SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Sage Expert

It seems like no matter what I change my merits to (very high for nvidia and low for SageTV), the default graph does not use nvidia's transport demux. Initially, SageTV's splitter was being used. I lowered its merit and then saw that the Nero splitter is being used. How do I get nvidia's to be the default?

Note that I'm testing the graph on a HD .mpg file. Is that the issue? Or do I need to keep playing around with my merits?
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 03-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

The only problem that remains for me is that I was having SageTV load into the system tray on startup (I use SageTV Service). After making the recommended changes, Sage would load full screen and refused to close (it would eventually with a lot of persuasion). I decided to change the startup option to not load SageTV at startup; the service still loads at startup. After a reboot or fresh start, I just load the GUI manually. Once it is loaded it sleeps in the tray just fine. Since I normally just put the HTPC into S3, it isn't a problem doing it this way. Just one extra step when I reboot. Well worth it in my opinion.

Thanks again.

Wayne
Old 03-05-2007, 12:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by LehighBri
It seems like no matter what I change my merits to (very high for nvidia and low for SageTV), the default graph does not use nvidia's transport demux. Initially, SageTV's splitter was being used. I lowered its merit and then saw that the Nero splitter is being used. How do I get nvidia's to be the default?

Note that I'm testing the graph on a HD .mpg file. Is that the issue? Or do I need to keep playing around with my merits?
Putting all others to 00000000 should do it. Or set Nvidia to something really high like 09040000.
Currently using SageTV Media Center Server on Windows 7, SageTV Client as an HTPC on Windows 7, and an HD Theater HD200. The server controls 3 Motorola DCH-3200 cable boxes and 3 Hauppauge HD-PVRs (all Rev F1) with HD audio and changes channels via firewire WITH NO LOCKUPS. It's awesome.
4 Steps to Perfect Stutter Free Playback for SageTV
Quick Guide: How to Bitstream Audio in Windows 7
Old 03-05-2007, 01:20 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by hechacker1
the reason why your colors were washed out is probably because of a driver bug.

I used this registry tweak to fix that problem.

http://forum.inmatrix.com/index.php?showtopic=4387
Thanks for pointing that out. I actually set Digital Vibrance back to default with the newest Nvidia drivers don't see any washed out coloring. I think I'll grey out that part of the post.

Currently using SageTV Media Center Server on Windows 7, SageTV Client as an HTPC on Windows 7, and an HD Theater HD200. The server controls 3 Motorola DCH-3200 cable boxes and 3 Hauppauge HD-PVRs (all Rev F1) with HD audio and changes channels via firewire WITH NO LOCKUPS. It's awesome.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillJones
I'm not sure the transport stream business is always a good idea.
At this point I'm not sure if it's a good/bad/or indifferent idea. My original thinking was that because .ts files are unprocessed mpeg files they would be 'cleaner' to use. Discussion can be read here as to why, in Sage, they don't really appear to be different at all. After reading stanger89's reply and doing a little testing it seems that transport stream and program stream files have both been processed to strip extra content streams from an HD recording. After recording the same show in Transport Stream and Program Stream format the resulting files were less than 2% different in size. This was probably just a difference in runtime due to commercials. The difference between an unsnipped .ts and a program stream file should be anywhere from 10-50%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillJones
You don't need to save as ts to use nVIDIA transport demux, it will demux mpeg files too.
I think you mean that it's unnecessary to set mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false, as Transport Stream and Program Stream files are both MPEGs.

And, after testing a little more, you are correct. The Nvidia Transport Demux does render HD MPEGs for .ts and .mpg files. After testing some this weekend, it is unnecessary to use .ts files to get stutter free playback. It was the first thing I did when I started trying to solve this problem and never went back. I'll update the first post with this info.

One thing I should point out, Nvidia Transport Demux will NOT render SD .mpg files. I have all my other demux and splitter filters set to 'Do Not Use' (00000000) and an SD recording will not render in GraphEdit. It will play in Sage though. My guess is that if Sage doesn't find a default OS demux for the SD mpeg it will use it's own. I have no idea how to verify this other than the fact that the file plays in Sage and doesn't render in GraphEdit.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by technazz
Has anybody tried this with ATI video cards?

