SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefred99 View Post
I changed it in the Sage Properties file and I still get TS files.Is this there a different one fo the Service Mode.
Dave
Turn off service mode before you make and save the change. Then turn service mode back on.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
No such line in the sageclient.properties. Maybe its missing cluld you show me or cut and paste that section of your file for reference. There are about 4 lines in mine referencing MMC but nothing about digital_tv.
Thanks, Dave
Oh okay, I don't have it in front of me, I was just assuming that if the sage.properties files doesn't affect the behavior then it must have an equivalent entry in the sageclient.properties file. It's generally true but obviously not in this case.

Sounds like Goodspike knows what he's talking about and not me.
AMD Athalon 2400-M (2200MHz) 1Gb memory, nVIDIA 6600GT fanless, 1x300Gb pata, 1x500Gb sata, PVR-150MCE, Motorola cable box: firewire recording, MCE 2005 remote (OEM), Windows MCE2005, Sage v5.0.4, SageMC v6.13a, Pioneer PDP503-CMX 50" Plasma, HK630 HT receiver

Wish List: BBC radio player, AR correction in photo viewer, Netflix Watch Now
Old 03-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
No such line in the sageclient.properties. Maybe its missing cluld you show me or cut and paste that section of your file for reference. There are about 4 lines in mine referencing MMC but nothing about digital_tv.
Thanks, Dave
I don't think the setting would be in the sageclient.properties file because the client doesn't do any recording and therefore wouldn't control a recording's file type.
Currently using SageTV Media Center Server on Windows 7, SageTV Client as an HTPC on Windows 7, and an HD Theater HD200. The server controls 3 Motorola DCH-3200 cable boxes and 3 Hauppauge HD-PVRs (all Rev F1) with HD audio and changes channels via firewire WITH NO LOCKUPS. It's awesome.
4 Steps to Perfect Stutter Free Playback for SageTV
Quick Guide: How to Bitstream Audio in Windows 7
Old 03-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyJer View Post
I don't think the setting would be in the sageclient.properties file because the client doesn't do any recording and therefore wouldn't control a recording's file type.
That is correct.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

Update: I have upgraded my second client to V6. I have tested HD and have had no troubles so far.

Sorry. It looks like I will be no help in resolving this issue.

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 03-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

HDHR always records as TS Divco does PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Turn off service mode before you make and save the change. Then turn service mode back on.
Ok,
I tried every combo I can think of. Service off, Sage Shut down and verified Sage Properties file reads (mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true)
I get PS files when recording digital OTA off of my Divco lite but the HDHR always records TS files from both tuners set To QAM.
To be honest it does not seem to be a problem because I get virtualy studder free playback from both digital SD & HD QAM recordings, but I am just curious why Narflex posted that Sage no longer supports TS files. Maybe the HDHR latest firmware update has something to do with it.
Oh I am using Sage vr 6.1.4RC. Not sure I want to install the 6.1.6RC yet.
Dave
Seasonic S-12 380w, NEC 3520a Onboard SoundStorm S/PDIF out
WD-Caviar 120GB IDE (System) Seagate (3) Baracuda 250GB sata (Pooled)
GF-7600gs Forceware 93.71 Nvida-Decoder V.4.02.223HDHR-Prime 3-Digital Fios ,HDhomeRun-Qam/FIOS
Clients:GA-MA78GM-S2H -AMD 4800- Sage TV Client-FireFly Remote - Amd x2 Turino LAPTOP - HD-100 + MVP Client DVR Verizon Fios/ B]
Old 03-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

HDHR TS Update

Quote:
Ok,
I tried every combo I can think of. Service off, Sage Shut down and verified Sage Properties file reads (mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true)
I get PS files when recording digital OTA off of my Divco lite but the HDHR always records TS files from both tuners set To QAM.
To be honest it does not seem to be a problem because I get virtualy studder free playback from both digital SD & HD QAM recordings, but I am just curious why Narflex posted that Sage no longer supports TS files. Maybe the HDHR latest firmware update has something to do with it.
Oh I am using Sage vr 6.1.4RC. Not sure I want to install the 6.1.6RC yet.
Dave
UPDATE
I think I found the answer in a post by Narflex.
Basicaly he said that this (mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true) only applies to local devices and not network encoders like the HDHR. He also said that Sage does still support TS file playback from other non local sources like the HDHR. I am not sure you can even get the HDHR to capture anything other than TS files. Maybe someone else can confirm this.
Dave
Seasonic S-12 380w, NEC 3520a Onboard SoundStorm S/PDIF out
WD-Caviar 120GB IDE (System) Seagate (3) Baracuda 250GB sata (Pooled)
GF-7600gs Forceware 93.71 Nvida-Decoder V.4.02.223HDHR-Prime 3-Digital Fios ,HDhomeRun-Qam/FIOS
Clients:GA-MA78GM-S2H -AMD 4800- Sage TV Client-FireFly Remote - Amd x2 Turino LAPTOP - HD-100 + MVP Client DVR Verizon Fios/ B]
Old 03-24-2007, 07:14 AM
Sage User

