SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-20-2007, 09:45 AM
Sage Expert

How many people are having stuttering using Java 1.6? I'm not a basketball fan, so I don't have many longer recordings (where I get stuttering), but I did record Dancing WTS last night, and there was no apparent stuttering even near the end of the 2 hour recording. The only change I've made is the Java update.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Sage

IMPORTANT OFFICIAL INFORMATION

I should have read this thread earlier...

Couple things to point out:

1) DO NOT set your system to record in transport stream mode. This is not supported anymore, and as noted in this thread didn't solve any issues anyways.

2) The NVIDIA Transport Demux will NEVER be used by SageTV. SageTV always uses its own demux for TS & PS files (which can be overidden by a reg setting but that'll break live TV, and this was never even discussed here)

3) I *think* the trick to getting the NVidia icon to show up in the system tray when using their decoders is to also use their post processor. You can set that in the properties file at: videoframe/video_postprocessing_filter=

4) We have no proof yet that V6.1 performs any different wrt stuttering vs. V5. If you have a reproducible case of this we would LOVE to hear from you. There's no doubt V6.0 had stuttering problems compared to V5; but all of those issues we found have already been fixed in the latest V6.1.

Sorry I dont have anything really constructive to add; but I figured straightening out some facts would help at least.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post

3) I *think* the trick to getting the NVidia icon to show up in the system tray when using their decoders is to also use their post processor. You can set that in the properties file at: videoframe/video_postprocessing_filter=
I would add that this does work, also if Nvidia is indeed your default decoder and Sage is set to default the icon will appear in the system tray.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus View Post
I would add that this does work, also if Nvidia is indeed your default decoder and Sage is set to default the icon will appear in the system tray.
I'll confirm the later is true. Has nothing to do with "post processing"
Old 03-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

1) DO NOT set your system to record in transport stream mode. This is not supported anymore, and as noted in this thread didn't solve any issues anyways.

2) The NVIDIA Transport Demux will NEVER be used by SageTV. SageTV always uses its own demux for TS & PS files (which can be overidden by a reg setting but that'll break live TV, and this was never even discussed here)

4) We have no proof yet that V6.1 performs any different wrt stuttering vs. V5. If you have a reproducible case of this we would LOVE to hear from you. There's no doubt V6.0 had stuttering problems compared to V5; but all of those issues we found have already been fixed in the latest V6.1.

Sorry I dont have anything really constructive to add; but I figured straightening out some facts would help at least.

Better late than never. Thanks for the post. It's good to have some official information.

So, the question is, how come JollyGer managed to fix his stuttering issues? Is there anything in his solution that would actually affect the way sage renders video?

GollyJer, Can you recreate the stuttering?
AMD Athalon 2400-M (2200MHz) 1Gb memory, nVIDIA 6600GT fanless, 1x300Gb pata, 1x500Gb sata, PVR-150MCE, Motorola cable box: firewire recording, MCE 2005 remote (OEM), Windows MCE2005, Sage v5.0.4, SageMC v6.13a, Pioneer PDP503-CMX 50" Plasma, HK630 HT receiver

Wish List: BBC radio player, AR correction in photo viewer, Netflix Watch Now
Old 03-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

Why isn't it supported? I'm using it for several reasons: First, the HDHomerun folks seem to recommend it, in fact the utility for adding the HDHR tuners to Sage sets this option if it's not already. More importantly, I still occasionally get those recordings where something's a little messed up in the timeline, and any attempt to skip forward or back restarts playback from the beginning. I have to fix these recordings by running them through Mpeg2Repair, but if I record program stream MPG's then I have to convert to TS first before I can repair them, a step I'd rather not take. Finally, some apps can't play back the Sage program-stream MPG's.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohn View Post
Why isn't it supported? I'm using it for several reasons: First, the HDHomerun folks seem to recommend it, in fact the utility for adding the HDHR tuners to Sage sets this option if it's not already. More importantly, I still occasionally get those recordings where something's a little messed up in the timeline, and any attempt to skip forward or back restarts playback from the beginning. I have to fix these recordings by running them through Mpeg2Repair, but if I record program stream MPG's then I have to convert to TS first before I can repair them, a step I'd rather not take. Finally, some apps can't play back the Sage program-stream MPG's.
Adding to this, I had one program (Beauty and the Geek; not currently airing) that if I did not record as a .TS it always messed up the timeline (and any attempt to skip forward or back restarts playback from the beginning). When I set Sage to always record HD as .TS the problem completely went away.

Wayne
Old 03-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

1) "Anymore" meaning as of the 6.1 beta? Because the 6.0 release definitely supports it (even though as you correctly point out it doesn't matter for stuttering).

2) I simply can't believe this to be true. All other things equal, if Sage is the system default demux I get stuttering and tearing (for HD content), with Nvidia I get none.

3) The trick is to set Nvidia MPEG decoder as the default and in Sage leave the video decoder setting set to default.

4) I only have proof of stutter/tearing vs no stutter/tearing with Sage demux vs Nvidia demux set as the system default in 6.0. Would log files help from each case help?
Currently using SageTV Media Center Server on Windows 7, SageTV Client as an HTPC on Windows 7, and an HD Theater HD200. The server controls 3 Motorola DCH-3200 cable boxes and 3 Hauppauge HD-PVRs (all Rev F1) with HD audio and changes channels via firewire WITH NO LOCKUPS. It's awesome.
4 Steps to Perfect Stutter Free Playback for SageTV
Quick Guide: How to Bitstream Audio in Windows 7

Last edited by GollyJer; 03-20-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyJer View Post
1) "Anymore" meaning as of the 6.1 beta? Because the 6.0 release definitely supports it (even though as you correctly point out it doesn't matter for stuttering).
The HDHR site indicates you need to run the latest version of their software to run Sage 6.1. I'm guessing now that's due to the TS issue.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyJer View Post

4) I only have proof of stutter/tearing vs no stutter/tearing with Sage demux vs Nvidia demux set as the system default in 6.0. Would log files help from each case help?

