SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Computer Games

Not sure if this is a SageMC specific question, or if I should post it in its own thread. Here goes ...

We're interested in giving the kids access to a few of their computer games on our pvr machine, to play them on the TV (so they stop fighting with us over time on our computers). Has anyone done this before, through Sage? I'd prefer to set up a menu item for their games (ideally a menu of games they could then choose from, rather than each game with its own menu item), which would open in their own windows (kind of the way the movie trailers play in their own player and then close again, without affecting Sage in the background).

I don't want them to have to minimize Sage and then double-click on a desktop shortcut. I can just see them inadvertently shutting Sage down altogether and we miss hours of recordings before anyone notices. But, if that's the way we have to go, we can figure something out.

None of these games are really heavy graphics or CPU consumers, if that matters. We're talking Reader Rabbit or Finding Nemo ... not hardcore games.

--Heidi
Old 01-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Sage Icon

Heidi. (An avatar finally!)

Don't know that it helps, but you might check into using SageTV in service mode. Then, you can shutdown the UI without worry that you will miss recordings. Back when I was having frequent crashes with Sage, in the V2 and V3 days, I switched to service mode, because the UI would lock up, and I'd have to CTRLALTDELETE to get out of it, and I'd miss several minutes of the recording. Service mode runs it's own, kind of server, where it takes care of all your recording and what not, and has no grief if you shut down the UI for any reason...
Old 01-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Sage Expert

I may be doing what you said you could do as a last resort...

I created a sub menu page that has all the games each on their own menu line item. The menu line item is set to use an external command to execute the game. When you set these menu items, you have a choice to minimize Sage and then resume after the game is closed.

I also set a sub menu page for radio programs I want to listen to during the day (I work with a radio program at Wisdomonline.org) From this sub menu I have used an external command to execute a shortcut set up to call the homepage of the radio program I want to hear...Then I have to use a mouse to click on listen. When I close the webpage, then Sage comes back full screen.

So, far its worked well for me..

Gary Ellis
Old 01-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Gameex

I use a frontend called Gamex. Call it from sagetv by adding a "games" link in main menu to the gameex excutable. When you exit Gameex sage pops back up. It will run many emulators, do karaoke, visual pinball, PC games and much more. Looks seamless if you use the same background you use in Sagetv. The change between the two can be tweaked to look good by changing backgrounds, fonts, etc. If you spend some time setting it up you can use the hauppauge remote to control it (by editing the irremote.ini file). Add some wireless USB controllers too. Of course it costs 25 bucks but it worth it to add the easy to use and access games to my HTPC.

Here's the link
http://tomspeirs.com/gameex/

Last edited by saltlyck2; 01-21-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Those both look like reasonable options. Will have to weigh pros/cons and see what to do. I'm OK with having to use the mouse for part of the execution. I mean, once the games start, we'll need the mouse/keyboard/whatever for it. We have a nice wireless set we use with the PVR, anyway.

GamEx seems pretty sweet. Anyone have any issues with it?

--Heidi
Old 01-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi Saltlyck2,

Any chance you'd be willing to share your irremote file with the rest of us?
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 01-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'd be happy to but...

I've added a lot to it to control various things on my HTPC. I've also set the green and red button to save and load state within the emulators. I've set it to where the back button exits the game or emulator. Up, down, left, and right work well navigating in gamex. I'm posting it anyway but beware. You might want to look it over to see how I've done it. THis one also controls touchtone audio, a jukebox program I run on a dual monitor(next song, and pause, start). It will also call winamps milkdrop program with one touch if winamp is running and you set it up correctly.

I've posted the file as a .txt file. If you really want to use it then rename it to irremote.ini and move it to your windows directory.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Irremote.txt (29.6 KB, 148 views)
Old 01-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Sage User

Does Gameex contain everything you need to play, except the ROMs ?
Old 01-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

You will need to set up the various emulators yourself. Once working you can run them from Gamex. It works quite well although I wish Gamex's load time was better. THere is a delay between sage and gamex of about 10 seconds. I just put a "loading" screensaver on the HTPC and it looks good while between the two. So, basically you get the emulator working standalone then call it from Gamex when done.