SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

This thread appears to be dead.

I was just wondering if there is any news on the HD Extender?
Old 05-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Been hoping for this product for about a year now. For me this will be the most important thing sage can offer next. The 6.x version of sage is very nice, but for those with HD you have to decide to use a pc (not for me) or play the files with an external player. I use the Roku Photobridge that plays the files perfectly, but really look forward to the sage ui on a similiar device. It would really be nice if someone from sage could chime in and give us some sort of news ....

Darin
Old 05-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
This thread appears to be dead.

I was just wondering if there is any news on the HD Extender?
Maybe people figured out that congratulating Sage for a product that doesn't exist yet was pretty pointless. When I can go to the online store and add one to my cart is when I'll congratulate them...
Old 05-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfresh23 View Post
Maybe people figured out that congratulating Sage for a product that doesn't exist yet was pretty pointless. When I can go to the online store and add one to my cart is when I'll congratulate them...
Well, since I saw it face to face at CES and was impressed by it, I thought I would congratulate them on it. :-)

They still have about 45 days left to hit their original Q2 target, but this is a pretty bold product extension for them - Sage isn't a hardware company. So they will might be late on this.

If Apple wasn't being so lame about mac mini updates I probably would have gone that route a couple months ago.

Thanks,
mike
Old 05-31-2007, 10:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Any updates you care to toss our way official Sage TV types? The HD extender is very eagerly awaited by just about everyone!!!!
Old 06-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just 30 days to go!

It's coming, .... er.. it is... isn't it?

Hello?

Anyone there? ....?

Old 06-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotheDVDeed View Post
Just 30 days to go!

Hello?

Anyone there? ....?

They never gave a hard commitment that it was going to be here in Q2, just that it probably would be here then. I wouldn't count on it being here in 30 days - it's a very new type of product for them.

I do think it's odd that noone from Sage has commented on where they are in the development and production process though. I don't think this info would give their competitors a competitive advantage, but it would help those of is thinking about building a SFF client as an alternative.

Thanks,
mike
Old 06-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
They never gave a hard commitment that it was going to be here in Q2, just that it probably would be here then. I wouldn't count on it being here in 30 days - it's a very new type of product for them.

I do think it's odd that noone from Sage has commented on where they are in the development and production process though. I don't think this info would give their competitors a competitive advantage, but it would help those of is thinking about building a SFF client as an alternative.

Thanks,
mike

Actually, as I reread this thread, the following quote is the only mention of a date anyone has:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
From what George said.. Q2

B
While I trust bcjenkins, you gotta admit, that's a pretty light statement to get your hopes up for anything.

Stu
Old 06-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Sage Icon

They told me Q2 as well, and the employees were telling me about the testing of it they were doing at home.

However, this is a hardware platform for them. There could be any number of issues related to the supplier of the hardware that could affect availability, importing issues, or a whole host of other snafus. I don't think they have done a lot of work with Asian ODM's before.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Sage Icon

I would expect at least another statement of some sorts at the end of the month.-
Old 06-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Glad to hear you all like the HD extender and the new media server. They'll be out sometime in Q2 of '07.

Most of your discussions are pretty accurate so far on it. You're all pretty good guessers.

And it does play HDD based DVDs since that was asked a few times. And it can also do 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i output over component or DVI.
So I can't believe what the Chief Technology Officer and Founder says?
Old 06-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
So I can't believe what the Chief Technology Officer and Founder says?
Didn't mean to say that; obviously I missed that post. I did look for other references to Q2, but the search engine thought the term "Q2" was too short. The point I was trying to make was that AFAIK, the only mention of a date was based on a conversation at a tradeshow; no one should be freaking out about a date in that context.

Obviously, Narflex's post changes that, and we should all become screaming rabid idiots when June 30 rolls around.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainswor99 View Post
...and we should all become screaming rabid idiots when June 30 rolls around.
And this is different than usual, how?
Old 06-02-2007, 04:39 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Just 30 days to go!

Hello?

Anyone there? ....?

You see people, this is why they don't announcement anything until they know the product is finalized and ready to ship. They shouldn't even mention a "Q2" time frame. Now if they don't have anything ready in 30 days, there will be an angry mob gathering, the pitch forks and torches kind. BURN THE SAGETV WITCH!!!

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:27 AM
Sage Icon

I wouldn't mind waiting a couple of months more than expected if the end product ends up being better. The HD extender has to be able to do what the MVP does and more. The MVP took time to mature.

I think SageTV is weighing which is better, an "angry mob gathering" on 1st July or "outraged" users who bought the HD extender but thought that it wasn't what they expected...
Old 06-02-2007, 07:10 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I wouldn't mind waiting a couple of months more than expected if the end product ends up being better. The HD extender has to be able to do what the MVP does and more. The MVP took time to mature.

I think SageTV is weighing which is better, an "angry mob gathering" on 1st July or "outraged" users who bought the HD extender but thought that it wasn't what they expected...
considering what the mvp is i don't see how the hd extender will be any different except more native audio/video standards supported?
Old 06-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Sage Icon

Yes. The HD extender is different hardware with more complex requirements for HD output.
My point is that MVP support took a long time to mature. From my point of view MVP support matured with release 6.0. Previous versions had lacking features.

It wouldn't make sense to release an HD extender with less functional features than the MVP and this take time....
Old 06-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
My point is that MVP support took a long time to mature.
Not only that, but the hardware wasn't quite soup yet on the initial run from Hauppauge. I want a HD extender, but I won't be the first to buy one.

Anyone remember the problems with rev 1 of the PS2 and XBox?

Robert
Old 06-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Sage Icon

Shoudn't be any harder to get video on the box than a MVP, it streams and decodes the streams just like a MVP (just knows more formats natively), so that part should be much the same as a MVP. Now transcoding unknown formats will be similar to the MVP as well (code it into something that the HD extender understands). The menus & such are where I'd say it'll be different...

Quote:
Yes. The HD extender is different hardware with more complex requirements for HD output.
My point is that MVP support took a long time to mature. From my point of view MVP support matured with release 6.0. Previous versions had lacking features.

It wouldn't make sense to release an HD extender with less functional features than the MVP and this take time....
Old 06-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
You see people, this is why they don't announcement anything until they know the product is finalized and ready to ship. They shouldn't even mention a "Q2" time frame. Now if they don't have anything ready in 30 days, there will be an angry mob gathering, the pitch forks and torches kind. BURN THE SAGETV WITCH!!!
and if they don't have it ready by end of Q2 and the angry mob gathers, it will simply add to their incentive to not give us dates or functionality plans in the future....

Had it not been for CES, we'd have never heard a Q2 date to begin with.

All that said, I sure hope its ready soon.