SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

i'll post it tonight when I'm home
PS you can extract the codes from it (it is a simple text file) and use them in girder as well--each code begins with the number that it is for, like

0 xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

1 xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

2 xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

etc.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

mixtracks, did you upgrade to v2.12 of sagetv? Is your USB-UIRT sagetv/girder combo still working?

thx

davey
Old 02-10-2004, 01:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

hey mixtracks don't worry about it. I didn't have the shared girder plugin in place

Davey
Old 02-11-2004, 09:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sorry about the delay davey_fl, I have not upgraded to the Beta version yet.

I assume you have. Is the USB UIRT and the new Beta version working good? And is the sharing Girder plugin working well also?
Old 02-13-2004, 08:50 AM
Sage User

Newbie question

I installed the USB-UIRT last night and it did not change my DCT2244 cable box channels. I followed the instructions to install the appropriate drivers (API & irsage.dll ) as outlined on the USB-UIRT web site but I am confused as to all the steps that are involved. After the driver install I plugged in the USB-UIRT and then installed latest SageTV 2.0 version. I selected DCT2000 for my cable box (not sure if this is part of the problem since I have a DCT2244). I used my Hauppauge remote to learn through the USB-UIRT and it was accepted by the SageTV install software but I could not get SageTV to change the channel on my cable box. What am I doing wrong?

Do I unplug my Wintv 350 IR receiver and just use the USB-UIRT receiver/transmitter?

Do I run Wintv's IR remote software?

What remote do I use? Hauppage or Comcast (Aux device)?

Do I need any other software application to compliment the USB-UIRT or is SageTV 2.0 supposed to work after installing the USB-UIRT and associated drivers.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:33 AM
Sage User

cjr950,

It sounds like you may have inadvertently selected the DCT2000 canned setup file which is intended for the Actisys device and not the USB-UIRT. This will likely not work.

Here's what you'll want to try.

- Go into the Setup, Edit Source, ...
- Choose Cable Box
- Choose USB-UIRT, COM1
- Look at the list of STB's and see if there's one with 'USBUIRT' in the name. Choose one of those (even if you can't find a match to your STB)
- Individiually program and test the number buttons from your *DCT* remote.

-Jon
Old 02-13-2004, 01:21 PM

cjt950 and jrhees,

There is a bug in the current beta that prevents the Sage2.0.10-12 beta from doing/saving proper IR learning for some users. See this beta thread for an example of the bug effecting learning for controlling Sage. For me this also effected the process of teaching a Device(my cable box) to be controlled by Sage.

The last post in the thread talks about current workarounds. As for controlling your 2244, try the .ir file I posted(Digitalbox) for my cable box a while back. It worked for many users of different models like jon suggests.

Edit:I dug up the post where I attached the file. Here's the link to the post.

Last edited by justme; 02-13-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:08 PM
Sage User

Thanks to justme

Thanks to justme for your suggestions and ir file. Everything worked great. One question though. I enter the channel numbers on my Hauppauge remote and the channel does not change. I use my Hauppage remote through the Wintv ir receiver and I am able to pull up menus and change the channel with the channel up and down.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:49 PM

CJR,
I'm sorry I don't think I fully understand your post. Are you saying that you are able to do this with the Hauppauge remote and sensor but not with another remote and the USBUIRT? Also are you using the 1.4 version or the beta? I can't remember how 1.4 behaved since I've been using the beta for soo long. But in the beta some functionality is not in yet, I know that the numeric keys work for changing channel on liveTV in the .12 beta. Whichever version your using the key thing to check is that you have the numeric keys mapped to Sage's numeric commands.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Sage User

justme

Here is my configuration. I installed the ir file that you provided and SageTV will change channels on my cable box. I use the WinTV ir receiver for my Wintv 350 Hauppauge silver remote to contol SageTV. Everything seems to work fine except if I enter channel numbers directly on my remote. I can see the channel number entered on the computer screen but the USBUIRT does not send out a signal to the cable box.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:34 PM
Sage User

Help: Same old problem

I've read through the thread. Still have some questions.
At this point all I'm doing is attempting to setup USB-UIRT to control Sage on my client machine (transmitting/STB control is done on the server)

So I see that my problem is common. Learning doesn't take and returns each one to null /0.
What I can't determine though from reading is if anyone had success going back to 1.4 (I'm on beta)?, specifically to fix the learning issue. There is a muddle of transmit and receive issues in the thread, to be expected as it is for USB-UIRT.

The infrared light does flash on the UIRT, if that means anything.
Also is this a confirmed bug and a fix is forthcoming ?
I do have the latest drivers. I don't have Girder, but don't think I need that file ?

Thanks
Stuart
Old 02-17-2004, 12:46 PM

CJR,
So you're saying that if you select a channel in the Guide using the mouse or arrow/enter keys that Sage will change the channel on your cable box. But when you use the numeric keys that Sage won't actually change channels when you're in the Guide or LiveTV screens.