Frankie says:
Yes, Yes and Thrice Yes.

Get them log files off to the sage people and let us know what they say.
AMD Athalon 2400-M (2200MHz) 1Gb memory, nVIDIA 6600GT fanless, 1x300Gb pata, 1x500Gb sata, PVR-150MCE, Motorola cable box: firewire recording, MCE 2005 remote (OEM), Windows MCE2005, Sage v5.0.4, SageMC v6.13a, Pioneer PDP503-CMX 50" Plasma, HK630 HT receiver

Old 03-21-2007, 08:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Has anyone located a point in the log file where the demux that is in use for the current graph is listed? I don't recall seeing it, though I could be mistaken.

I thought I had pretty tangible evidence suggesting that I was able to control the choice of demux within Sage by registering and unregistering demux filters. Even if registering/unregistering certain filters isn't causing Sage to actually change which filter it uses, it certainly is causing changes to the quality of playback within Sage.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
The HDHR site indicates you need to run the latest version of their software to run Sage 6.1. I'm guessing now that's due to the TS issue.
What exactly is the "issue" though? It is still possible to record to TS with 6.1.4, I've been doing it for a while now. I guess I don't understand why Sage doesn't want to support this unless there's some technical reason they can't overcome (in which case I'd like to know what it is so I can decide if it affect me or not).

<Edit> Just checked HDHR release notes, the issue with 6.1 has to do with channel-scanning causing a lockup, not TS versus PS issue.

Last edited by jkohn; 03-21-2007 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohn View Post
<Edit> Just checked HDHR release notes, the issue with 6.1 has to do with channel-scanning causing a lockup, not TS versus PS issue.
Oh, I was just guessing. I don't think that would affect me since I don't channel scan--I just enter them.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Sage

The timeline issues in recordings is fixed in V6.1 so there should be no problems at all with the PS files that it generates.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

Always record in PS setting?

How do you set Sage to always record in PS instead of TS format. I have changed the Sage properties MMC line about digital tv to =true and I still get TS HD files from my HDhomerun and my Divco Lite. I have tried both the true and the fals setting and rebooted the system to make sure and it still records in TS format all the time. The funy thing is I have some older recordings before I added the HDHR that were recorded from the Divco in OTA HD that say they are PS files.
Is there somewhere else that I need to change a setting ?
By the way I get mostly studder free playback using the HDHR using QAM vs OTA on the Divco.
Thanks,Dave
Seasonic S-12 380w, NEC 3520a Onboard SoundStorm S/PDIF out
WD-Caviar 120GB IDE (System) Seagate (3) Baracuda 250GB sata (Pooled)
GF-7600gs Forceware 93.71 Nvida-Decoder V.4.02.223HDHR-Prime 3-Digital Fios ,HDhomeRun-Qam/FIOS
Clients:GA-MA78GM-S2H -AMD 4800- Sage TV Client-FireFly Remote - Amd x2 Turino LAPTOP - HD-100 + MVP Client DVR Verizon Fios/ B]
Old 03-22-2007, 06:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to millers_35
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefred99 View Post
How do you set Sage to always record in PS instead of TS format. I have changed the Sage properties MMC line about digital tv to =true and I still get TS HD files from my HDhomerun and my Divco Lite. I have tried both the true and the fals setting and rebooted the system to make sure and it still records in TS format all the time. The funy thing is I have some older recordings before I added the HDHR that were recorded from the Divco in OTA HD that say they are PS files.
Is there somewhere else that I need to change a setting ?
By the way I get mostly studder free playback using the HDHR using QAM vs OTA on the Divco.
Thanks,Dave
This should do it.
mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true

But if you are using service mode make sure you are putting it in the correct properties file.

Miller

Last edited by millers_35; 03-22-2007 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:31 AM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

Update on my testing and upgrade to V6.

I have upgraded my server and one of my clients. So far I have no trouble with HD playback in V6.

Hopefully I will have the second client done tonight. It has a good bit less horsepower than the first client so I will be interested to see if my results are any different. Not to mention that the same episode of Las Vegas over and over againg is getting a little old.

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 03-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by millers_35 View Post
This should do it.
mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true

But if you are using service mode make sure you are putting it in the correct properties file.

Miller
I changed it in the Sage Properties file and I still get TS files.Is this there a different one fo the Service Mode.
Dave
GF-7600gs Forceware 93.71 Nvida-Decoder V.4.02.223HDHR-Prime 3-Digital Fios ,HDhomeRun-Qam/FIOS
Clients:GA-MA78GM-S2H -AMD 4800- Sage TV Client-FireFly Remote - Amd x2 Turino LAPTOP - HD-100 + MVP Client DVR Verizon Fios/ B]
Old 03-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefred99 View Post
I changed it in the Sage Properties file and I still get TS files.Is this there a different one fo the Service Mode.
Dave
sageclient.properties

Old 03-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillJones View Post
sageclient.properties
No such line in the sageclient.properties. Maybe its missing cluld you show me or cut and paste that section of your file for reference. There are about 4 lines in mine referencing MMC but nothing about digital_tv.
Thanks, Dave