SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
Personally, I let the abundance of tuners on my system handle it.
Yeah, that's how I do it too
Old 08-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am having an issue since upgrading to one of the recent 6.4.x betas, although I am not 100% sure when this behavior started (less than a week ago). The problem may not even be related to the beta, not sure how to tell.

The issue is that SRE has stopped processing.

If I look at the status in the SRE servlet it reports that the last run was at Aug-15 21:59. So, SRE hasn't processed anything in about 2 days. I have rebooted the service, but that didn't make a difference.

Any thoughts on this? I am not sure how to debug or if/where SRE logs info regarding failures.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet View Post
I am having an issue since upgrading to one of the recent 6.4.x betas, although I am not 100% sure when this behavior started (less than a week ago). The problem may not even be related to the beta, not sure how to tell.

The issue is that SRE has stopped processing.

If I look at the status in the SRE servlet it reports that the last run was at Aug-15 21:59. So, SRE hasn't processed anything in about 2 days. I have rebooted the service, but that didn't make a difference.

Any thoughts on this? I am not sure how to debug or if/where SRE logs info regarding failures.
Which beta are you running? Typically I don't promise any of my plugins will work on beta levels simply because of the possibility of incompatible changes to the API, etc., but I can say that I'm running SRE on v6.4.5 and have been without issue for a couple weeks so I'm inclined to believe that SRE should run on any of the 6.4.x beta builds (though can't guarantee that for builds after 6.4.5).

The first step is to see if the SRE logs have anything to say about what may have happened. The SRE logs are viewable via the servlet. Only the last 7 days worth of logs are kept, but that should be sufficient here. Go back to the last time SRE said it ran and start looking at those logs. See if they tell you anything.

Next, if the actual plugin crashed and died then there should be an exception logged in the SageTV logs. Enable debug logging in SageTV and see if anything gets logged there.

Any time you restart Sage check SRE logs from the servlet to see if they're updating. If so then SRE is still actually running. If you're using IE then the "last run" timestamp may be cached - though I thought I fixed this bug awhile ago.

Let me know what you discover and then we'll go from there.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Which beta are you running? Typically I don't promise any of my plugins will work on beta levels simply because of the possibility of incompatible changes to the API, etc., but I can say that I'm running SRE on v6.4.5 and have been without issue for a couple weeks so I'm inclined to believe that SRE should run on any of the 6.4.x beta builds (though can't guarantee that for builds after 6.4.5).

The first step is to see if the SRE logs have anything to say about what may have happened. The SRE logs are viewable via the servlet. Only the last 7 days worth of logs are kept, but that should be sufficient here. Go back to the last time SRE said it ran and start looking at those logs. See if they tell you anything.

Next, if the actual plugin crashed and died then there should be an exception logged in the SageTV logs. Enable debug logging in SageTV and see if anything gets logged there.

Any time you restart Sage check SRE logs from the servlet to see if they're updating. If so then SRE is still actually running. If you're using IE then the "last run" timestamp may be cached - though I thought I fixed this bug awhile ago.

Let me know what you discover and then we'll go from there.
I'm running 6.4.6 of the beta (although, again, I am not convinced the beta is the problem, I just don't know what else would have changed on my system.

I restarted SageTV and no exception that I can see gets logged. I do see the two messages related to the SRE startup (Loading... Loaded...), but no errors

I'm using Firefox and after the SageTV Service restart, the Last Run time is still Aug-15 21:59.

The last message in the logs is from Aug-15 21:58:59

2008-08-15 21:58:59 Found 2 active recordings.
2008-08-15 21:58:59 XXIX Summer Olympics --> Too early to check status
2008-08-15 21:58:59 No monitor due to orig air date violation
2008-08-15 21:58:59 College Football --> No monitor

I see that SRE maintains a database "sre.sqlite". Does it make sense to delete the database to let it SRE reinitialize (or whatever SRE does when it doesn't find the database file)?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet View Post
I'm running 6.4.6 of the beta (although, again, I am not convinced the beta is the problem, I just don't know what else would have changed on my system.

I restarted SageTV and no exception that I can see gets logged. I do see the two messages related to the SRE startup (Loading... Loaded...), but no errors

I'm using Firefox and after the SageTV Service restart, the Last Run time is still Aug-15 21:59.

The last message in the logs is from Aug-15 21:58:59

2008-08-15 21:58:59 Found 2 active recordings.
2008-08-15 21:58:59 XXIX Summer Olympics --> Too early to check status
2008-08-15 21:58:59 No monitor due to orig air date violation
2008-08-15 21:58:59 College Football --> No monitor

I see that SRE maintains a database "sre.sqlite". Does it make sense to delete the database to let it SRE reinitialize (or whatever SRE does when it doesn't find the database file)?
Stop Sage, backup the old one, send it to me (via PM) and then delete (or rename it) then restart Sage. SRE should create a new db and then continue on.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Stop Sage, backup the old one, send it to me (via PM) and then delete (or rename it) then restart Sage. SRE should create a new db and then continue on.
Removing the sqlite file and restarting Sage has gotten SRE successfully monitoring again. I sent you the previous sqlite file via PM.

