SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-10-2003, 05:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Aha ... this is the new TiVo remote that you are talking about (for Series2, I think). I only have the old Series1 TiVo remote without the selector switch, so I got confused ... now it makes sense
Old 12-10-2003, 06:04 PM

Excellent point, I didn't know the series 1 remote lacked this feature. I wonder how the remote's IR codes sort out. ie. Could I use my series2 remote, to control a series1 Tivo? Even if that worked could I control my series2 without the series1 getting confused and thinking the IR signal was meant for it?

Good thing I didn't purchase that series1 a while back when it was on sale. I was going to hack the series1 so I could extract the video for archival purposes. This is almost impossible on the series2. Thank god for SageTV.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, if you want to use a TiVo and extract video for archival, series1 is your only realistic option. I have one, and I used to do video extraction quite often ... but trust me, it is not trivial and final MPEG2 that you get is not compatible with many DVD authoring programs.

Boy, am I glad that I found SageTV

The TiVo remote is really nice, and is surely one of my most favorite ones (may be THE most favorite) ... that's why I initially got excited at the prospect of being able to use the TiVo remote with SageTV ... as well as with TiVo ... but without interfering each other.

Does anyone know if the new "dual device" TiVo remotes work with the Series1 TiVos ? I have a Philips HDR212 SA Tivo, if it matters ...

Last edited by sudipto; 12-10-2003 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know if the new "dual device" TiVo remotes work with the Series1 TiVos ?
I'm interested in this as well.

Sudipto,
Do you have a USB-UIRT? If you do we could compare the codes from your series1 remote to my series2 remote(both positions 1 and 2). It's not the simplest way to get an answer to the question but it should work if nobody can give us first hand experience. If nothing else I code make an Sage IR file using my remote that controls a Tivo. I could then post the file and if it worked on your Tivo you would have an answer. Of course all this is dependant on you having a USB-UIRT. As it uses a different file format than an IRman or other Sage compatible IR devices.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Unfortunately I don't have the USB-UIRT ... but I do have the IRMan. Is there any way I could list the codes received by IRMan ?

If so, will they be the same codes that you'd see with USB-UIRT ?

The TiVo Store description of this remote mentions compatibility with Series2, but doesn't say anything if this will work with Series1 units.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

I no longer use my series 1 tivo, but I've given it to my girlfriend. I purchased a series2 remote off the tivo website. The series2 remote does work with a series 1 tivo (at least with the one my girlfriend now has, which is an HDR112, so it's among the oldest tivos out there). Also, by using the series 2 remote with sage, and not having need to control a tivo with it, I can use the DVR 1/2 switch to effectively double the amount of buttons I have available.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

It is good to know that the series2 remote does work with series1. I am guessing that when using an S2 remote with S1, it will only work in either "DVR-1" -or- "DVR-2" mode, but not BOTH. In fact I NEED it to work this way, so that I can effectively use a series2 remote to control S1 TiVo in "DVR-1" mode (say) and SageTV in "DVR-2" mode ... without causing interference to each other.

JJarmoc: How does the S2 remote work with S1 TiVo ? Do you have to set it in "DVR-1" mode or "DVR-2" ? If it is "DVR-1" (say), then does it try to control the TiVo at all when the S2 remote is set to "DVR-2" mode ?

Also, does the S2 remote work with S1 TiVo out of the box, or do you have to setup something in the TiVo ?
Old 01-24-2004, 12:19 PM
Sage Expert

Personal I like the X10 RF/IR Universal remote. For about $40 you have a pretty good remote to use for all your components.

Here is it at my site:
Phenix Technologies

Here it is at Home Theater Computer:
Home Theater Computer
Old 01-24-2004, 05:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have used both a Pronto remote (first a TS1000, then the TSU3000NG) and am now using an MX-700 remote to control SageTV. For occasional users and "non-technical" users, it is hard to beat a remote like Pronto. This gives you virtually unlimited ability to customize the layout of the remote, with the correct button labels. And with the NG, it comes with a 4-way cursor pad and extra hard buttons, so for the common tasks, it is very easy to use. Yes, the lack of the "feel" of hard buttons can put off "power users" who click like mad on their remotes.

The MX-700 is an excellent compromise, as it has a number of hard buttons, many with the correct labels for use with Sage. Also, it has buttons that can be labeled with the LCD screen. The only downside is that the labels can be a max of 5 characters, so sometimes creative abbreviations are required. It doesn't have quite the flexibility of the Pronto in terms of programming, but if you have a number of other devices that need to be controlled (receiver, display, etc.) then this is an excellent remote to use. A bit expensive, but worth it. I got mine Open Box at a reduced price from BlueDo.com.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

Here is what I did. It might give you some ideas.