RE: HDHR TS Update

Quote:
UPDATE
I think I found the answer in a post by Narflex.
Basicaly he said that this (mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true) only applies to local devices and not network encoders like the HDHR. He also said that Sage does still support TS file playback from other non local sources like the HDHR. I am not sure you can even get the HDHR to capture anything other than TS files. Maybe someone else can confirm this.
Dave
My HDHR is currently recording PS. All I did was change the mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream setting to true.

To confirm I just did a quick test:
mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false = TS from my HDHR
mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true = PS from my HDHR

This is with 6.0.x not 6.1.x.

Steve
Sage Media Center (server): Tyan K8WE Thunder Motherboard, Dual AMD Opteron 246 2GHz, 4GB RAM, 2TB RAID array (8x300GB Maxtor drives), Seagate 750GB SageTV drive, WD Raptor 150GB System Drive, NVidia 6200, Windows XP pro.
Tuner cards: HD via QAM - HDHomeRun
Client Machine running Sage Client: ASUS P4P800-E, Intel P4 @2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, NVidia 7600GS <-new, 300GB SATA Drive, Windows XP Pro
MediaMVP for garage viewing pleasure
Old 03-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Out of curiousity? Does anyone out there have a stutter-free configuration *not* using FSE? I'm still not a fan of FSE, but that is the only way I, too, *almost* get stutter-free HD I plan to try the latest 6.1.x RC later this week to see if I notice any difference. PC specs are below.
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 03-27-2007, 02:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

Shouldn't this post be a sticky?
Old 03-27-2007, 05:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by astribli View Post
Shouldn't this post be a sticky?

I wouldn't think so, since nothing has yet been resolved. Once it is, then certainly a candidate for a sticky.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm leaving original post below for information, but after further experimentation I can not consistently recreate stutter or smooth playback for HDTV, doesn't seem to matter if I record as .ts or .mpg, use FSE or not. very weird....I have a clean install that I image using Acronis just before installing:

SageTV
nvidia decoder

so I should be able to do pretty good a-b comparisons...

-------------------------------------------------------------
I'm currently going through this as well, here is what I've found:

using hauppauge HVR-1600
FSE with VMR9
- no real difference. Having friends watch who do not know I'm changing the setting, they can not tell a difference. I feel it is slightly better in FSE though.

Turning off VMR9 mode and going to overlay seems to take care of the issue.

Using graph program (which is pretty good program), it is going from file to Sage to split audio/video, then through nvidia decoders (no ac3 filter)
I believe this program is just showing default settings and sage's settings would override it if different, but it is good program to try different decoders and watch frame rates. Interesting enough, i could not get any visible stutter using this, but could see differences in frame rate and the jitter parameter (around 1-2), but it played much better than in sage, which I don't understand why (Sage is all set to defaults for decoders)

Changing to recording in .ts made nvidia split the audio/video in graph program and had better frame rate and jitter at 0. Stuttering is also gone in sage. FSE mode now definitly has no effect. I'm not sure why I can't get nivida to also split audio/video for .mpg, but I'm working on that. Will probably not install/uninstall sage decoder and see what is used to split audio/video.

Does anyone know how nvidia post processing is supposed to work, if I select that Sage closes...

hopes this helps...

Last edited by OttoNP; 03-28-2007 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:42 PM
SageTVaholic

check this out: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...470#post215470

B
Old 03-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deitysteve View Post
My HDHR is currently recording PS. All I did was change the mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream setting to true.

To confirm I just did a quick test:
mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false = TS from my HDHR
mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true = PS from my HDHR

This is with 6.0.x not 6.1.x.

Steve
Sorry, your observations are not correct. The file extensions may be changing; but the actual content in the file is always TS if it's coming from a HDHR network encoder.

TS files start with 0x47 as the first byte (and every 188th byte after it) and for PS it'll start with 0x000001BA for the first 4 bytes. That's the definitive way to tell.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Sage User

TS vs PS

Quote:
Sorry, your observations are not correct. The file extensions may be changing; but the actual content in the file is always TS if it's coming from a HDHR network encoder.