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

I can't tell if this is working or not really...

I'm recording a game today, and it does show up "green" in the SRE Servlet.

But in the log it reads:

Unable to find status for Milwaukee Brewers at Los Angeles Dodgers

Is that normal? Here's the complete log from the last few minutes:

2008-08-18 15:36:00 Unable to find status for Milwaukee Brewers at Los Angeles Dodgers
2008-08-18 15:36:00 Unable to find status for Milwaukee Brewers at Los Angeles Dodgers
2008-08-18 15:36:00 No monitor due to orig air date violation
2008-08-18 15:36:00 Found 2 active recordings.
2008-08-18 15:36:00 MLB Baseball --> Event is not over; nothing to be done.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Under Debug, it reads:

MLB Baseball

VALID

net.sourceforge.sagetv.sre.AiringMonitorMLB

Arrest and Trial

VALID

none
Old 08-18-2008, 04:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shield View Post
I'm recording a game today, and it does show up "green" in the SRE Servlet.

But in the log it reads:

Unable to find status for Milwaukee Brewers at Los Angeles Dodgers

Is that normal? Here's the complete log from the last few minutes:

2008-08-18 15:36:00 Found 2 active recordings.
2008-08-18 15:36:00 MLB Baseball --> Event is not over; nothing to be done.
According to espn.com, Milwaukee and LA are not playing each other today. Is this possibly recording an old game from say, ESPN Classic? The reason SRE is confused is because it's attached itself to the listing for Milwaukee at Houston, which starts at 8:05 EDT, according to ESPN. Therefore, SRE will continue to think the game isn't over until probably sometime around 11pm EDT tonight. Assuming espn.com is right, am I safe to assume that this game is indeed from ESPN Classic or something? Either way, SRE has attached the Houston at Milwaukee listing to it so it's going to record until 11pm unless you otherwise stop it.

There is a bug open that, when fixed, will hopefully plug up some of these confusions by checking for both teams instead of just one when attaching a listing from espn.com to a recording.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Need Some Beta Testers

I'm looking for some people to beta test the first v2.0 build of SRE. In particular, I'm looking for people to test the revamped web UI and provide feedback about it, bugs, feature requests, etc.

The core monitoring engine has not been touched so functionally this version should monitor anything just fine. If you're interested please reply.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Sage User

Slugger, I switched to the topic you suggested.

Well, I could have sworn I had SRE installed, I know it was at one time because I worked a number of times for me through the college basketball season. Anyways, it's not installed now as this is what is on the line you asked me about...

Code:
load_at_startup_runnable_classes=net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.StartServer
Would you mind taking a peek at my sre db just to make sure? Doubt it's the problem, but I'm not sure why only live sporting events would go obscenely over the end mark.

http://www.thecatalystchurch.com/downloads/sre.sqlite

Are there any log files to check?

Thanks for your help!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhessey View Post
Slugger, I switched to the topic you suggested.

Well, I could have sworn I had SRE installed, I know it was at one time because I worked a number of times for me through the college basketball season. Anyways, it's not installed now as this is what is on the line you asked me about...

Code:
load_at_startup_runnable_classes=net.sf.sageplugins.webserver.StartServer
Would you mind taking a peek at my sre db just to make sure? Doubt it's the problem, but I'm not sure why only live sporting events would go obscenely over the end mark.

http://www.thecatalystchurch.com/downloads/sre.sqlite

Are there any log files to check?

Thanks for your help!!!
The sre.sqlite database file you posted is from an extremely old version of SRE:

Code:
sqlite> select * from settings;
schema|1
sqlite>
DB schema 1 is basically from the first few releases of SRE. As a point of comparison, the database schema version for the latest stable release of SRE (v1.7.0) is 4.

Since you're using an older version of SRE, there should be a log file (sre.log or something to that effect) in the same dir where you grabbed the database file from. Check that file to see if SRE has done anything recently.

Is it possible that you have also installed SRE on a client machine? Do the same checks on any client machines (except check in SageClient.properties).
Old 09-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Sage User

Nope, no client machines. I did find the sre.log file, but the only thing that was in it was 1 line that said sre was started on aug 8, 2008. Maybe not exactly those words. I downloaded the new version this weekend and was going to upgrade. I tried the link to the documentation in the downloads section, but it no longer works. Is there anything special I have to do to remove any of the old files?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Nope, no client machines. I did find the sre.log file, but the only thing that was in it was 1 line that said sre was started on aug 8, 2008. Maybe not exactly those words. I downloaded the new version this weekend and was going to upgrade. I tried the link to the documentation in the downloads section, but it no longer works. Is there anything special I have to do to remove any of the old files?
If you're using the Windows installer to upgrade then just run the installer - it'll take care of any cleanup. If you're installing via the zip file package then you'll want to read this.

