get past the screen where it asks me to hit any number key on my remote so it can learn the carrier frequency and bitrate of my remote. It's like it doesn't pick up any signal, so I never get the message to release the button and continue--it gets stuck on the test screen--not frozen or crashed or locked up, just stuck.

Sage sort of tries to skip over that step in the first instance--I had to hit the left arrow to go back to it. So I tried skipping it and going right to the number key learning. It seemed like it was learning properly--red light flashes on the UIRT when I press and hold the key on the remote and I get the release key message from Sage-- but none of the tests work.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:14 AM
Sage User

Hmmm., this sounds strange...

You say you see a screen that tells you it wants to learn the frequency and bitrate of the remote? YOU SHOULD NEVER SEE such a screen??!! That screen (I believe) is for the ActiSys device!

-Jon
Old 02-04-2004, 09:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

saga continues

so on a hunch I tried to see if it was just the test feature that was broken and so I started using Sage normally instead of using the "test remote" feature and, lo and behold, it works. It controls the cable box fine.

I learned it [bad english?] in 1.4.10, it worked, and then upgraded to the beta 2.011 and it still worked. (I needed to change the # of digits sent by sage from 4 to 3 and I didn't know how to do this in Sage 1.4.10.

SO the moral of the story is, if the main functionality works, don't worry about the testing feature. or, in other words, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

BTW if anyone has the Scientific Atlanta 2200 STB and the USB-UIRT, I now have the sage ir file for that & can supply if needed.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:10 AM
Sage User

What is this 'test remote' feature anyway? How do you get to it and is it only in Sage 2?

-Jon
Old 02-04-2004, 11:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Jon,
It's in both 1.410 and 2.011. I'm not at my home pc so I can't tell you specifically how to nav to it but it's available when you've added a new [STB] device and then go back through setup and show a summary of your capture device and select the ir-controlled cable box.

apologies for not being more specific.
if no one else can answer w/ more detail by tonight I'll fill in the gaps with the prog in front of me. at least for 2.011 since that's what I've got installed now.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:24 PM

Well I'm glad it works at least. I do know that others have been confused by that initial screen(I believe this is a 1.4.10 bug) that pops up saying something like release the remote button, etc. However once they just went to the next step(not stepping backwards at all) the learning and testing parts worked fine. You screen sounds different and the fact that the test didn't work is totally different from my experience and the experience others have posted with 1.4.10.

As for Sage2 I know that the IR part is still being completed, as many have posted issues with it. So any 1.4 issues like the unneccessary screen could still be carried over at this point. I'd defintely backup your relevant files and try the wizard again so you can provide both Jeff and Jon with the necessary info to resolve this. Once you gather it all up, I'd not only give the info to Jon as he asks but also sumbit a bug report for the way Sage2 is behaving. This will help Jeff get the Sage2 IR functions up to speed much faster. My 2 cents.

Best of luck
Old 02-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

interesting question

so now that I got Sage to control my STB I wanted to set up girder to also be able to control my STB as well as other stuff in my AV system--I want to be able to use my ATI Remote Wonder as a universal remote using girder + usbUIRT

so I tried to have girder learn the remote codes to control my Set Top Box and it couldn't--the progress-bar-like indicator would continually restart and I had a hard time getting so that I could even press the button "Accept Burst" (girder users know what I'm talking about)--and even after getting to that point, the codes wouldn't work to actually control my STB.

but the sage learner picked up all the remote codes no problem--I even opened up my ir file from the sage directory and cut and pasted them into the girder learn|import box and then they worked in girder.

OK, where I'm going with all this is, it seems that Sage might have a better learning routine than girder--I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this? I am going to experiment further and see if sage will learn other remote codes that I've had difficulty teaching girder.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:56 PM
Sage User

No, the learning algorithm is inside the driver, and hence is the same algorithm running whether you're running Girder plugin (www.usbuirt.com/latestGirderPlugin.zip) or Sage.

However, keep in mind that the learn sensor is rather sensitive to position, etc. If you're having trouble with the learn progress, try moving the remote a bit further away or a bit closer. Also, try to keep the remote aimed steady at a point just to the left of the RED LED.

Another tip is to have fresh(er) batteries in the remote.

-Jon
Old 02-05-2004, 03:54 PM

Re: saga continues

Quote:
Originally posted by maximumpig

BTW if anyone has the Scientific Atlanta 2200 STB and the USB-UIRT, I now have the sage ir file for that & can supply if needed.

i could use that if you wouldn't mind posting it.

thanks!