I bought a $15 Phillips learning remote at WalMart, scanned it, and used Visio to label it. Cut out the button holes with an Xacto knife, coated it with clear enamel, and used Spray Mount temporary adhesive to stick the overlay on the remote.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg remote overlay 4109.jpg (40.3 KB, 760 views)
Old 01-27-2004, 02:02 PM
Sage User

MX-500 + MX-2 $99.99 shipped free

FWIW, Buy.com has the MX-500 + MX-2 remotes for $99 shipped free on their 24-hour sale.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90127891&loc=19062

-Frank
Old 02-02-2004, 03:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

framage - thanks for the tip. I placed an order for the MX-500 at Buy.com. They were backordered, but have finally shipped it out.

I think Dan himself uses this remote as well. I have read some great reviews of this remote and am looking forward to this one finally solving my remote crisis.

For anyone wondering about the Hauppauge silver remote, it works well but is not as responsive as some other remotes I have used and is weaker than I would like. It is a great "first remote" to use with Sage, but eventually you may want to move on to something better.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:27 AM

Yeah, I want to say thanks as well. I managed to order mine before they ran out, so mine should be here this week. I'll be looking forward to retiring(over 3 years old) my Sony RM-AV2100. That thing is literally 3.75X7 inches, what a monster. Still until this deal on the MX500 I hadn't found anything that was a good mix of a hard button remote and still had some LCD functions like my Sony. If it turns out half as good as the reviews I'll be happy.

Now I just need to get a new remote for my wife. I'm leaning towards one like phenixdragon sells. If he remembers to send me a better detail picture, Hint phenixdragon, Hint.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by sudipto
framage - thanks for the tip. I placed an order for the MX-500 at Buy.com. They were backordered, but have finally shipped it out.

I think Dan himself uses this remote as well. I have read some great reviews of this remote and am looking forward to this one finally solving my remote crisis.

You'll like the range... you can bounce it off the back wall Checkout the three macro buttons, too.

-Frank
Old 02-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Sage User

Girder.xml

andrewswright: would like to see your girder file, if you could post it. Thanks,

Michael
Old 02-04-2004, 07:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

I recently purchased an MX-600. It's essentially an MX-500 with and RF sender receiver. I have to keep my receiver and one of my cable boxes in a cabinet, so not all of my equipment is IR line-of-site. I think it works just great. It works with the components out in the open. It works great with the components in the cabinet. I've had a bazillion different remotes and this is by far the best one. With 2.0.11 to play around with, now I'm sittin pretty.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

justme I have a question for you about the tivo remote. I've got one that also has the select switch (sat/tv) it's a philips. It seems the volume doesn't repeat, meaning I have to keep pressing it to change the volume. Is there a way to fix this? possibly in girder?

thx

davey
Old 02-13-2004, 01:29 AM

davey_fl,
I have my Amp's volume/mute control "punched thru" for both devices(Tivo/SageTV) on my Tivo remote. All of my equipment goes thru my amp. So it's the only volume control I need to worry about after all other devices are initially adjusted. With all the junk I have it's the only way to avoid the volume suddenly jumping when switching devices.
Quote:
It seems the volume doesn't repeat, meaning I have to keep pressing it to change the volume. Is there a way to fix this? possibly in girder?
Maybe one of the other device codes in the Tivo remote will behave differently. Some devices send one code for the button press and a new code when it's released. What you need is a device that repeats the same code at a certian rate until the button is released. I can't say which device codes in the Tivo remote would be the one you after. If you're interested in finer control then from everything I've read Girder is definitely the way to go. It's an almost certianty, you could easily do this with girder. Unfortunately when it comes to girder I'm definitely not the best one to ask, I originally chose the the USB-UIRT to avoid learning girder.

Last edited by justme; 02-13-2004 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

So I have been using the MX-500 for a few days now, and it is truly a great remote ! I have finally found a remote that is truly universal and really usable at the same time.

However, I do have one problem using it to issue commands to SageTV. I was trying to use my IRMan (hooked to COM1, if that matters) and then go to Setup->Detailed Setup->Commands menu and try to link the commands to the IR codes. However, whichever button I press on the remote, SageTV thinks it is the same button as the previous one.

So, for example, I first link the LEFT command to the left joystick button on the MX-500. Then when I try to link the RIGHT command and press the right button on the remote, SageTV gives me a message saying that this code is already linked to the LEFT command, do I want to re-assign it ?

Anyone else seen this problem ?

For now I have reverted back and using the Hauppauge Remote Sensor and have taught all the Hauppauge Silver Remote commands to the MX-500 and using that to send commands to the Hauppauge sensor; but eventually I would like to use the IRMan and would appreciate feedback from anyone that has seen (and hopefully solved) this problem.

One last question; my SageTV is currently configured to use the Hauppauge Remote. If I want to use IRMan, do I have to re-install Sage WITHOUT the "configure hauppauge remote" option ?
Old 02-13-2004, 11:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have the same problem but have not found a solution ( assuming their is one). I have tried a few remotes and depending on the remote I get this messag at different points. For instance Sage all the numeric keys from one remote but when I learn the mute button and the details button I get this "unlink message". I use the usbuirt device for learning. My guess it is a Sage problem as it is not likely that the remote is putting our the same code for two different keys.