But if SRE isn't running, then I'd be more concerned about discovering why recordings are (apparently randomly) extending themselves. Recordings being extended up to 8 hours is a definite signature of SRE so I'm not completely convinced that it's not running. I'd stop SageTV then check Sage.properties after Sage has stopped and ensure the SRE class isn't installed then restart SageTV - this will ensure that SRE definitely isn't running. If by some chance it is running still and you're running a relatively old version then it's likely the parsers are out of date and that's why recordings are being extended.

Note: I'm putting together the finishing touches to the 2.0.0 release and part of the move is getting all the source code and docs moved into Google Code and off of my personal web servers, that's why any links pointing to my web server are dead. The link above is where I've temporarily copied the old docs (which will apply to SRE 1.x). SRE 2.x moves away from the web server plugin as it's runtime environment in favour of using the Jetty plugin as its runtime environment. Why do I mention this? You (and anyone else reading this thread who uses SRE) may want to get a jump start on getting the Jetty plugin installed and started up. The biggest feature of the move to Jetty is that you will not have to stop/restart SageTV to stop/restart/upgrade/remove/etc. SRE!!
Old 09-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Sage User

I will stop sage tonight and post the sage.properties file when I get home. Thanks for your help!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Sage User

Here is the sage.properties file when I stopped SageTV...

Sage.properties

I did a search for sre and did find references for it, but nothing at the load classes.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Here is the sage.properties file when I stopped SageTV...

Sage.properties

I did a search for sre and did find references for it, but nothing at the load classes.
Ok, well SRE definitely isn't running so I don't know what was extending your recordings, but it wasn't SRE.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I'm looking for some people to beta test the first v2.0 build of SRE. In particular, I'm looking for people to test the revamped web UI and provide feedback about it, bugs, feature requests, etc.

The core monitoring engine has not been touched so functionally this version should monitor anything just fine. If you're interested please reply.
I'd try it out for ya!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
I'd try it out for ya!
Snapshot (development) builds of SRE 2.x are now available. Please visit the new project web site at:

http://sagetv-addons.googlecode.com

From the project home page simply follow the two wiki documents found on the right side of the page for uninstalling SRE 1.x (if upgrading from a 1.x release) and installing SRE 2.x.

There are no official releases of SRE 2.x available for download from the project web site. Instead, you will need to use snapshot builds. An explanation of project snapshot builds is here and you can download snapshot builds from here.

I'm looking for feedback on the following:
  • Are the docs for removing 1.x and installing 2.x clear?
  • Feedback on the new UI
  • Bugs/feature requests
  • Feedback on the move to Jetty as the runtime environment
  • Anything else you can think of

I'm currently running snapshots on my SageTV server and they're quite stable and I suspect I'll be able to label one of these snapshots as the "official" 2.0.0 release of SRE in the near future, but I'm hoping to get some feedback from others first.

Bug/feature requests can be submitted to the project issue tracker here. Any other comments, etc. can be posted to this thread.

Key features of SRE 2:
  • Revamped GUI using GWT (Google Web Toolkit)
  • Move to Jetty as runtime environment (allows for removal/stopping/restarting/upgrading SRE without having to stop/restart SageTV!!)
  • Bug fixes lingering from 1.x release
Old 09-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

A couple notes on the upgrade to 2.x....

1) The uninstall instructions reference deleting: JARs\*sre*.jar, However, the file on my system was actually named: JARs\*sage-recording-extender*.jar (I think the name changed above a certain version?)

2) I like having a link to the SRE from neilm's webserver, so I also updated webserver\webroot\sage\menu_items.js to point to the new location of SRE on jetty (I also removed the reference to the SRE servlet from webserver\servlets.properties for completeness)

Initial feedback:

1) I thought the uninstall/upgrade was very easy. I think the ability to hot deploy is really cool. I also like that there are few, if any, manual steps to install 2.x other than to add jetty to the load at startup property in Sage.properties.

2) Since I like to link to SRE from neilm's webserver, I miss having the "Back to home" link at the bottom of the SRE web site. I suppose I can use the back button on the browser, but that is not as much fun

3) I noticed that the SageTV icon at the top of the page is clickable, but clicking it attempts to link to sage/home, which is a path that doesn't exist under my jetty server, so I get a 404 error.

4) Since I link to SRE from neilm's webserver, I get prompted for my username/password a 2nd time when navigating to SRE (since they run using different ports). Perhaps there is a way that I am not aware of to proxy the webserver through jetty or visa-versa?

5) Last Run on the About tab reports "Unavailable", even though the log shows that SRE is actively monitoring.