TS files start with 0x47 as the first byte (and every 188th byte after it) and for PS it'll start with 0x000001BA for the first 4 bytes. That's the definitive way to tell.
I verified that the first byte is 0x47 for all files coming from my HDHR.

Why does SageTv change the file extension when the actual file type does not change?

Thanks for the information.
Sage Media Center (server): Tyan K8WE Thunder Motherboard, Dual AMD Opteron 246 2GHz, 4GB RAM, 2TB RAID array (8x300GB Maxtor drives), Seagate 750GB SageTV drive, WD Raptor 150GB System Drive, NVidia 6200, Windows XP pro.
Tuner cards: HD via QAM - HDHomeRun
Client Machine running Sage Client: ASUS P4P800-E, Intel P4 @2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, NVidia 7600GS <-new, 300GB SATA Drive, Windows XP Pro
MediaMVP for garage viewing pleasure
Old 03-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Golly,

Just wanted you to know this solved all of my SD stuttering issues and I was able to get the sound working properly through SPDIF.

Thanks for documenting this for us.

I think this thread should be made a sticky as it solves a good majority of stuttering and sound issues for a lot of folks.

THanks again.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkyjoe View Post
Golly,
Just wanted you to know this solved all of my SD stuttering issues and I was able to get the sound working properly through SPDIF.
Thanks for documenting this for us.
I think this thread should be made a sticky as it solves a good majority of stuttering and sound issues for a lot of folks.

THanks again.
You're welcome. It's great to hear this working for people. I do plan on testing whether setting the Nvidia demux is actually needed. After reading what Narflex had to say my guess is that Sage Demuxer + Nvidia video decoder + AC3Filter Audio decoder (which Narflex says is what Sage would be doing in this situation anyway) is all that's needed for smooth VMR9 playback.
Currently using SageTV Media Center Server on Windows 7, SageTV Client as an HTPC on Windows 7, and an HD Theater HD200. The server controls 3 Motorola DCH-3200 cable boxes and 3 Hauppauge HD-PVRs (all Rev F1) with HD audio and changes channels via firewire WITH NO LOCKUPS. It's awesome.
4 Steps to Perfect Stutter Free Playback for SageTV
Quick Guide: How to Bitstream Audio in Windows 7
Old 03-28-2007, 05:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
Out of curiousity? Does anyone out there have a stutter-free configuration *not* using FSE? I'm still not a fan of FSE, but that is the only way I, too, *almost* get stutter-free HD I plan to try the latest 6.1.x RC later this week to see if I notice any difference. PC specs are below.
My HD playback is smooth as silk in VMR9 with FSE turned off. My source is an HDHR running the latest non-beta software/firmware. I have a headless server and my client has an Athlon64 X2 4400+, 1Gb RAM, and an Nvidia 6600GT (pcie) video card running at 1080p. My software configuration is SageTV 6.0.18, JRE 1.6.0, Purevideo decoder (.223), and Forceware driver v84.21. (I saw a huge PQ improvement reverting to this driver version) I haven't tried upgrading to SageTV 6.1 yet.

Strangely, I have occasional problems with SD playback stuttering but not HD. I think it is deinterlacing related and I can get it to go away by hitting skip fwd or back once or twice.

Aloha,
Mike

Last edited by MeInMaui; 03-28-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
My HD playback is smooth as silk in VMR9 with FSE turned off. My source is an HDHR running the latest non-beta software/firmware. I have a headless server and my client has an Athlon64 X2 4400+, 1Gb RAM, and an Nvidia 6600GT (pcie) video card running at 1080p. My software configuration is SageTV 6.0.18, JRE 1.6.0, Purevideo decoder (.223), and Forceware driver v84.21. (I saw a huge PQ improvement reverting to this driver version) I haven't tried upgrading to SageTV 6.1 yet.
It may be that the 84.xx driver is the key to your success; unfortunately that driver doesn't support the newer cards that many are using.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have learned some things (still working), as mentioned before, in the nvidia decoder interlace modes, automatic, smart, and video all use 60 frames per second using fraps and film makes it 30 frames per second. I have found that 1080i seems to be most troublesome and have been concentrating on 1 clip. I have found that shows with scrolling bars or credits are very good at assessing stutter. using nvidia video and audio, i get pretty bad stutter in automatic, smart, and video. Setting to film helps, which makes sense send 1080i broadcast are at 30 fps. Interesting enough, if I change to the AC3 decoder it is much better. So, my settings from worse to best:

nividia audio and video decoders, interlace set to automatic, smart, or video
jumpy playback

nvidia audio and video decoders, interlace set to film
somewhat better

nividia video and ac3 audio, any interlace setting
best so far

in WMP playback is smooth no matter what the above settings are...