I don't use the Grey remote anymore myself, so I don't remember the default command mappings but... In Sage 2.0.12 you need to press the "select" command after you press the numeric keys for the channel you want. This should change channels in the LiveTV screen and should cause the guide to highlight the desired channel(and start preview depending on your settings) on the Guide screen. Pressing select one more time will cause it to show that channel fullscreen. I believe the "select" command is mapped to "OK" on the Grey remote, but this is just from old memory.

Sorry if this isn't what you were after I've been using 2.0.12 and my Tivo remote so long I can't remember how things were before I customized them.

Last edited by justme; 02-17-2004 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:51 PM

stuartambient,

Quote:
What I can't determine though from reading is if anyone had success going back to 1.4 (I'm on beta)?, specifically to fix the learning issue.
Going back and learning in 1.4.10 worked for me. When I upgraded all my codes carried over to the beta.
Quote:
Also is this a confirmed bug and a fix is forthcoming ?
I would imagine it should be in the next release considering how many people have had/reported problems, but nothing has been confirmed yet. Please report it yourself if you haven't already. Every voice helps.

PS:The codes that are used to control Sage are stored in the sage.properties. If you know what you are doing you can backup your beta install's wiz and properties files. Downgrade to 1.4.10 for learning the codes to control Sage. Then upgrade to the beta and restore your wiz file so you won't lose any of the data for shows you recorded with the beta. Once you have these codes you could even paste them into your sage.properties file for your Sage server if you wanted. If this part sounds confusing to anyone just ignore it.

Last edited by justme; 02-17-2004 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by justme
stuartambient,

Going back and learning in 1.4.10 worked for me. When I upgraded all my codes carried over to the beta.I would imagine it should be in the next release considering how many people have had/reported problems, but nothing has been confirmed yet. Please report it yourself if you haven't already. Every voice helps.

Ack! After I installed the 1.4 client, it won't let me in, because it tries to connect to the server which is 2.0.12. Anywork around for this ? I'm not feeling like I want to downgrade a working configuration. Who would
Hmmm..

Stuart
Old 02-17-2004, 01:32 PM

I don't have any personal experience with server client configs, but if you can get 1.4 sever or client running on any computer. Then you can teach 1.4 the codes and then use the copy and paste method to put them into your beta installs. Make sure you back up your Wiz and sage.properties files before each install. Both as a percaution(protect your beta data) and you'll need the codes from 1.4 properties file after you teach Sage.

If you can somehow* get the codes in the format sage uses in the properies file for recieved(different format used in .IR file) codes. Then I can easily tell you how to paste them into your properties file.

*Downgrade or installing Sage 1.4 on another computer are the only ways I know of. Maybe someone else knows another way.

Last edited by justme; 02-17-2004 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:36 PM
Sage User

Justme,

Thanks for the help. If all I need is a file or snippets of a file, perhaps I can install a server 1.4 on this intended client machine, configure the remote and then grab that file before uninstalling ?
Does that make sense?

Stuart
Old 02-17-2004, 01:46 PM

Yep, that what I was trying to mumble out in the post above. Sorry, I'm getting a little sleepy so I'm having a hard time trying to get my point across in a coherent manner.

Here's a snippet of the relavent section of the sage.properties file from my setup, just as an example. It even has one of the null errors mapped to volume up.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sample.txt (2.4 KB, 298 views)
Old 02-17-2004, 02:31 PM
Sage User

It worked! Installed 1.4 SageTV, did the learn / link remote thingy. Copies the rc mappings out of properties. Uninstalled , then reinstalled client 2.0 beta. Pasted in properties. Working!
Thanks for all the help Justme. Hope I can return the favor someday.

Stuart
Old 02-17-2004, 02:40 PM

Quote:
It worked!
Very glad to hear it.
Quote:
Hope I can return the favor someday.
Thanks, but just do what you already do and help others when you can.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:24 AM
Sage User

justme

Everything worked fine with the remote last night. I was able to input channel numbers on my remote and then hit select to change the channel. Now I have to figure out why the beta keeps shutting down during the night. I go to bed with the prog running and check the computer in the morning and find that the prog is not running anymore. I usually turn off the monitor at night (no energy saving mode but juss turn off power) but there was a big problem today when I turned on the monitor and was not getting a signal from the computer. Had to do a power off and restarted. Not sure whether it is SageTV or a conflict with WinTV in slot 1. Maybe I will run Win2000 for a night to see what happens.

Home built computer:
Asus P4B533-E
Celeron 2.0
512kb memory
ATI 9200 SE
WinTV 350 (slot 1)
Raid 0 with 2 120's (total 240)
Onboard audio
Onboard lan