I've always had trouble with my ATI x1600 with VMR9

Technazz
I have no way to test an ATI video card. It would be great if you'd give it a shot and report back.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
GollyJer -- I tried your method, step by step, and unfortunately I've got no improvement. VMR9 continues to stutter. And I've made sure that FSE is really on. I get a proper graph, showing all the Nvidia decoders, etc., that it's supposed to show, but the stutter continues.

Happy for those of you that it makes a difference. Just for me, it does not. Hopefully, the developers at Sage are furiously working away at the solution to the problem.
That sucks Ron. What video card to you have? Does the video stutter or tear at all if you watch it using GraphEdit? Hit the play button on the GraphEdit toolbar to find out.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Sage Fanatic

for those with stutter and wanting to use VMR9 please be sure you have the appropriate video card necessary, your HDD can read/write at a sufficient rate and that if you have an avermedia A180 then your sage recordings drive isn't a SATA device.

you wont get rid of stutter under any circumstance if any of those 3 things stated above is wrong. the HDD can be a real killer, i had a failing maxtor drive that wasn't showing in s.m.a.r.t. at this point but the read/write was at something paltry like usb 1.1 speed and stutter was horrendous.

for video cards, an nvidia 6600gt works just fine for vmr9 at pretty much any resolution (using FSE) so try and find cards that benchmark with similar strength.

if you have an A180, let me say it again, it WILL stutter if you record to a SATA drive with it.

try to be modest with your resolutions too. start at 1280x720 and work your way up. in other words if you have a 1920x1080p capable tv don't assume you can just set your video card to that res and it will work.

last but not least nvidia audio decoder absolutely wouldn't let me playback CBS hd content without stutter. switched to AC3filter and it plays fine - your mileage might vary...
Old 03-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

oh and one more thing - if you all switch to AC3filter and set it up as GollyJer suggested then get use to reinstalling AC3filter and having to set it up over again everytime you upgrade sagetv versions.

this is a real pain in the butt though it's one i'm willing to live with.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyJer

One thing I should point out, Nvidia Transport Demux will NOT render SD .mpg files. I have all my other demux and splitter filters set to 'Do Not Use' (00000000) and an SD recording will not render in GraphEdit. It will play in Sage though. My guess is that if Sage doesn't find a default OS demux for the SD mpeg it will use it's own. I have no idea how to verify this other than the fact that the file plays in Sage and doesn't render in GraphEdit.
I'll have to check my SD content in graphedit. Some stuff is recorded over firewire, other stuff over s-video so I'll try both.
You could verify your demux use theory by unregistering all the other demux's.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
That sucks Ron. What video card to you have? Does the video stutter or tear at all if you watch it using GraphEdit? Hit the play button on the GraphEdit toolbar to find out.
My video card is BFG Nvidia GeForce 7900GT w/256mb and the driver is 93.71. Processor is Intel Core2 Duo E6400 with 2GB DDR2. In graphedit, I get stutter free playback. However, in reading some of your recent posts, I realize that the one thing I did not do was to force ts recordings. I'll give that a shot. Heck, I've tried everything else, and I was the one that started the other V6 Stutter thread several months ago.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

I've just swapped filters from one that converts to ps to one that preserves ts. Dave Letterman is the only show I watch where I see micro-stutter. Everything else is smooth. so I'll let you know later this week if Monday's show was better or worse.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
My video card is BFG Nvidia GeForce 7900GT w/256mb and the driver is 93.71. Processor is Intel Core2 Duo E6400 with 2GB DDR2. In graphedit, I get stutter free playback. However, in reading some of your recent posts, I realize that the one thing I did not do was to force ts recordings. I'll give that a shot. Heck, I've tried everything else, and I was the one that started the other V6 Stutter thread several months ago.
Let me know how this goes Ron. If solves your stuttering I'll have to update the first post of this thread again.
After testing this weekend .ts actually didn't make a difference in my setup. I didn't test with every show I currently watch though.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbrNole
for those with stutter and wanting to use VMR9 please be sure you have the appropriate video card necessary, your HDD can read/write at a sufficient rate and that if you have an avermedia A180 then your sage recordings drive isn't a SATA device.

you wont get rid of stutter under any circumstance if any of those 3 things stated above is wrong. the HDD can be a real killer, i had a failing maxtor drive that wasn't showing in s.m.a.r.t. at this point but the read/write was at something paltry like usb 1.1 speed and stutter was horrendous.

for video cards, an nvidia 6600gt works just fine for vmr9 at pretty much any resolution (using FSE) so try and find cards that benchmark with similar strength.

if you have an A180, let me say it again, it WILL stutter if you record to a SATA drive with it.

try to be modest with your resolutions too. start at 1280x720 and work your way up. in other words if you have a 1920x1080p capable tv don't assume you can just set your video card to that res and it will work.

last but not least nvidia audio decoder absolutely wouldn't let me playback CBS hd content without stutter. switched to AC3filter and it plays fine - your mileage might vary...
All good points GbrNole. I'm going to add them to the first post. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have an A180 in my system along with 2 SATA drives and DO NOT have stutter problems with it. IIRC, the problem is between the A180 and certain SATA controllers (Silicon Image, I think). There was a thread about it over on AVS a while back.

I don't notice any difference between PS and TS files except occaisionally I will record a program and if it is a PS the time scale is stuck at zero and if I try to FF or REW I end up back at zero. I haven't seen the problem at all recording files as TS. The last show that I remember this on is Beauty and the Geek. I would usually end up watching it outside of Sage so I could FF through the commercials.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I don't notice any difference between PS and TS files except occaisionally I will record a program and if it is a PS the time scale is stuck at zero and if I try to FF or REW I end up back at zero. I haven't seen the problem at all recording files as TS.
This can happen with TS too, in fact it happened to me on a recording last week. That was the first time in a while though, now that I've got a high-quality drop-amp in the attic my cable signal is much cleaner than it was and I have fewer problems.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Sage Icon

I'm also having no problem with SATA and my A180. I'm using an Sil 3512 so I'm not sure it is even all Silicon Image drive controllers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaszoo
I have an A180 in my system along with 2 SATA drives and DO NOT have stutter problems with it. IIRC, the problem is between the A180 and certain SATA controllers (Silicon Image, I think). There was a thread about it over on AVS a while back.

I don't notice any difference between PS and TS files except occaisionally I will record a program and if it is a PS the time scale is stuck at zero and if I try to FF or REW I end up back at zero. I haven't seen the problem at all recording files as TS. The last show that I remember this on is Beauty and the Geek. I would usually end up watching it outside of Sage so I could FF through the commercials.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred
I'm also having no problem with SATA and my A180. I'm using an Sil 3512 so I'm not sure it is even all Silicon Image drive controllers.
I remember reading about this with the Sil 3112 controller but can't find it now. I've pm'd GbrNole for a reference to this problem. Until we have some more proof I'll put a disclaimer on the first post.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I remember reading about this with the Sil 3112 controller but can't find it now. I've pm'd GbrNole for a reference to this problem. Until we have some more proof I'll put a disclaimer on the first post.
I don't remember which one it is, but I seem to remember it was just one of them. I like the disclaimer idea to prevent the spread of mis-information (my specialty!).

Wayne
Old 03-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Sage User

I must have missed something, or have things out of sequence. First here is my setup:

SageTV Server
Dell GX260 P4 2.4Ghz with 1GB RAM
Windows XP Pro SP2
Dedicated PATA 160GB drive with 64k clusters
HDHomerun

SageTV Client
Dell GX280 P4 3.2GHz with 1GB RAM
Windows XP Pro SP2
Nvidia GeForce 7300GT

I have been having stuttering problems, so I followed the steps in this thread and downloaded PureVideo, DirectShow and GraphEdit.

I installed PureVideo and then ran DirectShow setting the merits as instructed. I opened GraphEdit and rendered a recording and got the same graph shown in this thread which I thought was real progress.

In the SageTV client setup VMR9 is set along with 3D accelerate and FSR is on. When playing back a recording I still get stuttering, What concerns me is I do not see PureVideo in the system tray, or any way to configure it. I don't see any application or process that indicated that PureVideo is running.

So the questions that come to mind are:

1 Is the Server setup adequate to record the HD streams?
2 All configuration changes have been made on the client side, should some be on the server?
3 Is there a trick to implementing PureVideo?

I know I have been long winded, but wanted to provide as much information that I could. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.